Sub Placement......

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Sub Placement......

Post by 2kwik4u »

I know most of you guys with subs have the tube style that will fit behind the rear seat. Is there any other mounting options? I've currently got my jumper cables, drawbar, bottle jack, folding 4-way lug wrench, gloves, and a small 12V light back there. I'd much rather have this stuff with me than the sub, but would really like to figure out how to get a sub in there as well.

Anyone have some alternative mounting ideas/locations?
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

you say that you have a bottle jack back there, remove your OEM jack and mounting bracket and build a custom box for the space. I had too because I have two amps, one is very large, and my box back there. I took my jack and pushed it almost under my seat from the back side (I ride with my seat pretty far back so it's pretty hard for someone to ride there anyway) and slid the bar completely under. I am looking into a locking bed cap to stash all my junk though. I'll post a picture later.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Hand't thought of removing the stock jack, and fabbing new brackets to go there. That would free up a little space. Good idea!
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

This is my set up for now. As you can see the jack and it's bracket are gone so more room for the box. The box is going away soon though. The 8" MA is blown and obviously an eye sore. I'm going to rebuild one for a 10".
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here's mine. It's a 10" Alpine. I still have the stock jack where it belongs and a little space left for storage, but not much. I had to modify the back seat to bring it forward a little bit and i also cut out the carpet and the plastic to get the sub box to fit better. If you do a search, I had more detail about it elsewhere.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

Looks good. I had a problem with my first box (installed in the same place) when the sub "hit" it was hitting the back of my seat and mildly effecting the sound and leaving a very noticable ring while prematurely deteriating the sub. :oops: I recessed my 8 and it made a world of difference... untill I blew it. :twisted: I have a terrible track record with subwoofers.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Yea, that happened with my first sub too. This one has a shorter mounting depth, plus I added little blocks of wood around the sub to keep it from hitting the back of the seat.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

New idea?

Post by _STUCKY »

With everyone complaining about the sound quality of the rear door speakers and lack of usable space in these trucks, why not wire the front dash speakers for front, front door speakers for rear, and put 6.5 inch subs in the rear doors with a small amp mounted behind the seat?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Anyone? Thoughts?

Post by _STUCKY »

I see mounting depth being a hassle in the back doors. As far as a small amp goes, is there any hidden space under the dash/on the firewall? I haven't really looked around at options on 6.5 inch subs and small amps, but I remember many years ago a buddy had a tiny ( maybe 4x6x2 inch) amp. I wanna say it was like 50w rms x 2.
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Sub Placement......

Post by paintballrocker »

heres the thread with my sound system set up. for the sub i removed the jack cover and jack stuff. the box and sub is a rockford fosgate P3 shallow mount sub and box combo. with a grill cover on the sub it barely hits the back of the seat. then on the rear wall i have a kenwood amp mounted.

theres the thread; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7736&p=85003&hilit=sub#p85003

and heres a thread where i mention the box size and how everything fits, also i link the sub combo i have; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3414&p=92497&hilit=sub#p92497

hope my info was helpful
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

IF your going to put 6.5 subs in doors might as well just get the 250watt bazooka... Fits right behind the seat amp and all. There really is no room for anything in the front of the truck.

I found that once I removed the coaxials from my front dash mounts and just put coaxials in the front doors my head is now in the middle of the music. You can now hear the back speakers the way they should be. The only problem is if someones leg gets in the way of the front door speaker your loose alot of mid and highs. I am thinking of putting the tweeters from the VW in the dash like the truck came with to help fill in otherwise if that does not work out i have a set of Polk MOMO components that need a home.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
crewcabs10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crewcabs10 »

because i have no friends...or need to put things back there, i first decided to put 2 10" kickers IN the back part of my rear seat. looked factory from the front. and still just as comfortable as it came stock. then, i figured id put to use my rear leather split 60/40 4 door blazer seat, and installed the 60 part on the drivers side. and put an 18" sub where the 40 would go. unrealistic, yes, but i love it. now that i just bought a 2000 blazer im going to rip the whole back seat out and put 2 18's. cant wait :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pics!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Seems a bit overkill for such a small cab but still, pics! And I bet you could make some SPL competitions with something like that....
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
crewcabs10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crewcabs10 »

Here are pics of the 10" install...will post pics of 18" later
sub gutted.JPG
sub finished.jpg
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

WELL Thats one way to do it! LOL
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
urimashe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by urimashe »

on that rear seat install crewcabs10, how did you build the box around those wires? or did you clip and take out thouse black spring looking wires?
stepasyd
Crew
Crew

Post by stepasyd »

Nice Goin on the install there..leaves some ideas brewing in my mind...

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx HD
crewcabs10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by crewcabs10 »

Im sorry about the extremely late reply. Ive been plotting my SAS swap for this coming winter. I cut the supports out of the seat, bought the r/t 10" truck boxes ( comes 2 to an order) on amazon. Mounting depth is 5". The kicker comps mounting depth is 5 1/4" ish. Both boxes will fit in the seat fine. Just gotta rig some brackets to keep them from moving. When i traded the 10s for the 18" im glad i kept the stock seat. Im putting the same boxes, with 3/4" spacers and alpine type r 10"s / 1000w alpine amp. Definately enough bass.
urimashe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by urimashe »

anxouse to see the finished product