Upgraded Video Monitoring System

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Upgraded Video Monitoring System

Post by 04crewvt »

Well here is the final setup of the "backup" camera system. It now has a front camera, rear camera, 8" VGA LCD Touchscreen Monitor w/ remote. It can also have a third camera and a computer hookup. :D

ImageImage
ImageImage
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Sweet!!

I have wanted to do the same thing, but with three camers, one on each side for looking in the blind spot (and hopefully riged to switch to the proper one with the turns) and one for backup.

Of course I also want to do a carputer.

More info on that monitor is needed
What/Where/How Much, being the minimum.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Monitor- Newision (formerly marketed as lilliput) picked up from E-bay for 175 with shipping. Has inputs for 2 RCA, 1 S-video, VGA computer, sound (built in speakers) it is a 4 wire resistive touch screen and comes with a stylus. Imputs must be switched either by front buttons or from the remote, It will not auto switch to do that you would need a video input unit with multiple triggers that then hooked into one of the video inputs on the monitor. They are out there I just didn't want to spend the money on one.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally someone else to crown "Mr. Gadget" :mg:

Really does look 8) Now get the GPS running on that and you are all set.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The plan is the carputer in the console. I have a console from a 2001 with the cassette deck opening to swap in. then the computer ports will be accessed through that opening. Computer will have the gps software and antenna/pc card. I may also have the software to run the obdII diagnostic and modification software. The S-Video input will be used for a wireless video camera connected to a transmitter/receiver and put on a trailer or RV once I have one. All that will have to wait for another infusion of $ to the accounts Image
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have a 2.4ghz wireless X-10 camera, receiver and everything I would need to add it to the truck. Last time I played with it I attached it to an RC and sat in front of the TV to drive it around :lol:

Seapahn's Blazer was the first taste I had for a camera on the truck. Bajataco's truck is state of the art with five cameras. Way beyond my needs and means. His is set up for some serious rock crawling action.
Yours is somewhere in between.

I think I am past the "need". My wheeling just doesn't require the additional views right now.

IIRC, Seapahn removed his camera after a run through the mud. That would be one of my concerns, as well as brush damage.

Your cameras appear to be mounted in less vulnerable areas. That is definately an an advantage.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Looking good, as always, Brian. You're my hero! A geek that readily twists off wheel studs. The best of both worlds :thumb: :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

That x-10 camera is basically what I will get when I get the camper. Oh BTW the front camera also has infrared night vison apx. 15 foot range. I have to upgrade the rear camera to match.

Hey Reed ever read the Doc Savage book series? I like to think that's a good character to emulate. Sheer size with brains to match.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Upgraded Video Monitoring System

Post by HenryJ »

Are your cameras still working?

I just ordered a wireless back up camera for the new truck. I have a big blind spot back there on this one and my spotter for hooking up to the trailer , leaves something to be desired. This seemed like a good way to keep the peace.

Hopefully it shows up tomorrow and I can see if it works ok.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yup my wired cameras are still going strong, the front one needs to be replaced some day it lost the cover glass some time ago but it still works so i have not bothered. I did up size the monitor to.a 9.2 after the first one got stolen when the truck was broken into a few years ago. It has really saved my butt a few times from backing into small cars hiding behind me.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The back end of this Avalanche is way worse than my S-10 was and it feels twice as wide. I think the camera will be a good addition. I ordered the Peak PKC0RB Back-Up Camera with a 3.5" Monitor

Do you still have your monitor mounted in the same place?

I am thinking that I will mount mine in about the same place. Kind of under the laptop.

Are yours on all the time? This one is set up to power on with the reverse lights. I am considering wiring it to come on with the ignition instead.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I wired mine to be on all the time and just shut it off when I don't want/need it. I upgraded to a heavier flex mount but it is still attached to the same place under the front bolt of the passenger seat. The monitor sits so it's top edge is just below the HVAC controls.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Holy resurrection, Batman!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You're tell'n me. I had a tough time finding the thread. I find it hard to believe that it has been this long.
Mine arrived today. We are headed down to the shop to install it now.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All done. Mine is on with the ignition. If I want the display off ,I turn it off at the monitor. As with everything else, I have yet to see it in daylight.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:.............As with everything else, I have yet to see it in daylight.
If, it's like some of the dates that I have had, consider yourself lucky!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

F9K9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:.............As with everything else, I have yet to see it in daylight.
If, it's like some of the dates that I have had, consider yourself lucky!
Well did not turn out like one of your dates :evil: I went to bed with an eight and woke up with an eight :lol:
This was supposed to be a wireless system, but that is a bit of a stretch. Two wires for the display to connect to a power source. Then a long set of wires to the wireless transmitter from the camera and from the transmitter to a power source. Another six feet of wire and it would no longer need to be wireless. I wired mine in to an ignition source so that it comes on with the truck and remains on while it is running. The kit is designed to wire the rear camera to the back-up light circuit. That way it comes on in reverse. I wanted to be able to check back there anytime needed.

The camera is set up with a license plate mount.

The display I mounted using a surplus ball and socket mount I had left over from another project. It is sturdier and mounts with screws and the doubles side adhesive.

I chose to mount it lower so that it would be out of the windshield and somewhat shaded by the laptop.

The camera uses a 110° lens and has a pretty good field of view.

Image Image

It does have reference lines that can be turned on or off. Night vision seems to be very good. With the illumination of the back up lights the field of view is visible.
Mine was purchased through Amazon for just over $73

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Looks good
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb: