Cab mounts on frame starting to rust

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

CGRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cab mounts on frame starting to rust

Post by CGRob »

Hey Gang,

I was under my crew checking my torsion bar mount bushings and noticed that the two rearmost cab mount brackets on the frame have started to rust pretty bad. The one on the drivers side is worse than the passenger side. They appear to still be intact, but I want to go ahead and replace them.

As these are made as part of the frame and welded in place, I am sure that buying a new bracket is likely not an option. As Crew Cabs are scarce in the wrecking yards around here, finding one used probably isn't an option either. Is there another S-platform that i may be able to source these brackets from? I typically find loads of S-Blazers, and an S-10 Pickup here and there at the junk yards. Do any of these trucks utilize these same brackets? I'm hoping to cut off the donor brackets and weld them in place on my truck. I suppose I could fab them out of steel angle and weld them in if I cant find any in the junk yards.

Are there any other options that I should consider?

Thank you for your help,

Rob
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Cab mounts on frame starting to rust

Post by HenryJ »

I don't know the answer, but maybe the upfitter's manual would give you a good idea of what might work. It has the frames for all the s-series and all the dimensions.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
CGRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CGRob »

Good idea. For the life of me I couldn't remember what that manual was called. :lol:

Just finished looking through the Upfitter's Manual; didn't find anything definitive, however, the cab mounts from a 4-door Blazer 4X4 may be a possibility. Looks like a trip to the junk yard is in order.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction HenryJ. :thumb:

Rob
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Anytime, keep us updated. Yours is the first , other than a few that have done channel jobs, ZR2 chassis, or fullsize beds :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Ruffstuff sells a couple brackets that might be able to make work for this. The have them listed as outriggers. I'll find a link if you are interested.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

The crew cab frame is the same frame as the ext cab s10
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
CGRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CGRob »

Henry J - I will definitely keep everyone posted on my finds and end solution.

Stucky - I looked at the outrigger mounts you referenced, but unfortunately they wont do the trick. Thank you for the info nonetheless! :thumb:

ApproachMedium - I went back to the upfitter's manual after reading your post. I was hoping I missed something, however according to the manual, the rearmost mounts on the crew are in fact different from the extended cab. Looks like the closest possibility may be a 4-door Blazer, again, according to the manual. I know that quite often I find that just because it is on paper, doesn't always make it so. I suppose I should go root around the junkyard and see what i find. Thank you for your suggestion!

Rob
CGRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CGRob »

Finally got around to replacing these cab mounts. I ended up finding a 4X4 Blazer at the junk yard and cutting a pair of cab mounts from it. After cutting the old mounts off of my truck, I realized they were in worse shape than I originally thought. They appear to rust out on top of the mount, around the bushing, where it is hard to see.

The process was pretty straight forward; support the cab, unbolt the mount, cut it off, weld in the new one and reassemble with a new bushing. I sprayed a couple coats of primer along with 2 coats of under coating and that was it. Good as new. Just be very cautious on the driver side mount; it is very close to the fuel tank and is limited on working space. The passenger side was a breeze.

-Rob