Hot Feet Fix

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

just did this mod yesterday.. its great
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Did the hot feet fix last night. What a difference. I should have done this before it was summer time. You guys are really on the ball. Thanks
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

Finally that damn heat is gone!!! This fix is great and only took 15 seconds to do!! I used a small bolt and the vacuum helps keep a very tight seal. Good info, thanks guys!!
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Post by S10CREW01 »

I'll tell you what this is one of the easiest most worthwhile mod I have even done. I even think I gained and extra 3 HP with this (hahahahaha) Great MOD. Thanks to the crew at the S10crewcab.com
[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]
ss262

Post by ss262 »

Finally, after all these years of putting up with this! Awesome
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb: :wave:Welcome to the site.

Just remember that the mod is seasonal. If you live where it gets cold in the winter you have to hook the line back up :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Angelique
Regular
Regular

Post by Angelique »

OK, I did this quick fix because even when I would have the a/c on my feet would be melting from the heat coming in. Now my question is, can I still use the A/C with this fix or not? I understand that when the cold sets in I will have to reconnect the hose for the winter in order to use the heat.

Angelique
2003 S-10 Chevy ZR5 Crew Cab
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yes, your AC will work just fine after this fix. And, no you do not need to reconnect it to make heat work. Heat works just fine after.

Reconnecting the vacuum line will hold the damper open allowing warm air to flow thru while the AC/Heat control is OFF. So, reconnecting in winter will provide added warm air before you turn heat on.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Does anybody un-do this mod for the winter??? I have for the last couple winters, but now I wonder why. I think I will leave it as is this year and see what happens.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I undo it during the winter. I use a small rubber vacuum line cap to plug the grey line. I remove it and cap the tee for my shut off valve, so I can have heat in other than the defrost position.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

im going to leave it just turn the dial for heat
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

HenryJ wrote:I undo it during the winter. I use a small rubber vacuum line cap to plug the grey line. I remove it and cap the tee for my shut off valve, so I can have heat in other than the defrost position.
You can't get heat from the floor vents with this mod????
Mine functions just like it is supposed to. Heat when and where I want it and not when I don't. Thats why I have been thinking of not undoing it this year.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Retep wrote:You can't get heat from the floor vents with this mod????
Sure everything functions correctly. I just like the hot air blowing on my feet during the winter. It does it even when off.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

hello, guys i have a question so the tube that you disconnect is for climate control is that for digital temp control? if so can you put a digital temp control in our trucks.
shakin

Post by shakin »

I have been "over looking" this site for a few days now and have to say, this has to be the most mature site I have seen as far as sites for vehicles go. This "hot feet fix" is the best thing I have seen on here so far. I cant wait to get it done. I wont be able to tell the difference until summertime now though, cause the temp is in the 20's at night and 30's in the day time.

Thanks, Greg
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

shakin wrote:I have been "over looking" this site for a few days now and have to say, this has to be the most mature site I have seen as far as sites for vehicles go. This "hot feet fix" is the best thing I have seen on here so far. I cant wait to get it done. I wont be able to tell the difference until summertime now though, cause the temp is in the 20's at night and 30's in the day time.

Thanks, Greg
Greg,

Wait until spring to do the "fix". It's a seasonal mod and you'll get cold feet this time of year. Welcome to the forum :wave:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

shakin
:wave: welcome to the site

I leave my hot feet fix all year around when I want some heat on my feet I just turn the dial to the right
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
gil morales

Post by gil morales »

:) I just recently logged onto the S10 site. I own a 2002 that I bought new. From day one we had the " hot foot" problem. Several times I spoke to the dealer about it and each time they told me there was nothing they could do about it. After I saw the fix on s-10crewcab.com I tried it right away. It took maybe 5 minutes and it worked!! I thank you and my wife thanks you. Keep up the good work.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, welcome. A wealth of info here on late model S-series.

Pretty soon, I'll need to do a reverse cold-feet-fix when it starts hitting below 30 deg. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:...need to do a reverse cold-feet-fix when it starts hitting below 30 deg.
I did mine a couple days ago. The weather here turned cool and warm feet are not such a bad thing now :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I guess I just never have needed to do this fix. I just have never turned off my climate control.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
jdeller
Regular
Regular

oh ya

Post by jdeller »

so much better. i have seen all the post bout it and lastnight befor i left work i plugged minwith a lil bolt. and man what a difference!!! thanks so much!! JD
JFeg

Post by JFeg »

Hi guys! I´m new to this forum and have read all above and tried to get any suggestions to my problem with constant heat no matter what I do! I´m still confused....

I have a Blazer ´99 LT 4 button awd with automatic climate control - I can´t shut the heat off ! This happened suddenly from one day to the other.

Yesterday I checked the heater controls and took the grey vacuum line off the actuator behind the glovebox - very strong vacuum (No traces of transm. oil in the vacuum line) and with it connected to the actuator air comes out (always HOT) where it is supposed to relating to the direction knob, so that function seems to be OK. Blower works perfectly as well. Nothing wrong with the two fuses I found related to the HVAC either. Something has to be wrong with the automatic temperature control, is that contolled by a computer?.... if so can it be reset?... Any ideas?
I´ll take it to the Chevy dealer for a scan next week. Hope for help with interpreting the codes later...

Oh, I forgot, does anyone have pictures over the HVAC system that show all parts in there and how the are connected to each other. Perhaps from the original GM repair manual?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

JFeg wrote:...Something has to be wrong with the automatic temperature control, is that contolled by a computer?.... if so can it be reset?... Any ideas?
I believe it is controlled by the BCM. I don't know of a reset.

I am not as familiar with the auto climate control. I have heard that the control head is problematic.

You might want to make sure the inside air temperature sensor is functioning properly. It is inside the headliner just above the left front door. It has a fan for airflow. Make sure it operates and the sensor is not covered with contaminants.

The pictures in the manual show the doors and wiring diagrams. Not much to be very helpful in this case. Hopefully the dealers scan will be of assistance.

Make sure the doors are all operating properly. A stuck door could be an issue.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I tried the hot feet fix yesterday on my '04. Of course like everything else I've done to this truck, it hasn't worked as intended. I've done the fix on several other S-series including a couple blazers, which I thought had the same interior parts as the crew's.

I pulled the grey hose off the actuator on the HVAC assembly. Hot air stopped, however I lost my floor vents :(. As soon as I plugged it back in, the floor vents worked again!

Any thoughts? I can get pictures of the hoses in my truck if that would help.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Windsuield Fogging

Post by Horsehammerr »

I have tried to feel for hot air on my feet while running down the road,but can not find any source of air flow at all. This is with everything in off position. The problem I have is my Windshield fogs up until I set the selector to the farthest right Windshield only setting. Then I get whatever temp my temp control is set on. Too cool makes it fog Windshield and side windows, too warm makes it too warm. This is the pits, when the outside temp is reasonable, I should not have to use the air system at all. Is there a fix for shutting off the airflow to the Windshield when the engine is running?? HELP :twisted: :?:
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Interesting, very interesting

So, I went out to do this quick fix and found a couple of interesting things.

1) Were glovebox lights optional on these trucks? I see the hole for the light, and the cutout where the switch is supposed to go, but no light or switch. I felt around and also felt no free wires or wiring harness....def. need to take a closer look

2)Small bag of weed. Yup. Im not sure how much it was, never been into that kind of thing, id say it was about the diameter of a quarter. Been disposed of since (had some other stuff to burn, so it went up with it)
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

grey line

Post by Donnie »

I took the line off, then put it back, it is only functional in the defrost mode, with out it, my defrost didn't work...I also don't have the hot feet problem...so where does that leave me? Could it be where the units were manufactured and when?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What vehicle do you have?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

grey tube

Post by Donnie »

HJ got the 2004 S10 ZR5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dunno. I can not verify any changes in the HVAC system. I will have to accept that yours is different and I am sorry I do not have an answer for you.
Wait a minute! If you don't have a hot feet problem, why in the heck are you messing with this?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke, silly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Awesome fix!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Hey all, got tired of using pliers for the plug on the hot feet fix. I installed a small 1/4 turn valve, works great. I try to get some pics up.

PICS Update here.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
jpchurch34

did not work...well kinda

Post by jpchurch34 »

Pulled that hose as instructed. DId in fact cut off most air to the floor. But in any setting, it no longer pumped air to the floor. At full floor setting, it pumped out the top vents. :?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: did not work...well kinda

Post by HenryJ »

jpchurch34 wrote:Pulled that hose as instructed. DId in fact cut off most air to the floor. But in any setting, it no longer pumped air to the floor. At full floor setting, it pumped out the top vents. :?
Then you have problems elsewhere. I suspect that if you reattach the gray hose you will find you have the same problem. That is as long as you did have it plugged good and the vacuum leak was not what was causing you the problem.
The slave door does not control the direction of air from upper to lower. It controls the fresh air traveling across the heater core. It was designed to be used on the auto climate controls. Ours do not have that and it is defaulted the wrong direction.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Hot Feet Fix

Post by HenryJ »

Link to "Hot Feet fix II" stopping the air
Key words: Hot Feet fix Deux , Hot feet fix two, Hot feet fix part 2

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Minn12
Regular
Regular

Post by Minn12 »

Worked like a champ on my 02. Took longer to clean out the glove box than make the fix!
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Indigo04 »

Necromancing the thread, I just did the fix on my 04CC. Nothing quit working out of the norm, anything involving the AC on the feet is about 20* cooler. Now to find the vacuum leak I hear behind the controls.
2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.