Hot Feet Fix

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Hot Feet Fix

Post by HenryJ »

Dragonmaster wrote:Found this on GM's techlink forum:

quote: If you can find vacuum schematics a few years back you will see that they added a vacuum actuator to the case called a "slave" valve, it has a grey hose going to it from the control head.

BUT this is only supposed to exist with AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL!

A bad example is doc# 389165, it shows the hose and actuator I speak of but I can't find anything that shows operation for the "slave" door.

What happens on vehicles with C60 manual HVAC is that the door causes ambient air under pressure at the cowl to be forced through the heater core making it nice and toasty and cooking the driver's foot because the mode door rests in the "heat" position.

Open the glove box, lift up the wire hook and swing the door down. Now you will see right in front of you this actuator with the grey hose, take the grey hose off the vacuum actuator and stick a bolt in the end of it so it won't hiss or leak, tie it back so it won't rattle around and close the glove box.

You just fixed this concern, made the customer happy, flabbergasted your SM and if you think I am full of dookie, try all the other modes. They are TOTALLY unaffected by disconnecting that actuator, the heat is just as hot and the A/C is just as cold.

I think in the '96 manual comparing the vacuum scematics on C60 and whatever auto is on the utility you will see that the grey hose and the actuator are not supposed to exist on C60 manual HVAC vehicles.

I am not exactly sure what this "slave" door is supposed to do but I know when you turn the HVAC knob to Off it fries your feet.

I think someone sold them on the idea they could use one case for all units and neglected to mention that you'd have a few hundred thousand folks with burnt toes.

I thought TAC figured this out by now with someone's help I guess I never called and told them because I know how to fix it already.

I have done this to half a dozen customer's cars and they all leave happy as a lark.

Call me nuts if you want but that's how to fix it and althought it is "normal" (because ALL of them do it) it's still wrong.
Thought this was important enough and such an easy fix, that I'd add it here too.

Edit: Image

The gray line that runs to the "Vac pot" in the upper center is the one I disconnected and plugged.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

okay so i did it....but i still feel air coming thru....was i supposed to plug the actuator....i plugged the gray tube......
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

a2b wrote:okay so i did it....but i still feel air coming thru....was i supposed to plug the actuator....i plugged the gray tube......
As I understand it that is all that is required.

It just keeps the activated door from opening.

I'm a little unclear as to what that door does since it and that actuator are not shown for either manual or automatic HVAC.

Let us know if it feels cooler on your feet with the controls in the off position.

I didn't notice a big difference, but I have the control valve, so I already had Kool Feet :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

a2b wrote:okay so i did it....but i still feel air coming thru....was i supposed to plug the actuator....i plugged the gray tube......

Yeah, but is it HOT air?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Ok, I tried it. It works. Now I'm p***ed. :x GM, what the @#$%&* is with you people. Not counting the time it took to clean out all the junk from my glovebox, it took less than 20 seconds to fix the hot air problem using the instructions posted here. Kinda makes you wonder about a lot of manufacturers these days. How many other simple to fix problems are there like this where rather than fix it, they just try to sweep it under the rug and act like it's not there?

Ok, I've vented. I'll go away now. :roll:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

i don't know the size diameter of the hose but may i suggest getting a pvc shut off vavle instrad of a bolt? :idea:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Justin wrote:i don't know the size diameter of the hose but may i suggest getting a pvc shut off vavle instrad of a bolt? :idea:
It is too small for other than maybe some aquarium air valves. Also if this is correct you would never need to open it.

I used the leftover plastic tip from one of the tubes of RTV Silicone. It is tapered and fit pretty snugly.

I think it would take a 1/4" bolt to plug the line. I thought about using a spent 22 cal. casing too.

What ever works ;)

Gotta love those low buck mods! :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

From what I got off of gm's techlink forum the cases for both the automatic and manual air controls are the same. With the auto air the computer uses that actuator for minimal airflow but it controls the temperature of that ar flow. With the manual controls the other oputputs for air temperature aren't there when the controls are off so it just pumps out hot air as that is the default.

Just another way they try to cut corners to save a buck.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

okay so the air still comes out, but comes out cool....which is way freaking better
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This forum is the best...

Post by Don »

Hey Guys, I can't believe it....I jumped on here first thing this morning to see if I could find any information about hot air blowing in and smoking my feet....bam....there it was right in my face ...Ole HenryJ came through for me again....man, what a site ya have here....

I think I'm going to the Chevy place, and put in the suggestion box that all new S-10ers be required to join this group.... :D

Of course they would probably shoot that down, because it would probably shut them down.... :lol:

Thanks for such a great site guys...I'll be glad when I can contribute something instead of just using it to find out fixes..
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Nice find. I've never noticed hot feet but NY is just now feeling like summer. :oops: I'll have to monitor it as I would like toasty feet during the winter months. Good mod for you guys in the sunbelt.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

Conman wrote:Nice find. I've never noticed hot feet but NY is just now feeling like summer. :oops: I'll have to monitor it as I would like toasty feet during the winter months. Good mod for you guys in the sunbelt.

Con

This only affects the air flow when your air is turned off. If you don't turn your heater on in the winter sure it would probably not heat up, but wouldn't you have it on in the winter anyway? This doesn't affect any of the functions while the control knob is not on "OFF".

Personally I like to be able to turn the A/C on for a a few minutes then turn it off while driving in the mountains in the summer and not have the heat immediatly return via hot air blowing in on my feet as soon as I turn the system off, and believe me I live in the snow belt Calgary, Alberta Canada.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

Is this the hot foot fix when the heater is on or off?

I think I read somewhere that hot air was blowing on the foot when the HVAC was in the off position. I've never had that problem ('03 fix? if so, what did they do, block the grey hose).

Anybody know how to fix the nuclear toe syndrome with the heater on? (or is that what this does)
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I reconnected the vaccum tube to the actuator.
Living in Pa with this cold spell we've been having in the East.....i kinda like the hot feet feature :)
Last edited by kwalsh on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kwalsh wrote:I reconnected the vaccum tube to the actuator.
Living in NJ with this cold spell we've been having in the East.....i kinda like the hot feet feature :)
Me too,and the vac. valve, just for the winter.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Yeah, I noticed that the heater just doesn't seem to get quite as hot as it did. I guess the "hot foot fix" will have to be a seasonal thing.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
kwalsh wrote:I reconnected the vaccum tube to the actuator.
Living in NJ with this cold spell we've been having in the East.....i kinda like the hot feet feature :)
Me too,and the vac. valve, just for the winter.
I was going to do this but I realized I never turn off the blower as I have Remote Start so either it's on AC when in the summer or heat in the winter. Remote start has paid for itself last winter let alone this really cold one. Both of my Vehicles have it(my Wife made me get it for her car last winter). BTW, with remote start, you don't have a surge in heat that could crack your windshield as since the truck is still warming up, it does seem to ramp up the temp slow enough to not crack anything. Worked so far this winter. Glad I got those heated seats as well! :D

Cheers,
Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

When all of you guys say "hot feet", does the hot air only flow out the bottom floor vents, or teh dash vents too....

On my 99, I have tons of hot air blowing out the dash vents when when the control knob is in the OFF position....... We are talking about the same thing right?
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I have a stupid question.. I just got back from a long trip to vegas. and I hate the hot air in the off position.. but my question is? In the older cars you could slide the knob over to cool and a vent would open [WITH THE A/C OFF] and give you fresh air from outside whether it was cool outside or hot.. I couldnt find this old feature on my CC. I didnt want the a/c on cause It affects my gas mileage.. :oops:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, "vent" is mixed with hot air and fresh air. its soooooo stupid that gm let the vehicles do this
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

vent? sorry no vent button here... just little people with arrows and max a/c and a/c .. oh and defrost
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

2bunik wrote:vent? sorry no vent button here... just little people with arrows and max a/c and a/c .. oh and defrost

what :shock:

mine had max ac, ac, vent, floor, mix, defrost
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:x does any one with the little people know :(
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

2bunik wrote::x does any one with the little people know :(
There's Max A/C, then regular A/C, then bi-level A/C, then Vent (arrow pointing towards little dude's head), floor vents only (arrow towards little dude's feet), floor and defroster mix, and defroster only.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

AZS10Crew wrote:
There's Max A/C, then regular A/C, then bi-level A/C, then Vent (arrow pointing towards little dude's head), floor vents only (arrow towards little dude's feet), floor and defroster mix, and defroster only.
Another Question, Recirculation is only "ON" on the AC settings?

Con
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Conman wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:
Another Question, Recirculation is only "ON" on the AC settings?

Con
Recirculation only works on MAX A/C, not on the other A/C settings. You can tell this because on every A/C setting except MAX the airflow out of the vents increases as your vehicle speed goes up...at least it does on my truck. Wonderful huh? :lol:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
JoeFargo

Post by JoeFargo »

I took my '03 ZR5 into the dealer last week for an oil change. They noticed some seepage around an oil cooler line and offered to replace them under warranty. I took this opportunity to ask about how it is always so hot in the cab, even with the heat off. The service manager indicated there was no fix for it, so when I brought the truck in the next day, I printed off the instructions from this thread, complete with the pictures. When I picked up the truck later that evening, a mechanic stopped me in the parking lot and asked if that was my Sonoma. When I said it was, he broke out into a great big grin and said, "Your fix worked!" He said he ran the truck for 45 minutes and it stayed cool inside, and then he asked if I minded if he kept the printout. Of course I didn't mind. He obviously has worked on this problem before and is now very happy to finally have a fix. Right on the invoice they had written that the GM PI's (I think that's what it was called) state there is "no fix at this time" for the hot feet problem, but "the material provided by the customer" (that would be me, and all you guys!) seemed to do the trick. After about 4 days of driving, I can say for sure, it did fix it. Thank you!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

JoeFargo wrote:...I can say for sure, it did fix it. Thank you!
This is why we are all here!

Thank you for taking the time to post and enlighten yet another tech :D

Welcome to the forum, too :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

Yes welcome Joe
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Wowzers, I just got around to really reading this fix. I thought it had to do with the other fix that required stopping the heater hose flow. I have something against that myself. But I did this one in a matter of seconds. I used a plastic cap that fell off something to plug it up. I was thinking you might get some air leak with a bolt through the threads. I'll have to see how it does the next time I drive it. Thanks!!! :P
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

TIME DO THIS MOD WITH THE HEAT COMING ON
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:alert: IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS MOD... DO IT TODAY.. IF IT TAKES LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES ..ASK FOR HELP HERE.. BUT GET IT DONE.. :alert: or at least consider getting it done..
unless you live in alaska or some other cold place where its cold 10 months a year ..
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I must agree, this is an great mod. I did this mod last spring, but un-did it in the fall with the upcoming cold weather in mind. Now that spring has arrived :D , I think it is time to re-do the mod.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Retep wrote:I must agree, this is an great mod. I did this mod last spring, but un-did it in the fall with the upcoming cold weather in mind. Now that spring has arrived :D , I think it is time to re-do the mod.

Pete
Maybe one of these IV pressure valve thingies would make this modding/unmodding easier?

Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

whoa.... That thing looks scary. :shock: :shock: :shock:
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

barch97 wrote:
Retep wrote:I must agree, this is an great mod. I did this mod last spring, but un-did it in the fall with the upcoming cold weather in mind. Now that spring has arrived :D , I think it is time to re-do the mod.

Pete
Maybe one of these IV pressure valve thingies would make this modding/unmodding easier?

no officer i am not a drug pusher :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

well... you don't need the whole needle and tubing thing but I couldn't find a pic of just the valve.
Jim

Post by Jim »

barch97 wrote:

Pete

This is the part that is needed
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.1268
Valve, headlight & wiper door vacuum override $24.99
Last edited by Jim on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My vote goes to one of these-

Remove junk from glove box, open, remove line install cap , reinstall line.
Vacuum line cap $0.25 , cool feet ....priceless :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:My vote goes to one of these-
[img]image[/img]

Yeah, the hardest part of this is "remove junk from glovebox". Glad my wife doesn't drive my crew. She can really pack junk in a car! She even admits that a car is an extension of her purse. Need I say more? :lol:
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

GaryH wrote:
[img]image[/img]

Yeah, the hardest part of this is "remove junk from glovebox". Glad my wife doesn't drive my crew. She can really pack junk in a car! She even admits that a car is an extension of her purse. Need I say more? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

jarhead wrote:
GaryH wrote:
[img]image[/img]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
you can always push in the catch one the left hand side and let the stuf free fall on the floor board.. :shock:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Hey, the fix works excellent!!!!!!! :shock: :D
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I did this mod again last night with hot weather coming on.

This time when I disconnected the grey tube, the actuator released the vacuum with a hiss and the arm extended out from the actuator thus closing or opening a door. I don't remember this happening before :? . Everything works as it should.

What is this vacuum actuator for?

Pete
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Retep wrote:...What is this vacuum actuator for?
Auto climate control, which we do not have. (I think, IIRC)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
saigonron

Post by saigonron »

on the air flow coming out of the dash vents when everything is off. I took my 03 sonoma crew in for that and other things. turns out that their was a bad actuator on the air mix door. was a warranty fix[/b]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

this fix is for the air coming out of the foot vents only.. it seems like the problem you have was caused by the vent door that seperates foot vent air from top vent air...
rmzl
Regular
Regular

hot feet fix on a blazer ?

Post by rmzl »

Hi guys,

first visit and first post :( .
Does anyone know if the fix applies to blazers? I have a 97 LT, no pass side airbag, so the glove box is not under the dash.
Anyone has done it before ?

thanx
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've never noticed this hot air blowing on my feet phenomena but mrs barch has been whining about it for a year or two. So, I've finally had all I could stand and set out to fix it. I think I was successful but, as I never noticed the hot air before, I really can't tell. The gray vacuum tube? is it the little one that looks more like a wire than a tube?

and, when I disconnected it from the black round plastic thing up there, it was sucking not blowing. Is this correct?

I jammed a stainless bolt into the end of the clear connector thing.

I sure hope it doesn't get sucked up inside the engine and cause something expensive to break. :shock:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You got it all right!

Should make the misses happy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blu Blazer

Post by Blu Blazer »

A Big Thank you to whoever found this!
I couln't figure out why my feet were so hot when ever the a/c was off. Now I can cruise around w/ the windows down and the rear glass open and enjoy the cool air w/out the a/c on!
Last edited by Blu Blazer on Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blu Blazer wrote:A Big Thank you to whoever found this!
Thanks for taking the time to post your satisfaction :D
Glad you found the fix, and welcome :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blu Blazer

Post by Blu Blazer »

2bunik wrote:I have a stupid question.. I just got back from a long trip to vegas. and I hate the hot air in the off position.. but my question is? In the older cars you could slide the knob over to cool and a vent would open [WITH THE A/C OFF] and give you fresh air from outside whether it was cool outside or hot.. I couldnt find this old feature on my CC. I didnt want the a/c on cause It affects my gas mileage.. :oops:
Going a lil of topic
I used to pop the hood & unplug the compressor clutch control wires because of this.

I have had a FIX in mind for this, for some time now.
:idea: I was thinking of putting a 3 position On-Off-On toggle switch inline w/ the compressor clutch.
1st On position, is auto. Controls work the way it came from the factory.

2nd Off position is, well OFF! No matter what position the dash controls are in, the compressor will not engage. I thought of using a red L.E.D. activate in this mode....... But I have no Idea how to do this unless I use a different control device. :?:

3rd On position is Always On. No matter what position the dash controls are in, the compressor will be engaged. I was thinking of having a blue L.E.D. activate in this mode. And I need to check for the proper power supply for this.

Maybe I'll actually draw up a schematic for it one day.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

the hot feet fix gives you some fresh air.. I think you might be on to something though ..
Blu Blazer

Post by Blu Blazer »

Well, I got the Idea From my NeoN. It gives U an option of having a/c or no a/C in all modes once a small mod is done. it also give U the option of fresh or recirculated air, but I'm not diving more into the vacume than the hot foot fix requires.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

as it is over 80 here today my feet were burning up so I did the mod my ? is when I disconnect the gray hose and plug the end do I need to do anything with the black round thing I removed the hose from ??
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

OH MY GOD!!! You didn't just leave that unplugged and drive around with nothing stopping the air from escaping the black box, did you? That'll cause all kinds of horrible things to happen. :lol:

No, it's just a pressure activated actuator. With no pressure it rests in the closed possition. Therefor preventing warm air from blowing out on your feet. With vacuum line attached and hvac control set to off, the vacuum pressure holds the actuator open.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

so I take it theres no way to stop the air on the feet completely?
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeff024 wrote:as it is over 80 here today my feet were burning up so I did the mod my ? is when I disconnect the gray hose and plug the end do I need to do anything with the black round thing I removed the hose from ??
Nope it will default to a closed position.
I take it theres no way to stop the air on the feet completely?
Didn't the hot air quit blowing on your feet?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

its not as hot but I would like the air to stop alltogether
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

barch97 wrote:OH MY GOD!!! You didn't just leave that unplugged and drive around with nothing stopping the air from escaping the black box, did you? That'll cause all kinds of horrible things to happen. :lol:
I really worry about you sometimes! :lol:
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I'm a little confused here, because I also always have air blowing on my feet, but I can control the temperature by changing the temp setting on the dash for the climate controls. If I move the knob to cold then cold air comes out on my feet with the fan in the off position and if I move the temp knob to hot I get hot air on my feet (again with the fan set to off). I kinda like the feature as I can get cool air (I assume vent air) on my feet in the summer without having the fan on and I can get a "leak" of warm/hot air on my feet in the cooler weather when I don't need the whole system turned on. And best of all I can determine whether the air "leaking" out on my feet is warm or cold just by turning the tempertature knob (even though the system is off it still controls the temp of the "leaking" air). I've had two S-10s and both functioned this way the day I bought them....doesn't everyone's?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

jeff024 wrote:its not as hot but I would like the air to stop alltogether
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

now that I have cooled the air on my feet Im getting air through the vents all the time how can I stop that besides turning the dial off ?
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 model, V-6 vortec engine, Hot feet issue

Post by Qamar »

Today i had tried to remove the glove box for fixing the issue of hot feet in my truck. Had removed all the front screws of the cofront door of the glove box. Even then the inside plastic cover of the glove box never came out .
So fixing the nut or plastic cap in the concerened vacum pipe is still amystery for me. Shall be grateful if someone who could guide me as how to open up the glove box. I dont want to break anything as i love my truck. :D
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Boy are you going to be sad when I tell you this...

You'd better sit down...

To access the vacuum line to perform the "hot feet fix", you DO NOT need to "remove" the glove box.
  • 1. open the glove box
    2. remove the contents of the glove box.
    3. feel along the inside of the top edge of the glove box opening. there's a small spring/wire loop on the left of the top inside edge.
    4. press this spring/wire loop up
    5. swing the glove box down and out of the way.
After completing the vacuum tube modification, just swing the glove box back into the dashboard opening and you'll hear the spring/wire loop snap onto the top rear edge of the glove box.

Good Luck and don't be too hard on yourself. :D
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

Is this spring/ wire located near the glove box light (Bulb area) ? IS it before the bulb or after it. Or inside at the extreme Relay Area left hand upper corner.

Sorry for asking you again and again
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

It's on the top edge toward the left but not all the way in the corner like the light. It should be pretty easy to see/feel. It's like a hook that holds the back side of the glove box to keep it from opening too far.

Sorry, I haven't got my camera here at work. I'll take a pic and point it out more clearly when I get home this evening, if you still haven't located it.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

It has just occurred to me that your 1996 Blazer might have a different glove box than my 2002 sonoma or my wife's 2001 Blazer (both have same hook stop mechanism) so, this could all be completely irrelevant.
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

Thanks for your help. I have tried my best but could not make it up. Shall be grateful if you can support your info along with the pics.

Once again thanking you for the pain you are taking.

Regards
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

I think you are right. Mine 1996 Blazer S-10 must be different from your 2001 or 2002 model.

Well even then you gave your best shot.
Regards
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Oh, I thought we all were talk'n crewcabs here. Yea, that may be diff. Mine's 01 and it just as easy, just small clip thing and hinge it down and watch all the junk in the glove box fall out. :lol:
Facosta

Hot feet fix

Post by Facosta »

First of all thanks for all the great info in this forum!

Does anyone know if the hot feet fix works on a '95 S-10? Over the weekend (after reading about this fix) I tried looking for a way to get to the hose mentioned...YES, I did empty the glove box ( :lol: ), but I could not get access to the grey hose to plug!

Any suggestions? :idea:
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I did my annual hot feet fix back in early May.
A few days later, I noticed air coming out the vents with the HVAC control set to off while accelerating hard or climbing a steep grade. It took me a while to realise maybe the hot feet fix had something to do with it. I un-did the fix only to still have the same problem. I began to suspect the transfer case vacuum switch and thought I would have a costly repair in my future. I then re-did the hot feet fix and the problem went away :?

After reading the thread about the redesigned transfer case switch, I think I should do a little further investigating and probably replace the switch as a precaution.

Pete
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Hot feet fix

Post by HenryJ »

Facosta wrote:Does anyone know if the hot feet fix works on a '95 S-10?
Any suggestions? :idea:
HenryJ wrote: Image

The gray line that runs to the "Vac pot" in the upper center is the one I disconnected and plugged.
Does yours look like this?
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK