new to me 2001

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

hegel
Regular
Regular

new to me 2001

Post by hegel »

Hello,

My name is Steve. Last friday I purchased a 2001 S10 crew cab 4.3 4x4. the truck has 63k on the odometer and is in imaculate shape. As I do with every vehicle I own I joined a relevant forum so I can learn and possibly contribute where I see fit. I had to drive about 500 miles to get it but it was well worth it. I plan on doing a full tuneup even though it has low mileage because it is still a 12 year old truck (plan on doing trans flush and axle flush as well)

just wanted to say hi and start figuring out what i should do first to help the truck. mpg, power, reliability. those are all things i hope to either maintain or improve.

thanks,
Steve

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: new to me 2001

Post by HenryJ »

Beautiful blue truck. Welcome :wave:

There is a wealth of information here. It may be overwhelming at first, but you will find it.

Sounds like you are on the right track.
Dex, axle vent relocate, radiator cap, intake gaskets, ball joints, wiper fix, hot feet fix, front axle actuator, vacuum hoses, tank vent valve filter and a whole host of other topics that need to be investigated.

Enjoy the ride!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Nice ride! Blue is a cool color, other than the bed i bought for mine and repainted i have never seen a complete blue crew so far. You joined the right place for crew cab info, welcome and enjoy!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
hegel
Regular
Regular

Post by hegel »

is there a list of things a new owner should do first off?

it's already got a CAI and a flow-master muffler should i get cat-back exhaust or a high flow cat and manifold back exhaust? a tune i think is necessary but who to go with. i read wait4me is a good one but i don't know if i like the idea of being without the truck while the ecu is being shipped and tuned.

thanks for the welcomes
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Whatever your little heart desires. There are plenty of mods that can be done to this truck very easily, many that are plug and play or require minimal movement of pins in wire harnesses to add things like the trip computer with gas mileage range etc for the OHC, homelink and dimming mirror. The throttle blade mod is probably an absolute must do if you have not already.

If you need help with electrical stuff, I have the service manuals 1-3 which covers all aspects of these trucks electrical and mechanical, the most useful part is the schematics though.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

Ya thats very low mileage. I was trying to find one similar but not willing to pay the price lol How much did you get it for?
hegel
Regular
Regular

Post by hegel »

I got it for 8500 which i think is fair considering the shape it is in. it also came with a toneau cover and those 18" wheels (not sure about those yet though)
AVTekk
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by AVTekk »

Ya Im not feeling the rims but thats a pretty good price for a low mileage truck. I found one once for 8300 with only 32k miles but it was from upstate NY and rust was all other everything. All the good ones are usually over 10k.
hegel
Regular
Regular

Post by hegel »

AVTekk wrote:Ya Im not feeling the rims but thats a pretty good price for a low mileage truck. I found one once for 8300 with only 32k miles but it was from upstate NY and rust was all other everything. All the good ones are usually over 10k.
The wheels will be getting a clear plasti dip coating to make them look like brushed aluminum (if i dont like that then they will be removed)

the whole truck will be getting the same clear plasti dip to protect the blue paint which is in incredible shape for being 11 years old. should look good matte metallic blue.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Why plasti dip? Just get some good coats of wax on it before the winter. The plasti dipped cars look great in photos but I think they look horrible in person. The good thing at least is you can always peel it off if you dont like it.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

nice rig
I love the blue
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
hegel
Regular
Regular

Post by hegel »

I like plasti dip actually. If applied properly it looks like the vehicle has had a wrap job. plus it protects the paint from UV rays and small rocks, and branches etc. my Jetta TDi has been plasti dipped firebelly orange with glow in the dark powder mixed in.

Mars2878 thanks. the blue looks incredible for being over 10 years old.