Can't get ignition key out, won't go into lock

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Can't get ignition key out, won't go into lock

Post by JaVeRo »

On my wife's 2003 blazer, she has had an occasional problem with the ignition not going into lock position so she can get the key out. It will start and kill the truck just fine, just doesn't turn all the way back to the lock position. The one time that it happened while I was around, I wiggled the gearshift and the key and ignition switch turned all the way back. I'm 99% sure it is a problem with the mechanism that keeps it in park with the steering wheel locked until the key is turned on.

My question, what does that look like? Will I find it by removing the airbag? removing the steering wheel? Is it lower on the steering column? Is it mechanical or an electric solenoid? I understand what it does, I just don't have a clue how it works.

I have the Haynes manual on this vehicle, it talks about a "ignition lock cylinder control actuator' which leads me to believe it may be a solenoid actuator that would or could be dependent on the park/neutral switch.

Any help would be appreciated. Just need someone to point me in the right direction.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Can't get ignition key out, won't go into lock

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Does the vehicle have a floor shifter? A lot of times you can take the center console apart and adjust the park interlock cable that goes to the shift column.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

It's an automatic with the column shift and push button 4wd just like 98% of the crewcabs.

I did notice that when putting the shift lever in park, the park indicator shows park for just a second and then goes away. The indicator works correctly on all the other gears, it just disappears on park. That problem should be the park/neutral switch on the transmission. I don't see how that would affect the ignition lock unless there is an electric solenoid controlling the lock pin.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

If the shift cable between the shifter and the transmission is out of adjustment you can have a "SHORT CABLE" where the transmission is in park, but the lever won't lock up. Or conversely you could have a stretchd cable, and the Shifter will lock but the transmission is between Reverse and park. See if the manual has a procedure for adjusting the shift cable.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT