Android Headunit in the crew

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Android Headunit in the crew

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I have taken the plunge to go with an android headunit for the crew. Here is the radio I ordered.

http://www.autopumpkin.com/new-products ... e-mic.html

My 2002 only has the 1.5 DIN radio and am in the process of getting a double din dash trim from either an 03-04 s10/blazer or a bravada that had one and making the small cut behind the dash. My goals with this radio are to run either the torque app or the dash command app opposed to my scangauge II. I know there are US manufacturers that will copy your screen to display on the radio, but don't want my phone to be have to be constantly paired, considering I like to watch my trans temps and other gauges as I drive and tow. On another note, I wanted to keep my steering wheel controls I added to the crew from another blazer, and this one should allow me to do so. I am hoping it will be here within the next week or so, as it is shipping from China. Unfortunately, it seems as the US has fallen badly behind on radio technology, especially considering how cheap tablets and smartphones are now.

Once I get the radio installed I will post pics up. I have always told myself I wanted to keep truck looking stock, but the features of the radio have swayed my opinion and I will be able to get rid of the scangauge that just sits in front of my tape deck as slides around.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Pics please. I'm liking the sounds of this and the one from the other thread. :rock:
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Android Headunit in the crew

Post by ApproachMedium »

Somehow I dont trust something called Autopumpkin and has alot of flashy images. But let me know how it works out. I was planning to eventually get a Pioneer app radio for mine if I do decide to upgrade. You can get a pioneer unit for around the same price, it doesnt run android but its compatible with the phone and lets you control it and the apps. They are releasing a new unit soon that runs the Android Auto platform too.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Watch'n. My DVD player won't accept disks anymore and I have been wondering what the best option for the future might be.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

ApproachMedium wrote:Somehow I dont trust something called Autopumpkin and has alot of flashy images. But let me know how it works out. I was planning to eventually get a Pioneer app radio for mine if I do decide to upgrade. You can get a pioneer unit for around the same price, it doesnt run android but its compatible with the phone and lets you control it and the apps. They are releasing a new unit soon that runs the Android Auto platform too.
These are the same units sold on ebay by multiple vendors, and they all get their stock from the same place. You just need to read carefully as to which OS they are running. Some units are running an older OS and the radio itself does not have the updated specs. Payment was still made through paypal and by the vast reviews and updates on these radios I am not expecting a problem. I received email confirmation that the order is ready to ship over the weekend and waiting on a DHL tracking number.

As far as price, I have yet to see a pioneer unit around the same price that does what I am looking for it to do. And the new NEX models I saw that are going to be releasing this year are running between $700-1400, and all those units are a pass-through from your phone, unless I missed one. I have to believe that is one of the reasons these are costing so much, instead of running the radios own OS they want to directly mirror a phones screen.

Went to the old pick and grab to look for the double din dash bezel. Found one, but whoever took it out broke it to probably get the switches as they were missing. I have a few CL people to call tomorrow that are parting out vehicles so hopefully I can find one real quick.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

If you can't find one, I believe I have a charcoal one. What does a double din opening measure?
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I'm not sure on the measurements, but I know the radio opening is slightly narrower than the opening for the HVAC controls. Then the top is slightly taller than the opening for where the blazer back hatch controls cutout is. But that would work well, I need the charcoal color actually. Im going after work to check out another yard and call a few people locally.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

They are usually found in Bravadas, and anything 2003 or later.

What is the advantage to having full android on the head unit? I would like to play with one of these in person. If its a cool as it looks maybe Ill get one. How is phone integration and does it support built in sat radio?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
OrlandoSonomazr5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by OrlandoSonomazr5 »

I have a Pioneer Headunit and run App Radio with all different apps from waze to Dash Command, its awesome. Only downfall is the iphone doesn't like to stay with the LTE connection via the wifi needed to run the OBD2 scanner. Sometimes wazes will run in the background and stay updated other times it won't. I'll go take a short film for you guys to check it out.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Does the device (I'm assuming you could do this with a tablet) have to be connected to Internet?

I was thinking a cheap tablet to keep with the truck. Maybe that isn't the way to do it lol
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

If you want to download new apps that don't come preinstalled then yes, it needs to be connected to the Internet. Which usually if you have wireless at your home you will just need to be in your driveway. As far as running the apps like torque or dash command, no you don't have to be connected to the Internet.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Awesome, so one could just have a tablet for the truck. This sounds wonderful. What other apps are available that will run with this stuff? I'd like to see pics or video of this stuff in action.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

_STUCKY,

It's a regular android device, it can run games or anything you want on it that supports the 4.4 "kit-kat" OS version. Looks like I will have the radio tomorrow.

By chance do you have interest in getting rid of that charcoal double din dash bezel? Struck out at 2 yards and people apparently don't want to answer calls when they are parting vehicles out on CL, go figure.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Yea, I'll part with it. Let me make sure it's double din. I'll measure and grab a pic tomorrow. :thumb:
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Alright. I just got a hold of a guy. Supposed to be picking up a bravada after work today with a blown trans and some body damage for $500. It has the double din and I'm actually going to transfer the electric seat components over the to crew. Can't beat the deal because there's plenty to sell to make the money back. Just hoping it works out and he doesn't screw me on it. I'll update later today.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

If you don't already have it, bravada's have the homelink console and a lot of other goodies.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re:

Post by LoneWolf04 »

_STUCKY wrote:If you don't already have it, bravada's have the homelink console and a lot of other goodies.
Already have the homelink :thumb: i was pleasantly surprised this bravada has the heated seats as well! time to get swapping seat bases.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

If you can't find it, the plug for the passenger side seat, in my truck at least, was taped to the floor under the carpet, just in front of the back seat on the passenger side.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Well the head unit is almost in! Pics will come later today after I finish it up. Part of the hold up yesterday was the steering wheel controls, which are still being worked on and waiting for a reply back from the company. Then once I got it hooked up I was playing around with it as well. I haven't used an android device in a long time so getting acclimated to it and setting it up took a little bit of time.

Mounting the 2 din radio in our 1.5 wasn't too bad. I actually used the bracket the bravada used, with a slight modification and cut the radio pocket in the truck to match like it for mounting. Modified the supplied brackets that came with the unit and went in fairly easy with slight fanessing.
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Here's a photo of the head unit installed. I've been busy and hadn't had a chance to upload it. There's a few other pics I ill post later of the install. I still need to take it back out to hook up the steering wheel controls, which I have figured out now so it'll be all set this weekend. Still waiting for my Bluetooth OBDII connector in the mail to run torque and dash command.

ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Looks good, the display looks a little washed out though. Were you in a bright area? The volume buttons on the right would annoy me but with the steering wheel controls hooked up that should not be a problem. Are you using the stock retrofit controls or something custom?

The weather on the display is a neat feature. :)
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

The display isn't washed out, vehicle was outside with the sun coming in and the way the photo was taken.

Using the stock GM steering wheel controls that I got from a blazer a few years ago. To get them to work with the unit you just need to remove the factory 12V supply voltage that goes to the steering wheel controls and then use the power supply wire coming out of the radio. Then you have to ground the wire that is in the original stock harness with the ground wire at the back of the new radio.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ah ok thats what I figured, sun will do that.

That seems really simple to hook the controls up. There isnt a programmable module that has to go between the two so that the aftermarket unit understands what each button is?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

No programmable unit, built into the receiver. Once its hooked up you go into programming mode and set the steering wheel controls to pretty much whatever you want. It works off analog signals. Ours and a lot of steering wheel controls work off of resistors built it, changes the value of the voltage depending on the button used and the head unit deciphers them.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Very nice! With the crew that is a good feature, there isnt a ton of room behind the dash there so the less junk to have back there the better.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
stallzero

Post by stallzero »

heres mine.

plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

LoneWolf04 wrote:Here's a photo of the head unit installed. I've been busy and hadn't had a chance to upload it. There's a few other pics I ill post later of the install. I still need to take it back out to hook up the steering wheel controls, which I have figured out now so it'll be all set this weekend. Still waiting for my Bluetooth OBDII connector in the mail to run torque and dash command.

did you ever get that OBDII unit working?

i tried ordering the OBDLink LX and cant get the damn thing to turn on. I thought the first one i got was bad because the packaging was all skuffed up, and when i got my replacement it still no worky

http://a.co/4Y5ODUJ

anyone successfully used one of these in their crews?
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

My obd scanner I did get working no problem. Is great when towing to have the trans temp displayed. I use torque. I debated on getting one of the models of the scanner you posted but opted for the cheap $12 one and hasn't given me an issue.
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

bah - figured it out.... damn accessory fuse was cooked, wasnt getting power to the OBDII port.

it blew a few weeks ago on me when i was trying to use an induction charger in the truck when my previous phone went wonky. my cig lighter went kapoot on me, and i thought i undone the smoke plug on the outlet itself since the accessory port was still live.

come to find out the smoke that got out was just the fuse cooking itself off.

pro tip: dont try to use an induction charger in your car - it'll blow the fuse on the cig lighter :X
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

The cig lighter is only a 10A fues, the accessory ports i think are 15 or 20a fuse. Always use the accesssory ports lol.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

ApproachMedium wrote:The cig lighter is only a 10A fues, the accessory ports i think are 15 or 20a fuse. Always use the accesssory ports lol.
i replaced a 15A, not a 10A - so unless it was changed by someone else to a 15 i dunno... i didnt look at the diagram to check it, just put a 15 where a 15 was :angel:

'03 LS Crew Cab
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

maybe it is 15 i just know that one was less than the other!!
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ