"Screech" Sound at 1-2 Shift

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

"Screech" Sound at 1-2 Shift

Post by F9K9 »

I thought I heard the sound once before but, had the music up and just blew it off. I just made a short run to a country store and twice while under moderate acceleration I got a definite "screech" sound at the 1-2 shift. It sounds just like a belt screech. My belt is maybe 9 months old (replaced at the CS144 alternator upgrade. CC is under yrs old and under 30K miles on the "ticker". Maybe a belt tensioner growing weak? Any other possibilities?Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Only time I've ever heard a belt screech on a 1-2 shift was on a lightning with a built trans and running double stock boost. Trans would shift faster, pull the motor down faster than the blower could slow down......Truly odd sound, and a very unique situation. I wouldn't expect the engine belt to be squeeking on a mildly modified 4.3/4L60E combo. I'd pull the belt off, throw it in the passenger seat, and run down the street. Get one or two 1-2 shifts, and see what happens. That will tell you real quick if it's the belt or one of the accessory drives.

With that said, I have no other ideas what it might be.

Never heard a trans make that noise on a 1-2 shift. What mods has the trans seen? Fluid level OK?

Any chance it's the clutchs in the rear end? Checked the fluid back there lately? Just another thought.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is the belt. Mine does it under hard acceleration all the time.
I doubt it is the fault of the tensioner, as I said mine has done this from day one.
The smaller alternator pulley, or lack of a clutch fan may accentuate the effect?
I have used the stock belt, and a NAPA replacement. Same deal...screech at the 1-2 shift under full throttle.

Someone mentioned "Gatorback" belts. I run a belt shorter than stock to improve the clearance on the lower radiator hose and make up for the smaller alternator pulley.

What is the answer? "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..." Answer: "Don't do that!"

Perhaps another belt would work. I don't screech mine all that often. It is not on my priority list right now.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...................................What is the answer? "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..." Answer: "Don't do that!"...........................................
:lol: :lol:

That was what I was hoping to hear. Sounded to much like a belt to be anything else. I usually lay off the AC and have my windows down in warm weather and so, I knew it was from up front. I can't duplicate it every time but, it's definitely from moderate throttle. I'll put the issue on the back burner for now. :wink:

To busy patting myself on the back for my near completion of my first rear main replacement without missing any waterfowl :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I put a gator belt on my cc about a year and a half ago and have never heard this noise. Don't recall it doing it before then though either. I drive hard I have a led foot on the start all the time and it don't do it. Could be just my truck or it could be because of the Gatorbelt too but.......
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

doughboy5499 wrote:.....Could be just my truck or it could be because of the Gatorbelt too but.......
I really think it is just a fluke for now. I have been putting off little things with my Crew due to working on the Heep. I knew that the Crew was a dependable steed for parts or tool runs even though it has some minor non life threatening issues right now (minor stuff like my am/fm antenna came unplugged when I worked on my XM radio last time). The Heep was a P/T dd and is down right now. New sounds from my trusty rig kinda freaked me though. :lol:

I think Brule is correct and I just over reacted..

I appreciate all the input though :)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have Goodyear Gatorback belts on all my cars and none of them ever squeak or squeal. :D

They are IMO the best belts made. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:I have Goodyear Gatorback belts on all my cars and none of them ever squeak or squeal. :D

Steve
Have often thought about them and will give them a try when I get a chance. I figure that if, they are good enough for Steve........I'll give 'em a shot :wink:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:I have Goodyear Gatorback belts on all my cars and none of them ever squeak or squeal. :D

Steve
Have often thought about them and will give them a try when I get a chance. I figure that if, they are good enough for Steve........I'll give 'em a shot :wink:
Got the Gatorback on mine too... :wink:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Steve
The Gatorback belts are the only ones that don't chirp at WOT shifts on my 97 s-10 with a shift kit.

At my 50,000 mile tune up I put one on the crew and love it.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

daevans315 wrote:..........The Gatorback belts are the only ones that don't chirp at WOT shifts on my 97 s-10 with a shift kit.

At my 50,000 mile tune up I put one on the crew and love it.
I'll try one when my current Gates becomes irritating. I dread changing it again because of the hassle I had finding the correct size after my alternator upgrade :roll:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...I dread changing it again because of the hassle I had finding the correct size after my alternator upgrade
I'll second that! One more problem is no local stores carry the Gatorback belts here. No way am I going to mail order a belt and return it three times trying to find one that works.
I will live with what I have.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:I'll try one when my current Gates becomes irritating. I dread changing it again because of the hassle I had finding the correct size after my alternator upgrade :roll:
All you need to do is take the # off your current belt and order a replacement belt.

The # on the belt is the correct size (mm). :wink:

C'mon you guys should already know that. :poke:

Most Checker, Schucks, and Kragen auto parts stores carry the Gatorback belts.

Summit can also cross reference you current belt # to get the correct Gatorback. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:...........
Most Checker, Schucks, and Kragen auto parts stores carry the Gatorback belts...........

Steve
Don't have those stores here. :wink:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote:...........
Most Checker, Schucks, and Kragen auto parts stores carry the Gatorback belts...........

Steve
Don't have those stores here. :wink:
:o :(

If you can still see the part # on your current belt, write it down and use it for reference later. :wink:

Steve
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I got my Gatorback at Advanced Auto.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

doughboy5499 wrote:I got my Gatorback at Advanced Auto.
I bought lunch today for a manager of our local Advance Auto and he is checking into special ordering a couple different sizes for me. He is also a member of one of our local crawler clubs so, I should be good to go.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
doughboy5499 wrote:I got my Gatorback at Advanced Auto.
I bought lunch today for a manager of our local Advance Auto and he is checking into special ordering a couple different sizes for me. He is also a member of one of our local crawler clubs so, I should be good to go.
Were you able to read the # on the belt your using right now?

If you can still read the # it would make it easy for him to cross reference it to a Goodyear belt. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:.........Were you able to read the # on the belt your using right now?......
I really haven't had the chance to look yet, Steve. I spend what available daylight that I have trying to finish up the Jeep repairs but, I will. The places that I am currently wheeling are to tight for CC because a SFAed ZR2 with D44 front and 20 rear is unable to easily do it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I changed to a Gatorback recently. You guys were all right. The chirp at WOT shift is gone. Any cold chirpy noises are gone.

That belt did the trick.

I did try both NAPA (Gates?) and AC Delco belts. Nothing beats the Gatorback. That will be my choice from now on.
Thanks! :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The Gatorback belt definitely has the best design out there right now. :thumb:

The Gates Poly-Cog is similar in design, however the placement of the cogs (parallel pattern instead of the 45 degree pattern that the Gatorback has) creates a vibration or hum. :?

Steve
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

I guess I believe in getting my monies worth. Original OEM belt with 118K miles on it. :) 10 years ago I bought a new '98 2.2L Ext. Cab Sonoma. Put over 100K miles on that belt before I changed it. Pushing the envolope on this belt. :shock:
YCC
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: "Screech" Sound at 1-2 Shift

Post by Horsehammerr »

This SCREECH I'm hearing is for sure coming from the rear of my CC. I hear it at about 40mph coming from the rear of the cab. First thought I was hearing an oncoming Siren, but when I let off the throttle to pull over it stopped. Accelerate and it's back. If I stay below 30mph its quiet.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Checked Gear Grease level and found below full. Took 1 1/2 quarts to fill to bottom of fill hole. still makes minor growl sound when coming to stop. Suggestions ? Can see no obvious leak locations. Been couple years since last grease replacement.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Can someone Lead me to the right 8 1/2" rear Differential to replace my Stock '02 ?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I don't know if you are 3.73 or not but there has been a zr2 axle on the Hannibal craigslist for awhile. He wants too much for it in my opinion, but it's there.

https://quincy.craigslist.org/pts/6030356154.html