Tailgate Cable Inspection and Replacement

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

My dealer already had the stainless cables as of a few weeks ago, so others shouldn't be to far behind if they haven't received them.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

doughboy5499 wrote:I got my letter last week. BUT, I went and got the replacement cables at autozone over the summer. Have no reciept so I guess I did not wait long enough. That kinda sucks. Oh well, I needed them when I bought them. I was moving a hot tub in the bed and did not want to break the only cable I had intact at the time. One was already broke. OH WELL
Well I took mine in this morning and got the factory replacements put on. No questions asked, just ran the VIN number. I also kept the ones I purchaced at Autozone. Does anyone need a pair? I don't think I need them any more. Let me know.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Got My Special Policy Letter Tuesday The 10th
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

Had my tailgate cables replaced today, Took only 10 mins so I waited for it. The cable kit part number for the stainless steel cables is 15939908 just in case you wanna check to make sure your dealer put the right cables on.
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crewcab Dark Metallic Green*Hidden Hitch Class 3 Trailer Hitch*Monro SensaTracs*Airaid Intake*Poweraid TBS*Custom Dual Exhaust*Tranny Cooler*Buffalo Stainless Step Bars*Hunter Grill Brush Guard*Delta Diamond Plate Tool Box*Bed Rhino Lined*APC Clear Corners*Hi Beam Mod*LT235/75/15 BFG All Terrains*Full Skid Plates with Transfer Case Done by SkidZ.[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Finally had time to get the crew to the dealer today, result was two new cables. Good to know that the cables are guaranteed until 2013.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Post by S10CREW01 »

Yah I got my letter and went out to look at mine and I added a little pressure to it and it fell of in my hand. No horor stories to pass went it they did it and now it's fixed..
[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Mine goes in on the 16th. Nothing really visually wrong with them BUT............. SS is always better than galv.

The dumb blonde at the service desk told me that this was an inspection policy only. She said this after she had read the GM notice I handed her. I politely told her BULL#$%^ and pointed out the HIGHLITED areas that said REPLACEMENT at NO COST TO THE CUSTOMER!!! then she said "all day to remove the rivets, to which I asked if they used rocks & flints to get them off. "It takes us longer to drill them off" (HUH?????????) then I walked over to the Serv. mgr. and asked him what he was gonna do about it. "Get the truck in here and send the paperwork to John(my old service writer..GOOD DEAL!). No Charge!" (He and the Dumb Blonde were having a one way discussion in the MGR's office when I left.)

I just LOVE :twisted: MORONS!! :?:

Larry
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Torskdoc wrote:...I just LOVE MORONS!!
It is best to build a good relationship with your local GM dealer. You need them more than they need you.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Dropped it off thursday evening late. Wrote out what it needed down to the adjustment policy # and the part # needed.

Friday morning the Service Manager calls me up about 1030 and said the truck is done.

He proceeds to tell me the results of the spat with the "blonde". He remembered.(I've been buying cars there since 1980, bringing them in for service, and he started out as a Service writer about that time.) 8) She ended up getting suspended for 3 days for feeding me a line of W#$% after reading the notice. It apparently wasn't the 1st time she'd screwed with a customer. Anyway, he's keeping an eye on her............. one more time.......to da MOON, Alice! :wink:

They DO drill the Rivets out, and if you look REALLLY close on the bed end hanger, you'll see "SS" stamped in the hanger. Differentiates the old galv. from the stainless ones. Kinda wish they had stayed with the old style metal bar links. :idea:

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I wish I hadn't replaced mine on my own knowing that they were free from the dealer... Oh well!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

green02crew wrote:I wish I hadn't replaced mine on my own knowing that they were free from the dealer... Oh well!
If you have the receipt GM will reimburse you. :wink:

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I'll look but sorta doubt it... Good to know I can always get some if these break though. I'll try to make it a personal goal.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I received the letter on my wifes 2001 crew quite a while back. Those cables were replaced long ago out of my pocket with the "Help" cables and I didn't keep the receipt.

I recently bought a 2002 crew with the original cables, one of which is only hanging on by the plastic coating. I took the policy for the 2001 with me to the dealership and was told the 2002 S10 was not covered. I called the 800 number and was told the same thing.

Has anyone received a letter on the 2002?

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

JaVeRo wrote:.......Has anyone received a letter on the 2002?.......
I did but, I am sorry to say that I recently threw mine out.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
LUVMY02CREW
Crew
Crew

Post by LUVMY02CREW »

JaVeRo wrote:...I recently bought a 2002 crew with the original cables, one of which is only hanging on by the plastic coating. ......Has anyone received a letter on the 2002?
Bought mine back in early May, 2007 and within a couple of weeks both of mine broke on my '02 crew. Looked around a bunch of salvage yards for spares and finally went to a dealership in Tullahoma, TN and they replaced free of charge.... Not even any big hassle about it either, no letter from GM or anything. Just good luck on the day I called about it I guess.

Daniel
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

JaVeRo wrote:Has anyone received a letter on the 2002?
Yes, I got one almost a year ago. It's been sitting on my desk under a pile of other stuff I have been putting off getting to almost as long. I'll surely be digging it out as soon as one snaps though :lol:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

The GM notice includes the following text:

VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2000-2003 Chevrolet S10 and GMC Sonoma vehicles built within the
following VIN breakpoints:
YEAR DIVISION MODEL FROM THROUGH
2000 Chevrolet S10 Y8100001 Y8315639
YK000001 YK301160
Page 2 July 2006 Bulletin No.: 06020
VEHICLES INVOLVED, Cont'd.
YEAR DIVISION MODEL FROM THROUGH
2001 Chevrolet S10 18100001 18260364
1K100008 1K266833
2002 Chevrolet S10 22K8110000000153 22K8226451769866
2003 Chevrolet S10 33K8110000000051 33K8219807590306
2000 GMC Sonoma YYK8100000000076 YYK8331051613577
2001 GMC Sonoma 11K8110000000092 11K8226606384451
2002 GMC Sonoma 22K8110000000213 22K8226451769743
2003 GMC Sonoma 33K8110000000015 33K8219807394465

My Vin # starting with the 9th digit is
92K12XXXX.

The way I am looking at it, the VIN numbers listed above have too many digits. It may be GM's way of stalling for a year or two.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I believe you are looking at ranges of VINs. A VIN must have 17 numbers/letters.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Those are not vin numbers nor ranges of vin numbers.
GM Special Policy Letter wrote:SPECIAL POLICY NOTICE

IMPORTANT
  • Your vehicle is involved in a special policy 06020
    You or your Chevrolet dealer should inspect the tailgate cables for corrosion per the attached inspection procedure or online video found at www.gm/cables
    Your dealer will perform this inspection for you at no charge
Your name
Your address
City, State Zipcode

Dear Your Name Here:

As the owner of a 2001 Model year Chevrolet S-10, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2001 model year S-10 vehicles equipped with galvanized steel tailgate support cables may have a condition where the cables can corrode and fracture when loads are applied to them. If one or both tailgate support cables were to break, cargo and/or individuals positioned on the tailgate could drop to the ground possibly resulting in cargo damage and/or personal injury.

Owners should NEVER permit an individual to sit on the opened (horizontal) tailgate when a vehicle is in motion. Even when the vehicle is operated at slow speeds, individuals seated on the tailgate can easily lose their balance in response to vehicle maneuvers, unexpected jolts due to road conditions, etc. Individuals who fall to the ground or pavement from a moving vehicle may be seriously injured or killed.

What have we done?
  • General Motors is providing you with an additional warranty coverage to cover corrosion on galvanized steel support cables. If this condition occurs on your vehicle within 12 years of the date that your vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of vehicle mileage, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge
What should you do?
  • You should determine which of the two options below better suit your preference and vehicle usage.

Option 1: You may choose to have your galvanized steel tailgate support cables inspected yearly. You can perform this inspection yourself according to the inspection procedure included with this letter, or as shown on the online video at www.gm/cables, or you can take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer and they will inspect the cables for you at no charge. If a cable shows signs of corrosion, both cables will be replaced with stainless steel cables at no charge to you. If you choose this option, and you would like your dealer to perform the inspection, you should contact the service department to schedule an appointment that is convenient for you. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Option 2: If you have any concerns about frequency or effectiveness of the inspection procedure, discuss them with your dealer. If you are not satisfied that the regular inspection is an appropriate way to assure the intended performance of your cables, or you are unwilling to inspect the cables, your dealer will replace your galvanized support cables with stainless steel support cables.
Did you already pay for this repair?
  • The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid to have your galvanized steel support cables replaced because of corrosion.

All replacement tailgate support cables that have been purchased prior to August 2006 were made of galvanized steel and will need the be inspected annually as outlined in the enclosed inspection procedure.
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.
  • Scott Lawson
    General Director
    Customer and Relationship Services
Pretty cut and dried. If you own a S-10 that has galvanized support cables, you are covered for 12 years from the date it was put in service.
(All S-10 prior to August 2006 have galvanized cables)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I filed a complaint with NHTSA. Got an email back the next morning with a scanned copy of the same letter posted above with instructions to show it to the dealer. I emailed him back, told him I had done that and was told that my VIN was not included.

Email the next day (Friday) said he would check with GM.

Monday morning GM "EXECUTIVE" office is calling. I gave her the same story. She called back twice more and two times Wednesday. I think we have it all resolved now.

First she was telling me the Chevrolet Dealer could not fix it because mine was a GMC. I told her my truck was not a GMC.

Next she told me the dealer was looking at the VIN wrong. I told her I called the 800 Customer Service Number and was told the same thing.

All should be right when I get my paperwork sent in.

My compliments to NHTSA for prompt attention on this matter.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you have any problems you need to deal with GM customer service directly.
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center : 1-800-222-1020. (In Canada, contact GM of Canada Central Office in Oshawa by calling 1-800-263-3777: English, or 1-800-263-7854: French.)
They will educate the dealer and resolve the problem.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Is there any option for getting new cables on my CC. I bought it used from a dealer so, have recieved no letter about a recall on these parts. I'm not real sure I need new cables but, I would rather not take a chance and wear a load in my face from my tailgate collapsing.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You have the same coverage as us all. This special policy is not specific to the original owner. Print my quoted letter so that you have the policy number. That is what they will need to bill GM for the parts and labor.
Be kind and help to educate your local service department. The service managers are the ones who receive these letters of special policy and sometimes they can be over looked. If the tech runs the VIN for recalls , this will not show up. If you have problems, call customer service and voice your concerns.
Is it possible yours have already been replaced? They should be able to check using your VIN, if you can not tell the difference.

It is not hard to inspect them. The video does a good job of explaining the procedure. As long as there are no tears or swelling you should be just fine.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

HenryJ wrote:If you have any problems you need to deal with GM customer service directly.
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center : 1-800-222-1020. (In Canada, contact GM of Canada Central Office in Oshawa by calling 1-800-263-3777: English, or 1-800-263-7854: French.)
They will educate the dealer and resolve the problem.
The Customer Assistance Center at 1.800.630.2438 is the one that told me the Dealer was correct and my VIN number was not included in the Special Policy. Tracy Whitewick was the one I spoke to.

James
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you have a second gen crew cab you are covered. Try the number quoted above in your post and quote the special policy number for them to reference.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Special Policy 06020 was SUPERCEDED by 06020A in 2006. They may have been looking at the wrong TSB.

ALSO THE TSB deliniates which vehicles ARE covered by VIN Breakpoints. Unfortunately the possibility, however slight, exists that James' vehicle is not covered due to falling outside the parameters of the VIN breakpoints.

Here's the campaign info I copied off ALLDATA, as I have a 2002.

2002 Chevy Truck S10/T10 P/U 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W

Top - Vehicle
Body and Frame
. Truck Bed
. . Tailgate
. . . Tailgate Shock / Support
. . . . Technical Service Bulletins
. . . . . All Technical Service Bulletins
. . . . . . Campaign - Tailgate Cable Replacement/Warranty Extension

Notes

Campaign - Tailgate Cable Replacement/Warranty Extension
Subject:
Special Policy Adjustment - Tailgate Support Cable Replacement
# 06020A - (09/11/2006)

Models:
2000-2003 Chevrolet S10
2000-2003 GMC Sonoma

The service procedure and labor time in this bulletin have been revised because of feedback received from GM dealership service technicians. Discard all copies of bulletin 06020, issued July 2006.

Due to part availability this Special Policy is being mailed to customers in phases. You will be notified as parts become available and phases are released.

To minimize customer inconvenience, encourage customers to have their cables replaced rather than returning for annual inspections.

If a customer is concerned that the inspection procedure is not an appropriate way to assure the intended performance of the cables, or is unwilling to perform the required inspection, dealers are instructed to assist the customer by replacing the galvanized support cables with stain less steel support cables.

Condition

Some customers of 2000-2003 Chevrolet S10 and GMC Sonoma vehicles may experience broken galvanized steel tailgate support cables.

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 12 years from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of mileage. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2006 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2000-2003 Chevrolet S10 and GMC Sonoma vehicles built within the VIN breakpoints shown.
2002 Chev S-10 28100005 to 28265796
2k100013 to 2k241686

2002 GMC Sonoma 28100001 to 28265794
2k100023 to 2K241673

{NOTE: I COPIED ONLY THE 2002 CHEV/GMC #'s}

These breakpoint Numbers are the LAST 8 numbers on his VIN. His VIN MUST FALL within the spread.

James: Email me lderouin:at:comcast(DOT)net and I'll make a word doc of the TSB and the Owners letter and shoot it off to you. I didn't have a problem getting mine other than Dealers don't especially like doing warranty work and they'll do almost anything to get you to either forget about it or you to pay for it.

Like Brule said,.....be nice.....

Use the Honey but make DAMNED sure the sledge hammer is in reach.
You COULD go Comcastic on them. (74 yr old woman goes postal in Comcast Customer Service office with Hammer....) jk!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Torskdoc wrote:Special Policy 06020 was SUPERCEDED by 06020A in 2006. They may have been looking at the wrong TSB.

ALSO THE TSB deliniates which vehicles ARE covered by VIN Breakpoints. Unfortunately the possibility, however slight, exists that James' vehicle is not covered due to falling outside the parameters of the VIN breakpoints.

Here's the campaign info I copied off ALLDATA, as I have a 2002.

(edited for clarity)

Involved are certain 2000-2003 Chevrolet S10 and GMC Sonoma vehicles built within the VIN breakpoints shown.
2002 Chev S-10 28100005 to 28265796
2k100013 to 2k241686

The VIN numbers I was looking at from this website: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/arch ... 35488.html

are as follows:
2002 Chevrolet S10 22K8110000000153 22K8226451769866

My vehicle, 92K122xxx falls within the VIN numbers you listed but not the list I found.

The lady I spoke with from the Executive office never admitted that the VIN numbers on the original list were wrong but as you said, I believe that is what happened.

At this point, I have replaced the cables myself. I was not willing to risk destroying a good tailgate while arguing over a $26 part. GM has said if I send in the original receipt with proof of ownership, they would reimburse the cost of the parts. Since it's raining today, I have time to get that sent in.

Thanks for all the help.

James

EDIT:
I found something really odd!
If I take the numbers that I found and break it out as follows with all the odd digits on one line and all the even digits on the next line, It ALMOST matches the numbers Torskdoc posted.

(as found on GMInsideNews.com
22K8110000000153 - 22K8226451769866

2 k 1 0 0 0 0 5 - 2 k 2 6 5 7 9 6
_2 8 1 0 0 0 1 3 - 2 8 2 4 1 6 8 6

(as posted by Torskdoc)
28100005 to 28265796
2k100013 to 2k241686

If you swap the 8 and the k, you have a perfect match
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

So, if I don't get a letter, I can't get free cables? Nothing wrong with mine, but if they are free... lol.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is a special policy. If yours fail to pass the visual inspection or if you insist they need to be replaced, they will replace them free of charge. Mine are still the galvanized replacements. I am watching them. Now that I have a cover, I doubt they will have problems. It is the open end of the cable exposed to weather that poses a risk. The moisture settles at the bottom where the cable corrodes and then it gets folded and flexed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
okie s10
Crew
Crew

Post by okie s10 »

How ironic this post come up again. I just had mine done yesterday. And no, I didn't get a letter but took 2 trips to service dept to get it done. First trip they said I was crazy, no recall. Second trip I had printed off the proof paperwork from this site and BINGO, Joe Blow Service Mgr relented.
[size=75]---Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans............John Lennon[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is not a recall. It is a special policy. Special Inspection policy may be a better description. Educating your local service department is a good thing.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ok so im going to go into my chev dealer tomorrow and tell them about the special policy. what should i bring with me or email to them?
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hopefully they are now aware of the policy. Just in case print out the notice I quoted above. That has the number. Be sure that they know this is not a recall like the fullsize and will not show up as a recall when they search.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ok thanks a lot, mine have been broken since i got the truck. the tailgate is a little bent from dropping so low do you think theyll replace it?
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They may pay to repair the damage. If they balk, you might infer that they are fortunate to not be paying for the Hospitals emergency room bills. ;)
"I was not hurt badly, at least I don't think so. They say the head injury , my son received will probably not result in permanent brain damage. We will know more when he comes out of the coma." :lol:
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

haha good idea. ill post how it goes. thanks!
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

ok , got them today. took explaining to a lot of people but i got it done. thanks for the help!
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

did ya get the tailgate?
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

no just the straps. my tailgate dosent have any damage but the letter says they have to replace it if you have damage.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HCO4x4 wrote:no just the straps. my tailgate dosent have any damage but the letter says they have to replace it if you have damage.

bu bu but...
HCO4x4 wrote:ok thanks a lot, mine have been broken since i got the truck. the tailgate is a little bent from dropping so low do you think theyll replace it?
:?:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

lol the bottom left corner is bent up a little. but i realized that was from when i took it off and it hit the ground. :lol: good eye
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

The barch is quick and misses nothing!
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Stopped by my local dealer yesterday and told them one of my cables broke when I dropped the gate open. Said I read about a Special Notice about these cables. Instant response, Bring it in 8:30 Monday morning, will be done in about a half hour. I'm guessing they know about the notice. The only Question they asked was the year of my '02 CC YELLOW ZR5. And this is the Ozarks. I guess the word is out. :!: 8)
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Hopped up into my truck bed this afternoon and snap went the passenger side cable, noticeable bulges just below and above where it broke. As mine is a 2004 I hope this is covered under the special policy. Guess it's another thing I have to get done. I seem to have inherited a flock of ducks would anyone else like to take them off my hands?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I received a postcard reminder about the special policy today. It states that I have a twelve year free replacement available. It references the website for the inspection procedure and does say no charge for the replacements.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:.........................I seem to have inherited a flock of ducks would anyone else like to take them off my hands?
I know the feeling, "Little John" :o
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

04crewvt wrote:I seem to have inherited a flock of ducks would anyone else like to take them off my hands?
Corn fed? :drool:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well I just got my letter of replacement for the cables.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

just got mine monday
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

As expected my truck seems not to be covered by the special policy. It's noted on the work order and then I have a line item charge of $31.39 for the cables and 33.95 in laborImage. I will be calling the Service Dept. when they open on Tuesday to see if I can fight that.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yours is covered. You will have to educate them about the policy.

This is not a recall like the full size and will not show up if they run the VIN for recalls. It is a "Special Policy" and the service manager did receive a letter on the policy. If you have any trouble at all call the GM customer service number posted above. Have the names and information of the dealership that is denying your service under this policy. They will get b***h slapped into understanding the policy ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I did when I called them and it's even noted on the bill-
58628 replaced both rear tail gate cables per bulletin. If I read correctly the above letter my VIN falls outside the official policy letter
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Were yours bad? If they were get them back you do have recourse if you push the matter with GM customer service. This is a known problem.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I bet they are in the scrap heap by now, but yes the passenger side snapped when I was climbing into the bed a couple of weeks ago and the drives side had the start of the telltale bulge in it. Since my truck was only made for 1/2 of 2004 it seems a lot of the "covered" items are not "covered" on mine. I will start with the dealership and work my way up. Might as well since I will be tilting at windmills to see if they will cover any of the motor replacement anyway.
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

i have not recieved that notice but the right side broke last night :twisted:
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Go directly to a reputable dealer and as I did, First tell the service writer that you read about a Special Notice that said the chevy dealers were supposed to replace the cables on your tailgate because of some faulty materials that could break and cause injury and or damage when opened. Ask them to look it up under Special Notice. Then after they locate the information tell them about your broken cable. Thats exactly how I did it and they scheduled an appointment for me to bring mine in and replaced both cables with new upgraded ones FREE. :shock: 8) :lol:
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

talk about bad timing when i got home from work me and the pregnant wife sitting on the tail gate discussing the days events with our girls and *SNAP* :twisted: talk about PI$$ing me off after working 10 hrs on other peoples cars and mine goes and has something break on it :cry:
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

well i just got back from town being at my local gm dealer and he told me that my cc is not on the list for those replacement cables so i went to the parts department and asked the guy how much for new ones and he told me i would also have to replace a hindge and just for the "hindge" was over 50 bucks. i stopped by the same dealer last week and he said i could have my cables replaced but until today i hadnt had a day off to have it done. I am getting upset with this dealer 2 years ago rearend was redone at this dealer and they gave me all kinds of issues i had to call the dealer i bought my cc from to get them to line this one out on what and how to get it done so for anyone heading thru lawton ok i hope you do not need to have aubry chevy do anything for you
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Let me guess, you have a 2004 as well I just got hit for $65 parts and labor on mine with the same response not on the list.
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

no actually its a 2003. Its irreatting its the same parts as all the other trucks so i dont know why they wouldnt just do it besides the money for them thats just a drop in the bucket :twisted: :x
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Either of you argue your case with customer service yet?
I got mine replaced free of charge before the special policy was sent out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Capt. Morgan
Crew
Crew

Post by Capt. Morgan »

i told the service rep. about what i have read on here and he gave me this spill about it being for a certain vin and from certain plants and blah blah. in which i asked him if he was calling yall liars he intern iqnored me :twisted:
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tail gate cables

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

Has GM included the 04 models for this replacement? The drivers side cable on my truck broke about two years ago. Both cables are showing the same symptoms of failure.
Jeff
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Nope I just had to pay to have mine replaced this summer the 04 was not included in the TSB.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

04crewvt wrote:Nope I just had to pay to have mine replaced this summer the 04 was not included in the TSB.
Well crap. Did you go with OEM? How much?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

OEM was around $65 installed. We are getting s_rewed since we have the exact same cables as everyone else since they did not start making the new version cables until after the truck was no longer being produced. You will note that many aftermarket parts won't even show the 2004 in the list you just have to go with 2003 on most part searches. We are the proud owners of holdovers IE they were building the 2004 just to get rid of all the last parts before the Colorado's shipped.
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

True, but we are unique since we own the last year model the S-10 was sold.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:True, but we are unique since we own the last year model the S-10 was sold.
Perhaps the last model yr S-10 pick ups were sold. Not the
YellowCrewCabber wrote: last year model the S-10 was sold
:wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Are the '04 cables stainless steel? Check with a magnet.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

GM tailgate Support Cable Replacement

Post by paintballrocker »

i was checking the mail today and i noticed a postcard from GM saying that any one owning a 2000-2003 S10 or sanoma should check the tailgate cables. and if they are damaged at all they will be replaced for free. anyone else get this postcard?
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: GM tailgate Support Cable Replacement

Post by HenryJ »

paintballrocker wrote:... anyone else get this postcard?
Yup :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: GM tailgate Support Cable Replacement

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:
paintballrocker wrote:... anyone else get this postcard?
Yup :mg:
X2! At least it wasn't another bill. :roflmao:
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Tailgate Cable Inspection and Replacement

Post by border man »

Here, here....
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Tailgate Cable Inspection and Replacement

Post by roadrunner »

ditto!
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.