Steering stabilizer Question and install

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

weaselmf

Steering stabilizer Question and install

Post by weaselmf »

Is it possible that the Blazer Steering linkage with the hole in it for the stabilizer shock mount would be a direct replacement on our crew cabs? Because we have the mount on the other side just not that one.... I feel the truck wondering a bit and think that a stabilizer would help. It did on my jeep....

Edited title-HJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Steering stabilizer Question.

Post by HenryJ »

weaselmf wrote:Is it possible that the Blazer Steering linkage with the hole in it for the stabilizer shock mount would be a direct replacement on our crew cabs?....
I bet it would! Take some measurements, and check the second gen Blazers for the stabilizer.
I'm not sure how common it is though? It may have been used primarily on the offroad package Z's. The four doors may have had them too?
Maybe some of the Blazer guys here know?

I kind of forgot about chasing that mod, thanks for reminding me! :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

I have been considering the ol' u-bolt on stabilizer set up, But I really don't trust them. If they get loose or move it can cause some real problems!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Do all the crew cabs from 01-04 have the stabilizer mount on the frame? If our frame is the same as an extended cab then shouldn't we be able to find out what year extended cab 4x4 had the stablilizer option? If we could then we would just need to order the correct center link and shock for it. I have been looking lately, but I can't seem to find the correct info. I agree that the u-bolt style isn't as nice and can develope problems if not secured properly.

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I found some info and part #'s for the steering stablizer @ www.gmpartsdirect.com. Steering damper, GM part # 22064628 for $32.68, and relay rod (center link) GM part # 26055302 for $74.35. Both parts appear to fit our trucks according to the years listed, but are universal and fit many other GM trucks also. If you go to the site and do a parts search for your CC under suspension/steering you will see these parts and a breakdown of what vehicles they fit. Thay also have diagrams which are helpful. :wink:

Steve
weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

Great job on the parts info!!!!!! I too have been looking and was unable to figure out which model and year had the correct link. I will be trying this out as soon as I can scrounge up some funds.

Thanks again
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Speaking of scrounging up things :D Look what I grabbed at the salvage yard today-

It is off of a first gen s-series Blazer. Everything looks right, but I have not measured for sure yet.

They are all over the place, I found three others on the other rigs , just at this one salvage yard.

I may get time to install this weekend, we will see how the other projects go, and if I have time.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

henry......let me know if it measures out......i'll go and find me one too!!! :)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Speaking of scrounging up things :D Look what I grabbed at the salvage yard today- It is off of a first gen s-series Blazer. Everything looks right, but I have not measured for sure yet.
Cool 8) , they really do exist :thumb: If it fits it will be cool to see how it handles ruts and uneven surfaces. :)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

top_sgt wrote:.....let me know if it measures out...
It measures out :thumb: and clears everything just fine. Looks like stock equipment.

It took a couple hours to install, there was some cussing when I ruined the seal on the pitman arm :mad: , but other than that things went OK.

It appears to be slightly lighter than the stock relay rod. The stock rod is more like a cast piece whereas this one appears to be formed. I am not worried about the strength since my old S-10 has the same one and has held up just fine.

I haven't done more than down the road and back, so I can't give any performance reviews. It will be next weekend , at the earliest before I can get off road. Perhaps I will have some further views after a good caching run ;)

Total investment: $20 :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

sweet....guess i'll call some of the yards around here monday!!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine came with a decent steering cylinder, but NAPA sells replacements (part # SC-2937 steering cylinder) for $26.88

- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

already have the damper...just need the centerlink!! 8)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:It measures out :thumb: and clears everything just fine. Looks like stock equipment.
Very nice :thumb:

Steve
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

I have a 99 2 door 4x4 blazer...... no steering stablilizer here.... :(

It would be cool to see a write up for this install if the results are good.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

twodoorblazer wrote:...would be cool to see a write up for this install if the results are good.
The results are good so far. It may just be psychological at this point, but it feels a bit more refined, or smooth on the highway.

It is a simple bolt in swap. A write-up may not really be needed. You can check out this page that I threw together - Steering stabilizer It may be of help ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

thanks for the info henry!!
weaselmf

Post by weaselmf »

You rock HenryJ!!!! Now if you can just figure out the step side fenders on the fleetside bed for the extra tire coverage, all things would be hunky dory.......
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

weaselmf wrote:...Now if you can just figure out the step side fenders on the fleetside bed for the extra tire coverage, all things would be hunky dory.......
[Al Borlan voice] "I don't think so , Tim" [/voice] :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:bump:

Just wanted to remind those who are making a trip to the salvage yard.

This is a nice low dollar upgrade!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

This centerlink / relay rod and steering stabilizer cylinder is off of a first generation S-series Blazer
And I just threw one away!!! :x

Actually, I threw away a bunch of stuff from "Project Blazer 1" that I wish I'd kept now! Nuts! Image
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:bump: Thought I'd shine a spot light on this mod for those going to larger tires

Hey you guys going to 33's!

This would be a really good addition. The larger tires can really use the steering stabilizer.

It really is one of the cheaper bolt on modifications. Isn't it time for another alignment anyway? ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:bonk: :bonk:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: One mod deserves another :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A possible alternative is Rancho. There are some on Ebay.

I emailed the seller to clarify a few things. Will keep you posted :D
Last edited by F9K9 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
rlith
Crew
Crew

Post by rlith »

Rancho makes a kit for our trucks in the rancho 5000 series... It uses the stock mount on the frame and an adapter for the non steering stablilzer cross link.. Runs about 50 bux...All parts are included in the kit...I've run this kit in 2 trucks and makes a world of difference...
[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rlith wrote:Rancho makes a kit for our trucks in the rancho 5000 series...
That may be a good option. Do you have a part number?
How about pictures of the kit?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlith
Crew
Crew

Post by rlith »

Go to www.pghconsulting.net/teal and click on SPECS and click the rancho link there, then just grab the usage grid for the partnumber... (You want the one with the complete kit) I ended up ordering my through Advance autoparts
[size=75]See my ride at www.pghconsulting.net/teal[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rlith,
Good to see you here. Thanks for joining :wave:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Ranchos on EBAY now at $40 and reasonable shipping.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, I see now. A handy person could fab up that bracket, buy a couple u-bolts from the hardware store , and pick up a replacement stabilizer cylinder from the auto parts store. That should run around $30 or less I would think.

It does look like a good option. Funny all the different options seem to pan out at very near the same price. It is just your preference on which one to use.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

So do we only need to get the RS5401
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ludwis wrote:So do we only need to get the RS5401
If you have both OEM mounts, otherwise you will need the kit with the u-bolts and bracket.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Just got my Rancho steering stabilizer kit in last night and installed it today. takes longer to jack up and support the truck with factory jack than it does to install. Took it for a test drive, steering is much smoother and much less loose feeling. With all the wind we have been having around here I am hoping this will help keep me from wandering around on the road the way it has been. Only bad thing is that I noticed that my swaybar end links look shot, rubber bushings look deformed and squashed. Will have to decide if I should get them replaced under warranty or just go ahead and get the energy suspension kit mentioned in another thread.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

04crewvt wrote:Just got my Rancho steering stabilizer kit in last night and installed it today.
Did you get your kit from E-bay or somewhere else and how much did it cost?

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

jc whitney- about 60 bucks with shipping probably could have done better but I had a bunch of stuff I was ordering at the same time so I got 15% off the whole order and 90 day deferred billing.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Another alternative to this quest is to mount one is from Superlift. I was unable to locate this thread for some unknown reason. So, I started another online search today.
F9K9 on TXZR2.COM wrote:EDIT............Just did a lot of searching and a couple of phone calls. Rancho was not much help but, I found a Stabilizer through AutoAnything.com made by SuperLift, PN 92210, that will allegedly fit a non RPO ZR2. SuperLift confirmed that it will work with a stock and 2" SL that did not come with a OEM Steering Stablizer. It is on sale at AutoAnything for $54.89 with free shipping. SuperLift has a $66.xx msrp on them. They are ordered and enroute. Thanks for trying to assist :thumbsup: I'll report back if they do not work out!
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steve2003 wrote:summit has it also
Good find Steve :thumb:

At least if, anyone is in need the Autoanything.com is a little cheaper and the S&H Summit standard charge ($9.95) is avoided :D

BTW, thanks for reinforcing everyone's opinion of our senior citizens :bonk:

BTW 2x, I would trade ya' if, I lived nearby and could keep all that chrome covered up with mud or spray on bedlinerImage
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:...NAPA sells replacements (part # SC-2937 steering cylinder) for $26.88
It looks like NAPA may sell the the centerlink as well. Part # 272-1591 $66.69 is listed for 2wd S & T-10. That may be incorrectly listed for 2wd since T designates 4x4.

I have not yet confirmed that this one does indeed have the hole needed to mount the steering stabilizer, as the picture was wrong too.

LMC does list the center link part # 29-5512 $59.95 , steering stabilizer part # 29-5445 $39.95 and a kit to add a steering stabilizer with u-bolts part # 29-5444 $59.95

1-800-LMC-TRUCK

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:Another alternative to this quest is to mount one is from Superlift. I was unable to locate this thread for some unknown reason. So, I started another online search today.
F9K9 on TXZR2.COM wrote:EDIT............Just did a lot of searching and a couple of phone calls. Rancho was not much help but, I found a Stabilizer through AutoAnything.com made by SuperLift, PN 92210, that will allegedly fit a non RPO ZR2. SuperLift confirmed that it will work with a stock and 2" SL that did not come with a OEM Steering Stablizer. It is on sale at AutoAnything for $54.89 with free shipping. SuperLift has a $66.xx msrp on them. They are ordered and enroute. Thanks for trying to assist :thumbsup: I'll report back if they do not work out!
I threw the SuperLift stabilizer on tonite. Not even time for a test drive because dark was rapidly approaching and my pup needed his time to play. Instructions were a POS and the "shock" itself looked generic but, they threw in a sticker that you could put on it (as if, anyone could see it under the shield) :lol:

I'll have to revisit it because I left a foam grommet off of the shield bolt that I located during tool collection time.

Intial (very early) impression Image
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Here is one for sale on e-bay! :D

I'm using one very similar made by Rancho. :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have zero experience with these and didn't even know if, my ZR2 had one. Does it make a noticeable difference?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:I have zero experience with these and didn't even know if, my ZR2 had one. Does it make a noticeable difference?
I noticed a slight difference with mine, but I'm sure it would be much more noticeable with larger tires like 33's and up. :wink: In normal every day driving it helps a little, however when you go off road on heavily rutted roads it really makes a difference. :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for the "heads up"!

Now I know not to expect miracles :wink:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

So does this one fit our crews? Summit
I'm looking for one that will use the stock bracket yet have the ubolts to attach on the other side.
And I don't know what the install involves but I'm assuming I don't need an alignment after?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Apparently they have them at autozone too, Trailmaster brand, part 7104 supposedly for an 82-01. But I don't think theres any difference after 01. I talked with trailmaster and you have to have the factory mount and it comes with the rest, anyone else used one of these? I was thinking about combining this with the swaybar poly bushings, also at autozone, to improve handling.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Just curious. :?: You guys having trouble with shimmy in front or wanting these for some other reason I'm not aware of? My CC has the link with the hole in it but lacks the shock and bracket for the other end. Just wondering cause in my "early" days of wrenchin people only put them on to avoid shimmy in the old solid front axle 4x4's. And believe me when that shock went bad YOU KNEW IT! :shock:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Not for "shimmy" if you are referring to the feeling given with a bad wheel bearing, or loose steering components.
For those of us with larger tires it greatly improves the driving experience. I would say it is like the difference a well insulated interior has over the tin can sound of one without. More a quality feedback, not the harsh tinny feel.
Less likely to follow the rutted pavement. Smooths transitions. Eases the forces applied to the steering components.
The guys with the big tires will appreciate the shock when offroading. I know I do. These were standard on many of the first generation S-series SUV. That is where I found my steering relay rod.
I would suggest that yours is the same as mine, if it is stock , in that you have the frame mounted bracket and lack the hole in the relay rod for the steering dampener to attach.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote: I would suggest that yours is the same as mine, if it is stock , in that you have the frame mounted bracket and lack the hole in the relay rod for the steering dampener to attach.
Nope! Just the opposite. My relay rod has the hole and there's no bracket for the other end. Don't know why but I noticed it the first time I had it up on the lift. If I hadn't been familiar with 4X4's I never would've even noticed it. :blink:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds a little strange. Might be yours was a pre production line model? I could see someone swapping the relay rod, but that would not explain the missing bracket.
That is going to make it difficult to add the stabilizer to yours. Good luck with that.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:Sounds a little strange. Might be yours was a pre production line model? I could see someone swapping the relay rod, but that would not explain the missing bracket.
Hmmm? Dunno. :shrug: How would I tell. Door sticker says build date is 02/01 Model T10643 1033lb gross payload. Also has another sticker next to that one which says "Built in Linden NJ by UAW Workers". No problem with the stabilizer shock. I don't run big tires, or plan to, and the driveability is fine even in severe ruts as far as steering goes. Also since the truck was so well cared for and never saw any gravel or mud before I bought it I'm sure the rod is original. (I'm the 2nd owner and personally know the original owner, a 75 yr old retired farmer.)
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

i bouth one from rancho (not instal at this time)and the guy at the store give me the same part # of the front chuck with two eye end.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Might be yours was a pre production line model?
Door sticker says build date is 02/01
Mine was pretty early. Build date 12/00. Most if not all production units cam from the Linden plant, IIRC. Yours must have been a Friday truck built from left over parts then. This is the first that I have heard of or seen that did not have the frame bracket, and has the hole for the stabilizer in the relay rod.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote: Yours must have been a Friday truck built from left over parts then. This is the first that I have heard of or seen that did not have the frame bracket, and has the hole for the stabilizer in the relay rod.
Maybe that'd explain why I always seem to be having weird problems with it. :roll: When I worked in the dealership we used to call em friday afternoon/monday morning mistakes. :lol: People in a hurry to go party on friday or too hung over to care on mondays. :lol:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

OK, so the LMC part #29-5512 centerlink for 83-93 fits our CC's ? It lists for $ 199.95. Is there a newer year model that applies ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

At that cost I would just get an aftermarket bolt on similar to what is listed above. I think I had picked mine up for $60 shipped?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Where did you get an '83-'93 Center link with the Steering Stabilizer attachment hole for $60 Shipped ? I would really like to know since it's near impossible to locate one in a salvage yard around here. I can't see spending $200 plus at LMC. :shock: 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

He bought the clamp in to your stock link shock kit. He did not replace the centerlink / relay rod.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

what year is the the "1st gen" blazzers. Because im taking a trip to a junk yard and i would like to find one but im confused about the year i should be looking for.

thanks
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

paintballrocker wrote:what year is the the "1st gen" blazzers.
Just the first gen Blazers are 83-93.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The squared body style.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

oh ok gotcha

thanks
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
ck81144

Re: Steering stabilizer Question and install

Post by ck81144 »

Just came across this post. Did that swap with the GM center link part number 26055302 work? I want to do this mod on my Blazer.