TRAILER TOWING

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

TRAILER TOWING

Postby badsix » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:45 am

I have a 2001 s10 crew cab and want to know if any other people have camp trailers that they tow, how long and what's the weight. i'm looking at a 19' 3300# camper, but i'm not sure how the s10 will handle it. I've towed a utility trailer that I have with a little over a cord of green wood in it with no problems. the trailer must weigh 800# and the wood probably is 2000# at least.
Jay D.
badsix
Regular
Regular

Re: TRAILER TOWING

Postby HenryJ » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:47 pm

We pulled a trailer with ours for quite a while

Even a smaller trailer like this was a struggle once up to 9400ft. It did the job, but a couple more cylinders makes it much easier and gets better mileage.
I think you can probably pull a 3300lb trailer, but it would likely need to be a flatlander. A fullsize truck may be a better match.
We went to a fullsize:

The E1 is a 3500# trailer. The Avalanche pulls it nicely. I am very sure I would not want to pull it with the old S-10.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: TRAILER TOWING

Postby LoneWolf04 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:55 pm

First thing I would check is your RPO codes for gearing. The 3.73 gearing will make towing better over the 3.42 gears. I tow around 3200 lbs in Michigan flats and its hills, but it's not a popup, it's an 18' enclosed trailer. The truck does well but definitely need to set it up to do so. AUX trans cooler is a must and would highly recommend doing the tow/haul transplant from a blazer. It is a bit complicated but very doable and having it change the line pressure and shift points makes a huge difference. I've also done an aftermarket 3 core aluminum radiator and air bags in the rear to help with the weak suspension. If your trailer doesn't have electric brakes I would highly recommend adding them to it and wiring in a brake controller in the truck as well.

When I tow I don't expect to be in a hurry, nor traveling 70-75 mph either. I keep it around 65 in Drive which leaving me running about 2700rpms and it pulls really well in my opinion. Balancing the trailer will also make a big difference in your trailering experience in a small truck as well. I usually get between 11-12mpg towing the enclosed trailer unless I'm against a nasty head wind and then it's down to 9-10.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Return to Stock Crew Cab