New wheel bearings @ 53k

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

New wheel bearings @ 53k

Post by Justin »

It's been an occuring problem with the front passenger side wheel. It was making alot of noise. 2 months ago, i jacked up that side and the wheel had a little bit of play from top to bottom. Over the course of that time, i would hear a popping noise in the front end after the truck was sitting for a bit, then driving for like 10', it would pop. Today, i took it in for a service and had the mechanic move it. Basically, the mechanic told me I was lucky to get it there and that I shouldn't drive it any longer like that. So they are replacing it but its not cheap...$350
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

don't tell me that -- I've got some knocking coming from that corner - I havr 48K on the truck, but mine really only seems to be audible while hitting smaller, frequent bumps, or on asphalt that has some "chatter" to it.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

just jack the truck up and see if the wheel has some play top to bottom and side to side. If not, than its something else. That noise could be something in the suspension. T bar, A-arm bushings, ball joints?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
04revx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by 04revx »

TTT because I think my right front wheel bearing quite on me last night. For the past couple of days I've been hearing a humming noise coming from that tire at speeds over 35 mph. Last night it started making a clunking noise. Slight side to side movement in my tire. Hobbled to the nearest parking lot because now it was making a lot of noise. When i would hit the brake my ABS would be activated...kinda sketchy when you really need to stop!! So its sitting at the shop until they can get to it monday morning. This is nothing I have the time nor the ability to try. How much damage besides the actual bearing do you think might be done?

Just turned 60K miles the other day. Summer on the beach probably helped it go. :?
2000 4-Door Blazer 4X4-Stock for now, but have plans.
2004 Ski-Doo MXZX 600 H.O.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04revx wrote:... I've been hearing a humming noise coming from that tire at speeds over 35 mph...Just turned 60K miles the other day.
I have nearly the same story. I have had a vibration in the front for a little while now. I did notice a little cupping on the front tires and thought that might have been the culprit. I had though I was just overdue for a tire rotation , not yet being familiar with the BFG AT KO's needs.
So today in preparation for an upcoming expedition, I rotated the tires. Upon jacking up the front I found the LH wheel bearing was bad. There was quite a bit of lateral movement.
This is the hub assembly that was replaced under warranty at 28,000 miles. I now have 56,909 miles and it failed again.
I purchased a NAPA hub assembly for $175. I comes with a ABS sensor, but does not come with the rubber o-ring seal that goes between the hub and mounting surface. Mine was still pretty good , so I reused it.
Those of you capable of changing your own brakes can handle this job. It is not hard. The socket needed for the axle nut is 36mm. It needs to be a deep socket. You will find that a 1 7/16" socket is only .020" larger and works just fine. I found I had neither in a deep version, so had to invest in one. The standard ( 1 7/16 ) socket was $6 cheaper than the metric socket. Guess which one I bought? ;) The socket was $24.
I pulled the caliper, caliper bracket, rotor and then used a gear puller to break loose the axle shaft after removal of the nut. Three bolts to take loose the hub assembly and three mounts for the sensor wiring to remove.
Everything went well and Hopefully this NAPA hub will outlast the right hand side which is still original equipment.

Summary: If you feel a vibration in the front, don't assume tires. Consider checking your wheel bearings. If you find a bad one , don't be afraid to fix it yourself.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I was told by a friend that my driverside is bad from just me talking about it. But I am not so sure. I have no movement Lateral or side-to-side. I have a squeek everytime the tire goes around. It quiets a little when I turn left and it gets LOUDER when I turn right. I greased everything that i can get on and still is there. Any ideas what it could be?
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Anyone know what this could be? I checked my brakes and they seem to be good still.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

doughboy5499 wrote:...Any ideas what it could be?
Front Wheel Bearings Diagnosis Complete the diagnosis. If you do not have the equipment , take it to your alignment shop and have them help you diagnose the problem. You're probably due for an alignment check anyway.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: New wheel bearings @ 53k

Post by ludwis »

Just changed my very first wheel bearing, did the front right (currently at 118K miles) was as simple as henryj said. Took about 2 hours start to finish including a 4 tire rotation.

Bought the new hub assembly on amazon ~$120 and used Autozones lone a tool program to get the 36mm socket, breaker bar, and gear puller. Tools only cost me a little bit if gas going to and from autozone.

All in all, pretty easy, thanks for the guide again!
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade