Wireless control winch lights

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Wireless control winch lights

Post by HenryJ »

While winching, light might be a good thing. The winch is a huge draw on the system and shutting off accessories will help reduce the load on the charging system.

My winch is receiver mounted for installation on the front, rear or another persons vehicle. I thought it would be handy to have a set of lights mounted to the winch. This way I could shut off all the vehicles lights and use the winch lights during operation. This would also provide light adjusted where I need it on the back or anywhere I attach the winch. It might also be nice to have a pair of 55w lights that can be switched on remotely for camp lighting when needed.

The trick was going to be making it easy. Wireless operation is the key. There are some VERY expensive kits out there, but I found these: Optronics HyperX driving and fog lights
This way I can operate the lights remotely.

The round lights have been discontinued. I found a set for sale on Ebay. They should be here next week.

I should be able to mount the controls on the winch control box and the lights to the winch carrier handles. All that should be needed is to tap the winches power cables.
I'll update when parts arrive.

For any of you who are a little intimidated by running the wires through the firewall, these might be a simple solution?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
shift220

Post by shift220 »

Maybe a better solution would maybe be to install an keyless entry system, and make use of the "aux" (or trunk) button that most of them have. You just need a switch thats can be electrically turned off and on. Plus you benefit from the alarm, remote start or just keyless entry on the remote.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That might be an option, but neither easy or affordable, probably would not work for my application since it would not be portable.

If I were to attempt using the stock system the remotes can be expensive, I don't know that the BCM could be reprogrammed to add the needed function, and I would have to run at least one more wire to the winch in each place it mounts.

I like the idea that if what I am planning to do works the unit is self contained and can still be used on any vehicle.

Nice idea using an aftermarket remote start unit, and might be a consideration when shopping for one.

If you just wanted to flash the headlights, I think you could tie into the panic alarm and add a relay to flash the headlamps. Heck you could probably set it up to activate the headlamps instead?
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You'll need to make everything water/mud proof :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

These are VERY cool 8)

I wired them up tonight, and put the winch back on. Wiring is as simple as attaching to the positive and negative cables. I had to shorten the wire and modify the winch control box to hide the connections and fuse.
The lights come with two remotes. I'll be able to keep one in the truck and the other in the tent, house, pocket , etc.

I mounted the control box to the winch solenoid box. It will be as weather resistant as the winch. I keep a cover on it most of the time, and that should help too.

I'll get some pictures another time. So far this rocks!

With the winch on the rear hitch this will be a great asset.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It became apparent that there was no way to tell if the lights are on during the daylight or under the city lights, so I added a guide/ indicator to the winch.

I used an old stainless steel and brass CB antenna with a spring base. It was drilled to feed the wire through the base and attach a light. I spiral wrapped the wire around it to the base. This breaks the airflow and avoids vibration at highway speeds. I then covered it with heat shrink and red filter was slipped over the bulb.

This now lights with activation of the lights and the bulb is just visible over the hood.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Well now....aren't we industrious :lol:

Nice work Brule. Maybe one day I'll be able to get myself another winch and learn a bit from ya :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally got the chance to drive it in the dark last night. I sure am glad the mast on the front was not taller. My actual line of sight has the bulb just hidden by the angle of the hood. I have to sit up a little to see it directly. The little gauge light bulb that I used sure seems bright. I don't know what candle power it has, but glad it doesn't have more. I can see the glare even when it is hidden from line of sight.
Nothing terrible, but I am glad it is where it is :mg:
If I ever decide to use an LED, I'll keep in mind that it needs to be a weak one.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Updated pictures:

Image Image

The HIDs are great and the wireless remote switch from Optronics has been perfect.
The read cover for the bulb has faded some. It still works good though. I find it hard to believe I have not torn it up.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Wireless control winch lights

Post by HenryJ »

Just a little update.
The Optronics HyperX wireless light control that I had been using was very good. Sadly I let the remote control go with my old truck. That means replacement was needed. Sadly Optronics control seems to have been discontinued.
I tried a couple of the cheap ebay wireless controls and could not get control of the relay bounce. They just did not work!
Enter CYRON Lighting products

I found mine through Amazon for $34 delivered CYRON LIGHTING WIRELESS REMOTE 12VDC 20A RC2-12
This unit is rated for 20A which should be more than enough for my two 35W HID offroad lights.

They work great so far.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have the wireless Warn remote on my winch. The lag time is seriously dangerous. I know that you are discussing lights but, the winch wireless controller has some serious time delay issues while performing recoveries. By lag time, I am saying 2-3 seconds of it. We both know that can spell disaster.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Warn Offroad lights offer wireless control. I looked for their light control and could not find one. Guess I should be glad I did not. That delay could be bad even for lights.

I had one heck of a time chasing down a wireless controller for lights. Lots of low amp stuff out there, but hard to find a decent heavy duty one.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

DDM Tuning LED lights

I've been running the DDM tuning light kit in the KLR. One word...Awesome! I expect that the LED offroad lights are equally as good. Nice to have an affordable solution.

- ThunderII KE7CSK