replacement catalytic converter

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

replacement catalytic converter

Post by Cajun »

i did search the site before asking this question...I need to replace my catalytic converter. My local shop says that they will only replace it with a chevy bolt-on unit, parts $1,300 plus labor is about $2,000. They are not a muffler shop so no welding. They say that in their experience that aftermarket catalytic converters last 6 months to a year before throwing a code. Has any one changed there own catalytic converter , what brand did you try and what results did you have?

Thanks for the help!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

That's a ridiculous price! Personally, I'd go to a muffler shop. I don't know what a new one costs, but a qualified shop could do it in an hour or 3.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: replacement catalytic converter

Post by Cajun »

Will be bringing it into Mieneke tomorrow. Quite to cut out old a weld in a universal is $475
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

Replaced my whole exhaust from the exhaust manifolds back for around $1100 I think it was. Magnaflow bolt on kit. Have had it for 4 years at least and no codes. It's a quality converter though.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I had an aftermarket unit installed that lasted for 3 months. The reason was because my engine was not running right. If your engine is running good, no codes no misfires it should be fine. Engine was repaired and the second aftermarket unit lasted until the V8 was installed with yet another aftermarket cat which was a few years later. My v8 has been running with a magnaflow performance cat AND passes local emissions testing for almost 3 years.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ