Head scratching newbie needs help

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

RobZr5

Head scratching newbie needs help

Post by RobZr5 »

new member 02 zr5
truck runs fine everyday no miss no cel
start drive 30 kms to nearest tim hortons shut off restart when wife gets back to truck with coffee drive to buds house shut off then restart head home shut off have dinner then go to start it up wont start give it gas at crank can get it running but let off gas idles down to 200-300 rpm then stalls over and over
next day starts and runs fine again but if i drive 50 kms or more a day then let it sit for more then an hour same problem hard to start and idle drops and stalls
this has happened everyday for 3 weeks
my first thought was crank sensor so i put in a new one (no difference)
my guess now is fuel pressure test (probably fpr)
a buddy with a jimmy said it might be the part under the cap and rotor
anyone have the same issue as mine?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Head scratching newbie needs help

Post by HenryJ »

Checking the basics is a good idea. Heat soak has similar symptoms, but these are not usually affected by that.
Your buddy is not off target. Check the cap and rotor. Plugged vents are common. Drill or punch them out if needed. Beware the plastic distributor housing. Clean off all thread lock and never use it. Be ready to replace the housing. Cracked housings are common too.
Think about the ignition coil. Usually they work or don't , but heat soak might be a problem there. Open the hood in the dark and look for a light show showing leakage in the system. Cheap hairspray on the whole system is a good water proofer and anti-static sealer.

Check the plugs. They are indicators for each cylinder. Clean to light gray or brown is correct. Anything else is a clue.

I think you are on track checking the fuel system. Regulator, pump, filter, injectors, check valve. All can be tested simply.

Clean the throttle body. The back side of the blade can get really bad. Clean the IAC. Idle air control valves could cause erratic idle and start issues. Clean it good and replace it if needed.
Use and ohmmeter and check the TPS. It needs to be smooth and in range.

Smell rotten eggs? Suspect a cat.

Good threads around on all these topics. Let us know what you find.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RobZr5

Re: Head scratching newbie needs help

Post by RobZr5 »

i should add that precat is gone and main cat was replaced 3 months ago, changed fuel filter the day i bought it (one i took off was pretty bad inside)
and i cleaned throttle body with seafoam same time
and ty henryj ill start checking out the cap and rotor and iac cleaning