Avalanche help!

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Avalanche help!

Post by roadrunner »

Ya know if you add many more "extras" to that avalanche you might as well just put wheels under your house and pull it with you when you go off-roading. lol Just havin fun pokin at ya.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That IS sort of the idea. Should the house no longer be a viable option we have all we need to carry on with some sort of comfort. When the gear gets to the point that a motel seems a little less attractive, I have it just right. :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

I haven't been able to post but I have been keeping up on my phone with what has been said. I thought about the 33" option. That doesn't sound that great to me. I understand that I would have more tire options and I also understand that tire prices would be a little less. However you also end up with a smaller sidewall which is not something I want, also I already have a rediculous amount of fender clearance and if I go to a smaller tire it will just make that worse. I do completely appreciate all the thought going into the tires but I still think my best option is to stick with this size and raise it another inch in the front. Then I should have all the clearance I need with (maybe) a little trimming. At least thats what I'm going to try. Lifting and lowering the front is no big feet so if I can't get some movement that way then the conversation about the 33's will be back on the table for discution. I won't buy tires until I get it lifted and get it to stop rubbing.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds good Corey! I'm just throwing options out there and stuff to think about.

Now, where are you on the choice of tire? Are you buying online or locally?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

I would really like to buy local from one of my own customers but I can save well over $200 if I buy online. I am not sold on any particular set of tires yet. I started looking at 325/60-20's which gives me the hight I am after and yet opens up a couple for tread options.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ckholloway wrote:............ I can save well over $200 if I buy online.........
Brule can tell you that sometimes $200 isn't much when it comes to getting a bad online purchased product replaced locally. Off the top of my head, I think I spent six months, a few vacation days, hours on the phone, many emails and a bunch of frustration to get 2 bad BFG AT KOs replaced that I purchased from Summit Racing. My locals flatly refused the BFG/Michelin corporate customer service department to replace them despite, the warranty. I live in a small town that has a major interstate running through it. I pity the family on vacation that has a BFG/Michelin tire issue and ends up here for help.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I bought four of my tire online and one locally. If I had a problem, I had the receipt for the one with a problem, and I am sure it was the one purchased locally ;)

The last few sets were purchased locally. They were able to come close enough to matching online pricing. Corey is sort of in the same boat as I , in that he has a very good relationship with the local dealers. The biggest hurdle here is if they carry the brand that ends up being the best choice.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

F9K9 wrote:
ckholloway wrote:............ I can save well over $200 if I buy online.........
Brule can tell you that sometimes $200 isn't much when it comes to getting a bad online purchased product replaced locally. Off the top of my head, I think I spent six months, a few vacation days, hours on the phone, many emails and a bunch of frustration to get 2 bad BFG AT KOs replaced that I purchased from Summit Racing. My locals flatly refused the BFG/Michelin corporate customer service department to replace them despite, the warranty. I live in a small town that has a major interstate running through it. I pity the family on vacation that has a BFG/Michelin tire issue and ends up here for help.
If I had that kind of trouble with a local tire store honoring a brand name warranty they are a dealer for I'd do considerable bitching to that tire maker to try to remove their dealership for that brand of tire. After all, if they only want to warranty what they sell they are not doing the tire manufacturer any favors and it would be better if they could not "fly" under the banner of that tire maker. Mostly giving them a black eye as noted in your case Reed. :rant: Over.
Personally I have bought many tires (20-30 in the last 5yrs alone for my many vehicles) online with no problems. Not saying you can't have any. Just saying I have had excellent luck doing so. 8)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:I bought four of my tire online and one locally. If I had a problem, I had the receipt for the one with a problem, and I am sure it was the one purchased locally ;)
Count yourself lucky Brule. Around here they record the serial numbers from the individual tires (as they used to at the dealership I worked at years ago) and if they don't match you've got a problem. Oh, they'll warranty the tire but they're less than happy to do so and if there's any doubts about the deal you don't get the benefit of the doubt. :(
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It wasn't just one BFG/Michelin dealer it was 3! I was in direct contact with the corporate office and handed the phone to one owner thinking that they would yank their product line from him. He just told them that it wasn't worth the trouble to fill out the paper work to warranty the tires. They never did anything to him and he still carries them today. They finally told me to just find a 4th dealer, buy new tires and fax them my receipt. Then they mailed me a check.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

roadrunner wrote:...Around here they record the serial numbers from the individual tires (as they used to at the dealership I worked at years ago) and if they don't match you've got a problem. Oh, they'll warranty the tire but they're less than happy to do so...
fortunately like you I have had no problems with my "mail order tires" , I never had to test my "plan".

We really need to take up a collection and buy Reed some shells for that shotgun. Those ducks seem to always be circling him. :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yeah, and they seem to be extra large and healthy. Never heard of using double 0 buckshot on waterfowl but in Reed's case might be a good idea! :lol: 8)
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

Ok Brule 2 trips to Bosie and back under the new bully dog running the drive coach and pulling down 13.4 miles to the gallon at the tune of about a half a tank. Thats not to bad giving that I have it set on the performance tune. I did change the shift though, I have it shifting at the stock shift point but I have the firmness set at performance. In town economy I'm sure will not yeild anything close to highway economy.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like a pretty fair start. The muffler and intake might help those numbers.
Did you check the speedometer with the GPS yet?
Have you played with tire pressures?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

No, neither. I had intentions of checking the speedometer against the gps but forgot the gps LoL, tire pressure is a good idea and yet at the same time never crossed my mind.
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

Thanks again Brule. It handles like a completely different rig now, and not one noise coming from the chassis on the way home.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:rock: Fantastic! If we see any issues we can add a strap from the bottom of the axle housing up to the bracket to reinforce it some more.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

I suppose that would work but I can't see it ever really having a problem again. I'm just glad we caught it. I was already to point the finger at the shocks and head home until I got them ordered. Luck of the draw I guess that I decided to rock it side to side before jumping off the bumper.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I really should have seen it hanging down sooner. I had tunnel vision for something up front though. I am glad it is fixed too. That could have been a pretty serious accident waiting to happen. I feel much better about that truck now after a "crawl through" :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

I do also. The only thing that bummed me out was I had hoped we would be done before night fall because I was going to take a picture or two of them both sitting side by side.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Plenty of time for that :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

yes there is.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote::rock: Fantastic! If we see any issues we can add a strap from the bottom of the axle housing up to the bracket to reinforce it some more.
:?: Maybe I'm a little dense here but I'm a bit lost on this one? Noises caused by??? Add a strap to correct ???? issues? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry, and now the rest of the story...
His Avalanche had a clunking noise. The sort of noise our Tbars make when dry, a loose shock with the over size aftermarket holes, a muffler bracket bumping something, or the T-bar crossmember bumping the frame.
The sound was under foot and not the common column intermediate shaft rattle. We lubed sockets, ball joints and looked things over good.
His truck has what we think is a 6" Superlift, so much of that system was suspect. I found the torsion bar drop bracket might have been making contact and thought for sure that could be the issue. No luck. All the lube and grease did not change it. Tightening shocks and brackets, no help.
Finally I noticed the panard rod mount on the rear axle was broken off and hanging on the e-brake cable. I felt kind of dumb. Last week I had noticed that bracket and the "chicken s**t welds", I should have looked at that as a suspect, but did not. My focus was up front.
He had mentioned that the rear felt mushy , but we were both leaning toward the rear shocks being the problem there as they were definitely mush. I really like the HO Bilsteins, but those Bilsteins were special made for that lift kit and they are GONE!

Our Avalanche 1500 uses a four bar with panard rod coil sprung rear suspension. The lift has a bracket that bolts to the stock panard rod mount on the rear axle raising the mount for the bar 6". That is lots of leverage and at some point the bracket broke off the rear axle. It had been sort of welded back in place by a novice with a wire feed welder. Globbed in a few spots and no penetration. The area to be welded is under the pad for the spring and there is less than 1/2" clearance. No way was a wire feed going to do a good job in there. It was hard enough using a stick to arc weld it. About 1/3 of the welding was done blind. I am pretty sure that I did a better job this time.
We ground off the old welds and welded it back together. I added a plate to the top to reinforce it and a piece to the side tying it to the sway bar bracket. Much better than before, but thinking about bullet proofing it last night I could have added a strap underneath.

I am glad that we got it fixed, not only for the safety of friends, but also so we are not trying to fix this 200 miles from nowhere without adequate tools to recover the vehicle. That IS where this sort of thing tends to happen. That could have been a very scary problem if running off camber , or in a hard corner. Four bars straight back don't do the best job keeping the axle under the truck.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

When he says that there was 2 gobs of weld what he really means is there was 2 different tack welds that looked like my dog put them there. It was ugly. I'm no welder by any stretch of the word but I am pretty sure I could have done a better job then they did. Brule however did a great job. I took it out this morning and dominated a couple snow hills just to see if I could break it before I put my wife back in it for the week and it still holds strong with no bad noises.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Ahhhhhhh, Thanks for the clarification. Makes much more sense now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My Avalanche has a HUGE blind spot behind and I want to take the pressure off my spotter when hooking up to the trailer. Having the ability to monitor the trailer will be an advantage too. I installed a Peak PKC0RB Back-Up Camera with a 3.5" Monitor

This is supposed to be a wireless system, but that is a bit of a stretch. Two wires for the display to connect to a power source. Then a long set of wires to the wireless transmitter from the camera and from the transmitter to a power source. Another six feet of wire and it would no longer need to be wireless. I wired mine in to an ignition source so that it comes on with the truck and remains on while it is running. The kit is designed to wire the rear camera to the back-up light circuit. That way it comes on in reverse. I wanted to be able to check back there anytime needed.

The camera is set up with a license plate mount.

The kit includes some angled shims to adjust the angle upward or downward. I used some double sided foam emblem adhesive tape to better secure it to the plate and seal out debris and then mounted it with the plate screws.

The display I mounted using a surplus ball and socket mount I had left over from another project. It is sturdier and mounts with screws and the doubles side adhesive.

I chose to mount it lower so that it would be out of the windshield and somewhat shaded by the laptop.

The camera uses a 110° lens and has a pretty good field of view.

Image Image

It does have reference lines that can be turned on or off. Night vision seems to be very good. With the illumination of the back up lights the field of view is visible.

Rumors I hear say that by 2013 rearview cameras on the back of vehicles will be the norm rather than the exception, even if it is not mandated. I like it so far. We will see how well it holds up.
Price on these has really come down. I wanted a "budget" system, but large enough to be usable. I thought wireless would be the way to go, but I'm having some doubts about that being critical now.
Mine was purchased through Amazon for just over $73 , which is less that the smaller version was available locally.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Nice, my uncle has that one, or a similar one on his cargo van.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally made it to the low fuel light:

(cruddy cell phone pic)

564.9 miles when the light came on. I filled up at 569.6 miles. The main tank took 27.2 gallons to fill it. That leaves me about 4 gallons. That is a comfortable cushion. I can see 600 miles being possible. The auxiliary tank was indeed empty taking 18.2 gallons to fill. Total fill from the onset of the low fuel lamp illumination was just over 45 gallons.

Mileage on this tank was 12.5 mpg. Lots of winter driving conditions and warm up idling time. A good worst case mileage scenario.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Brule,
I noticed in one of the pictures that your Avalanche has the factory 7 pin RV trailer plug. I replaced mine with one made by Hopkins (40955) that has the 4way flat connector beside the 7 pin port. It plugs in, no splicing. Just drill 4 holes for the screws and throw the supplied bracket in the junk drawer. Mine came from Walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-40955-Rep ... B0002RNS8C

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good to know. My boat trailer uses the flat four. I have been using a plug in adapter. I'll have to keep that in mind. THX

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

Well its been awhile since I posted. Got the exhaust finished a couple weeks ago bullydog all dialed in it would seem. Looks like its going to pull down about 17mpg on the highway. Respectable I think for what it is. Got my tires in today also. Nitro mud grapplers, there not on yet but I have them.
Brule they are sitting in my office if your interested in a look see. They look huge not being on the pickup. So big in fact I had to role one outside to compare.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'll have to swing by for a look'see :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

I'm not a huge fan of back up cams, but in your case it looks pretty cool! :)
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am now a huge fan. This thing is a great improvement on the black hole that is the back of this truck. I have it on all the time and a glance back from time to time is nice.
Backing up it helps line up and visibility behind is fantastic.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally took a little break and threw a website together: BLT Offroad

It should keep some of the adventures gathered.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Finally took a little break and threw a website together: BLT Offroad.............
Excellent!!!

:thumb:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Needed a way to mount under the back seat.

Hinged to lift up for access to the under side. Hopefully this will work to mount Molle (PALS) gear.

Also added a Mount for the machete and shovel in the back

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Another piece of the puzzle: Brakes.

The newer models received upgraded front brakes in the GMT900 vehicles. The rotors are one inch larger in diameter. An easy bolt on upgrade.
I went with local "performance parts" from NAPA. The application that I used was a 2007 Tahoe.
Eclipse reman calipers with brackets, Reactive One slotted bidirectional rotors, Adaptive One ceramic pads. The total came to just under $420

Some comparison shots:

Brackets and to rotors in the background

At first I thought that the caliper pistons were smaller. In the first shot it looks that way, but the second shows the larger piston of the new caliper. Very deceiving.

Image Image

A comparison of the pads shows only a small increase in contact area. Most of the swap benefit must come from the mechanical advantage. The rotors and pads will be the rest of the improvement.

Reports are that 17" wheels are the smallest to fit.

You can see that any bigger than this is not an option.

I have had only limited testing with these rotors in the fleet. They do bed in pretty easily and evenly. It is a little too soon to say just how much of an improvement they will be , but with the "rose colored glasses" still on, the improvement is noticeable. Less effort to bring this thing down. It feels much better.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally a warm day.

Blacked the B pillars.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Picked up a matching 17" aluminum wheel for my spare at the local salvage yard for $50 a few days ago. Today I stopped in and found a half tread 285/70-17 Wild Country AT tire for $7.
I now have a correct size spare for the Avalanche secured up top.
60 days out for the Confluence trip.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Awesome build, Brule!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Loaded light :)
Image Image
Headed out for a spring ride into Leslie gulch tomorrow. We will probably enter through Succor Creek canyon.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

400%-500% average snowpack this year and an upcoming 300 mile offroad adventure was enough to spur me into finding a way to carry the Fiberglass sand/bridging ladders on this truck. We are likely to find drainage's cut deep.
Carrying the spare underneath the back end is not really going to be an option now that I have a matching 285/70-17 spare. It will continue to ride up top. That freed up the space under the back for the ladders.

Image Image

I used the same spare tire winches that came off the old truck. The brackets needed a little BFH massage to get the angle right and I drilled one 1/2" hole for the Avalanche frame. Other than that it took very little work. They tuck up pretty nicely and offer a shield for the auxiliary fuel tank too.
I hope that I never need them, but it is nice to have them along again.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Nice choice in the Cherry Bomb muffler! I had one of those for a while. Great rumble sound! :thumb:
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Under heavy articulation my rear tires were still rubbing the gap guards on the inner fender. I had heated and massaged them for more clearance, but they were still too close for comfort. I had plans to upgrade the rear brakes to ReactiveOne slotted rotors and AdaptiveOne ceramic pads, so this was the time to install 1.5" rear wheel spacers too.

These are hub centric and shipped to my home for $69.99 a pair. I purchased them from ebay seller cjbargains. Nice product and a reasonable price. In this application the hub-centric design offers a better match to the wheels mounting surface. Wheels studs are matched to the stock size.
Installing them required cutting/grinding off 1/4" of the pilot on the axle wheel studs. The tip would protrude to interfere with the wheels mounting surface without this modification.
The spacer hub to wheel center hole was a snug fit. I may regret not cleaning them up better and adding a little anti-seize?

All done and a few days on them now. I like them. Maybe slightly wider in the back than I would have preferred, but not too bad.

The tire still has about 1" coverage at the top. I have a couple good test trips scheduled this month so I will get a chance to give them a workout and see how well they work.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Plan "B"

Post by HenryJ »

Last weekends trip showed me the KLR is too heavy for the trailer. That means it must go in the truck. It is too long to fit , midgate up in the back. That means I had to devise "Plan B".
Pulling the trailer with the stock tailgate down is not an option as I am sure that I would damage the tailgate with the trailers draw bar.
A rack to extend the bed 14" for the rear tire of the KLR is what I needed.
This uses stock hardware and can be swapped out easily.

Image Image Image

This is a little over 2/3 the length of the stock tailgate and sits about 8" higher. 24" between the TW200 and KLR650 should be enough room so that is how I spaced the ladders.

Image Image

With the cables dropped the rack lays down almost 8" lower than the stock tailgate. I'm not real sure how I will raise it and hook the cables, but I suspect that a couple ratchet straps will work to pull it up into place.

It will raise, but it is well below the latches so it would be secured with straps.

I think this will work to haul two motorcycles in the back and still pull the trailer. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out in a couple weeks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
riceburnr2005
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by riceburnr2005 »

looks good!!
U.S. Marines
2003 CC LS, indigo blue, Spectre Cold Air, OBX throttle body spacer, descreened MAF, hunter bull bar, BAJA off road lights, 15x7 Crager soft 8 wheels, 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, cranked TB's, Daystar 2 inch shackles, 2" PA body lift, 1.5 inch spacers in the rear, Access TonnoSport Tonneau cover, reese hitch, carbon fiber front chevy badge, Lund bug deflector, roof rack from a blazer, Kenwood CD player, JVC 6 1/2 speakers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

riceburnr2005 wrote:looks good!!
Thanks. This sort of thing would be a great option for a crew cab. It keeps that declination angle intact and offers a secure way to haul and ATV or motorcycle.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Made a whirl wind run to Idaho Falls, ID Wednesday. 18.6 mpg highway. That gives me a range just over 900 miles.
I pulled a fair size trailer back in a headwind and it dropped to 13.6 mpg. Maintained 55-75 mph , right at speed limits both ways.

I am pretty happy with that.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I just installed new "Fire Hoses" on my 2005 5.3L yesterday:
Taylor '409' 10.4mm wires #79605

The application did not list them for the Avalanche. I don't know why? A huge difference in comparison:

Makes the little 7mm wires look tiny.

I have run the 409 wires on my HenryJ for years. Outstanding performance. Love'm!

edit, fixed the pics, Brule........rw

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looking good!

Been doing some "free mods" myself lately. :roflmao:

Those pesky ducks will never leave me alone.
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:I just installed new "Fire Hoses" on my 2005 5.3L yesterday:
Taylor '409' 10.4mm wires #79605

The application did not list them for the Avalanche. I don't know why? A huge difference in comparison:

I have run the 409 wires on my HenryJ for years. Outstanding performance. Love'm!

edit, fixed the pics, Brule........rw

I'm looking at these for my hoe
I don't like the colors, are these any good?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Personally, I don't think that you can go wrong with Taylor wires. I don't have any experience with the Thunder Volt wires.
I would not be afraid to try them.
Black was more $$? I don't understand that? We went with blue SpiroPro wires on a firends rig and saved a few $$.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Image
I gotta ask. Is that a water tower behind the basket in the pic or what are you carrying up there?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is my spare tire. I have the old "Duck fabric" cover that I had on my old truck covering it to protect it from UV. It has faded quite a bit.
It also has that zippered storage in it. Haven't needed to use it, but its there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:That is my spare tire..............
Are you comfortable with that location for the spare? Notice any difference in off camber wheeling, handling or overall mpg? Reason that I am asking is that I recently removed my basket and spare from up top for possible mpg gains.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am sure it may play a part in a mpg decrease. I haven't noticed any handling issues during off camber, or during cornering. But I have not pushed either.
I don't want to lose the awning so I'm not ready to pull the basket and the spare just yet. My day may come though. I do worry about the mounts. The threads look to have rusted and last time I tightened them, I suspected that one may have been seized.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.......The threads look to have rusted and last time I tightened them, I suspected that one may have been seized.
I am unsure of which threads that you are referring to but, as you already know...Anti-seize is our friend. I don't know if, there is an answer to it but, as hard as I try, I smear that crap somewhere during it's use. The mess far outweighs the alternatives. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We don't usually need it (anti-sieze) nearly as much as you do. The high desert is pretty kind to us and other than the DOT using calcium chloride de-icer again , rust and corrosion has not been a real problem.
The U-bolts that attach the basket to the roof rack are of a material that rusts pretty darn easily. I had no idea that they were getting this bad. I had to snug them up recently and that is when I found them so oxidized. Probably too late to save them now.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Took a step backward today. The battery combiner situation had been bugging me. The Battery Brain had no way to tell me when the batteries were indeed combined. Remotes are cool and all...but did I really need more of them? The one time I did need it I went under the hood and switched it manually. I had neglected to add a wire that allowed that to work when it sensed low voltage, so I ended up using jumper cables. I did fix that problem, but neglected to turn the manual override off :rant:

KISS.

I replaced the Battery Brain with a $14.99 Dorman battery disconnect switch from Oreiley's Auto parts.

Pull the key and put it in a hole behind the battery. When I need them combined, put it in and turn the key. I know they are combined. No remotes. simple.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Figures. My Platinum Battery Brain created more issues that it solved. The remote was a a PITA. I had it on my key chain and I can't even estimate the times that it discoed the battery when it was in my pocket. The idea was good. Maybe in another 5-10 years a similar and better approach will be discovered.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

So anyone with a battery brain want to donate it to me? LOL I am sick and tired of having dead batteries in the Tahoe and would love to disco the reserve battery on calls
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How about adding the switch like I did above?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A little "mad money" came my way so it was a good time to upgrade the mirrors to towing mirrors:

Image Image
These are aftermarket FIT system mirrors purchased on Amazon.com $309 for the pair. Heated, electric adjustable with turn signal. I will miss the auto dimming my old set had and I had to add an LED puddle light.

Image Image

The 12 volt Prewired Superfulx 4 chip LED floodlights were purchased from http://www.oznium.com . I had to salvage two wires with terminal ends and add them to the new mirrors. Drilling one 3/8" hole in the underside of the mirror mount and glued in place. They work as well or better than the stock puddle lights.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Likey!!
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

Nice

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Night shot of the puddle lights:

Image Image

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ckholloway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ckholloway »

Im digging those more and more.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

What light are you using for that??? Will that fit in an s10???
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are LED floods.
HenryJ wrote:The 12 volt Prewired Superfulx 4 chip LED floodlights were purchased from http://www.oznium.com . I had to salvage two wires with terminal ends and add them to the new mirrors. Drilling one 3/8" hole in the underside of the mirror mount and glued in place. They work as well or better than the stock puddle lights.
I think they could work for an S-10. They could be wired into the courtesy light / dome light circuit like I did the flex lights.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I like them...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Those look identical to whats on the new 2500hd trucks.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

border man wrote:Those look identical to whats on the new 2500hd trucks.
Yes. A very good copy of the HD towing mirrors.

- ThunderII KE7CSK