Bigger alternator

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am still happy with mine!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did not have much luck getting the low end grunt out of the CS130D based alternator.
The AD244 is still intermittently flickering the battery light. I haven't figured that one out yet.
I think Reed has been doing good with his CS144 based alternator. I hope to get a chance to try my CS144 alternator again someday. It is still waiting on a suitable regulator.

I do not have a great answer yet, sorry.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Thanks guys. Any idea on the MSD pulley moving the belt out a bit... it doesn't really look like a big deal, but i'd rather not shred the new belt.

I have an email into Powermaster to see if their 48321 will work with the March pulleys. Anyone know of a CS144 that's fit our trucks that's available on the 'net?
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jigg wrote:I have an email into Powermaster to see if their 48321 will work with the March pulleys. Anyone know of a CS144 that's fit our trucks that's available on the 'net?
Powermaster has a few 144's that will fit S10's. :D

They are a bit pricey, but IMO they make the best alternators out there. :wink:

I have run a few of their alternators in the past and none of them ever let me down.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The AD244 from NAPA is not the best thing out there. That flickering light from time to time turned out to be a cheap regulator. I bought a good one thinking that they had a 14.2 volt regulator in there. The stock CS130D runs a 14.7 volt regulator. I thought that flicker could have been because of the difference. The new regulator I installed is a Transpo D200 and runs 14.8 volts. A better match for the PCM. The one in the NAPA AD244 alternator turned out to be a D200 as well , but of an obviously cheaper build. With the new regulator I picked up nearly .5 volt and the light flicker is gone. This one hold steady , whereas the cheap one moved around quite a bit.

Upon disassembly, it was apparent the whole alternator was built , not from AC Delco (the AD in the part number) , but instead an aftermarket copy of the AD alternator. NAPA is right it is new, but of a lesser quality than an AC Delco part. I would not invest in one agian, but look to an AC Delco alternator from AC Delco.

I think these will work pretty darn good and run cooler than the CS144. They have some good low end power for a 130 amp out of the box alternator. This is the replacement for the CS144 alternator and I think it is a good step forward.

I do want to continue testing the CS144 once it gets assembled with some good parts. All the parts have been gathered. It should be a good comparison.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

I've been considering going to an Efan setup,and drifted on to the Alternator upgrade. It seems to me the two are a 'MUST DO' together. In reading about the Alt. upgrade, I remember a High Amp Alt. available in the LMS Truck catalog. It says they are direct replacement with excellent idle performance, hand wound, custom designed stators, GOLD plated battery post; and "Proof of Performance" tag. They come in 105 AMP-Chrome 98-02 319.95, 150 AMP -plain 319.95 ,and 150 AMP- Chrome 399.95. Must be some real snazy chrome, any way, your opinion ?? :?: :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Chrome holds heat. $1 per amp is the target cost. You can buy a new AC Delco AD244 140 amp alternator locally for $250 This is a bolt in direct swap.
The custom built CS144 alternators are going for under $300 and the adapter pigtail is not that expensive.
I think there are better deals.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Today I ran the CS144 back to back against the AD244.

The AD244 wins.

The AD244 holds a better load at idle speeds. Runs cooler. Direct bolt in with no adapters or pulley changes. Over the counter replaceable.

I will admit that I did not have the smaller pulley on the CS144 when I got it back. I do need to drop to the 52 mm pulley from the 54mm pulley I ran on it this time. The AD244 did have a slight advantage as it had a 52 mm pulley stock.
Still my gut says the AD244 works better all around.
I really wanted that brute of a CS144 to work. It bench tested with huge amperage capability. It has all the good parts now.
I just think the AD244 is the next generation of this alternator. It has been working fine since the regulator replacement.

If I had to buy one knowing what I know now. I would seek a new genuine AC Delco AD244.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Good info! My CS144 is doing well for me and seems to be running the LS1 e-fans well. I haven't solved my overheating problem that I had during the Hot Springs meet but, I can't duplicate the conditions that created it in October either. I am pretty much done with any more serious modifications on the CC until 2009. That is when my warranty is up and I can do some serious modifying. :wink:
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I went back to my stock alternator... works great :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Stock alternator with fans running I think you will find a voltage drop with the AC on. That means slower fan speeds and eventually heating problems. Don't even think the stock will be capable of supporting the use of a winch.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Does the AD244 have the same mounting holes as a CS144? :?

In other words do you think it could be a direct swap for a CS144?

Just looking for more options on my SS when the CS144 dies again, which I'm sure it will again some day. :roll:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

From everything I have seen it is the successor to the CS144.
I had not been considering a swap the other direction. I would likely work. There are only a couple choices for regulators. We would need to research the needs of your SS.
Right now the supply is limited. I do see them starting to show up in the yards soon though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

HenryJ wrote:Stock alternator with fans running I think you will find a voltage drop with the AC on. That means slower fan speeds and eventually heating problems. Don't even think the stock will be capable of supporting the use of a winch.
I only have one 10" efan for my transmission cooler, i'm running the clutch fan for the engine.

But yeah, the winch is another story...
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

If you were exchanging the stock CS-130D alternator with the CS-144 single or dual rectifier 140amp alternator, when you call the parts house...what vehicle would you tell them you needed the CS-144 for? (since they won't have record of this one fitting an S10 4.3L engine.)

I was hoping to get one locally.

And, what's the advantage of getting a dual rectifier versus a single rectifier?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would not be buying a CS144 anymore. The AD244 is the way to go, IMO. It is the next step in evolution for the old CS144. It has several improvements going for it related to cooling and strength. It already has the smaller pulley and needs no adapter to plug in. It is a direct plug-n-play bolt in installation.

Dual vs single rectifier spreads the load over more diodes and reduces heat.
Quick Start wrote:Alternators produce AC current, just like the current from your house wall outlet. Then it uses a bridge rectifier, typically with 6 diodes, to convert the AC current to DC for the battery and vehicles electrical system. With Dual Rectifiers, you get 12 Diodes, which spreads the current load over a much larger area making the alternator twice as durable and twice as efficient at converting the AC current it makes to DC. The many benefits include: less heat build up, less current loss, higher amperage output when hot, more power at idle. Plus, the service duty and life increases substantially. When the rectifier heats up the diodes won't pass as much amperage through them, therefore, the amperage output drops. With our double rectifier alternator you have twice the amperage carrying capacity and double the cooling surface area to keep the diodes cool.
There were two diodes used commonly in the CS144 50 amp and 70 amp. The 70 amp diodes are desirable.

Dual rectifiers are not really an option for our trucks. The alternator sits right in front of the cylinder head and I really don't think there is sufficient clearance to mount a second rectifier.

Knowing what I know now. I would buy a genuine AC Delco AD244 140 amp alternator. For an application I used a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3L and high output alternator.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

HenryJ wrote:I would buy a genuine AC Delco AD244 140 amp alternator. For an application I used a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3L and high output alternator.
So this one is a direct bolt on that would fit all '96 and up S10 4.3L engines? Do you have to clock it at all?

That's what I was hoping to do is get an AC Delco alternator. I should be able to get that brand new with lifetime warranty from AutoZone.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote: It is a direct plug-n-play bolt in installation.
New and lifetime guarantee is not the best choice! That lifetime guarantee usually means the parts are cheap and they can afford to give you as many as it takes to work, while still making a profit. Their cost is usually less than 25% of what you pay. they still break even after your fourth replacement. In the mean time your battery is destroyed and you have fought with them over the replacements each time as they blame you , or it tests just fine on their machine.
HenryJ wrote:The AD244 from NAPA is not the best thing out there...That flickering light from time to time turned out to be a cheap regulator.
Upon disassembly, it was apparent the whole alternator was built , not from AC Delco (the AD in the part number) , but instead an aftermarket copy of the AD alternator. NAPA is right it is new, but of a lesser quality than an AC Delco part. I would not invest in one agian, but look to an AC Delco alternator from AC Delco.
Spend a little extra and buy a genuine AC Delco unit in an AC Delco box.
If you save a few dollars on a questionable "Lifetime" Autozone alternator, get good at replacing it.
Read this thread thoroughly. Don't break the ear on the engine mounting bracket. Every time you install you risk this..

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I've heard some of the cheap auto parts store do sell new genuine GM parts and offer a lifetime replacement warranty.

Since I was going to buy the AC Delco part anyway, I figure I'll buy it from someone offering a lifetime warranty. I don't think the dealer whould offer this type of warranty, would they?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:I've heard some of the cheap auto parts store do sell new genuine GM parts and offer a lifetime replacement warranty.
Some of the good parts stores sell "Genuine AC Delco REPLACEMENT parts" That doesn't make them Genuine AC Delco. That comes in an AC Delco box.
Since I was going to buy the AC Delco part anyway, I figure I'll buy it from someone offering a lifetime warranty. I don't think the dealer would offer this type of warranty, would they?
No likely, in either case. The lifetime warranted alternator is not likely to be AC Delco parts and the AC Delco will not likely offer a lifetime guarantee.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

HenryJ wrote:The lifetime warranted alternator is not likely to be AC Delco parts and the AC Delco will not likely offer a lifetime guarantee.
I'd think someone like AutoZone would be big enough to get a contract to buy directly from AC Delco so they could sell genuine parts.

I'll check it out before I get one to make sure it's not an off brand.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rockrz wrote:I'd think someone like AutoZone would be big enough to get a contract to buy directly from AC Delco so they could sell genuine parts.
It is not the size that makes the difference. It is the profit margin.
Around here one of the smallest Autoparts stores sells AC Delco parts and the dealer. Those are your two choices.

Autozone online lists Duralast alternators. 100% new $231.99
Five dollars less for a reman and thirty five dollars less for the budget line of reman.
I would not be interested in any of them. For the same price and even $1 less I can buy new AC Delco.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule, I checked RockAuto.com for an alternator for the 5.3L 'Burb and from what I can see, you got a deal. They listed them from $340 to $401 and yes, they are "AC Delco" alternators. Their part number for the $400 one is ACDELCO Part # 15755900 {130:AMPS}. Don't know if, this adds confusion or not.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My check was locally. I could have bought the AC Delco alternator for $40 more than I paid for the NAPA new unit. By the time I invested another $40 in a good regulator, I could have had that one. :roll: , Live and learn.

I will admit that I have not checked prices since I bought mine. I might even consider an ACDelco reman on a budget. Another option would be used. Buy it , have new brushes and bearings installed.

Taking a chance on a "Lifetime" alternator is a personal choice. At least you are going in "eyes wide open". Heck, I am running one now :lol: I did have to fork out $40 for a good regulator, but it has been good ever since.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

What did you find them for? Here is a price from GMPartsDirect.com MSRP is $537.73 and they sell it for $279.61.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

$225 through Blankenship's Autoparts
I would shop around.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bgs
Regular
Regular

Post by bgs »

I went to AC/Delco's site and for giggles I looked up
one for a GMC with a 4.3..It looks like the AD 244
was used on these as well.

My question is, just which one would fit and why doesn't
AC offer new ones ? Strange don't you think ?.

I want to update my alt on my old 92 Sonoma with
one of these, but it would be helpful if I got the
right one starting off. The Deka battery is working
great. No complaints there..Anyway >
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

f9k9 wrote:Brule, I checked RockAuto.com for an alternator for the 5.3L 'Burb and from what I can see, you got a deal. They listed them from $340 to $401 and yes, they are "AC Delco" alternators. Their part number for the $400 one is ACDELCO Part # 15755900 {130:AMPS}. Don't know if, this adds confusion or not.
Anybody got the part number for the 140 amp alt?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The part number you quoted should be accurate. The rating description seems to vary from 130 to 140 amps. You want the high output alternator. What they rate it at is up to them. RPM, temperature, load, etc affect the output.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Great. Now all I need to to is find a parts house that sells this in Genuine AC Delco along with a lifetime warranty and we'll be all set.

Any idea if any of the mainstream parts stores sell this in Genuine AC Delco?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think you will find a lifetime warranty on a new AC Delco alternator.
HenryJ wrote:
Rockrz wrote:I've heard some of the cheap auto parts store do sell new genuine GM parts and offer a lifetime replacement warranty.
Some of the good parts stores sell "Genuine AC Delco REPLACEMENT parts" That doesn't make them Genuine AC Delco. That comes in an AC Delco box.
Since I was going to buy the AC Delco part anyway, I figure I'll buy it from someone offering a lifetime warranty. I don't think the dealer would offer this type of warranty, would they?
Not likely, in either case. The lifetime warranted alternator is not likely to be AC Delco parts and the AC Delco will not likely offer a lifetime guarantee.
HenryJ wrote:... lifetime guarantee is not the best choice! That lifetime guarantee usually means the parts are cheap and they can afford to give you as many as it takes to work, while still making a profit.
I feel like I am repeating myself here ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I understand what you were saying about some parts store offering "replacement" alts that aren't actually AC Delco parts.

I get it. Therefore, I'm looking for the Genuine AC Delco part.
(no need to re-hash the fact that some parts stores will try to scam folks into believing they are getting real AC Delco when they are getting cheap crap)

I've heard of AC Delco being offered under a lifetime warranty...which obvously isn't a warranty backed by AC Delco (or GM), but by the parts store which they can do if they decide to.

All I'm saying is it's worth looking into because if I can find some parts store chain will offer lifetime replacement warranty on GENUINE AC Delco parts, then I'll buy it and keep my receipt.

I'm planning on keeping my truck long term so it would be nice to only pay for an alt once over all the years I'm going to be owning the truck.

I do know and understand the difference between actual Geniune AC Delco parts, and those that are replacement parts.

However, I don't agree that any major parts store is going to put cheap crap into a AC Delco box and sell it...if they got caught doing that, the lawyers representing AC Delco would come calling...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would say you are safe if it comes with an AC Delco label on the box. New or reman , it should be better than the "new" replacement I bought.
I was told new AC Delco does not have a Lifetime warranty.
I would buy new with out a lifetime warranty next time.

You must weigh what it is worth to you. I bought less expensive and after installing a quality regulator, it works great. You may want to try the Duralast. If you are comfortable with swapping them out, and know to watch for problems, you mat do just fine. Heck , I might even go that way again. I would have to weigh the cost vs benefit.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

I'm currently running Duralast on my truck (that I'm fixing to replace with a '02 or '03 model) and have been for about 4 years. I've only had to swap it once so it's been pretty good.

Still, I'd rather have a real AC Delco alt on my new truck because the idea is to tweak it and get it exactly how I like cause it's probably going to be the last ride I buy....that runs on gas (I figure in a a few years they're going to tax the heck out of vehicles that use gas to discourage their use)

Anyway, I know AC Delco does not offer any type of lifetime warranty. BUT, a parts supplier could if they wanted to. I could see them charging more to offer this, plus offering this would potentially get some people to come buy...and while they are there they will buy other items.

I heard from someone a couple of years ago that some parts store chain was offering a lifetime warranty on geniune AC Delco alts and starters...but I don't remember who it was or if it was even one of the nationwide chains. I figure it never hurts to ask around.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It might have been reman units. AC Delco reman do offer warranties.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

You know, that's odd....seems like the best warranty would be on the brand new product, not the reman.

Course, they're probably all made in china by child labor anymore so AC Delco can keep their costs as low as possible in order to make the most profit.
bgs
Regular
Regular

Post by bgs »

I went to www.gmpartsdirect.com and all they offered were
remans. At least last time I looked. I don't know about this
one but the price being what it is....

This was all they had listed there. No part num, etc..
Qty MSRP Price Your Price Total Cost
Mechanical Catalog - 1999 - GMC - 1500 pickup (New Style)
Alternator, Alternator, all models, 140 amp $317.04 $164.86 $164.86
I did find this..Maybe the part numbers at the bottom might
help some here..

http://alternators.net/details.asp?tabl ... s&id=59469
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is helpful, Thank you! That price is good too.
Description: Alternator
Supplier: J&N
OEM(s): Delco
Alternator Family: Delco AD244
Voltage: 12 Volts
Amps: 145 Amps
Regulator Position: 12:00
Polarity: Negative
Output Stud Dimensions: M6-1.0
New or Remanufactured: New
Approximate Weight: 16.45 lbs / 7.48 kg
Notes:
6 Groove Clutch Pulley
Application:
2006-On Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra Applications
Reference Numbers:
Lester 8489
Wilson 90-01-4449
Delco 15845337, 15845338

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bgs
Regular
Regular

Post by bgs »

Henry, I got that price from gm parts direct. It MUST
be for the reman. I don't have a clue as to how much
J&N would charge for one of the new ones they offer
or if they are even for the public. BUT it is nice they
offer a new one..
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Looking at napa or autozone for that high output alternator the 244, an 02 suburban would work fine? What belt size would I then need?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:Looking at napa or autozone for that high output alternator the 244, an 02 suburban would work fine? What belt size would I then need?
The high output Delco alternator will work fine. That application should find one.
HenryJ wrote:The belt I used is longer than stock. AC Delco part # 6K960 (96" six groove belt)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Thanks I had a hard time sifting through and got sorta lost with all the confusion of parts...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Understandable :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

On another note looking at napaonline, looks like the silverado with the 4.3 could also have come with the high output alternator. I take it our trucks were the only 4.3s without that option?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds about right.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Times are getting better. The five years wait is over for those wanting to pick up the high output alternators. They are now showing up in the salvage yards.
I picked up a Delphi AD244 130A alternator at the salvage yard for $50. It was off of a 2002 Suburban 1500 with a flex fuel 5.3L engine.
It uses the same 56mm pulley that the stock CS130D has, so I swapped that for a 52mm that I had laying around.
This makes it a match for the alternator I am currently using.
For those considering one, this is the least expensive way to go. You get a quality alternator worth rebuilding if needed. It is a bargain. I paid less than the core charge if I were to purchase a reman alternator. At most I would have less than $100 invested in having it rebuilt completely when the time comes. That puts me where I wanted to be when this all began. A simple alternator swap and $1 per amp.

EDIT: I got a chance to bench test it. Cold 200 amps easy. Didn't even squeal the belt :thumb:
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

I suspose many of you have seen this on ebay. Looks stout, huge amps, and I'm thinkin it will fit .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=006

Oh yeah---huge bucks too.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

HJ, when doing a swap to the larger alternator (AD 244) did you HAVE to change pulleys to the smaller one or could you leave it the same size as our stock alt pulley? I just want to check and see if the AD244 would be compatible with the march pulleys. If it is able to run with the same pulley as our stock alt. I don't see how it would be an issue using the march pulley set as I retain the same voltage, if anything slightly better using the march pulleys.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:when doing a swap to the larger alternator (AD 244) did you HAVE to change pulleys to the smaller one or could you leave it the same size as our stock alt pulley?
You could leave it the stock 56mm size. The NAPA alternator I bought came with the smaller pulley. The Salvage yard alternator had 56 mm.
I just want to check and see if the AD244 would be compatible with the march pulleys. If it is able to run with the same pulley as our stock alt. I don't see how it would be an issue using the march pulley set as I retain the same voltage, if anything slightly better using the march pulleys.
It may or may not work. A little more speed is a help, but not as critical with the AD244.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

You know, I hate to admit it but I've had excellent results with AutoZone brand new alternators (not reman) that come with the lifetime warranty.

Isn't it possible that these are actually made with quality parts these days?

Last edited by Rockrz on Fri May 02, 2008 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Hmm... Have you tried to run the AD244 with the larger 56mm pulley? I'm thinking if it charged well with that on a stock pulley truck than it would work with the march.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:Hmm... Have you tried to run the AD244 with the larger 56mm pulley? I'm thinking if it charged well with that on a stock pulley truck than it would work with the march.
I did for a very short time after the new regulator install. Dennis put a 56 mm pulley on by mistake. I soon went back to the smaller pulley, but didn't notice the huge difference as in the CS144 and CS130D alternators.

I wouldn't bank on it though.

I am not a "fan" of under drive pulleys, so you will have to do your own experiments.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Haha yeah I figured you didn't like them that much. I just wanted to see if the new alternator would be worth it.
Thank you!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Took the NAPA alternator in for warranty replacement today. During my radiator install I checked it and found a bearing going bad.
I pulled my good regulator and put their cheap defective one back in before I took it in. The new alternator has an improved regulator. The stator is different. Looks better. More in line with the AC Delco alternator. It had a 56 mm pulley, so I swapped for my 54mm pulley.
I am currently running the $50 junk yard alternator. It works great. Wish I had done that in the first place. I would be $138 richer.

Live'n'learn. Reed is not the only one who drowns ducks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

From the info on page 2, it appears that the AD244 "sense" wire comes from the PCM and that this would apply to all 2001 and up vehicles. Can the AD244 be used on 1996-2000 vehicles? Does it require a special plug to fit the AD244?

Sorry if I am asking something that has been answered already, but I couldn't find it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yogi wrote:From the info on page 2, it appears that the AD244 "sense" wire comes from the PCM and that this would apply to all 2001 and up vehicles. Can the AD244 be used on 1996-2000 vehicles? Does it require a special plug to fit the AD244?
The remote sense wire is not used in most applications. It is the larger gauge connection on one end. Most use only the light wire. Some use the I/F and this does go to the PCM. As best I can tell this is so the PCM can influence the regulator. I am not sure as to exactly what it is doing.

I can not say for sure what years will work. If it had a CS130 series alternator chances are good it will work. Keep in mind that there are many different regulators out there.
Sure worth a try though. If you do some research you should be able to compare specifications for voltage, delay, connections , etc. That would give you a good idea.
My bet is that it will likely work.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Looks like the pcm can turn the alternator off in special situations, like WOT: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/alte ... re-355958/
The guy that posted this info is a BMW tech and seems to know his stuff.

I don't know if this wire from the PCM is present in the pre 2001 trucks.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I picked up the AD244 sooner than I wanted. My alternator died when I got in my truck at about 5pm on a Sunday. The only thing open here around then is Autozone so I picked up a reman AD244 and belt for it to fit my March Pulleys. 93" belt, reman'd alt all for $220, not too bad on short notice too. I was going to shop around and all but its still an ACDelco unit and lifetime warranty so I guess it'll work for a Sunday find!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

And to add to my post from last night, the underdrive pulleys work fine with the AD244. Not ideal I'm sure but it does turn at stock speeds and keeps higher voltage under stress better than the stock alt did.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

A quick update, the AD244 is compatible with the March underdrive pulleys as long as you have the one to speed up the alt back to stock. I have had no issues with charging. I know I had seen a thread on zr2usa about underdrive pulleys and Ad244 saying they would not work together, well here is proof that they do.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:The belt I used is longer than stock. AC Delco part # 6K960 (96" six groove belt)
I decided to try a Gatorback belt today. Purchased at Autozone part number 4060960 $29.69 and fits perfectly.

We will see if I can chirp this one ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have not heard a peep from either of the two gatorbacks that I have used. Decently priced as well I feel.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

HenryJ, I don't have an account over at Zr2USA I just read some threads for educational purposes, but they are having some questions with the march pulleys working with the Ad244. I just wanted to mention that I have this setup and it does work for me. I have adequate charging, same as without the march pulleys.

Lights on, hot, driving normal conditions radio etc. I am at 13.8 amps.

The pulley on the alt is difficult to get on because the nut is tight against it but it will work and is possible with a socket that is not very thick. Autozone carries one that fits.

Here is the link. I just wanted to try and help them out if you felt like posting my successes on their thread or anyone else with an account for that matter. But I know you aren't a fan of underdrive pulleys.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It's been a while since I replaced the alternator, now the battery light intermittently comes on. Voltage doesn't even flinch when it does. Any thoughts?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Try adding the sense wire and see if your problem is resolved. If that does not change the problem, then replace the regulator.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Ahead of you on that one. Added the sense wire, on the second regulator as it is now.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How many fins on the regulator? The make and model number would also be helpful. New does not mean good.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yes it most likely is a cheap regulator. I don't know the model as I did not replace it, it was under warranty. Perhaps I should order and replace my own, where might a quality regulator be had? Will it be an issue if the battery light intermittently flickers or just an annoyance?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Unfortunately the flickering battery light in conjunction with the pesky interference from the PCM may lead to problems. Mine would get way too hot when it was doing that. It may be another internal problem too.

I don't know what to tell you on where to buy a good quality regulator. The company that made a good one for mine now buys from China. NAPA brags about the high quality regulators and when I saw my brand I thought WOW. That was until I checked further and found the low quality stuff. The best you can do is use the advise of your local rebuilder. Then look at it and see of it has lots of thin fins. This dissipates the heat better than a few thick ones.

Things change so quickly in this field, I do not have a good recommendation on where to find a quality D200 regulator.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

So this may cause premature failure of the regulator due to overheating? Or PCM problems as well? There aren't any local alternator shops to take advantage of. The new trend is taking the whole alternator out and replacing it. I have a lifetime warranty but I might get sick of replacing it eventually.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Another alternator replaced. This time, I was given an all new one from their supplier not a reman unit. It is also the 145amp version designed after the acdelco unit. I'm sure the parts inside are different but same case. It keeps a solid 13.8v with +/- .1v which is very acceptable. We will see how this holds up. Lifetime warranty and on to the best model they sell for no extra cost!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

CS130D High outpu 200 amp

Post by williamcstonejr »

I thought I found something new then when I re-read the "OLD TESTAMENT" for the second time I realized HJ had actually found these guys, made a slight mention then it seemed to slip away in the clutter of building a Frankenstein :lol: Anyway after reading everything here I just decided to go with a CS130D High Output. It comes with a one year no hassle warranty and is supposed to run at 105 amp at idle and 200 at 1200 rpm's. I just made my purchase so I will see what happens. $219.00 and $15.00 shipping. Figured somebody might want to know there is another reasonable option out there if it works out. Best part for me is I can go to my local rebuilder whom I know well and get a new regulator for the stock unit and have a spare alternator sitting on the shelf ready to go. I included my receipt so if anyone wants to go this route they will have the numbers they need readily available.

Your purchase information appears below.
-----------------------------------------

Your purchase reads as follows:

DB Electrical Starter-Alternator Item #13238238 BLAZER/S-10 4.3L HIGH OUTPUT 200 AMP ALTERNATOR 01 02 03 8283
Price: $219.00
Quantity: 1
Inventory SKU: 8283-200 AMP-BLAZER/S-10 4.3 2001-2004
Date: 2/10/2009 11:10:09 PM
Subtotal: $219.00
Shipping & Handling: $15.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
-----------------------------------
Purchase Total: $234.00

DB Electric CS130D High output 200 amp Alternator
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry if i don't really see that as a good option. The CS130D is just not a good place to start. I wish you the best, but there are some real problems with the CS130D alternators. Not all of them , but some of them use a plastic bushing to support the back bearing. I have had three of those fail thus far in the fleet. The case is small and trying to build those numbers from this little alternator is going to develop more heat. Not a good thing. I did try a 200 amp CS130D as chronicled above. It just did not build low rpm power. I wish you the best, as I said, but it is not a bargain.

$1 per amp is not a bad buy, but it in no way compares to $.025 per amp which is currently the best buy for a much better alternator.
The $50 salvage yard AD244 is the way to go, hands down. A close second is a new or rebuilt AC Delco AD244. These run from $140-$220. That is close to the price you paid, but twice the alternator of the CS130D.

It will be interesting to see how the CS130D works for you.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Brule got to me for the better I am sure

Post by williamcstonejr »

Henry J wrote:I wish you the best,
played through my head that night so I got out of bed and shot them off a email, this was the response.

William,
I caught your order before it went out; you will be receiving the 200 amp AD244 unit instead. Don’t worry about the price difference we have been meaning to make that note on the page for the smaller unit. It would help the buyer make the right decision for them considering this is becoming a common upgrade for the S-10 owners. You just gave us the push to make it happen.
Your order 2324426 has shipped and the tracking information is below. Thank you for your business!
Will ship on 2/13/2009 using USPS Priority mail
Sincerely,
DB Electrical Starters-Alternators

Thanks Brule I am sure your comment saved me time money and frustration down the road. I still purchased the AD244 200 amp from them like he told me for my HHO projects the stock 244 may work just fine but I may end up running it taxed out for long periods and that wont be good for the alternator. The 200 amp version would be like having two 300+ linemen pulling a cart, one loaded with 3 people and one fully loaded or maxed out with people. Both will pull the load and pull them far but one will give up before the other and his money is on the one with the full load.
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]