Antifreeze leak = intake manifold gasket

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Antifreeze leak = intake manifold gasket

Post by sjacoby »

My 2002 crew just started leaking coolant. It's not coming from the rad or top heater lines. When i look underneath the front of the motor is dry. The back (closer to the drivers side if the firewall is wet and te leak is dripping to the ground around the firewall as well. My oil is clear of antifreeze, i have no warning lights on and it runs well.
Any ideas where it may be coming from?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Antifreeze leak

Post by HenryJ »

Running Dexcool orange coolant? Intake manifold gasket leaks are a common problem.
The OEM gaskets were not compatible with Dexcool and get eaten away. The air in the system is compounding the problem by contaminating the Dexcool. Get it fixed soon. I would suggest a good flush , upgrade the gaskets and go with green coolant.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

No just coolant picked up at the local gas station. So if this is the case, how big on a job is it to change the intake manifold gasket, and what are my torque specs for the intake manifold itself? Thanks for the response
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yikes! If you mixed Dexcool with anything other than distilled water... you are in for problems.

You will find several threads around here with step by step directions on flushing, intake gasket replacement (both upper and lower). As well as experiences and tips from those who have done the deed.
Shout if you don't find them. Feel free to bring them back to life too :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

x2 on intake manifold gasket. only other thing back there are freeze out plugs and they dont go bad as often. Id flush the dexcool and run the regular green, but def dont mix them.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

sjacoby wrote:The back (closer to the drivers side if the firewall is wet and te leak is dripping to the ground around the firewall as well
There's a pair of hoses about 1" diameter that run back to the heater but they'd be on the passenger side. It's a long shot but may be worth taking a look before tearing into the intake manifold. You're going to need to locate these hoses to install flush T anyway.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
sjacoby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sjacoby »

turns out it was the intake manifold gasket, ended up getting a local garage to do the work as I was limited on time. Thanks for all your help!
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Antifreeze leak = intake manifold gasket

Post by mars2878 »

Glad u found it & all is well now.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Antifreeze leak = intake manifold gasket

Post by PATRICKH »

Mine is in the shop today, same issue. 14 hour days and auto repairs are not good friends.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]