Battery Disconnect Switch

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Battery Disconnect Switch

Post by HenryJ »

Battery disconnect switch. Installed one today-

The key is removed in the off position. I just pulled the rubber boot off of the battery cable and ran it up to this switch that I mounted to a bracket made from 1/4" ABS sheet.

This will offer a secondary theft protection and an easy way to disconnect the battery for periods of long term parking. No worries of something draining the battery.

Here it is with the key removed and cap in place-

I really though hard about adding one of the Priority Start ProMax auto battery disconnects. None were available locally and this is pretty simple. If I have problems with it. It is easily reversible.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Good idea, Brule! I have been pondering upon the same thought.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

As many times as I have had to disconnect and re-connect the battery during all these mods, I should have done it sooner.
$17 at Bimart for a tractor-auto-marine generic battery switch and a few minutes to mount it all up. It really wasn't that bad.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule, Have you noticed any strange behavior with the battery discoed for 5 days and over? Last 2 times I have done it, the engine dies at stop signs and lights unless I keep my foot on the skinny. One or two driving cycles and it is back to normal. Coincidence or is the computer relearning the parameters?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds a little strange to me. I have not had any of those problems.
Coincidence?

Sounds like IAC valve problems, maybe. When was the last time you cleaned the TB and specifically the IAC valve?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.............Sounds like IAC valve problems, maybe. When was the last time you cleaned the TB and specifically the IAC valve?
Uuummmmmm, errrrrrrrrr, mmmmmmmmmmm, what year is this? Looks like I need to do some searching. I know I have never cleaned the IAC and I don't remember when I cleaned the TB due to working on the other rigs.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The IAC is on the back of the TB. It uses that little passage on the inside of the TB. It is a pintle valve and seat.
The stepper motor opens and closes to create a controlled vacuum leak. The seat for this valve is sort of like a tiny engine intake valve in reverse and greatly exaggerated. The seat is very similar. Metal to metal. Carbon or dirt can either mess up contact with the seat, or build up on the stem and restrict its function.
If you TB is really dirty, it may be worth your time to remove it for a thorough cleaning.
I have replaced several IAC valves over the years. They are not what I would call a commonly replaced item, but they are one of the things to watch out for.

While you are in there, the check of the cap and rotor comes back to mind. With the history you have had with them fouling (no reference to the floating "foul") I would inspect them again.

I would suspect an ignition coil if it just stalled on you, but the erratic idle doesn't really fit that scenario.

I find this hard to blame on a battery disconnect, unless you have a loose connection? Be sure to check them. I have never had any problems when I disconnected a battery, nor when it sits for a few days disconnected.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.............If you TB is really dirty, it may be worth your time to remove it for a thorough cleaning................While you are in there, the check of the cap and rotor comes back to mind. With the history you have had with them fouling (no reference to the floating "foul") I would inspect them again....................I would suspect an ignition coil if it just stalled on you, but the erratic idle doesn't really fit that scenario.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for the run down and I'll look at the TB and IAC. I want to rule out the cap and rotor since I replaced it last month. The old one was in good shape but, will take a gander at it if, I pull the TB.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Battery Disconnect Switch

Post by HenryJ »

Back on topic...

I have been riding the motorcycles lots lately. The truck has been sitting lots. After a week without running the truck battery has been down. Sometimes far enough it will not start. The Optima Yellowtop has been much worse than the Diehard Platinum was by far. That issue aside, I probably do have leaches draining my power. I have a Maglite on a charger, the ScanguageII and a Subwoofer that could be culprits as they each require power all the time. Add to that assorted battery chargers and where do you stop looking for a source.

Today I retired the manual battery disconnect switch that I had installed. It was handy to be sure, but flawed in that I had to remember to disconnect.

Today I removed that switch and installed a Battery Brain. Adventure RV had the best price on a Battery Brain Type III Gold (S018-559864) = $47.99

The Battery Brain will disconnect the battery automatically if it detects voltage has fallen below 11.8V, continuously for 30 seconds. This should be enough to be able to start thew truck.

This one comes with two remotes. Each can be used to reconnect.

Installation was easy. I did not attach the bypass to keep the clock running. I may do that later. I also did not connect the bypass wire to keep it from activating with the engine running. I may do that at some point too.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have gone this route to begin with. At the time the manual switch was easy and simple. Call me smarter or lazier, I hope this will work better for me.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

so if i get this and install it i can use the remote to disconnect the battery so it will help prevent the truck from getting stolen? it will do this by preventing the truck from starting right cuz the positive terminal ins disconnected. if this is correct plzz let me know cuz this is what iv ben wanting to do
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is right. It should also be a good theft preventative.

My plan was to disconnect the battery with the old manual switch when I leave the vehicle for extended periods in the back country. Nice idea, but being inconvenient, I never did use it.

Now having it done with a remote, I think that I might use it as I thought I would.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

awsome im gona get it to
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The one I bought must have been pretty old stock. Both remote batteries required replacement after only a few tries.
I picked up a pair of the small 12v batteries for them at Wallyworld for about $3
It seems to work fine now.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

ok ill be sure to chek that out im ordering it next friday
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

A couple of thoughts here because, I went with a battery brain awhile back in the heep. I got the platinum model at a good price and I found the "old stock" issue, as well. One remote's battery was DOA. I can't count the times that I have accidentally "armed" the unit and discoed the battery by something in my pocket hitting the "arm" button. This may be because I have to climb up into the thing and it may not be a problem with a normal rig.

Another thing that I discovered, just this past weekend, is that if, you over extend a battery with the engine running, the brain will do nothing and it doesn't claim to. I had to winch myself a short distance and I kept my RPMs up relatively high. I got to level ground and shut the engine off like an idiot. My battery was DRT or "dead right there" :-x
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

dam that sucks i had a problom like that wehn i had my explorer lol i did the same thing. but i have a question tho say your driving and you hit the battery dissconect buttin will it dissconect the battery??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The unit I installed has a wire to connect to an ignition source to prevent it from activating in the case of a low voltage.
I believe the Platinum uses a vibration sensor to disable it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:............I believe the Platinum uses a vibration sensor to disable it.
Correct! This is a case where the more expensive model is not necessarily better. :roflmao:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:............I believe the Platinum uses a vibration sensor to disable it.
Correct! This is a case where the more expensive model is not necessarily better.
Is the vibration sensor a problem? I thought it would be nice as it is a no hassle installation.

I have not connected the wire to disable mine during engine operation. I probably should, but I don't see a situation where I would need to run the vehicle with low voltage at this point.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Is the vibration sensor a problem? I thought it would be nice as it is a no hassle installation.

I have not connected the wire to disable mine during engine operation. I probably should, but I don't see a situation where I would need to run the vehicle with low voltage at this point.
It wasn't a problem to install but, it was challenging to find a place that wasn't to hot. I can't remember where I put it now. :roll: I did think that it was a little "busy" with all the various wires that went to the vibration sensor and the buzzer. One nice feature is you can arm the system 2 ways. One retains enough juice to keep the clock on time and the other is a complete disco. My accidental arming is ALWAYS a complete disco.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ah, that makes it clearer. I was under the mistaken impression that the sensor was integrated. I think I am happier with the Gold now. THX.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

i agree i, gona get the gold may i ask can you upload a pic ere you put yours henry plzz
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Image Image

The strap is threaded. I drilled out the end where it attaches to the battery terminal to allow the bolt to pass through. I also trimmed the plastic on it to lay flat against the battery.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

ok ty very much