dash speakers

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

plantone
Crew
Crew

dash speakers

Post by plantone »

so i've been buying components up for the new head unit to attach to... but cant find any listing as to what speakers go into the dash?

is that just a tweeter in there or what?

i dont want to have to hack and slash anything into place, would prefer a drop-in fit.

from what i can find on crutchfield a 6½" goes in the rear door, a 5¼ goes in the front door

but they dont list the dash speaker :/

suggestions ?

thanks! :)
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

4x6. I believe I went Polk.
plantone
Crew
Crew

Re: dash speakers

Post by plantone »

i think i'm gonna stay in the rockford fosgate line so the sound quality is consistent.

with the RF sub in play as the core to this sound system, it should serve alright.
"Politics: The art of appearing candid and completely open while concealing as much as possible." - Frank Herbert

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries" - The French Fellows
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03 LS Crew Cab
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

so i just got off the phone with crutchfield, the tech tells me that the reason their audio component pairer doesnt show anything is nobody makes a speaker that will fit that location - either mounting depth is too deep, or the magnet is too wide, etc. how did you shoehorn a set of polk's in there? did you have to cut and slice a bunch of stuff?

'03 LS Crew Cab
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Not that I can recall. I don't remember there being any issues. But it's been like 4 years or so.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Found this in my thread:
I just put in a full system that consists of an alpine that I had bought last year, 4x6 Polk plates in the dash, 6.5 polks in the doors, and a bazooka bass tube
plantone
Crew
Crew

Post by plantone »

good stuff.

forgot go hop back on. Local speaker shop confirmed that 4x6's fit in the dash, and all that normally needs to be done is modify the mounting plate just a bit. said any competent installer could do so easily.

looks like crutchfield was wrong on this one - and their guys are usually pretty good with this oddball kind of stuff.

thanks again guys.

'03 LS Crew Cab
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

IF you want components, just use the tweeter plate in there to mount your tweeters to. You will need to run a line from the crossover to the tweeter up there so its properly balanced and protected. The hole is 4x6 for the base model truck to have speakers up there. Our trucks use a tweeter up there and the 6.5 in the door. So a 6.5 component set works well. My truck has pioneer coaxials in the door and the old stock tweeters from my VW in the plates. They fit perfectly and it sounds incredible for the under $500 sound system lol.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ