My "new" crewcab has issues.....

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

daemeon2

My "new" crewcab has issues.....

Post by daemeon2 »

Just picked up a 2003 Sonoma SLS Crewcab w/ ZR5 suspension for a cheap price. I was told it used to be a postal route truck. I expected from that that the front needed some work and suspension components. I never expected what I was told at a friends house after we got it on a lift. The frame is cracked in several places near the right front upper control arm area. The engine,trans, interior, and 4x4 is in perfect shape. It even has fairly new tires on it too. The bodywork part I can handle as I own 4-S-10's and 2-Sonoma trucks.
What I got to ask may sound stupid, but in my mind and my location, this is a very rare truck.
1) Will a ZR2 Crew cab frame fit under this truck with no modifcations ?? (mounts, etc...)
2) if not the ZR2 frame, Then what else ?
3) If only a ZR5 frame.., then How to go about trying to weld this up? (Insurance company is freaking out over it and is still in debate on whether to insure it for me...)
4) If I had my way.., I would lengthen the frame for a 6ft bed and SAS the suspension from a 3/4 to 1 ton c2500HD truck(flipped onto cab and was totaled out) I could rob the parts from.... IF it ends up this way.., what all parts will be needed for the SAS conversion ??....
5) If I end up eXtending the frame.., what length is needed to add to frame to get a 6ft bed and will the bed mounts need to be relocated as well ?? Also where to cut it at... ??

Picks of below are from when it was on the rack at my friends shop. It was very dissappointing to see this to a rare truck.... :x

Thanks ahead of time for all info and help on this subject.....

THANKS !!

Signed,
Allen
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: My "new" crewcab has issues.....

Post by HenryJ »

Look for and download the GM upfitter manuals. They have details frame specifications and you will see there are many differences in the ZR2 frame. The excab comes closer , but still not a good match.
SAS may be the best bet for saving with all the cut and patch that needs to happen, barring a good chassis swap.

There are a couple examples of a 6' bed on the crew cab. One 4x4 and a couple 2wd. Probably won't find much help though as those members are long gone as far as I know.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Built2Bend
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Built2Bend »

As Henryj said frames are pretty different. But you don't have to have a zr5 frame. The zr5 are only an appearance package. So any crew frame should work. There's actually a crew in my local pick n pull if your close by you could try and pull the frame from it. Or find a crew at one of your local junk yards. Also as Henry said there are a few crews with 6 foot beds but I don't think any if them were well documented. But you can check them out I know a guy with one but he used a full size frame on his. You also mentioned sasing your truck they're tons of good write ups on it and you can damn near do a complete sas bolt on.
Last edited by Built2Bend on Fri May 20, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Easiest thing to do is car-part.com and try to locate a crew cab frame. The ZR-5 as others said was just appearance. There was nothing different in the suspension etc.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ