Skid plate applications

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Skid plate applications

Post by turkeestalker »

I've seen in a few posts that many Blazers and non-CC S10's came with steel or aluminum skid plates standard. Seems they differ slightly from model to model and maybe year to year. Can anyone point me to a thread that actually runs down the years, models, etc. that would adapt, as close to a factory fit as possible, to an '04 CC, and what parts would be needed for mounting in addition to the plates themselves. Or does anyone have something like this they could post in this topic? I need specifics, and am having some trouble finding them, remember this is the 'turkee'.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Basic Info, found under your nose but, is easy to miss

Those kits are long gone.

Aluminum shields were available until '98 or '97 on new rigs. My '97 ZR2 had them but, hopefully Brule will answer the question again. I do know that every 2nd generation S/T series shield fits except, the front one, that has the access door and nothing was ever made for our fuel tanks. Others can be modified for the fuel tank but, otherwise there are no "plug and play" ones.

A ZR2 or Highrider's front shield will not work with our CCs.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Actually I think the fuel tank shield is still available on GM Parts direct? But I could be mistaken. The rest of the shields are HARD to come by. I happened to find someone on here to buy them off of but start searching junkyards...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Thank you f9k9, and green, I had read that some time back. What I was hoping I guess was that there are specific years of specific vehicles to search for in a salvage yard to try and obtain plates that will work. I'm a 'cheap skate', and would prefer finding them used for say 5 to 25 bucks a piece, as one thread suggested, rather than pay a dealer for them. I see the $$ signs and start sweating! I see now that there are specifics in that particular post, of what perhaps I should be looking for.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Perfect, thank you all. :D
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

They are no longer available from a dealer. The last used set for a ZR2 that I saw was for well over $100 on Ebay. As for applications, any second gen will work except the front on a ZR2. Aluminum was offered new on '94-'97 or '98. Brule has provided info on the older skids that will work.

Unless you are patient and keep your eyes peeled for one rusting away somewhere or a salvage yard, that has not discovered the internet then, I would begin to lower the bar and hope for finding composite ones.

Hopefully Brule has other suggestions.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Good logic and much appreciated. A woman that I've been seeing is about to trade a '98 Blazer in on a Buick, not what I'd deem a pretty good trade. Maybe I should talk her into letting me swipe hers before she trades it in!

:nono:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Be creative and keep looking EVERYWHERE. I was patient and found mine on e-bay and some from members here on the forum. Patience will out. Thank goodness as my 01 only came with the front composite shield and it didn't take me long to wreck it!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Your stock front shield was plastic, not composite. All the production crew cabs came with the plastic steering shield. The composite shields are different and hold up remarkably well to all but abrasion.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Your stock front shield was plastic............
The composite ones had a little meat to them and work well. If, you are worried about replacing the oem shield that you broke then shipping shouldn't be to bad for 6-8 ounces. I'd part with mine for actual shipping costs but, that might add up since it has been sitting under my storage building for several yrs. and has collected crud.

Just j/k with you. We had a very good member called Top_Sgt that made the same assumption. The composites are around .5" thick and that is just a guess.

Be patient :wink:
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

I've got lots to address prior to shields, as you know, so I've lots of time. Thank you all.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am just glad you changed your avatar before all the left wing soccer moms got onto to all the blood letting hunting was about :wink:
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:Your stock front shield was plastic, not composite. All the production crew cabs came with the plastic steering shield. The composite shields are different and hold up remarkably well to all but abrasion.
I know I'm glad I've got the aluminum ones now. Most of my damages come from road rocks and frozen clods and ruts. I wouldn't trust composite any more than plastic. Not doubting you Brule JMO.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I think you are still misunderstanding here. What came on the CCs are really not shields at all. Maybe splash guards or things to assist with airflow but, not shields. The term is misleading. The composite shields are thick and will protect. The stock piece of plastic was probably only for cooling. We are talking probably 1/16" of simple plastic versus something over 1/2" thick
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Hmmm...since my big 'D'....sorta been doing a little 'soccer mom' hunting, so to speak....a couple haven't seemed to mind. Of course without the blood letting. :wink:

I don't think I'd mind the composite. Of course I won't be wheeling crazy either. Aluminum might in fact be stronger in some instances, but for any application that may arise for me, I'm certain that the composites are plenty strong enough. Maybe more so depending upon the circumstances. I would think that they would give and retain unlike aluminum, to some extent.
Thanks again guys. :D
Last edited by turkeestalker on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

No, I understan perfectly. Mine was approximately 1/8" thick. I understand the composites are thicker. I just like the aluminum better. As I said to Brule J(ust)M(y)O(pinion).
I did find a good use for the old shield though. I'm making washers out of it for the bolts to install the aluminum shields. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tighten the mounting bolts enough with these washers in place but resolved to use blue thread locker to avoid vibrational loosening. :)
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

Like turk :roll: , I am new to the CC world and have not read every word on the site yet, but I'm trying. I too am on the hunt for some aluminum skidplates and now know what to look for because of this post. :clap:

Like someone mentioned somewhere, a good source for some plates might be when someone gets ready to sell or trade their truck off. Odds are the new owner/dealer wouldn't even miss the plates and they would really be appreciated by many of us here on the site.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Your best bet is to get friendly with your local auto recyclers. I have fixed up members here with six sets over the years. Now that it seems there are a couple more interested, I will try to keep an eye to that stuff again.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Thank you HJ, much appreciated. I've not taken any action yet, but I will soon to see what I can find in my area. There doesn't seem to be many active members near me. If I am fortunate enough to uncover more than I myself can use, I will secure them and post, keeping my fellow members in mind.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Take a pair of 18mm end wrenches with you so that you can recover the differential plate mounting brackets. Those can be hard to find and rarely are removed. Scrounge the back for the needed bolts. The mushroom headed torx bolts are another hard to find item.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Well this afternoon I stopped at a smaller local yard and searched, no luck. Came home and phoned 3 others. Two said they were sure they had them, but it was too messy and muddy with the recent weather to even look to verify! (Man us midwesterners are real 'nancy boys') I'll keep you posted and make any extras available.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

turkeestalker wrote: Two said they were sure they had them, but it was too messy and muddy with the recent weather to even look to verify! (Man us midwesterners are real 'nancy boys')
Hey! Speak for your self! I ain't afraid of a lil mud. But then that's easy for me to say since it's been so dry here all winter. :lol:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I get enough mud at work. Don't need to carry in any more than I have to.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Me too when it rains out here. I have to drive around in it for 3-4 hrs daily. :(
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I was recently at a yard that had them! Transfercase shield was in the back seat of a blazer, other two shields most likely still on it, about 1ft of snow around it so no luck getting the ones underneath.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Jackpot! :bounce:
I had the chance today to check the yard with the 'nancy boy' that didn't want to get his feet muddy, who said he thought they had them, on my way home from work. Unfortunately they only had one set, (front steering and transfer case, no engine shield), out of about 40 S10 and Blazer carcasses. I looked myself, (and got mud up to my.....nm), trust me. They are aluminum, the fella wanted $70 for the pair, but I got them for $50 cash. :thumb:
With good success on only my second outing I am optimistic that I will find more for others that are interested. Just keep watching this thread, I will post if and when I do.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Went to a yard called Scratchy's this afternoon, bought a 12 bolt rear end from him years ago for the price of a 10 bolt. Half ton GMC that it locked at a bout 75 on a bridge over the Missouri river. Damned glad that all that really happened was the bell housing snapped pan to pan, really could have been ugly. He sold me a non tagged rear end that was not the ratio he promised. Put it in just to take it out again, and put him on the hot seat to come up with the right one. Got the 12 bolt posi for the price I paid for the 10. I didn't mind near as much as he did. Glad he didn't remember me, he was NOT happy at the time.
He wouldn't let me look on my own, so I told him what I was looking for and that I'd like a count and price then I would let him know how many I wanted. I'm optimistic that he will at least have a few of the aluminum fronts and transfer case shields, based on what he said. Not likely to see any hardware though. I'll keep you posted.
Jim
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Update
Tried to phone the fella at Scratchy's yesterday, he was not in and had been at the auto auction boh Thursday and Friday, so I will try to contact him on Monday to see what he's come up with. I did visit a pick and pull type yard this morning, and picked up an aluminum front cover, a little scuffed and missing the screw type holder for the oil filter cover. All of the other pieces are there, and I think that the one from our plastic covers is identical so could be swapped out. $5 is all it cost me, so I will sit on it if anyone finds themselves in need of one. there was one of the older style engine shields with the square hole instead of the notch in the back but I left it, and an older transfer case cover on a 1st gen. blazer, that looked similar to ours and would probably work fine. due to the slight differences I left it as well, but could make a trip back if anyone wishes. I am more interested in waiting for the right ones, which I know will turn up.
Just keeping you posted.
Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

turkeestalker wrote:...picked up an aluminum front cover, a little scuffed and missing the screw type holder for the oil filter cover. ... I think that the one from our plastic covers is identical so could be swapped out.
It will work just fine. Been there , done that.
there was one of the older style engine shields with the square hole instead of the notch in the back but I left it
That will work if you add your own notch to the back for drips from our drain plug. A couple cuts with a hack saw and you can break out a notch. Easily done. I have done that as well.
an older transfer case cover on a 1st gen. blazer, that looked similar to ours and would probably work fine.
Not. They will not fit. The hole spacing is not far enough apart for the crossmembers. No way to make them fit at all. Leave that one there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Thanks HJ,
I knew I made the right decision on the t-case one. :D
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

I know this post is fading but wanted to express my interest in procuring some underbody protection. I already destroyed my front stock plastic deflector. Entered the interstate at 60 mph and looked ahead just in time to see a single traffic cone. All I could do was straddle it centered. You can guess how well my plastic stood up to the impact. :cry: Now I gotta hear it from the oil techs at my local tune up shop everytime I get my oil changed. "Do you know your.....", "Yup, I know." I almost feel like my underwear is exposed without my skidplates, sheesh :oops:
[size=75]Drive it in, tow it out! Thats our motto...[/size]
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Rich,
I do have one front cover in aluminum. It is bent, but not drastically. I believe it could be straigtened to be attached very easily. It is missing again the oil access cover screw, but if you have your original it could be swapped out easily. I got it when I purchsed a whole set locally, told the guy I really didn't need it, but he insisted. He charged me $75 for the three, $20 bucks plus shipping and the front cover is yours if you want it.
Jim
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Jim,

That sounds great. I appreciate the offer. I want and need it. We have a metal shop here where I work if I need help straightening it out. Lets work something out for the transaction.:thumb:

Rich
turkeestalker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by turkeestalker »

Rich,
I just shipped a front and tansfercase shield to a member in Oklahoma via USPS. Just a front should be about half as heavy or less, shipping was $21.97. UPS wanted $38, not very cost effective in my opinion, but I will ship it any way you like. If you give me your name and address in a private message, I will get it in the mail. I will let you know a delivery confirmation number so you can do what the USPS calls 'tracking', but that is somewhat of a joke I think, and you can simply mail me a check once we know the amount. I will say that the cover is missing the oil access door screw, so don't throw the one away from your stock plastic one, it can be swapped over.
Jim
Rich K.
Crew
Crew

Post by Rich K. »

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while. The National Guard had me and then I took a vacation trip to Alaska. What a blast.

I have to figure out how to get a picture off my cell phone so I can post a shot of the front skid plate but rest assured that after some meticulous time with a bearing press and a buffing pad I got the plate in great shape and looking good. The only problem I ran into was that when my plastic shield was broken I lost the fastener for the oil filter access cover so I made my own and it works and looks great. I will post some pics when I figure this all out. I haven't read up on how to do that here yet. Thanks again! :rock:
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Skid plate applications

Post by mars2878 »

Link in post #5 doesn't work
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

mars2878 wrote:Link in post #5 doesn't work
Edited .com to .net. They work now. :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

Thanks
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.