Replace Transfer Case

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Replace Transfer Case

Post by Horsehammerr »

Has anyone got a Step by Step run down on removing and replacing our Transfer Case ? :?:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Replace Transfer Case

Post by LoneWolf04 »

There isn't much to it. Drain fluid. Remove front and rear prop shafts. Remove all vacuum lines and electrical connections. Remove attaching bolts to transmission. Go in the house, eat wheaties, then go pull out the case. If I remember correctly you will need to finagle it a bit to drop out. I'll be finding out again soon, need to do rear main seal soon.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I looked and decided to just drop the crossmember, way more room to work and it really wasn't that big of a deal. Should be changed out in the next couple days. No Hurry
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Old one OUT , New one IN . Boy that was fun. Now if I had only remembered to put the vent hose back on before putting the 5 Tranny bolts in :roll: I'll see what I can do. Cross member not in yet so I think lowering it well give room to attach it ? :?: Anyway , on to hooking all the rest back up and hoping it's fixed. Turning old case by hand can find no looseness or rattle feelings at all. Feels exactly like the new one :?: Only thing left that can make any noise that I can think , would be the Tranny. All four drive shaft joints feel tight and smooth. :?: Did seem to have extra fluid in old Transfer Case :?:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Noticed rubber on front drive shaft CV joint is cracked. I took it to parts place to match a replacement and got to fiddling around with the old one still on the shaft. pushed towards shaft and got dry grinding sound, just like what I heard when driving ! Now I think this could have been the whole problem , not the Transfer Case. So now I have a new used TC with only 179 miles on it installed , waiting for delivery of new front shaft CV joint. Live and Learn I guess.
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Anyone know how to change the front drive shaft CV joint ?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Horsehammerr wrote:Anyone know how to change the front drive shaft CV joint ?
Thanks, I got it. :rock: