Just picked up a 2003 Sonoma SLS Crewcab w/ ZR5 suspension for a cheap price. I was told it used to be a postal route truck. I expected from that that the front needed some work and suspension components. I never expected what I was told at a friends house after we got it on a lift. The frame is cracked in several places near the right front upper control arm area. The engine,trans, interior, and 4x4 is in perfect shape. It even has fairly new tires on it too. The bodywork part I can handle as I own 4-S-10's and 2-Sonoma trucks.
What I got to ask may sound stupid, but in my mind and my location, this is a very rare truck.
1) Will a ZR2 Crew cab frame fit under this truck with no modifcations ?? (mounts, etc...)
2) if not the ZR2 frame, Then what else ?
3) If only a ZR5 frame.., then How to go about trying to weld this up? (Insurance company is freaking out over it and is still in debate on whether to insure it for me...)
4) If I had my way.., I would lengthen the frame for a 6ft bed and SAS the suspension from a 3/4 to 1 ton c2500HD truck(flipped onto cab and was totaled out) I could rob the parts from.... IF it ends up this way.., what all parts will be needed for the SAS conversion ??....
5) If I end up eXtending the frame.., what length is needed to add to frame to get a 6ft bed and will the bed mounts need to be relocated as well ?? Also where to cut it at... ??
Picks of below are from when it was on the rack at my friends shop. It was very dissappointing to see this to a rare truck....
Thanks ahead of time for all info and help on this subject.....