Avalanche help!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Avalanche help!

Post by HenryJ »

I have a dilemma.

I have two vehicles and need to choose. Year is the same. Miles are within 5000 of each other. Color the same. Both with the same engine, trans , t-case, gearing, locker, tow package. Cloth interior.

The first is pretty much bare bones. Priced very good at trade in value. One owner with regular dealer service work every 3000 miles. Sold and stayed in Oregon. It is not 50 miles from the original dealer right now.
16" wheels, no skid plates, no Z71 package. It has a front grille guard/brush bar.
It would need front buckets with the console, bigger alternator, shocks and shields at a minimum.
Hoaky stuff: Bench seat arm rest is missing the lid. A credit union repossession dealer?

The second has had two owners and came from California via a dealer auction. It has all the bells and whistles. Sand package. Increased capacity air cleaner, Z71, shields, 17" tires, Bose sound system. Buckets with console, dimming side mirrors, adjustable pedals, power seats, sunroof and the list goes on. Deluxe everything.
Hoaky stuff: RPO code shows a 4 month Florida rental fleet incentive. Not sure what that means as Carfax shows it only in California for two owners. Carfax shows 1000 miles more in July of this year than I am told by the salesman shows now.

Bare bones is $3000 cheaper.

Choose cheaper and upgrade everything? That is sort of what I had to do with the crew cab. I did not have options available though. The history is less questionable. Lots of work to get it trail worthy.

Choose the more expensive with all the "stuff"? Questionable history. Mileage is not really an issue as it would equal the other at most is my guess. All those extras have to add quite a bit of weight. Are they worth it?

This is going to happen VERY soon. What'cha think?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Avalanche help!

Post by green02crew »

Personally, I think its easier to get the one with everything in it already. But then again, isn't part of the fun making it what you want? I would go with the loaded though.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

i vote for the oregon rig!!!! California rigs are picky imop, plus 17" tires are expencive, and 3000 bucks could go a long ways towards making it the rig you want!!! becuse stock dosnt work for you i know. lol
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:Increased capacity air cleaner, Z71, shields, 17" tires, Bose sound system. Buckets with console, dimming side mirrors, adjustable pedals, power seats, sunroof and the list goes on. Deluxe everything.

What'cha think?

My Tahoe Has All The Goodies, Z71 Shields Are Metal Not Composite On Mine That's Nice

I Have The 17" Rims, I Added 2" Rear Spacers (coil rear) And Ford Torsion Bar Keys And I'm Running 34 x 11.50 Tires No Trimming.

Buckets With The Big Console Is Nice

Dimming Side Mirrors / Inside Mirror Is Nice

Sunroof Is Cool (1st vehicle i've owned with one)

Power Seats Are Nice Too, Mine Has A Setting for 2 Drivers

Power Pedals Hardly Ever Use Those,

Bose System Is Nice But The Door Speakers Are Cheap Bose Stuff

The Z71 Package Gives About An Inch More Clearance Over The Regular Models I Believe
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

gocntry wrote:...I Have The 17" Rims, I Added 2" Rear Spacers (coil rear) And Ford Torsion Bar Keys And I'm Running 34 x 11.50 Tires No Trimming.
I like the sound of that.

I will admit that finding all the parts needed and adding them is not seeming like so much fun. There is lots to do getting it to its happy place as it is.

The Deluxe model is at a busy used car dealer. The bare bones appears to be an empty warehouse. Google maps is cool :)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I refuse to even consider adding a response to all of this blasphemy.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:I refuse to even consider adding a response ...
Too late ;) Your fingers slipped :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

or you could do a 6 foot bed swap and a vortec 350 , or 5.3 and just keep the crew cab!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

michaelhrgn wrote:or you could do a 6 foot bed swap and a vortec 350 , or 5.3 and just keep the crew cab!!!
That is possible. How are we going to keep it cool at 9000'? I am borderline with the V-6 at that altitude.

Too much work for me right now, I'm afraid. That takes this from a reliable daily driver to the "toy" phase. The front axle is not going to hold up under the V-8, so a SFA swap would need to be added too. That snowball will keep rolling and growing "me thinks" :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

The Florida issue is common for rental fleet vehicles. Most of the major rental companies are based out of Florida and Tulsa, OK, due to tax/registration loopholes. We run into rentals all the time with California plates registered out of these two states OK/FL

I wouldn't worry too much about the prior rental, being as it would have been a premier/large suv category vehicle meaning EXPENSIVE!!! Those vehicles don't rent often/aren't abused as much as say the $19.99 Kia Rio/Honda Civics
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Interesting. If it was a rental it got less than 33 miles. The first registration is in California at 33 miles on the odometer.

I have not heard back from that dealer. That may mean it is gone or they are not interested in dealing with me.

The search continues. I don't think that I'll make a 400 miles trip to look at just the bare bones Avalanche. I need a couple options if I drive that far.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Get the loaded one, My tahoe has way more stuff than I wanted, I used it as a barganing tool, I said maybe I should look elsewhere for one with less options to the salesman...the price dropped :D

Last edited by Jim on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

there are plenty of guys running v8s with no cooling problems and even towing big loads with ac on in 100 plus, and the front diff would hold up too as long as your not throled happy on the trails. i know i had a v8 blazer and i towed a 3500 pound trailer in 97 deg(ac on) weather over to eastern oregon /over cabage hill with the stock s10 radiator.
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

sorry for the thread jack i am just hoping theres a way you could keep your crew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is not gone yet. It is likely that I will not trade it in and wait until I find a good home for it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

i wish i could give it an new home i know its been well cared for
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is still an awesome truck. I REALLY like driving it.

I just heard back from the salesman for the deluxe. Typical stuff, "come on in..." "we will do a great deal". I keep telling them to shoot me a number or the truck doesn't go with me. I'm not trading it in for nothing. The price will be right, or it will not sell. I'd rather sell it cheap to a good home myself rather than give it away to a dealer.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I apologize beforehand but, it is laying there, has a really neat handle that begs to be picked up.
"Would you PM me the shipping to 40744"
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

apperantly my reply didnt make it in. simply... id say go with the more expensive one... Could be a risk though... my crew had 2 owners, and bought at auction in NC. My grease fitting probably were never greased. Had some simple problems.. ac no blowing right, broken vanity mirror, etc. Dealer fixed all that. But, so far it has been reliable. With the exception of our crappy cooling system.

My pinion seal went bad but that may have been lift related... Mainly my thing is... for what "little" extra that is, you would be happier and save you some time/money looking for the stuff thats already in it.

But it sounds like both those choices are out the window, keep us updated.
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

F9K9 wrote:I apologize beforehand but, it is laying there, has a really neat handle that begs to be picked up.

Did I miss something in this thread? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think you missed anything except his sense of humor ;)
F9K9 wrote:I apologize beforehand but, it is laying there, has a really neat handle that begs to be picked up.
Rockstar Juiced ready to go, I'll meet half way! :mg:

The deluxe one may be still "on". The guy does not do email well at all. It takes a whole day to get a response , if not more.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

lol, my blonde gets in the way some times. :roflmao:
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

HJ, as far as rentals go, they're usually well maintained and serviced. Our Montana was a rental, and outside of a couple of minor things it served well, although teeenagers led to the engine problem. I've drove a friend's Avalanche a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed the way it handled and rode. Not sure if I would buy one unles the right deal came along and I had the cash on hand. but overall, a nice ride.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I drove the Avalanche. It had a few things that I liked better and a few that I was not excited about. It is geared one step lower than I planned, but that just means a little bigger tire to get the final ratio right. Leather interior, not what I had in mind, but I can live with it. It needs tires VERY soon. I had not planned on that. Belts need to be replaced and the AC tensioner pulley squeaks. Common issues.
It is the cleanest and lowest mileage of any I had considered.
It will work for me.
Done deal.
The second one that I had looked at in the beginning took the deal I originally offered. No haggling. I show him around my truck and explained as much as I could. No inspections, or test drive. He took it for what I wanted.

His story was that they keep them no longer than 30 days. Drop to cost just before and move them. If the 30 days is up , off to the auction. Guess it is all about timing.
The salesman was very easy to get along with. The owner was very personable and I liked him too. I'll recommend them for sure.

I asked that he pass on my contact information and I have four cards stashed in the truck. I hope we see the new owner here some day.
Sad to see it go.
It is a new journey that I take now. Get this truck to its happy place. :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Congrats on the new truck. I bet it hurt to leave your crew behind.

Pictures?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am still burned out from the whole ordeal. I was all set to be ready to leave for Portland today and was scrambling to get all my stuff out of the truck.
This one came out of the blue. I got little rest last night and woke before daylight to finish pulling cables and electronics out of my truck. I had just finished putting it all back together when I got the email from Boise. One call and I was off to see the Avalanche, title in hand ready to let it go. A quick clean cut.
First thing I get from my wife..."I didn't get to say good bye to the truck :cry: " I didn't know what to say to that.
I am sad that it is gone. Still in shock or a little fuzzy from all the stuff happening these last few days.
I hope that I saved all that I needed. I did forget my steering wheel cover :mad:

Upward and onward! A clean slate to bugger up!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

thats so sad , i hope we hear from the new owner. i hope you REALLY ENJOY THE NEW RIG
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks. A couple pleasant surprises. There is a 145 amp alternator under the hood. Not listed on the RPO code list.
Who in California orders an engine block heater? Glad they did! VERY happy to see a K05 RPO code :clap:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

No pictures? Or do we have to wait until it's done? :D

I'm very sad to see the ThunderII go, BTW. :(
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll get some pictures tomorrow. It has been a marathon. I'm beat.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

some ones going to be very happy when they get your crew with all the upgrades
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I hope that they find us. It has hidden secrets that only we know. They will be amazed at all it REALLY has.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

You did leave one of your cards in the glove box, right?

What is this I come to the site to look at a picture of this thing and you don't even post any. Whats up with that.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ckholloway wrote:You did leave one of your cards in the glove box, right?

What is this I come to the site to look at a picture of this thing and you don't even post any. Whats up with that.
I left cards everywhere.
One stashed in the owners manual. Two in the lower console and one behind the back seat.

I'll head out and take some pictures. I've been busy loading up my stuff and getting the heaters working/installed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Image Image

This one has more options than any I have looked at. A 1 owner vehicle from California.
Power windows
Power heated leather front bucket seats
Deep tinted windows
Remote entry
Body colored wheel opening
Running boards
Power sun roof
Auto temperature control
Light sensitive mirrors rearview with compass and temperature, side with indicators , active tracking and courtesy lights. Body colored inserts
Illuminated sun visors with mirrors
G80 posi traction
4.10 ratio
Power pedals
Hyd power brakes
Active brake control
Cruise control
High capacity Air cleaner
4L60E
Built in Silao, Mexico
17x7.5 aluminum sport wheels
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Two speed auto transfercase
LT package
Front fog lights
Body color grille
S band digital audio
AM/FM/CD multiple disc radio
Homelink
Steering wheel controls
Rear seat ear phone jack and control
Premium Bose sound system
GPS
Onstar
Tow hooks
Trailer hitch package
HD trailer provisions
Engine block heater
145 amp alternator
Z71 offroad package
Bilstein shocks
Skid plates

Monday I will know about my programmer, exhaust and keys. It will take quite a bit to get this to the point that I had the last one.

I can already see that the front hitch is going to be easier than the S-10. The Laptop mount, not so easy, but "do-able".

The cabin heater and block heater are all tied together and working. I pulled the Diehard Platinum from the trailer and put in in the truck. I'll get a new Diehard Platinum for the trailer in the spring. The YellowTop went with my old truck. Still a poor battery when compared. They resist charging. It takes a long time to charge them back up and during daily driving there is just not enough time to fully recharge them.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

looks like a full size version of are crew cabs
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The front suspension is stronger for sure. The rear is coil in this and it has a rear sway bar. That rides nice, but with the one piece body ,m I doubt that it has the articulation that we are accustomed to.

The sides of the top have tool boxes. That is nice. All my stuff from my toolbox is in there now.

Laying the back seat down there is room for us all to sleep inside. 8' bed enclosed under the cover.

I need to eyeball some roof racks and fuel tanks. I'll probably move the spare either to the trailer or up on the roof. That will leave room for an auxiliary tank underneath. I am fairly sure that I can "Y" the filler tube on this one. That is a way down the road project though.

Programmer, exhaust, VHF radio, lift and tires are on the short list.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

What kinda lift are you eye balling?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will be doing Ford F150 Torsion keys on the front and probably 1.5" coil spacers on the rear.

The axle half shafts are actually upward right now. There is only about an inch of adjustment left in the current keys. The Ford keys are clocked differently and should give me all I need.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Does the bed still open up into cab like the first gen Avalanches? Sharp truck, I like that they got rid of all the cheap looking plastic panels on the older models. These trucks have all kinds of hidden compartments and nooks throughout the bed and cab. We always have to use the K-9s when we pull these over.....
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

I'm glad you didn't get the Avalanche with the plastic all over it. It looks good. I can't wait to see it after your modifications.

So are we changing the name of the website to AllChevyCrewCabs.net? :wink:
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

border man wrote:Does the bed still open up into cab like the first gen Avalanches?
Yes it does. The rear window stows in a rack on the rear of the cab and then folds down. Take off the rear cover and it is wide open 8' bed.
I am told that with the sun roof open and the rear window out it is like driving a roadster.
14x4 wrote:I'm glad you didn't get the Avalanche with the plastic all over it. It looks good. I can't wait to see it after your modifications.

So are we changing the name of the website to AllChevyCrewCabs.net?
I don't think so, however the Avalanche forum needs help. It is in a sad state.
Lots of people here went to fullsize. Tahoes, Trucks, and Avalanche. It would not be fair for me to be the one who opens it up to all those. If there is enough interest and members who want to maybe we could spin off another forum? Someday. In the mean time, I'm happy to keep going with what I know here. I have lots to learn modding the Avalanche.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Congrats on the new rig looks sharp. Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the thread. Power-plant size?
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:Power-plant size?
5.3L flex fuel ready.
I hope that I can wake it up to the standard that I was used to. My old truck had much better throttle response and acceleration. This thing is a dog off the line. I really thought that the 4.10 gears would make it snappy. Boy I pitty the 3.73 gears if they are worse.
The catback really helped the 4.3L, I hope the Cherry Bomb catback will do as much for the 5.3L.
I don't expect much from the programmer. I am looking at it more for the mileage , tire size and transmission functions.
knowing what I learned from the intake on the last truck, I am VERY hesitant to alter it much. I may do my own pipe and call that good? If I do decide to change it Volant may be my choice? That is a very long way down the road.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Sharp looking truck but I didn't think they put the 4L60E in the Avalanche. I thought it would have the 4L80? Especially when matched with the 5.3
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The 4L80E only came in the 3/4 ton and larger. Our 4L60E is in all the 1/2 ton trucks and even the Corvette. Little differences, I am sure, but all the same 4L60E base.
I have no idea if the vette servo , longer pin, or billet fourth are need in this version. Right now I just want to improve the line pressure a little. Maybe firm up the shifts a little.
Out of the box it feels better than the slush box my S-10 had. hopefully I can find the secret to long life for it as well.
It does need to be serviced. I'll likely do that in the next few weeks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

Very nice looking. I am trying to access the website so I can get to my pricing on your ecm controller now. The site is down and says to try in a few minutes. If I can come up with something I will shoot you a PM here.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is cool.

For those who do not know you, I'll introduce my local aftermarket parts Guru ... Corey.
Worth asking anytime you need parts. If he can help he will, and if he can not get the pricing he will let you know.
Thanks!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Good looking rig. I hope it serves you as well as your old one!
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

No problem at all. Thanks for the intro.

Like was said above I will do what I can to help out. My pricing is not always the best because I am not summit or jegs, but I will do everything I can to be fair and if I can't come close I will be the first to let you know you need to look elsewhere.
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

PM sent on pricing.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

What is the new 6 speed that is in the half tons?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:
5.3L flex fuel ready.
I hope that I can wake it up to the standard that I was used to. My old truck had much better throttle response and acceleration. This thing is a dog off the line. I really thought that the 4.10 gears would make it snappy. Boy I pitty the 3.73 gears if they are worse.
The catback really helped the 4.3L, I hope the Cherry Bomb catback will do as much for the 5.3L.
I don't expect much from the programmer. I am looking at it more for the mileage , tire size and transmission functions.
knowing what I learned from the intake on the last truck, I am VERY hesitant to alter it much. I may do my own pipe and call that good? If I do decide to change it Volant may be my choice? That is a very long way down the road.

My Tahoe Is The 5.3. But I Have The 3.42 Gears, (To Be Changed Next Year). For The Intake I'm Running A AEM Brute Force, And A Corsa Sport Cat Back. I Had My Programming Done By Blackbear Performance. I Met Justin For A Tune When He Still Lived Here On The East Coast. My Truck Gets About 15.5 City And 18MPG Highway If I Keep It Under 70.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

green02crew wrote:Sharp looking truck but I didn't think they put the 4L60E in the Avalanche. I thought it would have the 4L80? Especially when matched with the 5.3
They Did Build Some 2500 Avalanches They Had The 8.1L And The 4L80e :rock:
Jim

Post by Jim »

gocntry wrote:
HenryJ wrote:
5.3L flex fuel ready.

My Tahoe Is The 5.3. But I Have The 3.42 Gears, (To Be Changed Next Year). For The Intake I'm Running A AEM Brute Force, And A Corsa Sport Cat Back. I Had My Programming Done By Blackbear Performance. I Met Justin For A Tune When He Still Lived Here On The East Coast. My Truck Gets About 15.5 City And 18MPG Highway If I Keep It Under 70.
My 5.3 Tahoe is much quicker than my crew. Mine has 3.73 gears and is AWD and really goes. I just got back from a 700 mile trip last night, got just shy of 21 MPG on the highway and around 17.5 mixed city/suburban.
I lost one mile to the gallon highway going to the 20" wheels with 55 series tires but gained it back with the SLP cat back duels, with a Flowmaster 70 muffler.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I did the quad plus two mod today. 2 diodes and I have the high beam + low beam + fogs on when I hit the high beams. So easy. Plug-n-play. Wish I had thought of it.

Husky liners on board. Thanks Corey!

The BullyDog tuner is installed. Not much done with it yet. I'll get it dialed in the next few days. F150 keys, roof rack and hardware are in the garage. Rear spacers arrive tomorrow. Hopefully the lift goes on in the next couple days.

It will be a couple weeks for the exhaust , if it ships when they said it should.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

wow your fast already doing mods
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

michaelhrgn wrote:wow your fast already doing mods
It is nearly as bad as the S-10 crew cab was stock. It looks like a 2wd. That should change soon as I adjust the nose down rake and lift it a little.

All this was expedited by the lousy tires on it. It needs new shoes. That means it is time for bigger. That means I need a way to recalibrate the speedometer. The same old story, one mod begets another.

I do miss my old truck and I'll get this one there, hopefully sooner rather than later.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Cool truck, I mean suv, or is it both! :thumb: Is pewter your favorite color or is just coincidence that you ended up with the same color? I really like the 5.3. It reminds me a lot of the old high winding 327's from the 60's. You will have to do quite a bit to that somewhat small V8 to make that heavy Avalanche seem as fast as your old CC since it is only 1 liter bigger than the 4.3. You already know its the same the old story, (power to weight ratio). GM performance parts has a cool 5.3 crate motor with an upgraded cam that IIRC puts out over 350 hp. A small Kenne Bell or Magnussen SC would add another 100 hp or so without changing emissions or gas mileage much unless your in it all the time. Maybe a 6.2 swap? I have considered an Av in the past because my kids are only getting bigger, so I will be following your build up. Anyways, I'm just ramblin on now, so have fun with the new toy, don't forget to post your mod results!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...Is pewter your favorite color or is just coincidence that you ended up with the same color?
The color of dirt works best for me. That way it just looks dull when its dirty. Mostly I wanted to try to match the offroad trailer if I could. This is lighter, but close enough.
...I have considered an Av in the past because my kids are only getting bigger...
Definitely one of my considerations as well. Tach will probably be bigger than we are. That means over 6'. He is really enjoying the extra room now.
I am following in the steps of half a dozen crew cab owners that also bought Avalanche. So far it seems to be the right path.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

Congratulations for your new truck !
Wish you a long and safe road with it !
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

Wow your not messing around are you. I didn't think you would have the bullydog in already considering you just picked it up yesterday morning. I know its not a ton of work to do but didn't you work a 10 hour day yesterday? Or did you maybe come down with a cough after you left my store? LOL
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yep, still burning the candles from both ends. I've been haunting the house and yard in between mods :)
Tonight I'll lift the truck, set up radioactive man and the projection screen, I hope ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

michaelhrgn wrote:wow your fast already doing mods
:eyes: Hmmm, Some saying about the irons and the fire??? Or maybe better strike fast before the wife gets hot! :lol: 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: So far she has been very supportive.

It took about an hour and a half to lift it. Just over two inches in the front and one in the back. tomorrow it goes in for an alignment. Monday the new tires arrive.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

We need pics of the process plz. :)

sent from my android
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I tried taking a picture last night, but failed. Too dark to show much.
I'll try to get a picture this evening after it returns from the alignment shop.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Kwist, this happened fast! Been so busy trying to split 401Ks, changing health insurance shuffling life insurance and celebrating my divorce that I didn't look in often enough. Congrats, Brule! :thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:Congrats, Brule! :thumb:
Thanks man! I really thought you might disown me :angel:

I still miss my truck. Maybe after the tires , roof rack , VHF radio, APRS and Jotto desk it will start to feel a little more like home?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

HenryJ wrote:I tried taking a picture last night, but failed. ................
I'll try to get a picture this evening after it returns from the alignment shop.
Waitimg.. :|
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I've been very busy lately. Sorry it is taking so long.
Here is the ford F150 key stacked on top of the stock key.

You can see the difference.
No problem aligning it back up. I could have raised it another inch or so easily. Plenty of adjustment left. I gave it one inch of rake.

Image Image

Pictures don't show the difference very well. After Halloween I should have time to install the roof rack, and maybe the Jotto desk. Monday the new tires should be here.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

whats the info on the ford t key ? what years do you want and what years chevys do they work on ?? thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like the 1997-2004 Ford F150 keys work in the half ton chevy stuff pretty well. Avalanche , Tahoe, pick-up, Suburban all the 1500 rigs. I am not sure what years are covered. 3/4 ton stuff is different.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
michaelhrgn
Crew
Crew

Post by michaelhrgn »

good info i was thinking of my 97 serria but i forgot i got a dana 44 for it ;)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Cut the stops off the power seats. Now they recline all the way back. Nice 8)

Image Image

New tires have been on a few days now. I installed the modified Suburban roof rack too.
The transmission fluid was pretty dark. I may have been the first to service it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK