dash speakers

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

bmann 12
Crew
Crew

dash speakers

Post by bmann 12 »

how much modification would be involved to put a pair of 4x6 speakers in the spot of the dash speakers?
"It'll buff out"
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: dash speakers

Post by rlrnr53 »

It would take major reworking of the defroster duct as it is very close to the top of the dash.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have 4x6 Infinity Kappa plate speakers in the dash of my ZR2. They fit with a little trimming. I have a Kenwood h/u powering the dash speakers and front door speaker and a Kenwood 4 channel amp powering the rear speakers and sub. The factory 8 ohm speakers are horible!

Steve
bmann 12
Crew
Crew

Post by bmann 12 »

how many watts are the factory speakers?
"It'll buff out"
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

bmann 12 wrote:how many watts are the factory speakers?
Not sure of the exact watts for each speaker, however most factory 8 ohm speakers are low watts. My Infinity's are all 2 ohm high watts. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm medium to high watts. Even the cheap aftermarket speakers are better than the factory speakers!

Steve
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

killian96ss wrote:
Not sure of the exact watts for each speaker, however most factory 8 ohm speakers are low watts. My Infinity's are all 2 ohm high watts. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm medium to high watts. Even the cheap aftermarket speakers are better than the factory speakers!

Steve
I'm not sure of the problem you have with your factory speakers but mine are clear as any I've heard and I can't crank 'em full on with the windows closed or I'd be deaf. :rock: :whew:
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Horsehammerr wrote:
killian96ss wrote:

Steve
I'm not sure of the problem you have with your factory speakers but mine are clear as any I've heard and I can't crank 'em full on with the windows closed or I'd be deaf. :rock: :whew:
It's all about sound quality. The factory speakers sound terrible compared to good aftermarket speakers! It really is a night and day difference!

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
Horsehammerr wrote:............I'm not sure of the problem you have with your factory speakers but mine are clear as any I've heard and I can't crank 'em full on with the windows closed or I'd be deaf. :rock: :whew:
It's all about sound quality. The factory speakers sound terrible compared to good aftermarket speakers! It really is a night and day difference!

Steve
Steve, I must be exactly like Horsehammer. We're not exactly audiophiles. :roflmao:
An audiophile, from Latin audio[1] "I hear" and Greek philos[2] "loving," is a hobbyist who seeks high-quality audio reproduction via the use of specialized high-end audio electronics.[3][4] Audiophiles prefer to listen to music at a quality level that is as close to the original performance as possible using high fidelity components.
The stock system suits me just dandy.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I take it neither one of you have ever owned a nice car stereo? The difference in sound is amazing. I've been into car stereos for about 22 years now and have never been satisfied with any factory stereo. Ther are a few car manufacturer stereo upgrades that sound nice, but not very many. When you have a well balanced system you hear the music the way it was intended to be heard, nice crisp highs, clear mids, and deep lows. It really doesn't matter what kind of music you listen to. For example, I don't like country music, but it does sound a lot better on a good system. I think a lot of people are annoyed by loud rap music and their gut rattling bass so they stay away from stereo upgrades, but like I said no matter what you listen to, it will sound much better on a good system. Wouldn't it be cool to pull up next to that guy playing some annoying rap song and completely drowned him out with some Hank Williams Jr or some Creedance and laugh your @%# off?

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Steve is right on the money.

I would suggest going with a 4x6 plate component set of speakers. No modifications to get them in, and a decent pair will sound excellent.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My stocker stereo is good!

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

F9K9 wrote:My stocker stereo is good!
Am I going to have to drive across country so you can hear how your stereo should sound? :blink: Do you enjoy listening to music?

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:.........Do you enjoy listening to music?

Steve
Of, course. When I want reel quality, I sit back and listen to it at home.

rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I agree with Reed, I like the sound of the stock radio!
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Adding just a little more bump/bass with a Bazooka tube worked for me :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK