Tailgate Cable Inspection and Replacement

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Tailgate Cable Inspection and Replacement

Post by HenryJ »

Tex2kZR2 wrote:Finally..
In a separate action, GM plans to issue a “special policy” letter in June regarding the cables to more than 950,000 owners of Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma pickups from the 2000-2003 model years. The action is not a recall, but provides owners with an inspection procedure to check the tailgate for any problems.

If owners notice any bulges in the cable or tears in the plastic covering, they can bring their S-10 or Sonoma to a dealer for inspection and replacement of the cables.
SOURCE

Yes we will have to wait until June.. but I am just glad they are finally getting this fixed.
Here is the text:
MSN wrote:Updated: 7:03 p.m. ET March 10, 2006

WASHINGTON - General Motors Corp. said Friday it is recalling about 900,000 pickup trucks worldwide to fix tailgate cables that can corrode and break when loads are placed on them.

The recall involves 1999-2000 models of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. GM said there have been 84 injuries, most of them minor scrapes and bumps, but no crashes or deaths linked to the problem.

GM, the world’s No. 1 automaker, said the galvanized, braided-steel support cables that keep the tailgates in place can corrode or fracture over time because of moisture seeping through cracks in the plastic sheathing of the cable or entering between the cable’s metal strands.

The automaker had recalled about 4 million 2000-2004 pickups worldwide in March 2004 because the tailgates could break without warning. The recall involved a broader range of vehicles, including the Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade EXT trucks.

GM spokesman Alan Adler said the vehicles covered by the new recall had different materials used in the support cables and involved fewer complaints. He said the automaker decided to issue the recall after “an exhaustive investigation.”

“We worked with (the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and agreed to do the recall to get this behind us,” Adler said.

NHTSA had been investigating the vehicles. More than 800,000 of the trucks are located in the United States, and about 90,000 vehicles are in Mexico and Canada. About 3,800 of the recalled trucks were exported to countries around the globe.

Owners are expected to receive recall notices in April, but they can bring their trucks into a dealership for inspection if they suspect problems with the cables, Adler said. Under the recall, dealers will replace the galvanized support cables with ones made with stainless steel.

Most of the injuries stemmed from people sitting on the tailgate or occurred while people were unloading items from the truck bed. The company has advised owners not to sit on the tailgate.

GM said if both cables fractured, the tailgate would drop and strike the top of the rear bumper, which could cause someone standing or sitting on the tailgate to fall.

In a separate action, GM plans to issue a “special policy” letter in June regarding the cables to more than 950,000 owners of Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma pickups from the 2000-2003 model years. The action is not a recall, but provides owners with an inspection procedure to check the tailgate for any problems.

If owners notice any bulges in the cable or tears in the plastic covering, they can bring their S-10 or Sonoma to a dealer for inspection and replacement of the cables.

About 2.7 million trucks from the 2004 recall have been repaired and the automaker is trying to track down owners who have not participated, Adler said.
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed May 23, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Thats great for all those that have never done the swap out. I changed mine last summer. They should had made them do it when they did the full size trucks. Great information. :thumb:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I replaced mine with the "Help!" cables from O'Reilly AutoParts. They came with a small bolt and snap ring. The entire change takes about 15 minutes. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

guess i'll have to wait untill 2007 or so for my 2004 crewcab cables to be checked!!! :lol:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Tailgate Cable Inspection and Replacement

Post by doughboy5499 »

Tex2kZR2 wrote:Finally..

Now does this meen they will replace them for free or are they gonna charge us for them. because would'nt be like a recall if they are going to cover the cost?
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been digging into this one. My right side (passenger side) cable shows swelling. This is the signs of internal corrosion and potential imminent failure.

The first step was to contact the local dealership. They ran the VIN for recalls. Of course I told them that there were none and this was to be a "special policy" by GM. I was told to contact customer assistance. "The number is in your owners manual". 1-800-222-1020
I did just that. It took a few trys, and a very long wait for assistance.
Finally , I talked to a very nice representative named Kaitlyn Nott. She researched the issue and found that infact there was a "special policy" document released for my truck. She stated that the TSB was dated July 2006. That didn't make sense. I told her that was not possible since this is still June, by my calendar. Upon further research she said that the "special policy" started June 22, 2006. It includes my vehicle and that a special policy letter would be issued. I inquired as to when and was told that it is being done in phases, starting with the year 2000. I was unable to get any time schedule or even idea as to when.
I have a problem now. What are my options? I was told to have the dealership make the repair and pay for it myself. Then when I get the letter I can submit my receipt to GM for reimbursement. Hmmm I'm not real happy with that plan. Next I requested written confirmation that there was indeed a special policy in place. I waited while she again contacted my local dealership. When she returned she assured me that the local service department would be able to show me a copy of the "special policy".
Could the repairs be done at other than a GM dealership? The answer: "In an emergency situation where a local dealership can not perform the repairs, yes. BUT, my local dealer is able to do the repairs, so NO. It will have to be done by the local dealer in order for the costs to be reimbursed."
If damage has occurred due to the failure of the cables with that also be taken care of? Answer: Yes. Damage to the tailgate , bumper , hitch and associated parts will be repaired under this "special policy".
I thanked her for trying , but was sad that the problem was not resolved and told her I would continue to find a resolution.

Now off to the dealership. Eric, the person she contacted is "out". No one else can find anything about this matter. I had them check parts availability. The cables part numbers change three times. Then when seeking availability the right cable again changes to a new number and the right side number stays the same with "not available". GREAT! The one I really need and it is not available.

During this , Eric returns. He knows nothing of the "special policy". He says all I can do is wait for a letter. Until then he has no way to seek compensation from GM. He has never seen the information , and has no idea where to find it. I filled him in best I could and left him with Kaitlyn's phone number, extension number, my case number, and a copy of the API article linked above.

Bob, the parts guy, assured me that he would get a set of cables. I have the part numbers, but left them at work.

My next step is to file a safety concern with the NHTSA.

The battle continues.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

And the "runaround" continues. Good luck in your search for answers. When GM pays a worker $65 to sweep or cut grass they need to cut money elsewhere. The crew is my last new GM vehicle unless they make some drastic changes. Sorry about getting off topic :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:My next step is to file a safety concern with the NHTSA.
This is exactly what i did after one of mine snapped while i was standing on the tailgate unloading a mountain bike. :roll: Luckily the other one held or I could have been injured. I replaced mine with some off e-bay. I guess I should try to get reimbursed some day for the cost of replacement. The NHTSA was very fast to respond to my online complaint. They called 2 days later and asked me a lot of detailed questions. :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I took some pictures of the cables. The photos are not a very good example. Running my fingers over the left cable showed it is just starting to swell. There is a rough spot toward the middle. The right side sounds crunchy when you bent it. I am sure it is ready to go. It is also slack now. The left side is taking all the load. I am sure when it gets to the point of breaking the right side will go instantly when the load hits it.
Here are the pictures-
The right side is the worst:
Image Image
Left side:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

You guys have it easy so far it sounds.

I've replaced the straps on my Xtreme 4 times now since I bought it in Late '99 as an early '00 model.

I've come to think of it as a regular maintenance item. :(
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:...The battle continues...
Fight the power! :punch:
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Walt wrote:
HenryJ wrote:...The battle continues...
Fight the power! :punch:
Turns out I brought guns to a knife fight :crazy:

I received a call from Eric, the service manager today. He was able to get a copy of the "special policy" , or at least view it and gain a little more information.
The cables are currently being redesigned. I assume this means they are having stainless steel cables made, similar to what was done for the fullsize trucks in the recall. Parts are scheduled to be available in September. Mine will be replaced at no cost with the cables that are currently available. Those parts have not arrived yet. Once the redesigned cables are available, they will change them again.
I have not yet received a copy of the information from Eric, but I have arranged to pick up a copy tomorrow.

I did file a complaint with the NHTSA. I would urge anyone who has had or is having problems to also file a complaint. The process is done online. It takes a little while, but is well worth our time to complete. Here is a link to file a complaint

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is the document:
RECALLS-TO: ALL CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS

ATTENTION: DEALER OPERATOR, GENERAL MANAGER, SALES MANAGER, USED CAR MANAGER, SERVICE MANAGER, PARTS MANAGER AND WARRANTY ADMINISTRATOR

Subject: Upcoming Special Policy Adjustment
06020 Tailgate Support Cable
Message WIR20060281
#:

GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS
DCS1535
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: March 13, 2006

Subject: Upcoming Special Policy Adjustment

06020 - Tailgate Support Cable

Model: 2000-2003 Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma

To: All Chevrolet and GMC Dealers

Attention: Dealer Operator, General Manager, Sales Manager, Used Car Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager and Warranty Administrator

The media report that General Motors will be announcing a Special policy Adjustment involving certain 2000-2003 model year Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma vehicles.

On some of these vehicles, the galvanized steel support cables used to retain the tailgate in the full open (horizontal) position may corrode and fracture.
If both cables fracture, the tailgate would suddenly drop several inches and strike the top surface of the rear bumper. If anyone is sitting or standing on the horizontal surface of the tailgate when both cables fracture, they could fall and be injured. On vehicles that have had the rear bumper removed, the tailgate may drop even lower.

The special policy will cover this condition for a period of 12 years from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership or mileage.
An inspection procedure has been developed to assist dealers and customers with the indentification of cables the have evidence of corrosion. If corrosion is present, dealers are to replace the galvanized steel support cables with stainless steel support cables. Dealers will perform this repair at no charge to the customers.

Also, customers who have not had the special policy completed on their vehicle will receive a notice every two years from GM reminding them to inspect their tailgate cables.

Approximately 961,000 vehicles are involved and GM is working with its suppliers to obtain the required parts as quickly as possible. However, based on the anticipated schedule, customer notification will not begin until September 2006.

Until the replacement stainless steel support cables are available, if a customer contacts your dealership because one or both cables on their vehicle is corroded or fractured, replace both cables with the galvanized steel support cables currently available for service. This repair should be performed at no cost to the customer using labor operation B5750 until the special policy is released in September 2006. For vehicles that are beyond warranty coverage, dealer empowerment guidelines for goodwill adjustments should be applied or appropriate wholesale authorization obtained. When the stainless steel support cables are available, make arrangements with the customer to return for installation of the new cables.

Dealers will be advised when a release date has been established for this special policy.

END OF MESSAGE
GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK, so there really was no fight here. It seems that there is just a small lack of communication.
I would say if you see problems with your cables, then educate your local service department.
It goes back to building a good relationship. They probably did not have to provide me with a copy of this document, but I am glad that they were willing to share the information with us. That really clears things up and I am comfortable that a resolution is in progress. My safety issues will be resolved as soon as they can get the parts here.

It sure looks to me like GM has taken initiative and is doing the right thing. This really has restored my confidence in GM. While there is some communication problems in getting the message out to the service departments, it does look like they are stepping up and willing to assume full responsibility.

This is the kind of stuff that will make repeat customers.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:It sure looks to me like GM has taken initiative and is doing the right thing. This really has restored my confidence in GM.
They really had no choice, except to help their customers with an obvious defect. When I spoke the NHTSA they told me about some real horror stories of people being seriously injured when their tail gate cables suddenly snapped. :shock: I personally don't think it should have taken thousands of incidents and people being hurt for GM to finally do something about this problem. :roll: I am glad they are trying to make things right, but it should not have taken so long to do so. :!:

Steve
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Now off to the dealer to see what they will say. Hopefully, I will get the broken cable on my crew replaced.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...I personally don't think it should have taken thousands of incidents and people being hurt for GM to finally do something about this problem...
That is probably an exaggeration. While I know there was more feedback from the fullsize truck problem, there are only two complaints filed with the NHTSA. One of those is mine. An injury, is something requiring medical attention that would be compensable. I do not recall any of the members here having been injured to that extent. In no way am I trying to cover the dangerous nature of this safety defect. There is a real problem with these cables and the potential for injury is there.
I do know the problem is greater than the reports to NHTSA. That is obvious from the feedback here. As with many problems, I would imagine the lack of communication works both ways. It takes time for it to filter to the top , a decision to be made and then implementation to occur.

Other than the complaints filed with the NHTSA , I have no verifiable numbers to know just how many have really been affected , or injured. If those documented cases are available, please share the information with us.

While the solution seems to be in hand, I would still urge those who have a problem , or have had problems and not filed a complaint to do so.
It is all about communication. We are part of the problem too. We need to communicate our problem.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looks like I'll be visiting the dealership. The closest cable has slack as compared to the far one. It is also extremely flexible, has a cut in the rubber and feels like about 3 strands of wire is holding it at one location. It is bearing no weight at all. I'll fill out the paper work after I meet my deadline on the beta software testing for Delorme.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wow, that one looks worse than mine. Avoid weight on the tailgate.

Print out the document and API article. The service department may have some real difficulties in finding the information.

I'll update this thread with parts numbers for the currently available parts and the redesigned cables as soon as I get my hands on the parts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:...I personally don't think it should have taken thousands of incidents and people being hurt for GM to finally do something about this problem...
That is probably an exaggeration.
If you say so. :roll: I was told by the NHTSA that there have been thousands of s-series affected by this problem, and I can assure you there are way more than 2 complaints filed with the NHTSA for the s-series. Where are you getting your information? Have you personally talked to a rep yet?
I have! :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:Where are you getting your information?
The NHTSA database

NHTSA
Complaints search

No way to dispute what "somebody" told "somebody" ;)

What is your ODI number?

Heres mine - # 10161018

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:Where are you getting your information?
The NHTSA database

NHTSA
Complaints search

No way to dispute what "somebody" told "somebody" ;)
Ha ha, very funny. :lmao:

Either their database hasn't been updated or the guy I spoke to gave me the wrong info. :shrug:

I filed my complaint on 10/12/05, ODI # 10139475. I did bend the truth a bit on my complaint and told them both cables snapped, when in reality only one failed, but it was enough to cause me to lose my balance and fall to the ground. Luckily I landed on my feet, and didn't get hurt, but it could have been worse! :shock:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I see where a difference in the submission was. You submitted yours as "s series". Mine was submitted as a "S/T series truck".
T designates a 4x4 and this seems to primarily relate to the trucks as the Blazers cables are not subject to the same exposures.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Well I guess i should of waited. I went to auto zone and got the replacement cables and put them on. I had to move a hot tub in my truck and had only one cable. I wanted to play it safe and have good cables when I set the tub on the tailgate. I threw the old ones out too. I used a cutting wheel to cut the rivet out instead of taking it all apart. It works no complaints except the +/- $15 i spent on them.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10161207. I only found 1 other '02 that filed.

When you go with the S-Series route there is a place to select 4X4 and then truck while filling out the form.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I guess when you sift through all the "S" categories you come up with 56 complaints and counting.
It looks like you also have to add up the different categories as well. I found 10 more under a different category.
It looks like injuries are listed in less than 1 in 10.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Maybe the thousands of incidents that the NHTSA agent I spoke with included the full size trucks as well. :shrug:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That would be my assumption as well.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Complaint filed 7/3/06 ODI number 10161260
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I checked on the progress of the cables ordered to temporarily replace my damaged cables. At first the order showed "back order". When I asked for a projected shipping date they found out that they had been cancelled.
I told them that I could not wait until September when the estimated arrival date was reported for the stainless steel cables.
They checked dealerships for parts that remain in their stock and found some. Hopefully I will have some cables next week?

Keep an eye on things. If I had been satisfied with the "They haven't arrived yet" , answer I would be waiting a long long time for a parts order that was cancelled.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have been working with my service manager on my cables. I think this is the first day without actually exchanging emails :lol:

I think that he believed that they were a simple switch out like most older cables and were not as complicated as they are nowadays. He proposed to send a set with his wife (my coworker) to work to give to me. I attempted to swap out support cables on my '97 ZR2 a few years back and it baffled me endlessly. I advised him, I'd just rather have his dealership do it.

I went ahead and disassembled mine tonite and can't believe that I couldn't figure it out earlier. I wish that I had grabbed my camera beforehand to take pics. Nine torque bolts, a little thumb pressure on the clips and it was apart. I can take some photos when I reassemble if there is any interest.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am still waiting on replacement assemblies. I called today to check on status and voice my concern over the fact that the last part numbers they had were for cables and not latch cable assemblies.
Our trucks require replacement of the latch as the cable is a fixed part of that assembly.
I will check again tomorrow.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Our trucks require replacement of the latch as the cable is a fixed part of that assembly.
I have already replaced mine, and I didn't need new latches! :? All you do is drill out the old rivets and install the new cables with the supplied bolts. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
HenryJ wrote:Our trucks require replacement of the latch as the cable is a fixed part of that assembly.
I have already replaced mine, and I didn't need new latches! :? All you do is drill out the old rivets and install the new cables with the supplied bolts. :wink:

Steve
Steve,

I actually believe that the replacement with the complete assembly is 2x faster. That is if the assembly is not coming out of your pocket :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:
I have already replaced mine, and I didn't need new latches! All you do is drill out the old rivets and install the new cables with the supplied bolts.
Aftermarket, not OEM replacement.
This thread refers to the GM "Special Policy" replacements.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:

Steve
Steve,

I actually believe that the replacement with the complete assembly is 2x faster. That is if the assembly is not coming out of your pocket :wink:
I was merely pointing out that you don't have to replace the whole assembly just to replace the cables. :wink: I did mine on my own before GM even acknowledged the problem. That's cool that the official replacement is just a bolt one item. :D Drilling out those rivets wasn't much fun! :lol: I still have the receipt for my replacement cables, so I guess I should submit it to GM for reimbursement. :idea:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Yesterday, I would have welcomed the cheaper out of pocket "fix" for the cables. I do not see cheap OEM replacements on Ebay anymore but, I had long looked at the "Help" version before this "allegded" recall. I only say "allegeded" because nothing is set in stone and I happen to remember Chrysler going belly up. Hopefully GM will be afloat when the SS replacements are ready.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... I still have the receipt for my replacement cables, so I guess I should submit it to GM for reimbursement.
I asked about that scenario. You should try once the letter is issued, but the best you will likely get is that they will be replaced with the stainless steel cables.

Per my conversation with customer service. If a local dealership is capable of performing the repairs , they must be utilized. reimbursement for aftermarket replacements or installation by other than a GM service department is not reimbursable. I actually asked if I could replace mine with the less expensive aftermarket cables and was told that they would not be able to cover my costs. The only way to receive reimbursement was to have the dealership install their cables.
That was all before receiving a copy of the "Special policy" and finding out that they will install available cables at their expense , until the replacements become available.

One person has used the aftermarket cables and sees them as an annual maintenance item. That is just wrong. I hope yours fair better.

I would seek compensation , even if it comes to submitting a claim for Goodwill. I would wait for the letter , unless you have a problem with your aftermarket cables right now.
f9k9 wrote:Hopefully GM will be afloat when the SS replacements are ready.
That may not be an issue. The guys at my dealership were celebrating their good fortune, as investors must have seen the stock as a really good buy and market shares were selling like crazy. Their holdings were rebounding nicely was the impression I got.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I did save my original broken cables just in case GM wants to see them. :wink: I really had no choice except to replace them at the time since it was a safety issue. The NHTSA rep I spoke with did tell me to save everything (parts & receipts) just in case this became a safety recall and that GM should be liable to reimburse me for the cost or repair. My replacement cables are not stainless, so I can imagine that I will have the same problem again someday. :roll: I wouldn't mind getting a set of stainless cables even though my replacement cables are doing fine. :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:I did save my original broken cables just in case GM wants to see them.
A very good move! I see no reason why all your costs will not be reimbursed if you are persistent.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Checked on the parts Friday. The left assembly is the only one that has arrived so far. They expect to have the other by Monday.

Hopefully I will have all that I need then.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Both assemblies were here today. I removed my cables and ran them in. The parts department is still not up to speed on the "Special Policy" :? They asked if I was going to pay for them? I had to say , "no , they are to be replaced free of charge to the customer under the special policy and the service department knows all about it."

They do trust me and said they would "take care of it."

I took my camera and really wanted to dissect one of the cables, but they wouldn't let me :mad: They said, "GM wants them in one piece" :? I REALLY wanted to see inside one of them :mad:

Well, anyhow, I returned home and installed the new cables. It only takes a few minutes.

I received cable assemblies part number 15726086 and 15912466

I still had some slack in the right cable, so I loosened the left upper attachment to pull it down and back. Then , I loosened the right upper attachment raising and pushing it forward. This did seem to even up the tension on the cables pretty well.

I will keep an eye on them, but should be fine now. Or at least until the stainless steel cables arrive :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I will keep an eye on them, but should be fine now. Or at least until the stainless steel cables arrive :mg:
I thought the replacement cables were stainless steel. :? Wasn't that the whole point? If these are just stock steel replacements then won't they fail just like the original cables did? I must have missed something. :lol:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... I must have missed something.
You did.

From the document posted above:
Special Policy wrote:...Until the replacement stainless steel support cables are available, if a customer contacts your dealership because one or both cables on their vehicle is corroded or fractured, replace both cables with the galvanized steel support cables currently available for service. This repair should be performed at no cost to the customer using labor operation B5750 until the special policy is released in September 2006.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

See I knew I missed something! :lol: So this is just a temporary fix. :wink: Were the original factory cables also galvanized?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...Were the original factory cables also galvanized?
As far as I know, yes. But they would not let me cut one up to check.
I may see if the salvage yard has a damaged one that I can operate on. I really do want to see exactly what is going on inside there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I wonder if mine are in. I never made it to the courthouse/office today since I had to requalify several agents today at the firearms range and didn't have a chance to see if my coworker relayed mine in. That forbidding cutting them apart has me intriqued. It is beginning to sound like a conspiracy or what Barch has taught me....An "Urban Legend" :lol:
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I didn't read this whole thread, as I'm not terribly interested in getting the cables fixed on the Xtreme since it is sitting in pieces at this point.

HOWEVER, I did get the recall notice from GM this afternoon in the mailbox. I'll scan it into a PDF in the morning and host it for all to read. Not sure if that is helpfull or not, but I figured I'd share the info.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

2kwik4u wrote:I didn't read this whole thread, as I'm not terribly interested in getting the cables fixed on the Xtreme since it is sitting in pieces at this point.

HOWEVER, I did get the recall notice from GM this afternoon in the mailbox. I'll scan it into a PDF in the morning and host it for all to read. Not sure if that is helpfull or not, but I figured I'd share the info.
They appear to be ahead of schedule then. My service manager that provided my replacement cables advised that they were the same stock part number as the defective ones.
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I'm a dummy, and went off and left the papers at home.....I'll get them tomorrow :(
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bob (GM parts guy) said he got a letter on the s-series cables finally. I asked if it was a recall and he said no.
He said I could get a copy of the GM memo, but didn't have time right then. I'll check into it again.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Received my recall notice today.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

border man wrote:Received my recall notice today.
If they do it in order by year then, the next one should be out in a yr :lol:

I saw a post in TXZR2.com about the first one. Since you have the earliest CC (that we know of.........a '00) I should get mine in 2 yrs :wink:
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

According to the recall(GM is not officially calling it that) the cables will be warrantied for 12 years regardless of mileage. They recommend you inspect or have the dealer inspect yearly for damage, but the disclaimer states that if you don't want to hassle with inspections then notify the dealer and schedule an exchange regardless if the they are damaged or not :crazy:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I received my special policy notice today! The policy # is 06020 and apparently GM will reimburse you for the cost of replacement cables if you already replaced them before this special policy was announced. :D I'm glad I saved my receipts. :wink: I think I am going to have GM replace my cables anyway just so I can get the upgraded stainless steel cables. Has GM started installing the stainless cables yet or are they still just replacing them with the galvanized version? :? My letter also included a photo sheet showing some examples of how the cables might be damaged. There is also an online video of the tailgate cable inspection process at http://www.gm.com/cables. Why do they have a woman inspecting the cables in the video? :shock: We all know how good women are at taking care of their vehicles! :lol:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... Why do they have a woman inspecting the cables in the video? :shock: We all know how good women are at taking care of their vehicles!
:lol: The are much easier to watch than a guy :mg:

All jokes aside, I know more than a few women who take better care of their vehicles than I do. They totally kick my tail when it comes to detail work!

From what little I know, the new cables do not replace the whole latch assembly like the old version. The rivets are drilled out and the new cables are retrofitted. Just like the aftermarket repair kits.
I will be inspecting mine regularly and sealing the exposed ends. I have 12 years to receive the SS replacements free of charge. I think I will wait until I have a problem.

I would like to see the letter. It will probably arrive as late as the shirt did. I'm always the last :(

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I got my notice letter last night. I guess I'll see when my buddy at the dealership can fit me in.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Almost forgot, I got my letter a couple days ago.

I'll be watching my replaced cables. It is nice to know that they are covered for 12 years now :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Me too. Funny thing is it's never gave me a problem, but the Dodge Dakota I used to have did it real bad, cables rusted coating falling apart.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:shrug: Mine haven't given me any problems yet, either. However, in checking them the other day, I noticed the passenger side had some slack in it/driver side was tight, they both have some nicks that show the bare wire, and some very, very slight bulging. So hey free replacement with 12 yr coverage, Might as well get the new ones. :thumb:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I recieved my letter on Monday.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Got my letter last Friday. New cables will be on the truck before it leaves the dealership tonight. :)
--Walt
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

2003 ~ still no letter.....
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

kwalsh wrote:2003 ~ still no letter.....

Same Here....2003 No Letter Yet
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

'02..........screw 'em
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I get so much crap from GM and the dealers around here wanting to sell me my next ride I almost tore the letter up and dropped it in the shredder as junk mail.
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Had the body repair guy in town replace mine this spring, and just my letter tuesday.
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I got my letter last week. BUT, I went and got the replacement cables at autozone over the summer. Have no reciept so I guess I did not wait long enough. That kinda sucks. Oh well, I needed them when I bought them. I was moving a hot tub in the bed and did not want to break the only cable I had intact at the time. One was already broke. OH WELL
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:'02..........screw 'em
:shrug: I think they are starting with the earlier years first. The video at the link that Killian96SS posted even states that this will cover the years '00 to '03 sonomas and s-10. I'm not sure when, but you should receive a letter.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

as of today, Sept 18th
"As a valued My GMLink owner we want to make every effort to ensure your satisfaction and safety. There are currently no outstanding recall campaigns associated with your Vehicle Identification Number."
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I originally bought the O'Reilly Help! cables to replace mine. They were starting to rust as well. My dealership (where I just had the truck fixed) went ahead and put the new stainless on free anyway :) I just called the tech I know, told him I had a letter, and he said they'd take care of it, and that he could enter the VIN into their system and get the bulletin.
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kwalsh wrote:as of today, Sept 18th
"As a valued My GMLink owner we want to make every effort to ensure your satisfaction and safety. There are currently no outstanding recall campaigns associated with your Vehicle Identification Number."
This is NOT a recall. This is a "SPECIAL POLICY".
They stayed just one step removed from a recall.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

for anyone who has little doubt in their tailgate cables. this weekend my tailgate poped loose and fell into the down position while driving??? the weight of the tailgate was enough to completely snap one cable and do damage to the other , the impact was minimal as i didnt even notice the gate down and didnt hear it fall. my cables appeared to be in good condition , almost no swelling or distortion , upon looking at the one that snapped the inside metal was completely oxidized and the only tensile structure left was from the plastic coating. this also caused me to dump a water tank for my trailer into the ditch on a mountain road (again unknown to me at the time) . so if your cables look good or not check them often, mine looked good but were completely rotten. also a good idea so nobody else ends up looking for a watertank in a ditch along 20kms of road instead of fishing and beer.
T-bone02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by T-bone02 »

got mine today, almost tore it up thinking it was another extended warranty policy they were trying to sell me. I'm glad my wife's patient enough to read all that crap!
[size=75]modified air box, aluminum skid shields, custom sirius radio, 15%tint, powdercoated diamond bed rails/toolbox, mild t-bar crank, Reese class III receiver hitch, 1 3/8 core high capacity radiator[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I got my letter Monday. Haven't had either break yet but there's obvious bulging. I'd rather not have to have them replaced twice. Any word on when stainless cables will be shipped to dealers? or is this a dealer by dealer thing?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]