Bigger alternator

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Awesome! I am glad you did not take offense.

This really is the workhorse of the late model alternators. I really think they took the old "Heavy Duty" CS144 and updated it for the 20th century.

You do have more to work with for sure. It is kind of like the old small block and big block debate. Sure they can both perform, but it is just easier when you start out big.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Bigger alternator

Post by HenryJ »

I was able to spend some time with the representatives of NAPA rotary today. They manufacture the alternators and starters. Both the re-builders and new parts divisions.
I was able to voice some of my design concerns. They do appear to be improving parts that are used. I still believe that the rebuilt parts are better than the import copies they sell as their new alternators.

One valuable thing that I learned is that they have an HO line. Take any part number and add HO to the end of it to check availability. It turns out that the alternator I have in a box. New never used. Has a HO counterpart. A new warranted 200 amp rated alternator and it costs $15 less than the 130 amp version that I have :shock: They appear to be competitively priced close to the dollar per amp rule.

I hope to get one in and see if it is a better build. The one that I have is just too loose to perform well while hot. The junk yard alternator does a better job.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:I hope to get one in and see if it is a better build. The one that I have is just too loose to perform well while hot. The junk yard alternator does a better job.
"Too loose"? :?: What ya mean by that? Please elaborate. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Clearances too large. Tighter clearances provide better performance. There needs to be enough clearance to allow for differences in expansion rate, but close enough that the output does not suffer. A well matched armature and stator have close tolerances and perform to or beyond specifications. The import copies are sloppy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Gotcha!! :thumb:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

In regards to the remote sense wire, I had to take it off of my ad244. When running the stock alt, the sense wire helped the flickering light issue. After upgrading, I noticed it caused an issue where at first start, the voltage would stay at 12v for a little while and would also drop randomly. Once the sense wire was removed, not even a hiccup.

So... Stock alt needed sense, ad244 doesn't want it??

Either way, works fine now. But if someone else experiences the same issue you may know where to look now.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:I picked up a Delphi AD244 130A alternator at the salvage yard for $50. It was off of a 2002 Suburban 1500 with a flex fuel 5.3L engine.
I still have this one in the garage as my spare. It really works GREAT.
HenryJ wrote:Knowing what I know now. I would buy a genuine AC Delco AD244 130 or 140 amp alternator. For an application I used a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3L and high output alternator.
HenryJ wrote:I was able to spend some time with the representatives of NAPA rotary today. One valuable thing that I learned is that they have an HO line. Take any part number and add HO to the end of it to check availability. They appear to be competitively priced close to the dollar per amp rule.
I am currently running a NAPA# 1N-4801 HO , 200 amp alternator.

Be sure to use the Gatorback belt.
HenryJ wrote:Purchased at Autozone part number 4060960

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

OK, after reading 4 pages with tons of information, my mind is close to over load. Can I ask what the final application procedure and parts list is , to do this swap to the AD244 alternator ? There seem to be a lot of ways to go about this. I simply need to know what I need and how to go about it in my , pretty much stock "02 CC. :blink:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check the post right above yours. It still applies. The $50 salvage yard alternator is still the best deal. The HO from Napa has also been working.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

did using that 200 amp affect your gas millage
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I think it helped mine. It is not working as hard as the stock one. I could hear and feel the stock one when the e fans kicked on. I don't have the problem any more...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

ok do what else do i need beside the alternator
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

dozer1530 wrote:ok do what else do i need beside the alternator
HenryJ wrote:Be sure to use the Gatorback belt.
HenryJ wrote:Purchased at Autozone part number 4060960

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

ok sweet ill do that
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

so all i need to do is get the belt from autozone and the alternator from napa and thats it ??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will need some wrenches and a ratchet to install them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

lol duu :lol: ok thanks im gona get this started iv ben planning on doing this for a wile now
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Was only able to stop by NAPA on the way home last night. Emergency at home, Air Conditioner died, 100* humidity 98. Anyway NAPA could only check my battery charge with motor running showed 13.8 volts. I hope to get by Oreilies today where they can check my alternator output.
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I would have put an AD244 in my truck, but I got a good deal on a DR44G. Just installed it yesterday and it seems to be working fine - if anyone cares.
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

whats the difference between the two
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

I wish I had been around when this thread was started. I could have probably saved some one a lot of trouble because I work at a starter and alternator rebuilding company building alternators.
Still yet though if anybody needs any part numbers crossed over or anything I have access to the programs and can probably help.

I was going to build a 140 amp cs130 but decided to go with the AD for my Blazer.
'02 2dr 2wd 5 speed Blazer (new daily driver)
'82 S10 383ci (neglected toy:(
'92 Sonoma 4.3 auto (For sale)
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good choice

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

NAPA# 1N-4801 HO i cant seem to find this on there site napa site
i need to get an alternator this weekend hopefully and i cant find the 200 amp one. i prob only nedd a 140 or 150 amp. im gona stop by auto zone on after work tonight and see what they can find. but i figur all i need is a 140 or 150 thats what im looking for. im prob gona call sumit to and see what they can get for me cuz i know they have the belt i need
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't know what the quality of the Autozone alternator might be, Be careful though.
That part number works just fine at NAPAonline, No dashes or spaces: 1N4801HO
None available off the shelf. 14 available from the supplier. My cost $232.49

The salvageyard AD244 is still your best bargain.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

so when im ready to get it after i get the ac put back to gether just pm you and get it from you? o and this is the belt you were talking about right? http://www.summitracing.com/search/bran ... s=Rank|Asc
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nah, Just call your local NAPA auto parts. I gave you my price so you know what they CAN sell it for. Shipping from here would kill you if I bought it here :)
I bought my belt at my local Autozone too. I try to buy local and support the people who support my community when possible.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

lol ok . hey is this the belt you weere talking about http://www.summitracing.com/search/bran ... s=Rank|Asc
dozer1530
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by dozer1530 »

did you loose and gas millage and or power using your 200 amp??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

dozer1530 wrote:did you loose and gas millage and or power using your 200 amp??
Nothing noticeable.
The belt I used is listed above in my posts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
hootz
Regular
Regular

Post by hootz »

Thanks to all that posted on this subject!! I just recently bought this truck which spent most of its' previous life as a trailer queen towed to shows. Although the odometer mileage is low it probably idled a lot with the audio cranked. The original alternator was all but dead...did not charge well and the lights flickered at idle with no load. I really liked the CS144 as the internals seemed very serviceable...much like the old 10SI (no solder). After reading all posts on this subject it became clear to me that the AD244 was the better way to go and I am happy with my decision. Purchased a Remy brand at Advance Auto...part number 91606-WU. As an application I used a 2002 K1500 with 5.3L and heavy duty alternator. Used Dayco belt 5060960. This was a true bolt on installation for my 4.3L...no modifications at all. Voltage solid at idle...13.7 with 5 KC Dayliters, four 55 watt auxiliary lights, headlamps and the stereo cranked.
2003 S-10 CrewCab..Mall Crawler Extraordinaire!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am surprised they did not upgrade the alternator. I guess it was pretty early and we did not know about the AD244 swap yet. The intent of that truck was a showcase for other stuff. Pretty cool to see that truck show up here after all these years. There is a thread around with the sketches they did while building it. Lots of custom work in that truck.
Does it still have the rack in the back for hauling an ATV?

- ThunderII KE7CSK