Transmission cooler... I need a Line Fitting kit?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Transmission cooler... I need a Line Fitting kit?

Post by fallvitals »

Hey guys, I went to advance auto today to order this transmission cooler, which looks identical to the one on the modification page (except this is suppose to be heavy duty? :?: ):

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 5553541___

Of course, their website says its in stock, and instock at every Advance around here, but it isnt. They have to orde rit, itll be in in 3-4 days. Then the guy asked if I wanted the line fittings. I said, No, I figure some hose clamps will work just fine. He said he didn't know, theres a lot of preasure there. Which, I think hose clamps would work fine, but, are these fittings worth getting?

only $9, heres the link to it:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 5555882___

Im assuming what I do is unscrew the line from the radiator, install those, then run the hose to the Cooler?

Worth getting?

i think it might be, I could always remove it easily for a new vehicle when i sell down the road... ?[/url]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I would get the kit. It will make the hose seal so much better. You won't have to worry about it blowing off the pipe.
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, I was going to do this mod, the route I would take is what JIGG did. Write up on Zr2USA.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The cooler kit looks like it comes with a male adapter for the radiator. You can then just slide the rubber hose over the line on the other side.

Those fittings are nice, and are not a wrong choice.

Some cut the steel line for the install. I am not sure that is my first choice.

I like Jiggs install, but would rather see everyone use the bottom line so that the fluid is precooled before entering the radiator. This also lets the coolant regulate the temperature and aids in quicker warm up to operating temperature.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:........I like Jiggs install, but would rather see everyone use the bottom line so that the fluid is precooled before entering the radiator....
I should have known that I needed to make that clear and mentioned the radiator's lower AT line. Mine is tied in on the bottom line for that very reason.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

great info. Yeah those fittings are the way to go. They are more worthwhile then I thought. Ill have to swing by there tomorrow and make sure they have em, if not order them too.

When I disconnect the bottom line, is ATF gonna pour out of it?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

fallvitals wrote:........When I disconnect the bottom line, is ATF gonna pour out of it?
Very little IIRC.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Alrighty guys, I went and picked up those fittings today, along with some PB for my rounded off bolt head on my differantial (see stock CC forum.. but thats another story).

These fittings will definantly make it easier to remove the cooler for a new truck when I go to sell this one, hopefully years from now if its a good truck for me. Just unscrew the fittings, and screw the stock line back in!
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Hey guys.

I started to install the cooler today, got the battery removed, removed the grill, then it started raining.... So i put it all back together. But my question...

Just how are you suppose to get to that bottom tranny line without removing the radiator hose? Without taking apart a lot of stuff, looks like its unreachable. I started to do it from the top return line, but the rain stopped me.

So any tips here? orjust go with the top?

(Also,,, how more cooling ability will if I use the bottom line rather then the top? seems liek it would be equal reguardless of which line?)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I combined my with several other preventative maintenance items. Getting rid of the Dexcool, replacing hoses and maybe my installation of my extra capacity radiator, IIRC. You can use the top but, why half arse it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:(Also,,, how more cooling ability will if I use the bottom line rather then the top? seems liek it would be equal reguardless of which line?)
Top will cool more. More heat will go to the engine. The trans warm up will be longer. Coolant serves to regulate the temp.

Pull the battery and tray if you need to? How about dropping the front shield?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Didnt even think about the front "shield" :oops:

Wont be till early next week when the weather clears ill try it again.

ALSO! When i took the grill off, right below where the cooler will be installed theres a wire with a plug,,, that isnt plugged into any thing.... nor Do i see anything to plug it into....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/J ... ns-016.jpg

That wire that goes up into thhe sheet metal piece infront of the radiator... I think it might be that wire. Just laying in the grill,, not plugged to any thing..... Any idea what thats all about? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:ALSO! When i took the grill off, right below where the cooler will be installed theres a wire with a plug,,, that isnt plugged into any thing.... nor Do i see anything to plug it into....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/J ... ns-016.jpg

That wire that goes up into thhe sheet metal piece infront of the radiator... I think it might be that wire. Just laying in the grill,, not plugged to any thing..... Any idea what thats all about? :?:
Unknown plug in connector behind front Grill
Everything is just a search away.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I just installed my B&M trans supercooler tonight. This really is a nice item. The only thing I didn't like is the fit of the stock male line fitting to the female (from kit) with hose barb. The two threaded together but the collars met before I thought the inside flanges did. So I ground down about 1/8" of the female thread end. Now the two tighten down tight and the collars don't quite touch. I can now see rub marks on the inside flanges showing that they are sealing. It might have seated ok. But I didn't want to redo it if it did leak.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Late update, got the cooler on about 1.5 weeks ago.

Definantly wasnt a 1/2 hour job for me...

I went with the bottom line. Removing the "Skid" plate wouldnt have done me any good. But removing the fan shroud did. I got right in there, tok off the bottom line, and ATF didnt pour out, but it eventually all slowly leaked out, it was a good bit.

That took forever,, then I had to go get more hose, didnt have enough. I was smart enough to put teflon tape on the fittings. The line that goes into the radiator was a BEAR to do... had to bend the lien out a little, dad held it while I threaded the fitting on. Conected the hose sucked to in that tight spot. Then My cooler was just big enough to fit, making the lines not set flush with the radiator. I took the hood latch metal piece that looks like a Y off of the front. Dad by hand pulled out that ltitle bar behind it some to get the cooler to fit behind it without the cooler making metal on metal contact with that metal bar. It helped it setting flush against the radiator, wasnt perfect, but after we got it zip tied in, it was flush against it. But took me far far longer then it should have.

I was thinking I could take that sucker fof when i go to sell/trade this truck down the road... Nah,, That sucker is staying there.