Installed new headunit and now two speakers don't work?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Installed new headunit and now two speakers don't work?

Post by Cherokeez71 »

I just installed a new headunit and now the passenger dash speaker and the passenger front speaker don't work. they worked fine before the head unit. Do those Two speakers run on a fuse? Everything is plugged in the right way.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Installed new headunit and now two speakers don't work?

Post by killian96ss »

Did you use an adapter harness or wire everything directly? Most adapter harnesses will make an aftermarket head unit power all 4 front speakers (dash & front door) on the front 2 channels because the CC and other S-series are a 6 speaker system. The factory dash speakers are just small tweeters that are connected to the front door speakers.

Steve
Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Post by Cherokeez71 »

I use the adaptor
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

What kind of connectors did you use?

I hate what I believe to be called "scotch locks".

My guess is you used those pieces of junk, and do not have a good connection, possibly cause they didn't go through the insulation. Been there, done that...

I'm also gonna guess that you put it all back together, before noticing the problem. Also been there and done that...
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Unless there is something wrong with the new head unit, the problem has to be a bad connection at the adapter. Pull it all apart and check that connection real good. Make sure none of the pins inside the plugs are bent or have loose wires. Test it again before you put everything back together.

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Just a check here, if you bought one of the fast adapters where you buy one end thats your head units plug and the other end thats your cars plug, and you literally plug them together with two plugs in the middle, then cut the two plugs where the two harnesses meet and hardwire it. I have seen them have crummy connections and not work properly. I believe Best Buy carries these or will use them on installs. If you just bought a normal metra wire harness and attached it to the one that came with the factory stereo then your good, just do as the others said and check your connections. I solider mine together and use shrinkwrap to protect the wires for best connections.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

I would recommend against cutting into any factory wiring for the radio. The 2 front speakers should be wired together on each channel, so if ALL your front speakers aren't working they are very likely not hooked up. Check and double check your connections and I am guessing you will find a loose connection or one you missed all together.

Before you do that, double check your fader is not set all the way to the rear.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Just a reference I am not suggesting cutting factory wiring. I have seen these devices where its (Factory OEM plug--- One cable----proprietary universal plug>< proprietary universal plug----Another cable----Aftermarket Radios rear plug). Its a device where you buy both pieces and plug them together according to your vehicle and the brand of aftermarket radio you purchased so you DO NOT have to cut and splice any wires. HOWEVER. the two Proprietary universal plugs i mentioned in the middle will have shotty connections, and cause you to loose speakers or power which is why I suggest if you have one of these cut them off and solider together.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've always had good luck with Crutchfield adapters since they are very well made and vehicle specific unlike most of the universal auto parts store adapters. Crutchfield gives you all this kind of stuff for free if you buy the stereo from them.

Steve
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I wouldn't say "free". Crutchfield is usually higher, at least in my experience. You are paying for their excellent customer service, at least thats how I look at it. I've never had a bad experience with crutchfield.
Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Post by Cherokeez71 »

All my speakers work except my passenger front door and the speaker on the passenger dashboard. I've double checked every wire and they all are plugged in.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Cherokeez71 wrote:All my speakers work except my passenger front door and the speaker on the passenger dashboard. I've double checked every wire and they all are plugged in.

Plug the stock unit back in, does it work then?
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I only see 3 possibilities. The new stereo and/or the adapter is defective, or the wiring to the front right speaker is damaged. Are you positive those speakers were working before you pulled the factory stereo?

I had some weird stereo issues when I had my CC. With the factory stereo and later with an aftermarket stereo sometimes the rear door speakers would cut out. I never did find the problem, hopefully you will find yours.

Steve
Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Post by Cherokeez71 »

Yeah all the speakers worked before the headunit. I'm thinking of returning this headunit and replacing it with an other one.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Bench test it first, IF you know how to do that without frying it.
Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Post by Cherokeez71 »

No I don't.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Bench testing is easy. Get a computer power supply or any 12V power supply that can give you 5-10 amps. Your not looking to blast music so you dont have to worry about cranking it up. Connect the B+, Ignition wires to the positive lead of the supply and then the black negative wire to the black ground. Power it up and connect a speaker to the right front speaker leads of the unit and try to tune the radio. If you get sound/static then there is a problem with the trucks wiring.

Also on a sorta related note the rear speaker issue with the CC trucks is bad plugs in the doors for the rear speakers. I cut mine off and replaced them with crimp on quick disconnects. This has been working flawlessley since I have done it and I can actually hear my rear speakers now in my current configuration.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ApproachMedium wrote:Also on a sorta related note the rear speaker issue with the CC trucks is bad plugs in the doors for the rear speakers. I cut mine off and replaced them with crimp on quick disconnects. This has been working flawlessley since I have done it and I can actually hear my rear speakers now in my current configuration.
Thanks for the tip! Stuff like this should be stickied so that other members can troubleshoot problems more efficiently. It would be nice if each section had it's own common problems & solutions area. It would definitely take some time to put together, but it would also eliminate hundreds if not thousands of posts that members have to search through for answers. You could then delete all those unnecessary posts which would clean up the forum a bit and give back some storage space. Just an idea?

Steve
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

On the VW Vortex forum I am on for my GTI we have a sticky with links to all the DIY threads and mods. Here pretty much most of the common mods etc are on the actual website in their own section. The rear speaker fix should probably be added in to that mix since it is a common issue.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I suggest doing what is mentioned above. Plug the factory head unt back and see if they work. If they do the speakers and factory harness are good. Then plug the aftermarket one in and check all it's functions, fade, balance etc. if the speakers don't work after that, it's simply the head unit is bad or the wiring doesn't done right.

I only use vehicle specific harness's for this, the kind that plug into the factory harness, after you splice all the wires between the head unit and aftermarket harness
Cherokeez71
Regular
Regular

Post by Cherokeez71 »

I figured it out the head unit was messed up.