Removing headliner

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Removing headliner

Post by z28 »

Hey yall. As the topic says im looking for a little information on removing my headliner. Heres the story. My CC has a dealer installed sun roof that leaks quite a bit. I have let the dealer that installed it try to fix this multiple times and its time to take matters into my own hands. Im thinkin its one of the drain tubes which causes the need to remove the headliner. Iv never removed a modern headliner just lookin for a littel how to. I really just need to drop one corner far enough to get my arm in there so I hope I dont have to remove what is left of my over head consol. I know I will have to remove the plastic on the pillars and the O s#$% handles. Can anyone tell me if the liner is glued to the truck or is it just held up by the pilliars? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did a search and didnt find much. If anyone has a link that would be great too. Id like to know what im in for befor I tear into my daily driver.
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Removing headliner

Post by _STUCKY »

I'm very curious about this one.

I also have a sunroof installed in my 04. No leaks that I've noticed, but It hasn't rained practically all summer. My problem is it doesn't want to open all the way. Headliner needs to come out to do anything about it.
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

If memory serves right, my older reg cab had the same button style deals as the door panels.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

If you want to get the thing completely out of the vehicle, which you shouldnt have to for this job, you need to remove the rear window. For just lowering it you will need to remove both rear hooks and any grab handles on the ceiling as well as both front sun visors. Also the overhead console and dome light must come out. If you try to pull the headliner down and bend it at all it will crease and you can not fix it after that. Be careful pulling it down. There are usually metal or plastic clips slid in to the head liner board that attach it to the ceiling after all other items are removed. Sometimes you need to remove the A pillar covers also, which just snap on, and the B and C pillar covers too. I dont have my CC infront of me to double check all of this but that is the basic anatomy of removing a headliner from a modern vehicle.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
z28
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by z28 »

As usual one problem leads to another. I got the head liner pulled down a little ways, enough to get my hand in there. The edge of the liner was glued but nothing else is glued. Not sure why though the grab bar and coat hanger are enough to hold it. Anyway, found a small hole in the sun roof tray. After a little epoxy that hole is gone and i guess we will see how well it works next time it rains. I am still not sure how the head liner was originally fastened. Most of the cardboard has been removed from mine for the sunroof and the extra space is now stuffed with foam. I dont really like it but thats how it will stay for now. Mine liner is not in the back window either. The original board is still across the back and the liner is rolled over and glued to the top of it so as far as i can tell the window would not have to be removed to remove the entire head liner. @STUCKY mine used to do that. It would get stuck about half way. I found it had jumped off the tracks. May be something to check if you havnt already.
P82100334x6.jpg
P82100404x6.jpg
The first one is the mess of foam that was installed with the sunroof and the second one is the leak.
2003 S10 Crew Cab ZR5