Mystery wire with pic.

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

D_Wayne
Regular
Regular

Unknown plug in connector behind front Grill

Post by D_Wayne »

I took my grill off to clean the leaves from behind it and the radiator.

I discovered an unknown plugin connector not connected to anything. It's on the right side of the truck near the bottom of the radiator. It's not the temp. connector. It doesn't appear to go to anything. It's got a black and green wire going into the connector. Any ideas? Thanks ~Tim

[size=75]Black 2003 S10 Crew Cab with leather power/heated seats. Tow package, rear sliding window, bug deflector, Euro tail lights, Boise Spring Works Kit, Mild T-Bar Crank, Bilstein Shocks and Ranch Truck Topper.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Factory Fog Light connector ?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
D_Wayne
Regular
Regular

Post by D_Wayne »

04crewvt wrote:Factory Fog Light connector ?
Nope, those are accounted for.
[size=75]Black 2003 S10 Crew Cab with leather power/heated seats. Tow package, rear sliding window, bug deflector, Euro tail lights, Boise Spring Works Kit, Mild T-Bar Crank, Bilstein Shocks and Ranch Truck Topper.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I just popped out and pulled my grill and found the same connector also not hooked to anything. I know some other models had driving lights in the valance, could be for those but I be interested to see if anyone has the answer.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
D_Wayne
Regular
Regular

Post by D_Wayne »

04crewvt wrote:I just popped out and pulled my grill and found the same connector also not hooked to anything. I know some other models had driving lights in the valance, could be for those but I be interested to see if anyone has the answer.
Thanks for taking the time to look. Well at least now I know I'm not :crazy: . I looked for 10 minutes and couldn't find anything it went to.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

D_Wayne wrote:
04crewvt wrote:I just popped out and pulled my grill and found the same connector also not hooked to anything. I know some other models had driving lights in the valance, could be for those but I be interested to see if anyone has the answer.
Thanks for taking the time to look. Well at least now I know I'm not :crazy: . I looked for 10 minutes and couldn't find anything it went to.
I can't comment on if your crazy or not thats not my specialty but at least you are not alone.Where else could you go and have someone you have never met go pull parts of their truck just to see if they can see the same thing you found in your rig? Image
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I can't recall how many times that I have yanked my grill but. I don't recall that plug. I have a grille/brush guard and factory fogs and unless it's absolutely necessary, I'd rather not go through the ordeal just out or curiosity :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Guess you just won't join the crazy club for this one.Image
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Guess you just won't join the crazy club for this one.Image
Dunno, it is weighing on me already :lol: I need to crawl under the POS Jeep anyway to isolate an oil leak to either the rear main seal (replaced this spring) or the oil pan, also replaced! I may just look for the plug while tools are out and I am grungy 8)
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

That would be the cheap offroad vehicle you bought right? I guess you are part of the crazy club.Image
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I want to know what it is now so I can decide what to wire it up to. Secondary fogs would be great, so would driving lights hope someone has the answer.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Auto dimming headlamp sensor plug? (export version includes this)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

you arent crazy (thought id chime in late) I saw mine when I pulled my grille to run the wiring for my driving lights and saw it.
D_Wayne
Regular
Regular

Post by D_Wayne »

Thanks T Man. :D

Brule, Is that what it is or you taking a stab in the dark. Your "?" at the end of your sentence is why I ask. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am currently working a shift and do not have access to my service manuals.
That is a stab in the dark. I know that the utilities had that provision in the electrical center, although it too is unused.
There are lots of "unused" plugs on these trucks. The hatch and wiper switch plugs do come in handy. I don't see that the plug behind the grille would be of a gauge that is big enough for any high drain lighting.

I'll see if I can check the manuals in a day or two.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HEADLAMP Washer Fluid Pump-EXPORT ONLY but, the colors don't jive. The pump is located behind the bumper. So, I still don't know.
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Your truck have the temp sensor in the console?

My truck had that same plug plugged into the sensor on the back of the hood latch support. Check there and see if there is a sensor. If not then I would guess that is what the plug is for, you just don't have a display or a sensor.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

My shop manager says it is a temp sensor conection.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
D_Wayne
Regular
Regular

Post by D_Wayne »

I also thought it was the temp sensor connection at first but it's not cause I located the temp sensor connector on the middle support in front of the radiator. And yes my temp readout still works :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Still a mystery. I didn't find anything useful in the service manuals.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Still a mystery. I didn't find anything useful in the service manuals.
Brule, why don't you just ask HAL what that plug/connector is for. :lol: :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Why are we worried about the dayem thing in the first place?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Why are we worried about the dayem thing in the first place?
What , me worry?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

f9k9 wrote:Why are we worried about the dayem thing in the first place?

*Steps up on soap box and cues cheesy motivation music*

Because as evidenced on this site, we all must fiddle with something and cannot and WILLNOT leave well enough alone. If there is an unaccounted for plug somewhere, we must find out what it might go to, so that part can be added on, or something else can take its place....cmon man

*end music, fade to black*
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Amen brother T Man,
If we let one little plug elude us we might just not have the best gizmo's and gadgets in our rigs and therefore suffer the scorn of true gear heads everywhere.Image
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

sprocket modulator plug.
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

It's for the flux capacitor
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

BobbleSmitty wrote:It's for the flux capacitor
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

MARBLEYARD wrote:My shop manager says it is a temp sensor conection.
I also now think that is what it is :AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR

It's used in the automatic HVAC system and the colors matchImage
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

f9k9 wrote:
MARBLEYARD wrote:My shop manager says it is a temp sensor conection.
I also now think that is what it is :AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR

It's used in the automatic HVAC system and the colors matchImage
D_Wayne wrote: also thought it was the temp sensor connection at first but it's not cause I located the temp sensor connector on the middle support in front of the radiator. And yes my temp readout still works
I dunno, but I don't think thats it :D
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

This is not for the display in the overhead console. The automatic HVAC systems have a couple extra ones. One inside and one outside.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Why do I feel another mod coming on? :?: :idea:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

ive been thinking about going to the automatic air just because I can, and the 4 setting hvac controlls are boring
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is the rest of the wiring behind the dash? You would also need a the BCM as well as the control head , actuator controller and sensors. The upper interior sensor installs in the left upper drivers side door jamb. The wiring is part of the harness installed for the auto dimming mirror and trip computer. I know ours did not have that wiring , so I am inclined to think much of the needed wiring may not exist behind the dash for auto climate control.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

HJ, you are like a big black cloud raining on my parade.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I actually had considered it at one point. They wanted $75 just for the used control head at the salvage yard. That was out of my price range.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:..................... I am inclined to think much of the needed wiring may not exist behind the dash for auto climate control.
I am not even curious to know if, the needed wiring is there. I've done my job with this thread. Prove me wrong or else I am outa here :wink:
Indigo04
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mystery wire with pic.

Post by Indigo04 »

I did the quad beams today, though I got my wiring access a lil bit easier then removing the headlamp, I simply pulled the grill off. And while I was doing the soldering and crap I seen this dead end plug on the passengers side with nothing attached.

Anyone know what it's for?

2004 Indigo CC, 235/75/15 Cooper Discoverer at3's,shaved TB blade and chopped air box, Big 3, quadbeams, Added G80 and kept my 3.42's, leer shell (my $75 CL score), 3 car seats, Soon to have a 1.5-2" lift t-bar crank and rear shackles.
2000 Blazer LT, TB Mod, Big3, Chopped air box, Quadbeams, and a bunch more crap coming.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Mystery wire with pic.

Post by HenryJ »

I think we decided it is the connector for the light sensor on the European spec dimming headlamps? There is a thread on the subject around here somewhere...
Unknown plug in connector behind front Grill

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

Fog lamps ( on my european model) or the connector ready for for the outside temperature sensor for overhead console ?
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Well I've got factory Fogs and overhead Temp gauge, so if I get a chance I'll look and see if I've got that wire and if or where it might be hooked up. :blink:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Neither of those. Temp sensor and fogs on mine. I'm still on the auto dimming headlamps sensor band wagon. Suffice it to say it is not needed, as no one has found a use for it in the last decade.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

:?: Taken the grille of mine apart more than enough times to try and figure out my headlight wiring problems. Never once seen this plug. Maybe when I finally purchase a replacement wire harness it will have one. Who knows!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I vote for headlight washer pump connector or European fog light. In Europe cars usually have one bright light front and rear that must be on during foggy/low vis conditions Either way, it's very dumb of GM to not put a dummy plug over that connector to keep the elements out.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Upon further research, I think it has nothing to do with Europe as no S-10s were factory made for export there. Looking at the Brazilian models, they have fog lamps in the lower valance not in the headlight assembly. Could be a power source extension to below the bumper where the fog lamp harness would plug in... :?:

[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Blazers were exported to Europe and the production Crew Cab trucks share the same forward wiring harness. Provisions for the auto dimming headlamps are in the electrical center.

The picture shown above is similar to the newer S-10. Production in South America continued beyond that of the US. They also received the diesel option.

2009 S-10 Brazil

Used trucks Brazil

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Wow everywhere else in the world not only gets the cooler cars, they get the cooler trucks! I would kill for a production S10 Diesel... Or VWs new crew pickup with diesel.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

HenryJ wrote:The Blazers were exported to Europe and the production Crew Cab trucks share the same forward wiring harness. Provisions for the auto dimming headlamps are in the electrical center.

The picture shown above is similar to the newer S-10. Production in South America continued beyond that of the US. They also received the diesel option.

2009 S-10 Brazil

Used trucks Brazil
I wonder what it would cost to buy one and get it shipped here???
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo88 wrote:...
I wonder what it would cost to buy one and get it shipped here???
That part would be small compared to the retrofit required to meet US emissions standards. My guess is that it would never make it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Does it look like it has the very same cab as ours?? It kinda looks like it to me...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo88 wrote:Does it look like it has the very same cab as ours?? It kinda looks like it to me...
Yes. Earlier models had the same Isuzu bed.

European model Blazers have many special lighting requirements. Side turn signal markers near the rear side of the front fender. Amber turn signals on the rear tail lamps and a high right cut off for the headlamps. Auto dimming headlamps.
Blazers also had a right hand drive option. USPS may have used those too?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

To confirm what Henry J says about European modèles here are some pics of mine when I purchase it .
Only LT modèles where imported in Franca . It's a 4x4 year 2000 and now I have installed the Bravada wood trim for the Door switchs and the floor console . Unfortunatly it's difficult to see on the pics the turn signal marker on the front fender . If somebody can rezize the pics ?
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Europe always gets the nicer stuff. Amber turn signals! Boy I wish I had the option for separate turn signal lines. I like the fender flares too.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Love those flares! Very nice Blazer 8)
Where is the light sensor for the auto dimming headlamps Located? I wonder? Does it have a headlamp sensor up front below the outside temperature sensor? Located below the hood latch support or to the right side of the grille? Could the mystery wire be attached to it?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

On this european version it does not have the auto dimming connected ; there is a small red sensor on the middle of the dash but the BCM is not programmed . same for the day running lights .
The outside temp sensor is on the support below the hood latch .
Concerning the fender flares , only the 4x4 version where imported in France (ZR2 and 4 doors) .
For the members who will come to visit Paris , they have to plan a visit of my blazer in their trip schedule !!!!! :mrgreen:
Any other questions about european versions ? :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ahh, so the dash sensor for the DRL is the only one you have. It must have been an obscure option for auto dimming headlamps.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

It must be, I am very involved with my German car and the things they have over in germany for it. I have converted many items on my car to german-spec, including the LED factory tail lights, rear fog light and european headlight switch. I have never heard of even with the older volkswagens anything about headlights that were auto dimming? This S10 forum was the first place I heard of it. I dont doubt it existed though.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

VW had it for sure and I think the Rovers had it? Looks like the Chrysler 300 and Cadillacs had them too.
I ran across it in ours trucks while researching wiring to use for the rear hatch and wiper switch. The fuse is available in the electrical center , but I never did follow where all the wiring goes.
Wikipedia wrote:Automatic beam switching

Even when the high beam is warranted by prevailing conditions, drivers generally do not use them.[61] There have long been efforts, particularly in America, to devise an effective automatic beam selection system to relieve the driver of the need to select and activate the correct beam as traffic, weather, and road conditions change. General Motors introduced the first automatic headlight dimmer called the Autronic Eye in 1952 on their Cadillac and Oldsmobile models; the feature was offered in other GM vehicles starting in 1953.[citation needed] The system's photoresistor and associated circuitry were housed in a gunsight-like tube atop the dashboard. An amplifier module was located in the engine compartment that controlled the headlight relay using signals from the dashboard-mounted tube unit. This setup gave way in 1958 to a system called GuideMatic in reference to GM's Guide lighting division. The GuideMatic had a more compact dashtop housing and a control knob that allowed the driver to adjust the system's sensitivity threshold to determine when the headlamps would be dipped from high to low beam in response to an oncoming vehicle. By the early 1970s, this option was withdrawn from all GM models except Cadillac, on which GuideMatic was available through 1988. The photosensor for this system used an amber lens, and the adoption of reflectorized yellow road signs, such as for oncoming curves, caused them to dim prematurely - possibly leading to their discontinuation...[citation needed]

Ford- and Chrysler-built vehicles were also available with the GM-made dimmers from the 1950s through the 1980s.[citation needed] A system called AutoDim was offered on several Lincoln models starting in the mid-1950s, and eventually the Ford Thunderbird and some Mercury models[vague] offered it as well.[citation needed] Premium Chrysler and Imperial models offered a system called Automatic Beam Control throughout the 1960s and early 1970s.
Nothing new if they were doing it in the fifties 8)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Interesting stuf had no idea they had this back in the 50s! I guess thats what the two small things were on the corners of the fenders of my grandparents old caddy?

Anyhow, I have read that article before about doing the rain sensor. It was something I was going to do with my GTI but considering the windshield replacement issue, I will wait till the windshield gets too many chips or gets cracked. I never saw the one part where it says about auto dimming headlights but it just says it once. It does not give any details on how it works and when it will work? I know how the rain sensing wipers work as my mothers audi and my friends audi have this.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Oops, worng reference there I guess. They work pretty much the same as our auto headlamps. The light sensor activates a relay that dims the headlamps when an oncoming car illuminates it. Much the same as the auto dimming mirrors. I really like those, but dang they are expensive. I tried to get some used from a Bravada, but never did get a price I liked. I did install the rearview mirror though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I hear that. If it was cheap great, but if its too expensive and your hand isnt broken its easy enough to click the high beams on and off. :)
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yup! KISS :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

HenryJ wrote:Oops, worng reference there I guess. They work pretty much the same as our auto headlamps. The light sensor activates a relay that dims the headlamps when an oncoming car illuminates it. Much the same as the auto dimming mirrors. I really like those, but dang they are expensive. I tried to get some used from a Bravada, but never did get a price I liked. I did install the rearview mirror though.
On our Européan versions the dash sensor is to determine intensity of exterior light . When it becomes dark (entering in a tunnel for example) it switch on automaticaly the headlamps . When external light becomes at normal level it switch off automaticaly the headlamps . So it's not an autodimming as Brule explain : nothing to do with a in front coming véhicule .
Concerning mirrors , ours are auto dimming for driver side door mirror et inside rearvieuw mirror . the passager side door mirror is not .
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My 05 ZR2 has the same plug, and surprisingly my 96 SS also has the same unused plug right near the hood latch. I wonder how many other GM vehicles have this plug? I'll see if the B-body guys know anything about the plug on my SS and report back. Maybe it's just a plug for a future accessory like a flux capacitor!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe a flash back to the Tucker and a directional/steering center headlamp 8)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

HenryJ wrote:Maybe a flash back to the Tucker and a directional/steering center headlamp 8)

:rock: Tuckers, hell yea.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

According to the guys over on the Impala forum, the mystery plug is for a temp sensor on vehicles equipped with automatic climate control. That would make sense since the plug is located at front center of the vehicle where most air temp sensors are located. The Impala SS was never offered with a climate control system, but since it shares the same wiring harness as some Buick's and Cadillac's the plug is just unused. I know some S-series like the Bravada had climate control as an option, so I wonder if that's all the plug is for?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I suppose, but kinda doubt it. I looked into adding the auto climate control since our HVAC already has the slave cylinders for it. The interior sensor has a little fan and I installed that with the trip computer harness install. The rest of the harness runs from the BCM to the auto control module. The exterior temperature sensor used is the same one for the trip computer. I grabbed all I needed to install it from a Bravada, but never did the swap :)
I did the upper harness and sensor for the auto dimming mirror, dual lighted visors and trip computer. The BCM I installed for the tow mode. All I really had left was the lower dash harness and auto control module.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I suppose, but kinda doubt it.
I really don't know what it's for, but thinking logically, it does make sense that it could be for a temp sensor since most GM air temp sensors are in the grill area, but then again a forward mounted light sensor could be in the same area. How many different S-series had the climate control option and what are the differences in the harnesses between years? I'm sure there is a good wiring diagram in a factory shop manual (not Chilton, Haynes or anything like that) that would explain the plug, right? My other GM shop manuals have great wiring diagrams.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I actually looked pretty hard at one time and never found that connector identified. My manuals are now in the hands of another member, so it will be up to the "next guy" to dig into this mystery 8)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

In my weekend of working Ill see if I can find the moment to look it up. It has my curiosity, esp because I am almost certain my truck does not have this connector on it.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Andresawan5251

Post by Andresawan5251 »

ApproachMedium wrote:Europe always gets the nicer stuff. Amber turn signals! Boy I wish I had the option for separate turn signal lines. I like the fender flares too.
Yah....really it is true...fender flares are too good. I like fender flares. I wish we must get the separate signal lines.
Led lights
rankSDIME

Re: Unknown plug in connector behind front Grill

Post by rankSDIME »

all zr5 have them they are for a optional electric fan for the condenser. useless pretty much and i have a after market secondary tranny cooler there anyways lol. stupid 4l60e has problems with heat so i added another tranny cooler to the stock were the fan should be. which btw there is another connecter just like it on the driver side but that is for the pump yall are talking about.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rankSDIME wrote:all zr5 have them they are for a optional electric fan for the condenser...
"BUZZER" , Sorry wrong answer. None of the S-series received and auxiliary electric cooling fan. :)
That was a full size option with the towing package on some models.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

According to the service manual schematics this was also another temperature sensor. Its plug does not fit on the temp sensor on my grille though
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ