Fuel Tank Strap.....Broken bolt on back strap.

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Fuel Tank Strap.....Broken bolt on back strap.

Post by Torskdoc »

Before trying to get the tank out this past weekend, I had sprayed each of the bolts, and nuts with PB Blaster to soak in and break up the rust. I di this on Sunday Tuesday and Thursday. I started on the tank Saturday.

I managed to snap the captive nut clip for the rear strap, and ended up using the saws-all to cut the bolt. As captive nuts are rare at the parts houses near me, I went to Home Depot and looked at eyebolts (there is the big triangular hole and a 3/8" hole next to it on the cross frame) . Opening up a closed eyebolt was too much for me. I did find turnbuckles with an eyebolt on one end and a hooked bolt on the other end. I got a 5/16" x 4-1/2" turnbuckle, and a couple nuts.

Took the hooked end off the turnbuckle and slipped the hooked end into the 3/8" hole and fed the end out the triangular hole. As the bolt itself is about 2-1/2" it's almost a perfect fit. The threads end a little too short for me, so I added a couple washers and a 3/8" nut for a spacer. Now it's perfect. Tightens up nice, and if you use a nylock nut you won't need to double nut it for security.

You don't want to hear the rant :rant: :rant: I have about the Front hanger on this truck. Let's just say whoever designed the thing is a perfect case for retroactive birth-control! :twisted:

RANT OVER.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Bump!

Broke mine off with the quickness yesterday. I think if gm had used a shorter bolt, mine wouldn’t have broke. There’s probably several ways to cut it out after it’s broke, but I didn’t think a sawzall was the right tool, I used a hacksaw with a new blade and it worked just fine.

I plan to get a new _____ (insert whatever name you want to call that junk, I have heard speed clip/ J nut/ captive nut/ etc etc) and a shorter bolt.

:wave:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Scratch that. I made something super high tech.

I took about a 2 inch long 7/16 bolt (biggest that fits in the hole in the strap) and one maybe 4 inches long. The longer bolt I cut the head and threads off of (this bolt wasn’t threaded the whole length). Short bolt got the cut bolt welded to the head in basically and upside down “L”. Put a washer on it, drill the hole in the frame out to 7/16, fish it in there with the threads pointing towards the ground, and put a nylock nut on it.

So when I put the nut on or take it off, this gizmo will turn and hit the frame and not spin. I can actually spray it with something since the threads are exposed.

Was going to get a pic for reference, but once I got it into the frame to see if it would work, I wasn’t sure I could get it back out.

:thumb:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Fuel Tank Strap.....Broken bolt on back strap.

Post by Horsehammerr »

SORRY !! I know this is out of order but , I seem to have forgotten how to post NEW SUBJECTS . My Hypertech III 30012 Programmer DIED yesterday and they don't sell them any longer. I bought mine from another member here 10 Years ago so , they will not honor Lifetime Warranty. Anyone got one they can set back to stock settings and SELL to me ? :panic:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN