AC compressor

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

AC compressor

Post by Lil-j »

AC compressor clutch is making noise, can I replace just the clutch or do I have to replace the entire compressor?
Either way, can anyone recommend good yet cheap parts?
Thanks fellas.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: AC compressor

Post by ApproachMedium »

Should be able to replace the clutch, but be prepared they are not an easy task to replace. You need an impact gun.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will also need a puller.

It has been my experience that once the clutch goes, the front seals are not far behind. When they go the system leaks down and you end up changing the compressor.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

Ok, so better off just replacing the compressor then. Any recommendations?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Neither is going to be an easy fix. The clutch is a cheap fix. If you can do it and it does not leak.
Changing the compressor is not so cheap.
You will need the compressor, orifice tube, filter/dryer, refrigerant, oil. Last I checked that could be about $500 in parts. To do it right you need the system evacuated. Then flush the system good to remove any contaminants. Once all the new parts are installed you pull a vacuum on the system and check for leaks before charging. At the very least you will need a AC gauge manifold and vacuum pump. To do a good job you really need weather above seventy five degrees Fahrenheit.

I am not going to be a good one to recommend one brand or another. I have used many with good results. Both new and re-manufactured.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Bottom line is bring it to someone who knows what they are doing with AC. Its not easy stuff i dont care what anyone says. If you do not know what you are doing you will just end up costing yourself more money in repairs later. Having an experienced AC tech do the work you know you will be set. At this point, i would just use it till it dies. My AC clutch was spitting out brown dust from grinding away from when I got my truck with 190k till 260K when we put the V8 engine in. It never stopped working and it never gave me any trouble during that period of time so. You may have quite a while to go still before it quits.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ