overhead console install in 03 ZR2 truck

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

chevynuts
Regular
Regular

overhead console install in 03 ZR2 truck

Post by chevynuts »

I bought a 98 long ohc from a GMC Envoy and would like to test it to see if it works. Can someone walk me thru the procedure?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: overhead console test

Post by HenryJ »

There is a good thread in the electrical modifications forum on installing an overhead console with trip computer. That will give you the pin outs. Without installing the best you can hope for is to test the lights. a 9 volt battery can be used to do that. To know if everything is working you are going to have to install it.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

Re: overhead console test

Post by chevynuts »

Thank you for your help!
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

temperature sensor wire, how to put it thru

Post by chevynuts »

How does the wire from the temperature sensor for an overhead console get into the cab ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: how to put it thru

Post by HenryJ »

Through the C209 connector at the upper left under the dash by the A pillar.

It is already there on the utility body style harness.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

Post by chevynuts »

HenryJ wrote:Through the C209 connector at the upper left under the dash by the A pillar.

It is already there on the utility body style harness.
What does this look like or where is it exactly ? Is it the big bunch of wires ? Do I have to make a hole or just push it thru ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is the connector above and behind the dash fuse block. Check out the adding a trip computer thread. That gives the pin out.

Plug-n-play. The wiring is all there from that point. All you need is the harness up the A pillar.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

HenryJ wrote:It is the connector above and behind the dash fuse block. Check out the adding a trip computer thread. That gives the pin out.

Plug-n-play. The wiring is all there from that point. All you need is the harness up the A pillar.

I already gave him a link to the thread...
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

computer plugs under hood

Post by chevynuts »

Here are my computer plugs. Top blue.. bottom green.Which is connector #4? Is it blue or green? Left or right? Pin #4 is it starting from left or right?
Attachments
The computer plugs 002 (640x480).jpg
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: computer plugs under hood

Post by roadrunner »

I presume you are looking for injector #4 control circuit? That's what it is listed as in the 01 manual. If so it is located 4th from the right top row blue connector as viewed in your picture. #4 pin in the other connector as viewed in your pic is not used. As stated in the 01 OEM manual. The wire coming out the back side of the connector as viewed should be light blue/black.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

Post by chevynuts »

roadrunner wrote:I presume you are looking for injector #4 control circuit? That's what it is listed as in the 01 manual. If so it is located 4th from the right top row blue connector as viewed in your picture. #4 pin in the other connector as viewed in your pic is not used. As stated in the 01 OEM manual. The wire coming out the back side of the connector as viewed should be light blue/black.
I,m sorry I should have mentioned what this is all about. I have an 03 ZR2 and am installing an long overhead console from a 98 GMC Envoy . I need to hook up a wire [dark green/white ] from pin#9 DIC [drivers info center] connector to a VSS connector.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Go to the radio. Much easier. Overhead Console Wiring Harness Instructions
The C2 connector is the one with the VSS signal. Numbered 20-11 it is pin #16 DK GRN.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

One wire to go

Post by chevynuts »

I am installing a long 1998 GMC Envoy overhead console in my 03 S10 and have one wire left to connect . The dreaded VSS wire! I was told it can be got to behind the instrument cluster.Please guide me to it EXACTLY [what color.location etc.]. Please be precise ! Here is a link..Page 28
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9SEfF ... 0MTg1LThiZ jQtNmQxMzIwZDY1ZDBh&sort=name&layout=list&num=50
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: overhead console install in 03 ZR2 truck

Post by HenryJ »

Who gave you that advise? Wouldn't it be better to ask them?

Please keep all this in the same thread. Starting a new thread each time confuses anyone trying to help you sort this out.

Did you try my suggestion on ZR2USA to connect to the BCM?

The BCM C2 connector (LT BLU) Top numbered A1-A12, bottom B1-B12
You want B1 DK GRN/WHT Vehicle Speed Signal

The Vehicle Speed Signal in the instrument panel cluster connector is:
Pin A4 DK GRN Circuit number 389 Vehicle Speed Signal

- ThunderII KE7CSK
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

Post by chevynuts »

HenryJ wrote:Who gave you that advise? Wouldn't it be better to ask them?

Please keep all this in the same thread. Starting a new thread each time confuses anyone trying to help you sort this out.

Did you try my suggestion on ZR2USA to connect to the BCM?

The BCM C2 connector (LT BLU) Top numbered A1-A12, bottom B1-B12
You want B1 DK GRN/WHT Vehicle Speed Signal

The Vehicle Speed Signal in the instrument panel cluster connector is:
Pin A4 DK GRN Circuit number 389 Vehicle Speed Signal
THANK YOU !!!!! Without guys like you I would have my electrical finger up my ass! I looked at the BCM before and the wires were really crammed in there! I went with your 2nd suggestion because of space and VOILA !!!! I have it hooked up and working with only one goof.I am sure its because "I GUESSED" with one wire [my mistake]! I have DIC pin #14 [ battery positive voltage] to my radio plug B# 1 which I was sure was ok. Then I hooked dome harness plug "C" [fuse output battery] to the same radio plug B#1 !!Now my light in the cosole [the big one with the screws under is on DIM when I put the rear console lights on [the round ones].Should I disconnect the 2nd wire [dome harness "C" ??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

chevynuts wrote:Should I disconnect the 2nd wire [dome harness "C" ??
Yes. It sounds like you may be overloading that wire.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

Post by chevynuts »

Just to keep the info simple without a lot of reading. The VSS wire is connected to the green wire [back of speedo plug] .Info thanks to Henry J. The temperature sensor wire is easiest to get into the cab thru aerial grommet on passenger side floor.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If anyone else considers this , they might look closer at connecting at the BCM. It is located at the floor in front of the HVAC ducts. Much easier to access than removing the instrument cluster. Class 2 serial data is also available there as well for those installing the trip computer module.

- ThunderII KE7CSK