Rear window

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear window

Post by WileyHunter »

Has anyone here replaced the slider on their CC? I had to 'ahem...' gain access to the inside via the slider one day, and have now been quoted close to $500 by one of the national glass companies. That's too rich for my blood, so, I've sourced the glass (found that you HAVE to replace all three pieces :roll: ) for quite a bit less. Problem is, they tell me that it MUST be installed professionally. Is this really the case? Anyone having insight to guide my decision, I welcome your input. Want to go cheapest route possible, as I'm wanting to really start fixing up the ol' beast to "like new" starting ASAP. Thanks in advance.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Rear window

Post by ApproachMedium »

Do you really need the slider? If you know someone in an auto body shop and you can get a rear window one piece, or a good 3 piece set they should be able to replace it for you for much less than the cost of new. My first S10 had a rear slider and the glass was long gone. I replaced it with a piece of plexi glass when i first got it. A friend of mine had a spare rear window that was a single piece non slider that I got for nadda. I paid the local auto glass shop $40 and they installed it for me.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Is the CC back window the same as the other 94 and up S10's? If so just get a used one from any wrecked S10 pickup. Even if the window is unique to the CC you should still be able to find a wrecked one with a good rear window. $500 to replace a rear window is just wrong! I just had the windshield on my 05 ZR2 replaced and it only cost me $300.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think ours is the same as the standard cab rear window?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I think ours is the same as the standard cab rear window?
That's what I was thinking as well. I highly doubt GM made a special rear window just for the CC.

Steve
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Thanks guys. Sourcing the glass isn't really a problem, I'm stuck on whether I can DIY this or not. Right now I have the "Redneck fix" in place, camo duct tape and all ;)
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

How many times do you think you can redo it for that price? Even if you have to take it out and try again, I would think you will still be money ahead. They are wanting to rape you on this.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZLA7Nxwkco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT30iYfj89o

I'm not sure which style the windows of the crew cabs are, but these should help. The guy in the second video is much more professional.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

_STUCKY wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZLA7Nxwkco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT30iYfj89o

I'm not sure which style the windows of the crew cabs are, but these should help. The guy in the second video is much more professional.
Crystal clear instructions on this video, I'm sure with a slow pace this is a true DIY remove and install. An little help on the install looks like a good idea. LMC Truck has new replacement window on page 171 for $279.95 Clear and $299.95 Dark tint. That's frame and all.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN