Freon level on 04 cc?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Freon level on 04 cc?

Post by Indigo04 »

I'm basically going to drain whats left in mine and fill i back up as best as I can, thing is my truck is lacking a label.

I just need to know the weight of 134a needed.
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Freon level on 04 cc?

Post by HenryJ »

No need to "drain" the system unless repairs are needed. Don't risk air and moisture in the system. If you have a leak and it is not cooling, adding freon may help. Knowing the total charge and weight may have value on a system that is totally discharged and evacuated, but not so helpful in diagnosing or recharging a system.
To do this properly a gauge manifold is needed so that you can see both the low and high side pressures. You then add enough freon to stay above the low side switch and stay below the high side cut off. The is a chart to consult that give the pressures at different temperatures.
Usually when you get to the point that moisture is condensing on the low side line, you have it right. Don't overcharge. Over and under charging produce poor performance results.
Haynes has a good book on air conditioning for automobiles. It is worth having a copy around.

If you are having serious problems, replacing the filter dryer/dehydrator and the orifice tube may be needed. That will require evacuating the system and then pulling a vacuum prior to charging. During replacement if debris is found on the orifice tube, that may indicate a compressor failure and further repairs needed. All the parts are usually around $450-$550 IIRC.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK