Being that my wife runs about 60 miles of dirt road each day, the hinge pin bushing take a beating. The right door on her Blazer needed new bushings again after two months. I think the quality of the bushing has gotten worse due to breaking several trying to squeezing them in so I finally got around to making my own. This is my first attempt at using a lathe without my brothers supervision (he is the expert)
I'm not sure what type of brass I should be using. This is 360 brass, 3/4 dia.
At the little end of the pin, the bushing is 0.487 -0.488 OD and 11/32" hole (0.343), 5/8" long with a 0.080 flange.
The big end is 0.528-0.529 OD and 3/8" hole (0.375). Should have been 0.377 but I don't have a lettered drill bit set. I just reamed it out a little with a round file.
I used a 5/64" bit and drilled a grease hole and used a triangle file to cut a groove to get grease to the flange.
I drilled a hole in the pin for a kotter key instead of using the e-clip that does not fit into the groove.
In order to get an accurate measurement on the hole, I made two plugs of brass. One has steps of 0.487, 0.488, 0.489 and 0.490, and the other had steps of 0.525, 0.526, 0.527, 0.528, and 0.529. Inserting the plug into the flange of the hinge I can see what fits snug and what doesn't fit. Then I made the first three 0.001 over what fit snug. Those three squeezed in easier than I thought so the last one I made 0.003 over. It was tight. Ideal I think would be 0.002 to 0.003 over. When I put the door on, I will put a piece of rubber hose over the pin squeezed in between the bushing to hopefully keep the grease directed toward the flanges.
I hope it works. Will keep this updated