Broken fuel line. Possible high mileage wear?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Broken fuel line. Possible high mileage wear?

Post by ApproachMedium »

So if anyone recalls last month when I was driving to NYC to visit a friend and his family for the holidays I sprung a fuel leak. I was going to try and fix it myself but after putting it up on ramps and doing some inspection with a flash light I determined that It wasn't what I thought it was, and I would need to just take it to a mechanic. I ended up leaving it with Dave from After hours and he took the fuel tank down for me and found that the high pressure supply line from my sending unit to the metal lines that run along the frame rail had rubbed on the cab and wore a hole in it. Checking GMPartsdirect Rock auto and a few other online sites yielded that the part does not exist. Checking all the local junk yards none have them available because when fuel tanks are removed etc they cut them for whatever reason.

This is the plastic line that has the quick disconnects that goes from the sender to the metal lines. If anyone knows of a local yard with a crew, has a spare one, or would be willing to look out of state for me please let me know. I will pay good money for this part.

I am curious if this is a problem that could be a design flaw with these trucks, being I have the highest known mileage of anyone on the group with an S10 crew (257k at the moment) could this be something that others may end up with in the future? Now my truck did have a frame issue which was corrected, but that was the other side of the vehicle so again, not sure if it was part of an alignment issue or design flaw. I would suggest anyone who has to drop their tank for a fuel pump or tank issue to inspect these lines and make sure they are not wearing. I would hate to see someone end up in the same situation as me. After just putting close to 2k in to this truck in upgrades/repairs etc its quite disappointing that its been rendered useless by a stupid 1 foot piece of plastic.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Broken fuel line. Possible high mileage wear?

Post by _STUCKY »

I'm pretty sure that the local napa made me a fuel line like that for something. Maybe that caprice I had, I'm not sure. Can the ends be changed to something else?
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I dont think they can be changed, because the disconnect is on the sender itself which is plastic I believe and both things it needs to connect to are these stupid quick disconnect pieces. I haven't personally seen it since it was removed by Dave. He tried to take the same line out of an Izuzu Hombre he had at the shop for parts and it was too short and did not fit. Since the crew tank is diff than all the others, its too short.

What I saw at my local parts store is they have a doorman kit where you can "crimp" the plastic quick connect ends on to nylon hose. Dave and I don't like this idea for high pressure operation. If it was the return, sure no problem but for the high pressure line I just don't trust it.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

I'm going to take a picture of it, but it must have been rubbing since day one. The part of the cab is was rubbing on is completely smooth and rounded, not a sharp edge. It wore through the loom that protects it and then the line itself until the pressure pushed the hole open.

I've used the repair kits before and never had a problem with them but never liked them either. I can't remember if it was on pressure or return side though, but random GM cars will have a problem like this that I've fixed before. It seems as though the factory line wouldn't be that hard to find but every yard around here cuts the lines to take the tank out. I have the GM part number and its discontinued, the return line is available tho, doesn't help us!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Wow damn! I didnt realize it went that far! So then it seems like a design flaw then if you think it was rubbing from day one. So then others should be looking out for this. If you can, see if you can get pictures of the wear under the truck I would like to see that and the line. Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to add them to this thread.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

One more reason a body lift is a good idea?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Maybe? But I would be afraid to do a body lift. I have fears about all of that shift linkage and wires that might not be long enough. *cringe* Though it couldnt be the worst thing to happen to this truck, that would make putting a super charger on the new engine easier lol and would allow me to run larger tires no problem.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ApproachMedium wrote:Maybe? But I would be afraid to do a body lift. I have fears about all of that shift linkage and wires that might not be long enough. *cringe*
Do a little more research. The 2" bodylift has many benefits for these trucks. Clearances and accessibility are greatly improved in many places. The list is long. Top on my list of must do mods.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Oh wow really? How painful is it to install? Also how hard is it to obtain a good kit for the crew? I may consider it, if there are many benefits over leaving it stock besides larger tires.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The instructions are listed on the modifications page for download from our website. There are numerous threads on the install. I have outlined all the benefits many times. It has been done in as little as four hours, but plan on it taking a day at a leisurely pace.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Yes I did find the instructions last night at work and went over them. After much discussion with two friends though I have decided that a body lift is not going to happen. After all the time we spent getting the sliders welded on and lined up with the body, its going to look really silly with a lift. Dave is going to try modifying the routing of the line and just do the repair kit on it for now and we will see how that works.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I've used these repair lines on DOH trucks and didn't have any problems with them.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Its been repaired and I will be picking it up monday. I still advise anyone with one of these trucks to inspect their lines for wear.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Picked up the truck yesterday and Dave showed me the part of the line he cut off to make the repair. The line was worn thru pretty far but only had about a pinhole sized hole in it which was pouring fuel everywhere. I went only 85 miles on 3/4 of a tank of gas. Well its fixed temporary-permanently for now. Hoping the repair line and slight change in routing will keep anything from happening again.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ