overhead console w/ trip computer

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sorry I am still not clear here.
Did you swap out the factory harness from the C209 connector to the display?

You mention swapping pins and wiring colors that did not match. I will need a little more clarity on what you have done to add your trip display. I am not sure where you came up with the needed extra wires for the trip display.

Mine was plug-n-play. the only changes I made were do to the Audiovox entertainment console.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mulrich

re

Post by mulrich »

the trip computer came with the wire pigtail, now the wire colors and pin outs on the wire pigtail that came with the trip computer did not match the wiring digram for the trip display for example on the car it had the 6 wires for the six wire harness it says temp display is light green and white, on the pigtail that came with the trip computer it was brown. so idk i just put my old console back in for now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: re

Post by HenryJ »

mulrich wrote:the trip computer came with the wire pigtail...
Does it look like the bottom harness in this picture? (stock Bravada harness)

... now the wire colors and pin outs on the wire pigtail that came with the trip computer did not match the wiring digram for the trip display...
Which diagram are you referring to?
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm looking to bid on this one from S-10 warehouse...Please don't bid against me, Thanks
ebay item

I really want the homelink, my Bravada has me spoiled
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

On this mod if your gas gauge doesn't work will that make the computer not work either? Does the overhead console get a fuel reading from the gas gauge connection anywhere? My gas gauge is shot so this could be pointless for me and I'm not about to replace it but if this would work with something else being faulty in my fuel level sensor that would be a nice replacement. Also I only want to make the computer show ranges (if it works) so that only requires running one wire down to the obd2 right?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have been told that it does not rely upon the fuel gauge sender for the mileage and range readings.

Not really sure where you are going with the one wire connection. To work everything must be wired properly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

hmm so if it doesn't rely on the fuel sender than what does it use? How does it know when the tank would be full? Just curious.

The wiring I think I only need to connect an additional 2 wires if I am just replacing the computer? One for an additional power and one to the obd2 port? Perhaps I read wrong? I don't have a use for the homelink or anything just the computer that is if it does not rely on the gas gauge!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Serial data , VSS, RAP, dimming signal, power, ground, ignition. At the very least. Why do it half way? Seems a waste not to do the job right.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Wouldn't those already be included in the current harness that I have attached? I just want to add the fuel mileage feature. Doing some research online it looks like it might be tied into the fuel sender though. That would be how the computer could tell how much further you have left depending on how much gas you have. If this is so than it would be useless to me.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You need to replace the whole upper harness from the C209 connector. The wiring is not there stock in ours.

You are going to need to repair the fuel sender anyway. The fuel pump failure is not far behind.
Jigg wrote:It works off of the same data that my trip OHC does, and that still works flawlessly even with the bad fuel sender i have. I use the trip OHC function that shows fuel used as my gas gauge now.
dc4bs wrote:It does NOT look at the sending unit data at all. That's why it works.

It monitors the fuel flow rates via the ECM (Engine Control Module - I think that's where it gets em anyway).
Scangauge is another option.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The scangauge is really cool but prices are holding me back for now. I do like the transmission temp feature though so it is another thought.

The fuel sender is pricey and it has operated like this for almost 2 years now and 20k miles so I'm not too worried about it yet. Thats awesome news that it doesn't use the fuel sender! Thanks for that info, it makes this mod seem more realistic to do now. But how does it know how much fuel you have in the tank?

The only thing I am confused about, and I'm not trying to argue here, I just am looking for clarification but are these directions incorrect for wiring the features I am looking to gain?
Tom Masterson wrote: It turns out doing the trip computer is a piece of cake! it only takes two more wires with only one needed to be fished to the dashboard. The second taps into the constantly hot wire of the console - the orange one(s).

The key, on this year anyway, is the computer gets its data from the serial data bus which connects various components to the main computer. The most convienent access to this system is at the Data Link Connector under the driver's side of the dash. This is the plug a tech would attach his code reader to. On my truck's connector, starting on the top left counting accross to the right, it is pin number 2 - with a purple wire going to it. I just unscrewed the connector and spliced in the purple wire.
There is a nice yard here near my school that I may have to go shopping in if this all pans out!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have no idea where , or who's quote that is. I do know the VSS is critical.
Like I said, why not do it all and correctly?

I would not count 100% on it not needing the fuel sender to calculate correctly. I have no confirmation of this. Personally I would think it does need it. I have been TOLD otherwise. I have not tried it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The quote came from the first page of this mod, it was from Tom Masterson, someone you had quoted from when posting years ago now... Logically it does make sense that the fuel sender would be needed. If I can come across a new computer I will try it, I have already been to two salvage yards in the area but to no avail.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Got lucky today @ pick and pull. Got the complete C-209 harness out of a 2001 Bravada (had short console), with trip computer, Auto Dimm Mirror, Column cover,Wood Grained Center console Top piece, both door Switch covers(wood grained), and a couple of parts for CinChouse's Grand Am for $24.00.

The trip computer had a small breadboard with 2 silver rectangular IC's on it, mounted to the right of the console. I would assume it's probably some sort of temp sensor for the Automatic HVAC on the Bravada. So I grabbed that too. May go back for the Control Panel for the HVAC. Also had pristine Tan leather Seats with 6way, power lumbar and heat (DR & PASS!) I can always have them dyed if I don't like the color in the Truck(Indigo with Dk Graphite). Definate possibility! Now to wire it all today after I get up.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

SWAP IS DONE!

The little breadboard is actually part of the compass. It needs to be oriented sideways to the vehicle (Using the cable, push it into the space behind the pass side visor with the connector facing the centerline of the vehicle and the Breadboard on top.) Otherwise calibrations will be off and the compass will not work correctly.

I spliced the orange power lead using solder and heat shrink, and ran the serial 2 cable full length along with the Pin "B"(C-209) power lead for the mirror. All other leads plugged right in.

I also spliced in the power leads for my trans temp gauge to the "BRN" switched 12V lead on the "A" Pillar. Again Solder and heatshrink.

All told it took about 3 hours for changing out the head unit in the console, modifying the wiring, proofing it out before re-assembly, and installation. I would imagine that 3-4 hours would be a good average time, taking your time and keeping a clear head(absolutely needed or the computer will SCRAM!).

Parts for mod= $24.00
time needed=3-4 hours.
Difficulty on 10 scale. 7-8 (computer system mods)

It's kinda interesting to watch the instant economy go from 4-5mpg on acceleration to 45-50mpg on long deceleration. Now to get it to stay up on the higher end all the time. On the trip to get my kid from work tonight, the average mpg (after zeroing it out) climbed up to 20.2 and hovered between 19.6 an 20.2. 95% interstate. We'll see how accurate it is onthe next couple of fill ups.
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

On the 2nd fillup. MPG is staying in the low 15's.

NOTE: For those with the question....YES the computer uses the fuel sender signal for fuel level. It goes into ---mode on RANGE and FUEL USED when the LOW FUEL LIGHT goes on. Avg MPG is within .10mpg against trip odometer and fuel receipt.

Considering how RARE these things are, any that you do find will go like free poontang in NEW YORK. Make sure you're ready to pull one if you find it on a hunch.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Hahaha I love the analogy! I broke down and purchased a scangauge instead because I'm impatient and didn't want to wait/search for a donor vehicle.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It has been brought to my attention that the reference I made to what I thought was the harness:
GM PART # 12102629
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
GM LIST: $74.27
OUR PRICE: $37.14
DESCRIPTION: CONNECTOR

Is in fact just the connector. The harness is very expensive and has been discontinued.

It does take quite a bit to remove one at the salvage yard. There are no yards that will be winning to take the time to remove it for you. Too much work for too little gain.

If you do not have a "pick-n-pull" yard, the factory harness may not be an option. If you do they are not too bad to remove. Bring a long slender standard screw driver, small pry tool or larger screwdriver. Phillips to drop the console and visors.
Most yards remove the instrument cluster and column, so that stuff has been done for you. Pulling the door weatherstrip, pillar cover and headliner down gives you the access you need. Be sure to grab the dimming rear view mirror when you are there. The harness includes that wiring too.

The late model S-series are showing up in good numbers now. Availability is getting better.

If the used harness is not an option adding the two needed wires may be the best choice. We really do need to clarify that part of the mod.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

those links are awesome...
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

so ive got this file for wiring an overhead console and im confused about one wire...

Electronic Control Unit Output - 12 Volt - Inadvertant Load Control

the one in red...what does it do/mean?
heres the file http://www.mediafire.com/?yu34jmbtt0j
thanks in advance for anybodies help

edit:
what does RAP Fuse Supply Voltage mean??
is that the ignition wire?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

RAP = Retained Accessory Power it's the circuit that allows our lights,windows ,radios and such work after the ignition is off. I think there's a separate fuse for this in our driver's side fuse panel but can,t find a diagram right now will try to find later if no one else has info before this evening.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

cool...now i just need to find that wire and the other wire and im set.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

All the wiring needed is at the C209 connector. That is where all the factory connections are made for the console.

I see no reference to the "inadvertent load" listed in the factory manual for the dome harness to body wiring on that connector, so I can't help there.

C209 (dome to body harness)
A DK GRN RAP fuse supply voltage
B LT GRN Back up lamps supply voltage
C YEL Trip computer/Nav Class 2 serial Data
D DK GRN Inside Air Temperature Sensor (auto air)
E GRY Instrument Panel Lamps fuse supply voltage
F BLK/WHT Ground
G LT GRN/BLK Outside air temperature sensor signal
H BLK Ground
J BLK Sensor return (auto air)
K ORN Courtesy Lamps supply voltage
L WHT Courtesy lamp switch signal
M PPL/WHT LED dimming signal
N DK GRN/WHT Vehicle speed signal
P DK GRN RAP fuse supply voltage
R ORN Battery positive voltage
S BRN Ignition 3 voltage

- ThunderII KE7CSK
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

i got it fixed...i guess after a little reading and talking to the local tech at the GM dealership he told me that all the functions of the console use the VSS in some form or another. the temp does to adjust the reading accordingly. the compass uses it to adjust its reading based on speed....and the trip/MPG uses it with the Class 2 data to get correct readings at different speeds.

my problem was that my data and VSS wires came unhooked when i was putting it in...
thanks for all your help.
Tad S
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Glad you got it working. I too have heard that the VSS signal must be connected for it to work.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

see i thought is was only needed for the temp...but i guess i thought wrong. but now i know and so will anybody else who reads this thread. i hope its eliminates any headaches for ppl.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

Has anyone been able to contact Arisa??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

SleeperSS wrote:Has anyone been able to contact Arisa??
Not in several years.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

HenryJ wrote:
SleeperSS wrote:Has anyone been able to contact Arisa??
Not in several years.
That's too bad. I spoke with him on ZR2.com about a harness, then the board vaporized. I like the idea of a plug and play harness. The wifes Blazer2 has temp/compass/sunroof only. I have a console that has everyting that I'd really like to put in. Looks like I'm on my own... :(
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Read this thread. All the utilities are plug-n-play just like mine. It is the trucks that need his special harness.
Your Blazer has all you need at the C209 connector. All you need is the factory harness up the A post and across the front of the headliner.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

HenryJ wrote:Read this thread. All the utilities are plug-n-play just like mine. It is the trucks that need his special harness.
Your Blazer has all you need at the C209 connector. All you need is the factory harness up the A post and across the front of the headliner.
Where exactly is the C209 connector??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

SleeperSS wrote:Where exactly is the C209 connector??
The connector is the bottom of these harness:

You really need to read and re-read this whole thread. Everything is there, though it may be a little hard for see, it is all in this one thread. Start at the beginning: Post Feb 24 2006
HenryJ wrote:C209 (Dome harness to body harness) is the connection for the harness. It just below the base of the A post. By taking loose the fuse assembly and raising it there is room to reach up through from the opening behind the parking brake release in through the dash. A screwdriver inserted through the side of the dash may assist in guiding the connector for removal and installation.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

Sometimes reading owns me...I took a look at the current console in the Blazer and it looks like I'm going to have to swap a couple different connectors in the new console as they are different. It will get there...thanks...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The connectors at the console are different. You need the harness that I pictured above. It has the correct connectors for the DIC console and goes from the console to the C209 connector in the dash.
It was $38 at the dealer. It may no longer be available. Your best bet will be a salvage yard harness.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

I suspose I could remove the pins from the current connector and place them into the new one...of course I'd still have to add the 2 extra wires...correct?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yep. They don't just sell the connector and you have to tear just as much open. That is why it is just easier to replace the harness. Then you get the wires for the auto dimming mirror too.

Don't forget you will need a sensor too. A trip to the salvage yard will get you all of that for $5. That is what I did for a friend who has yet to install his trip computer and harness ;)

edited....f9
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

Sensor for what??...the auto dimming mirror?? The salvage yards around here seem to be on a mission to retire with every sale. I'll keep my eye on Craigslist though.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The temperature sensor that mounts on the hood latch support, but I guess you already have that, sorry. Make sure the short console that you have doesn't use an external compass sensor. Some did.

Build a good relationship with a local auto recycler and it will pay you back many times over.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SleeperSS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SleeperSS »

I'm good with everything the new console has. I'm going to use the existing bracket that incorporates the compass even though the new console is complete. Thanks for all the help...I'll get back to if I have any questions.
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

Re: overhead console w/ trip computer

Post by chevynuts »

First I would like to commend you for getting the COMPLETE harness out ! It was freezing when I tried to get it out of a 98 Envoy. I have an 03 s10. I ended up cutting the wires. Now I need ONE wire left to hook up! The speedo cluster apparently has a VSS connection. I don,t know what this cluster looks like or what wire to connect to . Can you help?
chevynuts
Regular
Regular

Post by chevynuts »

chevynuts wrote:First I would like to commend you for getting the COMPLETE harness out ! It was freezing when I tried to get it out of a 98 Envoy. I have an 03 s10. I ended up cutting the wires. Now I need ONE wire left to hook up! The speedo cluster apparently has a VSS connection. I don,t know what this cluster looks like or what wire to connect to . Can you help?
Well, HENRY J you did it ! My overhead conole is working! Thank you very much! Sorry for being a pain,I couldn,t drive my truck until it was working.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Glad you got it working!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Hey all, haven't been on here in a while, but do check in from time to time.

Just wanted to say for anyone who has a 1st gen this is doable in these as well. I found an 89 baja a couple years ago and have one installed in it and it works great.

Still have my crew and have acumulated 4 other s10 in the past few years, seems I lke the specialty s10's I have a 91 Cameo, 89 Baja, 94 SS, 95 ZR2
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

I'm trying to put a non mode console in my 02 blazer. The parts vehicle i'm using is a 01 blazer that has lighted mirrors,dimming mirror and onstar. The harness console harness I removed goes up the drivers side pillar and connects to the lighted visors,compass/temp display,auto dimming/onstar mirror,what I believe to be the onstar antenna and goes to the rear to the onstar unit.

Can i just remove the onstar wires from the harness and get rid of the section that goes back to the onstar unit? Or is it possible to put the complete onstar setup in my blazer?
'02 2dr 2wd 5 speed Blazer (new daily driver)
'82 S10 383ci (neglected toy:(
'92 Sonoma 4.3 auto (For sale)
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

Well, I just ended up cutting the onstar wires out of the harness and all i have left to do is hook up the outside temp sensor. Whats the easiest way to wire it? should i run a wire all the way from the display outside to the sensor or what? Mine has no dummy plug on the rad support.
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Yes you will have to run wires out to the sensor.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

what are the wires in the red connector on the left for?
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

Well, i've figured out that my compass/temp display has the compass sensor built in. The "mode" display i bought off ebay is supposed to have a external compass sensor which is what that red plug is for. CRAP...
Now what?
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

overhead console w/ trip computer

Post by Smallblock »

I bought another "mode" display,plugged it in and it worked fine. So I had a bad display. I still don't have the compass plugged in though. Seems to work fine anyway. It just displays "c" for a few seconds after the key is turned on.
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"C" = Calibrate
Drive in circles :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Smallblock
Regular
Regular

Post by Smallblock »

That's not gonna fix it. Lol I don't even have a compass sensor to plug in.
'00 S10 2.2 Auto (sold)
'82 S10 305ci (wrecked)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Astro module. Finding a sensor and properly orienting it might be a hassle. Keep watching for another module I guess?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
urimashe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by urimashe »

anyone now if this works with the 04 CC?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

urimashe wrote:anyone now if this works with the 04 CC?
What works?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
urimashe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by urimashe »

the overhead console mod, but i like my reg one better, id rather not know what millage im getting.
gremlin1984

Post by gremlin1984 »

ok i have a 04 CC zr5 and it had a basic console (compass/temp). I have read almost every forum i can find on the topic (cc forum, s10 forum, zr2, ect) Iv looked at all the diagrams for wiring. i have hooked up everything according to all of the diagrams and i have the 5-10 sec then values go --.

S10 Plug
Dark green
Black and White
Dark green and white
Light green and black
gray
purple and white

Bravada Plug
yellow
black w/white stripe
green
green w/black stripe
gray
brown
orange
purple

wires are connected as follows 04 s10 then the bravada wire.

drk green---yel access fused
blk/wht----blk/wht ground
drk grn/wht----drk grn VSS
lt grn/blk --- lt grn/blk temp
gry---gry dimmer
ppl/wht---brn interior lights
-------- orn tapped the lights over head for constant batt pwr
-------- ppl plugged in the OBDII brick under the dash per Arisa

I have swapped the VSS grn and the OBDII ppl (no change)
I swapped the gray and brown (no change)
I verified that the wire in the OBDII port is making contact with a prong on the Male bar in the jack Per Arisa's post.....

any ideas......

Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Shouldn't the yellow be class 2 serial data?
Purple? Purple/White maybe? (LED dimming signal)
Brown ignition voltage 3

C209 (Dome harness to body harness)
The body harness connector is oriented on it's right side and lettered J-S on the right from the top down. H-A is the left or bottom row.

A - RAP fuse supply voltage - DK GRN
B - Backup lamps supply voltage - LT GRN
C - Trip Computer/NAV class 2 serial data - YEL
D - inside air temperature sensor signal (auto AC) - DK GRN
E - Instrument panel lamps fuse supply voltage - GRY
F - Ground - BLK/WHT
G - Outside air temperature sensor signal - LT GRN/BLK
H - Ground - BLK

J - Sensor return (auto AC) - BLK
K - Courtesy lamp supply voltage - ORN
L - Courtesy lamp switch signal - WHT
M - LED dimming signal - PPL/WHT
N - Vehicle speed signal - DK GRN/WHT
P - RAP Fuse supply voltage - DK GRN
R - Battery positive voltage - ORN
S - Ignition 3 voltage - BRN

All color remain the same through this connection.

Keep in mind that Arisa's harness is for a truck that does not include the correct wiring already. The utilities have the correct wiring in the C209 connector and the above colors may be correct.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have two uncut wire harnesses if anyone needs them.. This makes it plug and play...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo88 wrote:I have two uncut wire harnesses if anyone needs them.. This makes it plug and play...
That is THE best answer!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gremlin1984

Post by gremlin1984 »

well the yellow would be the DATA if it were from a 2000ish donor vehicle, but the issue is GM used a different color code of wires on the 90 style bravadas thus giving the above color code on the plug. So you r correct in saying the yellow is the computer connection on a 2002 ish but on the 97 bravada yellow is purple. ok ill look into the body harness for the trip computer rather then trying to pick it up at the OBDII port like Arisa did. I do understand that he did not have one and he started from scratch, but I thought that the computer would/could use that info, maybe not.

Jongo I thank you for the offer but im only missing two wires from my current harness one of which is the constant power (already solved) and the other is the data line (might be the issue), but with one wire i dont have to dismantle the dash like i would with the new harness. Again i appreciate the offer.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Swapping out the harness wasn't all that bad a job. Sorry I can't help if those are color coded so differently. You already know more than I in that case.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

You don't dismantle the dash to replace the harness eather...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
gremlin1984

Post by gremlin1984 »

Thanks guys for your help!! im gona have to get a lil dirty i guess.....
gremlin1984

Post by gremlin1984 »

Hey guys just an FYI seems as though the older units (98 back) will not work with a 99 and newer computer, even thought the same connections are made to the same locations..... ( the 1 and 0 do not compute) :) so if anyone ever runs into this issue again advise them to get a newer console. thanks again for all of the help!!!!
Last edited by gremlin1984 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

gremlin1984 wrote:Hey guys just an FYI seems as thought the older units (98 back) will not work with a 99 and newer computer, even thought the same connections are made to the same locations..... ( the 1 and 0 do not compute) :) so if anyone ever runs into this issue again advise them to get a newer console. thanks again for all of the help!!!!

That might make sense, since the 98, 99 and 00 and up gauge clusters are NOT compatible with each other. Even thought they look exactly the same and they will plug in. I tried my 2002 crew cluster in my friends 98 blazer and it will turn on show you the gauges correctly but the lights go totally whacky and the odometer and shift indicator do not work correctly.

So basically if you have a 98 you need a 98 cluster, a 99 only takes a 99 cluster and 00 and up is all the same but not compatible with anything from a 98 or 99.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
desertpatriot

Post by desertpatriot »

hi all, i'm rather new at this and could use some advice. thanx!!!

-have: 00 S10 LS ext cab w/ NO power windows, locks, mirrors
-objective1: install OHC w/ 'us/met' and 'mode' buttons for outside temp, trip meter, mpg
objective2: install power windows, locks, mirrors
need: advice on wireharness replacement swap

questions:
-before scouting around the wrecking yards for parts what year blazer/jimmy/bravada is recomended for wireharness replacement?
-do i need a new BCM as well?
-will keyless entry work with any BCM?
-is there someone on the forum who can make me such a harness?
Last edited by desertpatriot on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertpatriot
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

desertpatriot wrote:hi all, i'm rather new at this and could use some advice. thanx!!!

-have: 00 S10 LS ext cab w/ NO power windows, locks, mirrors
-objective1: install OHC w/ 'us/met' and 'mode' buttons for outside temp, trip meter, mpg
objective2: install power windows, locks, mirrors
need: advice on wireharness replacement swap

questions:
-before scouting around the wrecking yards for parts what year blazer, jimmy, bravada is recomended for wireharness replacement?
-do i need a new BCM as well?
-will keyless entry work with any BCM?
-is there someone on the forum who can make me such a harness?
Any console will work for you since there is no plug-play harness for the trucks. You are going to have to run each wire and find the right places to connect them. Arisa is long gone. His directions are saved, but you are on your own for figuring out how to install one.
Utilities, including the crew cab have the correct forward harness for adding an overhead console. Trucks and extra cab do not. Totally different harness in the front half.

A BCM swap will not be an easy one. They are VIN matched and dealers can not confirm that they can flash them to accept changes. They can only program to stock VIN options.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
desertpatriot

Post by desertpatriot »

thank you for responding so quickly. finding an overhead console with correct wire hookup is not the concern. the primary interest is finding the correct wire harness / bcm and having the OHC, power windows, locks and mirrors function properly. again, will any wire harness from a 98+ blazer/jimmy/bravada suffice?
desertpatriot
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

desertpatriot wrote:... will any wire harness from a 98+ blazer/jimmy/bravada suffice?
No. You will have to create your own and graft it into different connections on the pick-up harness.
Utilities (blazer, crew cab) use a completely different chassis harness.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
desertpatriot

Post by desertpatriot »

i was afraid of that. should you find someone who has 'grafting abilities' then please send the link my way -i'm willing to pay $ :)
all the best
desertpatriot
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
desertpatriot

Post by desertpatriot »

"If you have any questions, would like to order a harness, or host this file on another server please email me at Nwhitaker@AstoneFabricators.com or ArisaLT4@hotmail.com"

wow! sounds like i need to contact Arisa. but as stated earlier, Arisa is long gone
questions:
-what happened to Arisa?
-has anyone recently sent an email to address listed above?
-should i make an attempt to contact Arisa or is it futile
desertpatriot
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It has been years since anyone tried.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
desertpatriot

Post by desertpatriot »

what's your opinion of Autoloc in Portland, OR in regards to having a custom made wire harness?
desertpatriot