Buying a 2003 CC today

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Buying a 2003 CC today

Post by Chadwick »

Will be leaving in about an hour to look at it. It's got 94,000 miles on it. Body looks perfect except the clearcoat on the hood is peeling. Already checked on the cost to get that fixed at a local body shop. $300

This truck has a salvage title on it. The owner bought it from a place in Lexington Ky that told him the previous owner hit a deer. The dealer failed to mention that all the 4x4 linkage and control stuff was not put back on. He discovered the issue the winter 2009 and paid $1750 to get all of that put back in place. My thinking is along the lines that the 4x4 should be like new.

I'm going to give it a test drive today and if all seems good I'm buying this truck.

Is there any pointers, tips, or things that the community here can suggest I check out or take a look at before moving forward with this purchase?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Buying a 2003 CC today

Post by HenryJ »

Check the coolant. If it is the Orange Dex, make sure it is clear and clean. Crystals or a muddy appearance can spell problems. Look for leaks around the base of the intake front and rear. At the rear it usually leaks down over the starter. Flip the inner fender flap too see that. Check the radiators plastic tanks for swelling , cracking or leaks.

Corrosion: Battery tray corrosion. That means the 4x4 actuator underneath it is in jeopardy. Check for rust out of the fuel filler neck.

Rear differential. Make sure you have the G80 rear axle and the breather has been relocated. If it has not the rear diff could be full of water. It you want bigger tires make sure it has the 3.73 gears. If you are comfortable with the stock optional 29" tall tires the 3.42 ratio will get better mileage.

Check the vacuum lines behind the brake booster. Dry rot and or fluid inside are problems. The fluid spells disaster for the 4x4 and HVAC systems.

Check for dampness on the passenger floor board. That can mean a leaking heater core and a HUGE task to replace it.

Look for a leaking rear main oil seal. Oil on the engine or transmission may indicate this.

Don't believe anyone who boasts about the gas mileage. If you can be happy with 15 mpg, you will be just fine. They can get a little more some times, and less sometimes too.

Make sure you have an extra $500 to spend if you get it. We have a whole list of mods for that extra bit of cash :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Post by Chadwick »

All noted and written down. Thank you for your reply.

You did lose me on the part about the G80 rear axle and breather relocation. Could you please explain that a little more?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the post on deciphering the RPO code list. G80 is the Eaton locking rear differential. A better mouse trap as rear diffs go IMO.

The stock rear differential breather location was right below the gap between the bed and back of the cab. If you look down through there and see it, I would wait until the rear fluid can be inspected. Water from washing and rain runs or is sucked into that hose from that position and fills the rear axle with water. It needs to be moved back near the fuel tanks evaporative vent valve. Under the bed it is shielded better from water intrusion.

Look for front tire wear. Shake the front tires around and listen for slack. Ball joints creak, wheel bearing could be worn and the idler and pitman arms are commonly replaced parts. You might see if the a-arm ball joints are bolted in. That means they have been replaced. That is a good thing.

There was never a tow package for these trucks. A hitch and wiring can be added. The ZR5 package was appearance only. Don't let them tell you it adds huge value. 2001 had all the options , as the years went by more and more became options. 2003 and 2004 were pretty plain unless they had options added.
Push down on it and test the shocks. They were junk when new. You will need shocks. Plan on Bilstein HD, unless you don't plan to keep it more than a few years. If that is the case you can settle for Rancho shocks.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Post by Chadwick »

I will take a look at the breather tomorrow when I have daylight to work with. Outside of that detail, everything else you noted was checked and it all looked good except the vacume lines at that 3-way union near the master cylinder will need to be replaced. They are looking a little weathered and I expect will not last much longer. On a positive note, there wasn't any sign of fluids in them at all. As expected, the 4x4 is working perfectly. Actually engages faster than the other trucks I've looked at. The only issue that I'm going to have the shop look at this Tuesday will be what sounds like a pully chatter when you lightly accelerate. Accelerate moderately and it goes away, no sound when cruising.

So yeah, I bought it. So far I really like it and the Mrs is happy too. It will only see moderate use. Usually a 4 mile commute to work and back for the Mrs and the assurance we won't get stranded at home this winter. The truck already was lifted 2-3 inches too. I like the extra clearance, feels more like a truck should to me.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds really good. You know we will need pics..."or it never happened" :evil:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Post by Chadwick »

Ok, took it too the shop a few days ago and told them to basically, Fix everything. This trucks primary purpose will be to keep us mobile when bad weather hits. Otherwise it will only be driven short distances each day. About 10 miles per day. The Mrs. and the kids will be in it most of the time, thus why I wanted the shop to go over the whole vehical.

Had new tierods put in, fortunately they said the balljoints are all good. Had vacume lines replaced around the master cylinder. New wheel bearing. Replaced all four wheels. The one that was on it was some kind of cheap universal wheel. Due to the design of the hubs they could not be properly centered. That fixed the vibration. It drives like a new one now. I'm going to do a flush of the cooling system this evening. Pics coming soon.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Preemptive strike! Sounds great! save a little for some good shocks at some point. That will improve the ride and handling lots.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

Wish you a long and safe road with this new truck ! :D
Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Post by Chadwick »

Ha, the repairs go on. After the shop finished up I decided it still didn't feel quite right in the front end. Figured a gool ol' alignment was in order. As it turns out both the upper ball joint and one of the lower are bad. Gonna have them just replace all of them this next week. I'm outta cash until then.

And the AC stopped working completely. It was acting weak from the start. I figured it needed a recharge. Now I don't hear that loose pully sound anymore. I'm going to just try to recharge it after I get the ball joints all replaced. I'm also going to go ahead and have the transfer case switch replaced. Just for good measure. All of this next week.

Now for the real big question. Right now the coolant system is straight water. Or it is the best I can tell. I started to buy the Green stuff as so many here have switched to and was greeted with a STOUT warning. It went like this.
The engine componets are made up of many different metals etc...different metals basically act like a battery. The Dex Cool stuff is made to counter this so that the internal gaskets and parts are not eaten away via the chemical electric ions that the different metals create. Using the green stuff will not protect from this happening and I will be replacing gaskets and facing a major future overhaul if I use anything else. I should use Dex Cool only.

This is in contrast to the opinions of others here. But that is what I was told. Being a science guy, I can certainly understand the logic behind it. So I'm not sure what to do at this point.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Trust us, go with the green! Dex Cool has been known for a long time to create far more problems than it ever solved, and if left unchecked for too long it can destroy the radiator and heater core. Do a thorough flush using a kit and then fill with the system with tap water and 1 bottle of cooling system cleaner. Drive it for a day with this mix to help clean out any gummed up Dex Cool and rust. Next, do another flush and then fill the system with distilled water and standard green antifreeze in a 50/50 ratio. You can use tap water if you want, but it does eat away at the system a little bit due to the minerals in the water. For more protection and better performance you can also add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter. Once you have switched to green it's a good idea to flush the system every other year to keep the system clean and running efficiently.

Steve
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Chadwick,

Before you buy in to what the dealer is telling you, read this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1527004

Then google "dexcool lawsuit",

I didn't go green like the rest of them here, I started using zerex G-05. So far, so good. I may change my mind down the road but one vehicle has 180k and the other has 140k on them. The oldest was changed to G-05 after a new intake gasket. The other was changed over before the gasket gave up and still has the original intake gasket.

It's not the different metals that people are having so much problems with that I know of, it's the intake manifold gasket (IMG in the article) and turning to sludge. The least bit of air in the system will cause the dexcool to turn to sludge.

One article I read said "GM says the major problems were caused by extended operation at low coolant levels." Well yes, that tends to happen when your intake gasket starts leaking.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If the clutch for the AC was making noise, the bearings may be bad and have taken out the seal. Very common. You may end up replacing the compressor, dehydrator and orifice tube. Then a fresh charge of freon.

Don't believe the BS you are being fed about Dex. It is indeed a different coolant in that it is acid based rather than alkaline based like the green. Both protect metals. The electrical charge you are referring to comes from metal to metal contact. Now a liquid in between could create a condition that might create and exchange of ions. Any idea what chemical might be a good choice? What do batteries use? Acid? Dex is based on OAT. Organic Acid Technology.
The 4.3L we have was not specifically designed for Dex. Dex cavitates easier. Cavitation is bubbles that form in the water pump impeller. This eats away the inside of the water pump and hammers the seals. Our water pump is the same as the 5.7L engine. Have you noticed the re-designed waterpump for the 5.3L? Notice the only radiator cap is on the expansion tank now? They did those to play well with Dex.
Two things destroy Dex...heat and air. Keep it away from those.

Go green. I have seen green thirty years old that looks great and Dex less than two years old that is mud.

IMO, and with the research that I have done , Dex does not play well with the 4.3L engine in our trucks. Change before it is too late. If you must run Dex, use only distilled water if you add it and flush and change the Dex every two years. Keep all your receipts and add your mane to the class action law suit when you have a failure.

Oh! BTW, grab a bottle of Redline "WaterWetter" Good stuff and good science too! Add that to the fresh green and distilled water.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ill add to that the dex is crap! Both my S10, sisters old cavalier and my friends blazer I got for him suffered problems from Dexcool. All 3 had engines that were originally designed before the Dexcool was being used by GM. Both my S10 and my buddies had to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced, a very expensive job, due to the dexcool eating away at the gasket. I have long since been flushed and replaced with the green and life is much better.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Chadwick
Regular
Regular

Post by Chadwick »

Ok, thanks folks for the testimony in regards to the Dex Cool. I just traded my Dex Cool in for straight green goodness. Now I need to get some cleaner to clean the system out before adding the green. I should have thought to pick some up when I was out today, it slipped my mind. I'll pick some up later this week. Is there any particular brand of cooling system cleaner that is recommended and won't contribute to any additional possible damage the Dex may have done?

Also, here it is.
My truck
My truck
So thus far I've got an additional grand invested in it on top of the initial cost of buying it. And the compressor just went out. Ah well, at least it'll be like a brand new one when I'm done. In the meantime, the important stuff is finished. The whole front end is in essence all new now. No more worries about putting the family in it. I still need shocks, but it drives smooth as silk now. I've gotten a little hell bent to make this truck perfect. In time it will be.

Once I get this one in perfect order I'm going to start thinking about what to do with my old 85 S-10 regular cab truck. Wish it was here now, a pic of it might inspire laughter. It is a sight to behold, as in "omg you actually drive that thing?". Hmm, now I've gotta find a pic of it for you folks. Needless to say, the CC is a huge upgrade.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I never had a problem with prestone flush.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

I've used both, PEAK and Prestone, couldn't tell any difference really, they both work equally. I would, however, recommend you do a repeat application after the first flush. I did mine ran for 500 miles (on week for me), put in clear water ran for 200, rinsed and put in 2nd dose, ran another 500, another 200 on clear water then rinsed and filled with green goodness.