Replacemnet gas tanks?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Replacemnet gas tanks?

Post by Lil-j »

I'm having a problem right now with my gas tank as some of you know. I need to replace the tank and have so far that the steel tank in the 01-02 crew cab's are damn near impossible to find. GM has discontinued them and I cant find an aftermarket replacement.

My question is, to the others here who have these trucks, have any of you had to deal with this? What did you do, did you find an aftermarket tank, a used tank? I'm just trying to see if someone else has dealt with this before to see if there is another to go down.

I think it's ridiculous to have to not drive an other wise good truck because of not being able to fing a replacement gas tank.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Replacemnet gas tanks?

Post by killian96ss »

Since nobody has asked, have you looked into getting your gas tank repaired? Steel tanks can usually be fixed unless the rust is everywhere. How bad is your tank? If it can't be fixed and you are unable to locate another new or used steel tank, what about swapping in the newer plastic tank?

Steve
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

My tank is pretty bad, I'd rather spend the money to get a new one and be done with it.

Not sure about he plastic tanks on the newer crew's. I figured it would be no problem but hanry said something another guy spending over a grand to swap. I dont know what would need swapped, the area under the truck should still be the same, how much differant can the tank be?
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Tried E-Bay?? Perhaps this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Tank-G ... d4&vxp=mtr Says it fits 01 ZR5 crew cab. If not that one I found numerous others through a little searching of links they provided such as: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... tank&rt=nc Should find one new or used there as your tastes or budget dictates. BTW the first one I listed is $109.80 new with free shipping.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

roadrunner wrote:Tried E-Bay?? Perhaps this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Tank-G ... d4&vxp=mtr Says it fits 01 ZR5 crew cab. If not that one I found numerous others through a little searching of links they provided such as: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... tank&rt=nc Should find one new or used there as your tastes or budget dictates. BTW the first one I listed is $109.80 new with free shipping.
These tanks dont work on the crew cabs. They are for 2 door s-10's. the fuel neck and vent line are reversed on my tank and the front is much longer.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

car-part.com

Plenty of used tanks out there. A whole page of steel crew cab tanks are listed.
Even if you need the tank straps , filler neck and hose to swap to the newer model plastic tank, it will be cheaper than buying a new tank from the dealer.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Plenty of used tanks out there.
His problem is that none of these salvage companies will ship a used tank because they've previously had gas in them. Someone would have to pick up the prepaid tank locally and ship it to him. :shrug:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:
His problem is that none of these salvage companies will ship a used tank because they've previously had gas in them...
The cheapest tank out there is less than a two hour drive from him. I think I'd go get it and save a few hundred dollars :)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Less than 2 hours? Where is that?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

car-part.com

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:
His problem is that none of these salvage companies will ship a used tank because they've previously had gas in them...
The cheapest tank out there is less than a two hour drive from him. I think I'd go get it and save a few hundred dollars :)
Good point and it seem to be the least expensive option so far.

Steve
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Do you mean the one in west virginia?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Detroit Michigan is the closest, then West Virginia and Flint Michigan are about a tie for distance. There are three more after those within a days drive. I'd probably skip the rusty one in Jenison.
Road trip! :rah:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I got mt road trip today. Beckley, WV to Charlotte NC for a ftont axle for my daughters Grand Cherokee, all 450 miles of it.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rlrnr53 wrote:I got mt road trip today. Beckley, WV to Charlotte NC for a ftont axle for my daughters Grand Cherokee, all 450 miles of it.
Nice :rock: Best I have done is 412 miles one way for parts! Of course it was running code at 80-85 mph with a liver transplant patient. People parts, not car parts ;) Left at 6pm and returned home about 6am the next morning.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I left about 6:30 am, got back about 6:30 pm. One of the most organized yards I've been too, too bad it's 225 miles away.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I wish I could do the road trip but my truck is running like poo and plus being broke, I'm just gonna have to live iwth it for right now, dont have a choice. Trust me, I'm married with 3 kids, I'd freak'n love to get away right now, my wife is still pissed about the $350 fuel pump, as if it's my fault.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you want a cheap fix , pick up some "Water Weld". It is a JB Product. Knead this two part epoxy stuff together until thoroughly mixed and press it into and over your leak. This stuff is a must have for any truck to patch almost anything. It will outlast the rest of the tank.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

HenryJ wrote:If you want a cheap fix , pick up some "Water Weld". It is a JB Product. Knead this two part epoxy stuff together until thoroughly mixed and press it into and over your leak. This stuff is a must have for any truck to patch almost anything. It will outlast the rest of the tank.

Where was this 7 years ago when the fuel tank in my suburban cracked a leak? LOL oh well. While we are on this topic, is there any advantage by switching to the plastic tank? Increased capacity? Lighter weight? Obviously corrosion proof would be one. I would consider this being that my tank is probably the only thing on this 254 thousand mile rig thats starting to rust. At the moment I am not about to fix whats not broken but if it gets to that point I would like to have my ducks in a row and ready to do something about it.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't see any advantages. They were prone to cracking at the filler neck and had problems with the smaller filler neck.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Where was this 7 years ago when the fuel tank in my suburban cracked a leak? LOL oh well.

Various J-B weld products have been around for many years. I have been using them for over 30yrs myself. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.