Radiator leak??

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Radiator leak??

Post by okaussiee »

I replaced my radiator in July 2011. My mechanic tells me it is leaking. Bought it at Advance Auto Parts, suppose to have a lifetime warranty.

Want to verify it is REALLY leaking. My question is, What is a good dye or chemical to mix with water to check it for leaks?

Then, if it is leaking, depending on the size of the leak, would it be better just to replace it and get new hoses, or put a can of stop leak in it to see if it seals on its own.

Don't want to replace it, after 4 years if I don't have to.

Is there anyone who make rads other than Spectre for our CC's. Makes me wonder about the quality of the parts we get now a days.

TIA

Bill
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Radiator leak??

Post by HenryJ »

Don't try stop leak. It plugs up everything and that includes the engine parts.
The radiator can be pressure tested. Any radiator shop can do it and many parts stores.
Look at the tanks where they are crimped to the core. Also look for a crack and swelling across the web in the middle of the tank to the engine side usually.

The radiator companies seem to change and merge pretty frequently. I am not sure who is the "go-to" today :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

Every place I have checked, Rock Auto, Advance Auto Parts, O Reilly's, NAPA, etc., all sell the Spectre and all for about the same price with the same guarantee.

Makes me think that is the only vendor out there and we are stuck with it.

I am going to take a look at it this weekend. Looks like, based on what you have said Henry, that my only option, regardless of the issue, is to take it out, exchange it and get new hoses..

Can't believe it only lasted 4 years, almost to the day. The original lasted for 9 years..

TIA

Bill
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you want to go to an all aluminum replacement, Gibson may have something. $$$$ though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
okaussiee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by okaussiee »

I think that Summit Racing has one for about $800. Too rich for my blood..

I will check Gibson..

TIA

Bill
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

You might try a junkyard, pick and pull preferred. I was in the same predicament last year with my 02'. I was pulling off a good looking one from an 03 when I turned my head and saw a Blazer with what looked to be a brand new radiator. The front clip had been taken off leaving the drive train intact. Sure enough it had a brand new radiator, with a date stamp of 6 months prior, and an installation tag from a shop that was less than 3 months old. AND!!!!!! It had the 1-1/4" core!!!! HOT DAMN! $35. later and it's on it's way to a new home. Boiled up some water in the turkey frier, and ran it thru with some elderly prestone crystal's cleaner and let it soak 2 hours. Rinsed with more boiling water, installed and it works fine. Between it, a new clutch, and a 180 thermostat, it stays rock steady at 182*F once it heats up. Even with A/C on and towing a 3800# RV on flat ground. I turn off the A/C when i hit the hills. But the temp never goes above 190.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT