_STUCKY's junk

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

_STUCKY's junk

Post by _STUCKY »

04 ZR5. So far this is the only picture of this I have at the moment. More to come.

95 Jeep YJ. This little jewel is were STUCKY comes from. Mostly stock, with a spring under 3.5 inch lift. 2.5L, AX5 without 5th gear. The blue TJ is my buddy's girlfriend's. This is in Attica, IN, at the Badlands.

Here is his. Late 70's CJ. It's got a couple things done to it. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958877

87 and 91 K5s.

91 K5. I've had this for 6 or 7 years now. I have broke a lot of things. Chromoly shafts in the front 10 bolt. Semi float 14 bolt with disks in the back. 3.73 gears. Slip yoke eliminator on the np241. 1 inch body lift. Slight fender trimming. 4.5 inch bumpstops in the front to keep the tires out of the fenders. 35x13.50x15 Toyo open county mts on stock wheels and suspension.

87 K5. I traded a running 55 CJ for this. It needed a motor. Well I have a 90 suburban that needed a transmission. 6 days later I was driving it. It's been getting steady doses of body damage since. It's sitting on bald 36x12.50 TSLs. Hacked fenders. Rust everywhere. It currently has a broken ujoint and the outside of the passenger side is not really attached to the inside anymore. Both from jumping dry dams.

91 caprice. Was a local towns old cop car. I paid 250$ for it, put a battery in it, aired up the tires and drive it home. It was ugly. The lights, sirens, PA, wigwags and a bunch of other stuff was left in it.

I have a few others things that I won't bother posting pictures of. 70ish Opel GT, 79 wagoneer, 82 Cherokee, and 90 suburban.

There will be more updates...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: _STUCKY's junk

Post by F9K9 »

Sweet!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
14x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 14x4 »

Damn, you have a lot of things to play with! What do you plan on doing to the S10?
03 ZR5. 4-Linked Dana 44
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Thanks guys. I've been a little busy learning how the interior comes apart on the s10. I just put in a full system that consists of an alpine that I had bought last year, 4x6 Polk plates in the dash, 6.5 polks in the doors, and a bazooka bass tube. It sounds fantastic. I peeled all the Chevrolet and s10 and ls and dealer stickers and all that ugliness off, what a pain, but it's done. Bed liner is sprayed. And the first thing I did when I got it home was take off the steps and bed rails, both useless. I have a hitch to slap on there, but it's not high priority. I also put in husky floor mats.

I plan on getting the 2 inch body lift in the near future and taking the 31s off my yj and putting them on here, maybe with wheel spacers. For the jeep, I have a ford 8.8 and another Dana 30 (stock Dana 30 has a bent c) that I need to order 4.88 gears for, along with new spring perches from http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/ and a slip yoke eliminator for the transfer case. I'll probably find some used 33s or 35 off Craigslist and run them. The "new" Dana 30 has TJ 1 piece shafts in it with the bigger u joints.

Also I'm wanting to get a bed topper for the s10. I can't seem to find anything used and I'm not too wild on the $1100+ I was quoted for a new one.

Other than than, I'm just gonna drive it. Take off plastic crap as I see fit, and drive it...

Oh yeah, the sunroof was put in by " roman chariot". There was an emblem on the tailgate that said " restyled by roman chariot Cleveland-Akron". I haven't found out anything else about it.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So it looks like I'm gonna be headed to Attica again next weekend. I have a dilemma.

Do I take the yj or the 91 k5?

The yj hasn't seen much action since it was up there last fall. I had kinda collapsed the body under the drivers side door and the door wouldn't go back on, so I haven't been driving it. It also has 2 body mounts that are broke off. Mechanically, I trust it, and it probably needs very little. I would be bolting on the 35 inch boggers that are on the blue TJ in the picture above. I can't sleep in it.

The 91 k5 is what I consider fragile. It seems like just about anytime I go play, something happens. It's big, it's bulky, and it likes to get stuck. If I take it, I need to tighten the steering box, change a tie rod, go over the body mounts to make sure they are tight, and figure out why it was backfiring the last time I drove it. I can sleep in it.

I am seriously considering welding the rear end of whichever I decide to take. My tow rig will be sleeping quarters for my co pilot and I, so the k5 sounds more appealing there, as I can, and have, comfortably sleep in it. The last time I had the yj there, I got stuck 4 times in 2 days, the first was in mud about 20 minutes after going in the gate, twice high centered, and once in mud between a rock and a log. The last time I really wheeled the k5, I went on a 1200 mile road trip with no final goal. I ended up hitting up 3 off road parks. I had the tranny pan come loose on the interstate, with no tools, that was great. Then I wound up stuck in a mud hole, almost dark, with nothing but dirt bikes around.... 4 hours from home...but it made the whole trip and stayed mostly in one piece.

My buddy is gonna be taking the caged out CJ pictured above. I expect him to several piddly little problems.

I need to make a choice today, so I know where to spend my time this week. We will be leaving Friday night.

Votes?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

ImageImage
I was trying to go left...

ImageImage
Both of these are at Attica. 1st was right after going in the park, 2nd is a nasty little climb that I'm high centered at the top.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well, after a heated debate, I decided to take the yj. The k5 just has too many little things to address in less than a week. The yj needs much less attention. Also, we are not going to Attica. Instead we are going to Farmington, Missouri, I'm not sure what the place is called.

For the s10, today I got a cable to hook my phone to the cd player...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

The yj got its fender flares pulled, body mounts fixed, and the hole under the drivers side door fixed so the door goes on. The front fenders got the front lip cut off and the sides squished up. It needs the boggers bolted on and a test drive and most likey some BFH action.

The CJ got new bars welded above the seats, new mounts for the new suspension seats and old 5 point harnesses, a grab handle for the passenger, new battery, passenger side firewall replaced, and all of the cage painted flat black. It still needs a little work on the wiring for the battery, a battery box made, front driveshaft made, steering checked, seats and belts bolted in, and I'm sure other things that I can't think of.

The tow rigs and trailers are gonna need a quick once over. I know his trailer wiring needs a little attention.

We have been burning the midnight oil, but we will be ready.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

We left Friday night at about midnight. We rolled into the campground at like 3:45. We left camp at maybe 10 and had somehow managed to get to "the lookout", which was 2.8 miles from the campground, it took 2 hours. In our way was a lot of rocks, big ones. So we go up, we go down, and back to camp for food. Some people on four wheelers ask where we have been and then say that they have a guy in a jeep at the top with a flat tire. Well, I brought a gas powered air compressor.... We go back up, with about an hour of daylight... We found him with twilight fading, aired up his tire, laughed, and drove back down.... In the dark... Dear god.... On the way back down, I started having starter issues. Upon further inspection, I found that the bolts were loose. A socket would have help a lot, but I only had wrenches, so I got it as tight as I could. When we get back down to camp, I pulled up to the guy that had the flat and turned it off to talk. When I go to start it, nothing... Reverse push start down hill..... The solenoid fell off, so I took the truck to get the ONLY starter there was in Farmington. Sunday morning I crawl under there and slap it on, and I found the bolts that held the solenoid on. We head out, with no intention of going back up to the top. At some point I found that the lug nuts were loose, so I borrowed a 13/16 lug wrench from a guy in a Toyota, my lug nuts are 3/4... So I made a very slow trip back to the trailer, stopping every 5 or 10 minutes to tighten them up with.... And open ended wrench. When I get to the trailer, I find that my buddy had already been there and gotten the tools I need. I ended up finding a 19 mm and a long extension and was good to go. Then pretty soon I see a group on four wheelers that we had talked to earlier, and they tell me my buddy is broke down, in a terrible spot, with NO wheel drive... Oh boy... So I spent the next hour or so loading up tools, strapping them down, and finding him. We had no cell service, so calling him was right out the window. When I found him, he was trying to winch himself over a boulder. A suburban full of people had shown up to help. I have no idea how or why that suburban made it up that high, but I'm really glad they did. After some creative winching, backwards pulls, rock stacking, and suburban tree rash, we got it over the boulder. While the suburban was pulling him down the hill, I was tending to a broke down xj that was with the suburban. His 4.0 wouldn't run, we fixed it with zip ties, and he drove out. His co pilot said something I found to be very funny and true for me, " I'm not a mechanic, I've just broke a lot of s###!". Back to camp, loaded em up, and left at about 6.

So I ended up ripping the passenger side mirror off on a tree. Smashed the oil pan, y pipe, skid plate, muffler, gas tank skid plate, and the end of the exhaust. And the starter cost me like $100, but it's a lifetime warranty...

The CJ probably needs a new transmission and transfer case. I also saw that he ripped his soft door.

What a weekend!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

_STUCKY wrote:...What a weekend!
BOY! I guess so. Thanks for the report. 8)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

No problem at all!

I have come to the conclusion that I need to swap in the other Dana 30 and the ford 8.8, buy 4.88 gears and a mini spool, figure out how to make u bolt eliminators, buy a sye for the np231j, buy this flywheel weight do dad so it will lug down to like 2-300 rpms, buy bead locks and 35s, and slap it all together. It would be nice to have a flat belly, too. I got hung up a lot.

Oh and as far as the "off road worthy" thread goes..... I will NOT be taking my CC up there. Fact. But I wouldnt mind watching someone else's CC make the trip. I mean, sheesh, that suburban is a stocker with some like 32x10.5s or something like that and he made it. My jeep has nothing major done to it, it's stock with a 3.5 inch all spring lift kit (stiff stiff stiff) and those boggers. We were talking to a guy that was ogling the CJ and asking questions, when he got done he turned to me and asked what all mine had done. When I told him, he looked shocked that I had made it to where we were at.

Washita has the hardest trails I have been on so far. Attica has a lot to offer, but as far as difficult trails, from what I saw, washita was a lot more of a challenge. It seemed like at Attica, everything has a bypass that a car could drive through. Washita's bypasses, well, sometimes the easy way was pretty gnarly, too.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Ooh yea!

I got a Craigslist Special tonight! I snagged a Leer topper for the s10 for $100. Only downside is its blue. But with the $1100 I was quoted for a new one, minus the $100 for this one, I'll have some money to spare for paint. If it was for one of the k5s or even the yj, I'd rattle can it, but I think I'll just take it to a body shop. Tomorrow I'm gonna find a place to paint it. Pictures after paint.

Also what kind of clamps are you guys using to hold the toppers down with? The ones I picked up didn't fit right...

So the 91 k5 got new tie rods and motor mounts. The drivers side bolt for the motor mounts snapped the head off. It didn't look too pretty. It looked freshly broken, which is odd cause I haven't really thrashed on it since getting the 87.

The 87 got new u joints in the front axle. They were already worn out I'm sure, but I did them in with some hard landings after having the tires off the ground. I would have just let it sit in the corner in neglect and shame, but a few guys wanted to come out and play. I didn't feel that the yj being back on 31s was gonna satisfy me. I did not address the back about to cave in under the weight of the top. I need to take the top off... And find an s10 cab....
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Took the top off of the 87, by myself.

And picked up the s10 top from the body shop.

I also put my hitch on the s10 today.

I just noticed that you can see the Opel gt and what I believe to be an old International in the back.

Edit v2.0: Let's play spot the 84' Dodge half ton.
Last edited by _STUCKY on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Hmm... Looking at that picture gets me to wondering.....

What's the best way to black out my grill? I mean to get rid of the "chrome". I don't like chrome.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pop out the chrome bar, sand it and duplicolor black, then clear coat.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Oh... Yea.... That would work...

I don't trust my paint skills to look very good. But I may get bored in the near future.

So I've got a question for you HenryJ. Where did you get the machete with the case that's mounted to your bed in the avalanche? I like all the nice little touches that thing has. I'd love a machete mounted (cleanly) in my yj.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is a Cold Steel Katana Machete. Next on my wish list is a Ka-Bar Zombie War Sword the green will work well with the KLR :)

Shop around. They can be very affordable.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Jesus Christ! Making hacking down brush look elegant! I think I've seen that green one on a website while looking at AR parts. Speaking of the AR, finally did some of the things I've been wanting to do to it. I picked up an ATI 8 sided aluminum handgaurd, Tapco Intrafuse grip, and a Magpul extended trigger guard. It all started when I went to clean it and realized I had left the dot for the sight on. Just about the only thing I want to do is to find either some iron sights or a scope that doesn't take batteries and like a 1 or 1.5 inch riser. I want to keep it light and simple. No batteries next time...

Before:

After:

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I'm a little bit bored, so I thought I'd post up a little of the history on the 87 k5 and why it has come to be how it is...

I bought the 91 in the summer of 05. It was my first 4x. I had 2 things that I was looking for, it had to be black and it had to be 4wd. Other than that, I didn't really care what it was. When i saw it, it was love at first site. It had a fresh rebuild on the Tbi 350 and a new coat of black. I have learned many things since buying it, and had I known 2% of what I know now, that wouldn't have been the one I brought home. 3 th700r4s, 2 10 bolt rear diffs, the passenger side front axle shafts, many many many stucks, and a lot of other broken parts later, I ended up buying an 82' 2 door full size Cherokee with the intention of off roading it. It had no reverse, which can make a puddle a nightmare. After realizing that that sucked, I gutted it and another 79' 4 door Cherokee. After staring at those piles of parts for a few years, I figured I had better get jeep. I wanted leafs and a 4 banger. If it was good enough for my grampa 50 years ago, it would be good enough for me. Only thing was, it could not be red or yellow. I would have bought a pink or purple one and rattle canned it flat black before buying a red one. I wanted a 95, cause its the last year with leaves. Well after pestering my buddy who had no license and a poorly running 4banger 95 yj for like a year, I finally got the call from him to come buy it. He was hard up for money, and I started low. I ended up getting it for $900. Literally pulled it from his yard to the local mechanic, who popped the hood and 3 seconds later told me that the bolts for the intake weren't there. So a few new bolts and remaned CPU and I was good to go. I think it was like day 3 and I broke the front sway bar mounts. Didn't bother me too much since the front and rear track bars were already ripped from their mounts and the leaves were bent into an S. so less that a week after buying it, I ordered up the lift. It took months to get, and in that time I had completely mangled the front leaves at a mud park that opened up 20 minutes from home. That park also claimed the second tranny in the 91 on it's opening day. So at this point, vehicle less, cause of the thrashing that they have been getting. In comes the caprice. My ex girlfriends stepdad works for a local town. He said they were gonna junk it, but it runs good and he wanted the motor. After a few months of back and forth I got the call to come drag it off. I pulled up to check it out, since I had never seen it (edit: that was the car that pulled me over and gave me my first ticket, illegal u turn), I ended up taking the battery out of the truck I was in to see if it would start, and it fired right up. It had 2 flats, a broken rear window, a nasty looking blue decal, broken brake lines, and plenty of raccoon poop. Glass starts flying forward at like 75+. Fun car. So then the 91 got a stupid amount of money thrown at it, and I babied it while abusing the yj. While the k5 was getting the rear axle swapped over to a semi float 14 bolt out of a 88 work truck (kept 6 lug wheels), a buddy of mine was getting very fed up with his daily driver, a 55 cj5 with no heat or doors, but it had a bikini top. He drove it all winter, and it was a cold winter. I bought it for $600 because he was literally going to drive it to the junk yard and have it crushed. I didn't have the heart to see that, so into my fleet it went. After realizing that that is a very impractical toy for me to have, I was trying to sell it. I hadn't spent any money on it at all except for 2 new low back bestop seats that I got a screaming deal on Craigslist. I couldn't even find an air cleaner for it, which was a huge turn off for me. so the stars aligned when I saw this on Craigslist:

I had already been on the hunt for another k5. The ad said that he wanted $1000 for it, which I didn't have, but I called him anyways to see what the deal was. Ended up talking to the guy for like 2 hours and found out he's a jeep lover. He currently has like a 76ish CJ that he is fixing all the sheet metal on, I was impressed with his sheet metal work. He just happens to mention that he would like to find a running older jeep to tool around in. Ding ding ding! A light came on above my head.

I had acquired a 90 suburban for parts for the 91 k5. The sub had a bad tranny. The 87 k5 needed a motor. 87 is the first year of Tbi in the Chevy trucks and the only year with v belts on Tbi. 88 and up has serpentine belts. I wanted to keep the serpentine so that all parts were interchangeable between the k5s. Other than the t cases (91 is np241, 87 is np208) they started life the same. Day 1:

I had a buddy come over to help, it wouldn't have moved for quite a while if he hadn't. He gave me way more time than I expected, and I think like 5 days after getting it, it looked like this:

Notice it has moved, under it's own power. Exciting! I put new motor mounts, open headers (from an 88-98 Chevy, they don't fit correctly, buy the correct one if you are doing this), and an AC delete pulley.

The first time out led to disaster, but not how you may think...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So I ended up ripping the rear bumper halfway off on some tree roots while going through the creek. I laughed. Then I went up to the shop to torch it off. All goes well. As I'm standing there looking at the k5, I figure I might as well swap the 2 white wagon wheels for the other 2 black powder coated wheels to match the others. Doom followed...

I fought with one for like at least an hour trying to get the bead to seat. I called my brother, expecting him to not answer, and for some reason he was all gung hoe to come help me, weird. So he comes up there, grabs a can of ether, and proceeds to empty what I believe to be half the can into the tire. Now, I've seen this done, and done this 100 times, but it only takes once...

I reached down and lit it with a bic lighter. BOOM!

Next thing I know, I'm like 5 steps back, thinking " YES! We got it!". Then I realize I'm holding my right hand with my left, blood everywhere... When the ether went boom, so did the end of my thumb.

It got squished in between the bead and the tire, breaking the tip, ripping the nail off (I never saw that again lol), burning me from the explosion, and ripping off the skin and my callous that I've worked my whole life to get. Those white wheels didn't seem so bad at this moment. Im almost certain that my thumb helped seal the bead. That pretty much put me out of commission, and I didn't mess with the truck at all for like 2 months.

Then I decided to take the other tire and wheel to town and have it swapped. Cost me 20$. Then the lug nuts came loose and ruined a wheel, the wheel I ethered. So I needed new wheels. Craigslist again for some aluminum wheels. I took them to town and had 2 swapped over, $17 for both. The taking them to town idea shoulda been used from the beginning.

So then it was on to more body damage with the 87, which I call Squishy. The tailgate came off, with a sledgehammer:

Then a tree jumped in my way, I laughed:

Then another, I laughed again:

Notice in those last 2 picture that the floor is mangled, then the top is mangled. I was very impressed with the fiberglass tops ability to absorb trees at speed going backwards.

And that pretty much brings you up to speed on the 87, other than tossing the top off yesterday. I abuse it like it steals from me on a regular basis. I have yet to be stuck in it, which I attribute to not caring about body damage and plenty of go pedal. I have easily taken this, with bald tires, places I have gotten stuck in the 91, with good tires, just because I really let that Tbi 350 roar. I have become quite fond of jumping the dry dams in the cow pasture with it. It sees absolutely no road time, and will never again be a daily driver. Its life span is limited.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Ugh!

Post by _STUCKY »

So the sunroof on the s10 is acting up, again. This time it will lift up, but won't go back. Took it to the mechanic to have them reset it and to show me how, but it didn't fix it. It's scheduled for an AM appointment. They are planning on pulling the headliner out to get to the motor and the switch. This could get interesting. I see a reoccurring problem, possibly a poor judgement call on my part for getting one with a sunroof. I hope they can figure it out within a week, cause Ive got a ticket for Hank III, and I really don't want to have to take the 91 K5 :)
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well, I figured I had better go shoot the AR. I decided to take the 87 k5. Then I thought it'd be a good idea to really romp on it some. Now there is ATF everywhere and I haven't even fired the rifle yet. I may just leave the truck where it is because it's almost dark and there's no one around to pull it... Should have just taken the yj...

Edit: that's not where the truck currently is sitting.
Edit 2.0: yup... Not a drop of ATF. Looks like I'm walkin'...
Edit 3.0: here's where I left it. Don't worry, it's on our property, at the far corner...
Edit 4.0: jeez... Tried to fix the pictures, it just wants to put up the wrong ones. I'll try again later.
Edit 5.0: I give up on the pics. But trust me, ATF was everywhere...
Last edited by _STUCKY on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Hows the thumb??? That hurts just looking at it...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Haha. The thumb is much better. The nail is sssooo close to needing cut. I can't wait! The hospital had to cut a chunk of the real meat off of the joint. I don't think it's gonna come back. It happened 10/25/11.

The hospital basically just cleaned and bandaged it. They set up an appointment with a hand surgeon, who put 2 band aids on it.... I asked if that's all he could do.... He got me another band aid.

Yea last summer/ fall was kinda bad for my right hand. About 6 weeks before the thumb incident, I broke the tip of one of my fingers. We were tightening a huge bolt on our cultivator. We didn't have a wrench to fit, so we had a pipe wrench and breaker bar on it. My brother and I both had our full weight on the bar while my dad was on the other end. The pipe wrench slipped and gravity took effect, smashing the tip of my finger. Pics don't lie:

Oh but it gets better...

The nail didn't fall off, as I expected. Instead, it got pretty gnarly looking. I just let it grow out and was trimming it. One day, the outside ( towards the pinky) pops up, but is still attached on the inside, attached well. So I tried to pull it off by hand, no luck, I gave up. So I cut the nail down as small as I could. It's hard to explain this typing, but when you touch one side of the nail clippers to it, you still have to move the other side. Seemed like I had shaky hands, it was super sensitive, and hurt like hell. I gave up and wrapped it in tape. 2 days later, I get out of the shower and go to put on my shirt. The nail snagged on the sleeve and almost brought me to my knees. So I did the only logical thing I could think of and found some needle nose pliers:

I put these 2 pictures on Facebook... No one said a word...

Now the finger is getting an ingrown nail on the outside. The thumb seems like its growing out just fine though. Weird thing about these injuries, you can't tell from the pictures, but the finger hurt way worse. I think it was because of the pressure on it. The nurse said that the little spot at the end of nail on the finger that bubbled up let the pressure off, but it never bled, so I don't know. She said if it hadn't bubbled up like that, they would have run a needle under the nail to let the pressure off. The thumb obviously had very little pressure on it. The finger was like an elephant was standing on my nuts. The thumb was kind of like " oh my god! Why did I do that?! Stupid!"

Moral of the story: Ether is bad. Ether is very bad. And so is gravity.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Here's the 3 pics I tried to fix in the post above.

1st is just letting it stretch. I was idling, it stopped, I got out to get a picture. Got back in and mashed the pedal.
2nd is fluid every where.
3rd is where I left it.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Chrome don't getcha home!

http://www.s-10crewcab.net/forums/viewt ... f=3&t=5370

I put some tow hooks from an 88-98 Chevy pickup on the front also. I had to drill out the holes and found shouldered lock nuts to put on the bolts that were with the hooks. The original plate from the bigger hooks with the holes drilled and tapped would have worked just fine if I had used a dremil to take a slight amount of plastic off of the plastic skid plate. Since I don't own a dremil, I found some nuts. The hooks were hanging on the wall in our shop, and the nuts were in the bolt bin, so total cost of the beefier hooks was $0.00.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Your grille looks sooo much better.. But is your head lights in right??? They look like the bottom is not in the holes...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Uuuhhh... I uh.... Wanna go look ....

I didn't take the headlights out. I took the grill off, unplugged the turn signals, popped the turn signal housing out, and removed the bowtie. Headlights didn't move. The grill may not have been pushed into all the holes. I'll check in the morning. Maybe it the picture?
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Your headlights have a gap at the bottom and stick up higher than the grill...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I think it's just a shadow. If its not a shadow, then i didn't get all the clips in the holes. I'll check in the daylight...

Edit: F uck it I'm going to look!
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

It looks good though. I like it black!!!!
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well as far as I can tell (with a flash light) its in there properly. I do see exactly what you are saying though. It looks like the lights are high. They are like a hair away from the hood. Maybe they need adjusted?

I do like the blacked out look way better than the "chrome". However, that doesn't match the body. It's close enough that I'll probably never mess with it, but it's still a little off. Maybe it just needs to fade like the rest of the paint...

I'm digging the plain look with it all black and no decals or emblems except the zr5 sticker on the bed and the now red bowtie. I hate stickers. They are meant for the tool box in the garage or the beer fridge ( I have neither lol). Today I saw a dodge ram with big stupid sticker across the windshield that said ......"dodge ram". Like we didn't know so they had to spend more $ on an ugly sticker... :roflmao: :crazy:
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

Lol... I have a black GMC and I replaced my grill with a black one.. I like it all blacked out...
One of these days I will learn how to post pictures on this site....
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

For pictures:

Post by _STUCKY »

I use an iPhone and an iPad. I downloaded the free photobucket app. I take a pic, upload it, put it in a folder, copy the img tag, paste it in the box. It's not to difficult once you figure it out.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Upon further investigation, the headlights are certainly not in there correctly. Nice catch from how many states away? So this brings me to my next question.....

How do I remove the headlight assembly?

I looked... I searched... I'm still scratching my head. Back to the garage...

Edit: haha... Walked in, said what's this do?, bam! Headlight assembly is out. Nevermind
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Make sure you get the lower tab back in the slot when you put them back in :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

That is exactly what was wrong.
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I seen that all the way from Florida... lol
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well, a couple weeks ago I went to the ATM and it refused to let me have money. So I figured I'd see if I could send the 91 caprice down the road and get some beer money. I put a picture on Facebook and had a buyer in about 4 minutes. He came out and bought it for $500, which was a fantastic deal for him. I should have pulled a lot more stuff out of it.

So then, just a couple days later, the guy that I bought the yj from sent me a text that said "I'm gonna junk my truck". My first reply was "STOP!". It's an 89 jeep Comanche, running (poorly). The yj I talked him down to $900, yeah I know I'm awesome. The Comanche, I talked him down to $400.

The jeeps I've owned:
1st a non running 79 full size 4 door Waggoner. $125. Gutted it and it's now scattered everywhere.
2nd an 82 2 door full size Cherokee running but no reverse for $1200. Worst one. Gutted with most parts in the back.
3rd is the 95 yj for $900. Ran very poorly when I got it. I beat it like it owes me money.
4th was a running 55' CJ that I traded for the 87 k5. I felt like a sinner thinking of how to change things on it.
5th is this 89 Comanche. Not sure where it's going. Maybe run it around till something major grenades then pull parts for the yj

My brother does demo derbies, and I'm into 4x4s, so we are always coming up with some cheapo pile of crap to thrash around in. I only have 9 vehicles lol. He has like 30-40 that are spewing forth into his neighbors yard. He does have some jewels weaseled away in there though, a couple of 76-79 ford highboys, an 80ish scout, several international pickups of various years, a Nash, an old imperial ( a demo guys dream car), a suicide door Lincoln, an old Chevy convertible, and many many more
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

We are planning another trip to Attica, Indiana. June 30- July 1 weekend.

Is there anyone here that ever goes there?

We should have a good turnout. As far as I know, there is at least 10 trucks/jeeps/buggies/jalopies going, and who knows how many 4 wheelers and utvs. Poor ol Stucky will probably be on 31s :shrug:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I just changed my oil and noticed a squalling sound under hood. I think it's the alternator.

I assume that is a sure sign it's about to be toast. Correct?

Is the ad244 alternator still the desired upgrade? How many amps should I get?

When I did the lights, I shopped around locally for the ad244. Napa can get 200 amp ad244s. Is that too much?
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Anyone?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

_STUCKY wrote:... Napa can get 200 amp ad244s. Is that too much?
My junk yard AD244 benched that stock. Best $50 I spent on the truck. :rock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

So that's the one I want to get? The 200 amp version?

The local oriellys couldn't find a 200 amp ad244. The people at napa are better at finding parts. At oriellys, I don't even mess with asking about non stock parts anymore, unless there is a certain guy working. Funny thing happened when I was changing the headlights to the 9011 bulb. I walk into napa with a hi and a low in each hand. The guy says, "let me guess.... You want to replace 1 and change the other..." Should have seen the looks I was getting at both places when I was putting the semi float 14 bolt under the rear of the 91 k5 with disk brakes.... Axle from a 89 heavy half, calipers/pads/rotors from the front of 91 k5, custom brackets from a guy on pirate4x4, braided stainless steel brake lines from a corvette, and wheel studs from a 3/4 ton. Or finding the correct seal for a tj 1 piece dana 30 shaft into a yj dana 30 housing with the CAD. Or having napa order an el12 relay for the led taillights on the yj. "that wont work, it doesnt say led in the book". "order it. Thats the one i want". They know I do my research...
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I found the same problem with most of these other auto parts stores. They dont know what your talking about if its not on their computer. My local napa is all car guys, if I come in and tell them I want this bolt or this relay or this bulb they give it to me for the same reason. They know I was looking around and doing my reasearch. Hell even they tell me about the stuff they buy to upgrade or modify their cars. The place really lives up to the slogan of napa know how. :)
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't get hung up on the amp rating. There is no standardized rating system. The stock 130A rated alternator will likely bench over 200 amps. Take some time and read through the Bigger Alternator thread if you need some clarity. Avoid the New lifetime warranty NAPA alternators.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Ok, thats what I was looking for. Thanks. I will read through that again before I get one. May wait for it to actually die before replacing it.

In non s10 news, my yj has been getting some much needed attention. Since taking it to Washita in Farmington, Missouri, it has had 1 tank of gas run through it. We were using it when we built a fence row a couple weeks ago when i noticed something (rock/grit/crud/?) got between the rotors and the pads on the Dana 30 and ruined my rotors, both sides. So I fixed that and went flying around the driveway doing brake checks. That's about the time I saw power steering fluid running down the leaf springs. Pop the hood and see the pressurized line had all but unscrewed itself. Then I see that the air intake tube is off at the throttle body, then a manifold bolt was missing, then the bolts that hold the radiator were loose, then the wires going to the alternator were loose. Fixed a vaccuum leak by robbing a line off the comanche. Since the vacuum disconnect on my Dana 30 doesn't disengage, I pulled all the lines for that and plugged them. I also went a little sawzall crazy and cut off a bunch of low hanging bolts and brackets that are unneeded. I pulled out every thing but the seats and gave it a very thorough bath. I think I'm just down to little things on it now, but I'm sure I'm gonna find more bolts loose. I still need to pull the rear brakes apart and look at them and I'm thinking about painting the bottom of it black to cover up a patch under the drivers side door. I also tried to tighten up the bikini top and pulled a piece of Velcro off, so it came off and needs to go to my aunt to sew a new one on.

When something goes pop on it, it's gonna be time for upgrades. I've been drooling over a 231/231 doubler kit. With that and 4.88 gears and the ax5's 3.92 first gear, I'll have a 104 crawl ratio :punch:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well, I might as well update this a little bit...

I have been getting the yj ready for a trip to Attica on June 30th. In Farmington I bashed the muffler on a rock, and it eventually blew the bottom out. So I cut it off, added a "thrush" muffler, and got rid of the over the axle section. It sounds like a little ricer now. At this point, I'm sure it's ready, but last Thursday I found out my buddy with the black CJ was going to Flat Nasty in Salem, Missouri on Friday. So with less than 24 hours to button it all up, I went into a mad panic. The jeep actually needed very little, it was the truck and trailer that needed the attention. Sorry, no pictures from flat nasty. I went on this no gizmo kick, the phone was left in the truck, and I only got pics of drunks playing on a hammock. I did however get to ride in a buggy built for KoH (king of the hammers, look it up, enjoy) that probably cost more to build than I make in a year or two. Stucky did pretty good, the only issue was the clutch acting up, but I think me bouncing off the rev limiter and the heat are to blame for that. I would let it sit, then start it and pump the clutch for a little bit and it would be fine for a while. I did have to get pulled out when it did that and wouldn't let me shift while the back left tire was like 10 inches in the air, the only time I got pulled out all weekend. My buddy bent a leaf spring into an S shape, though.

So, tires have been on my to get list for the yj for a while now. I prowl Craigslist religiously. A few weeks ago I picked up some bald 33x14(?)x15 boggers (boogers) on 6 lug Mickey Thompson classic IIs for $150. Tire are junk, but wheels are nice and will eventually go on the 91 k5 with the Toyo mts. Boogers, since the were so bald, got cut with a tire groover and slapped on stock yj wheels. I didn't like them cause the backpacking on the stock wheels is terrible and they kept snagging the brake lines, so they came off. I've got a guy calling me now to buy the booger, I won't miss them. Back to Craigslist, I found some 15x10 with 4 inch back spacing black steel wheels for the yj for $125. Then last night I went and picked up four (4) 35x15.5x15 super swamper tsl sx tires on 15x12 "Jackman" wheels for $300. I had to sell the wheels and tires that came on the mj to have enough. I did a little research on the wheels and found out they are far from ideal for street use. I'll probably try to sell the wheels, and im not sure if they are true "Jackman" wheels, I'll look today. So the yj now has tires and wheels and the k5 has wheels, but neither is on yet. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for loose change, so it's probably going to be a week or so until they are mounted. Or I could just ask my brother to help....

You see that last part was a joke, see above posts for the dark humor
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Pictures of said wheels and tires:

The tires are going to get some groover action. I've been horse trading wheels and tires all week long, I think I came out ahead.

Oh, and the orange wheels are real jackmans. Whether that is good or bad, I don't know. I probably won't run them, and if I do, it won't be anytime soon. I may just hang onto them until I have another 1/2 ton Chevy to play around with.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Yes, the front drivers side tire is in the air.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

_STUCKY wrote:... the orange wheels are real jackmans. Whether that is good or bad, I don't know...
I say, bad. That is the OLD white spoke wheel design. The welded spokes were prone to cracking at the heat affected zone. They changed the design to be a full circle center section.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

From what little research I did do on the jackman wheels, the main problem is the wheel mounting surface. The company didn't have a tool to dimple the back side of the mounting surface, it's flat. Apparently the dimpled part on a wheel acts as a lock nut or however you want to think about it. It puts pressure against the lug nut and keeps it from loosening. That is the only negative thing I could find about them. However, the reason jackmans were popular is because they are made out of very heavy, thick material. They probably weigh 45-55 pounds apiece. One of the things that makes the jackmans easily identifiable is that the spokes are welded fully all the way around. Also, I don't know if they changed wheel designs or what, but from what I gathered the company went out of business quite a while back. Now as far as the ones I have go, I noticed yesterday that one of them has the holes wollered out a little, so I am going to make an educated guess and say that the lug nuts loosened up. It's not bad, still usable, but from what I've read, I won't be using them on anything that goes down the road.

And orange just isn't my thing, but that is nothing a can of flat black can't fix.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

In what situation do heavier wheels have an advantage? I know for good handling on the road and good ride quality you want the least amount of un-sprung weight as possible. Usually its cut down easy by buying super light wheels like forged aluminium wheels.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

No, I don't think the weight is an advantage at all. It's the strength factor that comes into play. You don't want to bend a thin lightweight wheel rubbing it on a tree or rock or what ever. They are a very stout looking set of wheels, almost perfect for offroading.

A heavy tire and wheel combo is that much more likely to break something. It's more stress added to, I'm sure, everything inside the axle. I fully expect these tires to be a contributing factor to major carnage.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

So there it is, the heavy wheel advantage is to smash thru things off road lol. Make sense.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I've been messing around with the MJ the last couple of days. The picture I put up a while back was its first outing. I had let my buddy drive it since his CJ was down for the count, he blew the radiator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48SN3BSbE20

So it sat until I put the 31x10.5 Goodyear authorities on TJ wheels on. That alone seems to have improved the value of it tremendously. The kid I got it from wanted to see it gone because of 1 thing, death wobble. I am 90% sure it was his junk tires.

Since that picture, the interior has been gutted, leaving only the dash, seat, and carpet. A hole in the drivers side floorboard got patched with a piece of scrap that came out of a dishwasher that was in the back of it the mj when I got it. The rear bumper got magled by my buddy, and the frame had a tear in it at the back, so I torched it off at the tear. I found a plastic box in the shed that is a perfect fit between the wheel wells and the front of the bed. Then I used a bracket we took out of one of our tractors to mount it. I have the box where I can just lift it out, but it won't flop backwards while I'm going up a hill. I also put a piece of flat stock that I found at the back of the bed to hold the bed mat down so it doesn't slide out when the tailgate is off. It also got an open element air filter, because the stock box was angering me.

Future plans include:
92+ jeep xj radiator and the hoses to go with it
Gut everything under the hood that isn't nessicary for it to run
New brake lines from master cylinder to rear axle
Cut the door hinges to make the doors removable, like a real jeep
Put in a cb if I can find one for $0
Abuse it
Have fun while abusing it

Oh and I didn't think I was going to get the title for it, but a couple hours after I had torched off the bumper, I got a text saying he had found the title. Still haven't gone to pick it up, though. If I can get this ready by June 30th, it's going to Attica. If not, I'll take the yj.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well I swapped in a 92+ XJ Cherokee radiator, it went flawlessly. I didn't have to change any hoses. I did however eliminate the heater and AC.

And I saw the yj has a worn out motor mount. The search is now on for polyurethane motor mounts for a 4 cylinder yj.

Sometimes I feel like I have too many projects....

Edit: that didn't take long ... http://browndogindustries.com/Wrangler- ... 5-25L.aspx
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

The Comanche is most likely not going to be ready for the Attica trip. I still haven't messed with the brake lines or vacuum lines. There are a few other things it would need also. If I get the time to mess with it this week, I'll do what i can.

On the yj, I ordered up the polyurathane motor mounts, but they won't be here until after I get back from Attica. I borrowed a tire groover from a guy and went to town on the 35s. I did 2 different patterns. The better 2 tires got a more aggressive pattern and put on the back. The tires work much better now.

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Ooooooh my god! I just spent over an hour typing out a report from Attica! Went to upload pictures, and lost it all!!!!

I am not typing it again so let's do the cliff notes:

My beater jeep is fancier than everything I wheeled with, what with my fuel injection and auto, power windows, coil springs and what not. I was the guy on the smallest tires, with 31s. It did just fine, except I think it needs a water pump. I came home Saturday because I couldn't get a new water pump.

Picture from about 2 am Friday morning:

Only pic I took:

Edit: fixed pictures
Last edited by _STUCKY on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Nope not working. :)
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I had time to put the new Brown Dog motor mounts in the YJ today.

And I had time to play a little.

It was a very easy, straight forward process. Follow the instructions and it will not take too long. If you own a jeep, I highly recommend these mounts. http://browndogindustries.com/

And a little tech:

CAD fix for xj, mj, yj or any other j with a CAD Dana 30. Should work on dodges also, don't blame me if it doesn't...
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... =9&t=18415

Very clean kinda homemade roof rack, might be nice for the non-zr5 guys, and I'm sure it's more stout than the zr5 rack
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1069302
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Small update.

Last weekend I went and grabbed the skid plates off of a 96' zr2 regular cab. I didn't get the brackets for the rear of the engine skid plate and the one for the gas tank is too shallow. It could probably be made to work, but I probably won't mess with it, I'll just find another at some point. It's not like I use the s10 for off roading....yet...

For the transfer case skid, I used a 3/8 tap to make threads in the crossmember.

Now what I'm really wanting to share is this:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1070560

I found out about this yesterday. It's an off road benefit fundraiser thing for a little boy with leukemia. I had already been wanting to get the jeeps back out since they are both in a functioning state, but when I found out about this, I knew I now had plans. It is literally about 3 miles from my dads house. To make it even better, I know who the guys are that are putting it on, although not well. I got ahold of them yesterday and asked if it was ok to bring down both jeeps this week since my brother has a demo derby Saturday, so I won't have a trailer. It's all a gogo. I looked both jeeps over really good and from what I can tell the mj needs the cone air filter cleaned and oiled and the yj needs washed (I don't wanna hear it lol).

I will happily support this cause. I have had 1 friend pass away when she was I believe 17 from leukemia, and I have another that was diagnosed exactly 11 years ago yesterday. He is still going strong. Click the link for more information about the event.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

The benefit went well. They had some excellent food for $5 a plate, among other things. The blue TJ from the first post came out on street tires and got stuck almost immediately in the dry creek bottom, so my buddy and his lady got in the MJ with my other buddy. We didn't have any problems after that, except the ladies whining about the dust. Got to see a good show in the 1 still muddy spot they had out there. No one was making through, but almost everyone tried. Good entertainment, if you ask me. I went back on Sunday, by myself, to hopefully play around some more, and come to find out my 2 jeeps were the ONLY 2 trail rigs still there not broken. :thumb:

As always, I search Craigslist everyday. You never know what will come up. Tuesday I went and picked up a windjammer for the yj. The guy also had a bikini top for a CJ that I picked up for my buddy (he doesn't know yet, and better like it). He also threw in a set of windows for a soft top. I've got a full top for it, but haven't had it on for like a year or more.

Then I went another hour north and picked up a set of fake bead locks for a jeep. I payed the same as I did for the wheels on the yj, $125. These are most likely going to get put on the Comanche if it lasts long enough to get lifted. If not, well now I can have a full size spare for the yj.

I have also picked up a GSG 522 SD. I was wanting to wait to show you guys until I got a collapsible stock, but I'm gonna have to be patient with that. I went ahead and got the rifle when I saw they were on sale for $299. I think it's a decent .22 for the money, but my 10/22 is a better gun. The gsg is fun though, I need more magazines cause you can pop off the 24 rounders pretty quick. This picture is with the stock off, and I pulled the accessories off the AR to put on this. For the vertical grip, I drilled 2 holes and bolted on the rail, $6 in tapered bolts. The ar will eventually get better stuff.

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I finally put the Mickey Thompson wheels on the K5 :rock:

Edit: There's only 1 vehicle in my stable without aggressive tires, and it is eating at me... Any one wanna guess which one? :mrgreen:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with regearing axles with US Standard Gears. I've only used Yukon in the past, and have had no problems with them, but the US Standard is going to be about $100 cheaper per axle. I'm wanting to gear the yj Dana 30 and ford 8.8 down to 4.88 with a Spartan locker in front and a mini spool out back.

I've been looking at this all on http://www.completeoffroad.com
They seem to have better prices than http://www.randysringandpinion.com

On a side note, I'm wanting to also add these to the 8.8, but I'm not sure they will work together.
Artec truss: http://www.artecindustries.com/88-MODUL ... p_294.html
Cutthroat4x4 u bolt eliminator: http://www.cutthroat4x4.com/catalog/pro ... cts_id=103

These are for my 95 yj and will most likely never go faster than 55ish
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

The truss and u bolt eliminator kit have both been ordered. :rock:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It's official. I've been convinced I NEED to finish building the jeep up.

2 days ago I saw on pirate that a group of guys was gonna be about an hour away. I didn't plan on going. My jeepin' buddy got ahold on me and said that his work schedule was changing yesterday and that he could go, and that they were going to be night wheelin'... So I loaded up and met him there.... Right at dark last night...

Now, my piddly little beater does have a heater..., but my passenger side door won't go on. It was about 25 degrees. I had many, many layers on.

So I get there and the first thing I see is a bronco, 80s model, on 1 tons, beat to hell, with wet moss dripping from the hood, hanging from a forklift, getting welded on..... This is my kind of a crowd! (Although I do not approve of there forklift/jack/work area. It did seem to work just fine though)

I had met a few of those guys before. I met a couple of them at what was called "EZ Muddin' " and I met a couple of them at "Jeepin' for Jaxon". And my buddy knew a few of them also from buying parts and Attica trips.

Once the welding session was over, it was game on. My yj had the smallest tires (35s, most were on 40s, one was on smallish tractor tires), was the only one with open differentials, and the only one who didn't know the trails. I did fairly well, I only needed pulled twice, and I was following a k5 on 1 tons and 40s locked front and rear. Those pansies and there high zoot lockers, pssssh...

The first pull wasn't too bad. It was just a simple creek crossing. 2 ways to go, the ruts sucked me into the harder line and I couldn't get the front tires up to the top. Out came the strap.

The second one however... Was more fun... I'm following a Toyota through this creek, he goes around a corner, and when I get around it I see the truck all but rolled over onto the drivers side, so they drag him through. I'm ready to back up at this point but my buddy is all like "it looks fine if you stay close to the tree". "The tree" is a windshield catcher... So I creep up to this hole, and what do you, it slides right into the same ruts the Toyota was in and my windshield was gonna hit the tree. I tried backing up with no luck. Out came the strap and in came the k5 on 40s. My back passenger tire was about chest high, off the ground, drivers side rollbar in the dirt. The k5 was up on the bank and he backed up with the intention of pulling me up the bank. It actually worked pretty well, but I had to get totally sideways in the creek to come up the bank square so I didn't roll. I haven't rolled yet and don't want to, and at midnight with 25 degree weather an hour away from my warm bed was not were I wanted my first one.

So while they are getting me out, the Toyota had made it another 50 feet or so and was stuck again. The bronco that was getting welded on tried to back up the creek to pull him and gets stuck. So the k5 bajas down the way off camber bank to get behind him... And got stuck. After some pictures and laughing, the bronco got winched forward a little bit, then tugged on the Toyota to get him out, but the k5... The k5, yea they tried doing what they did to get me out, with poor results. It basically rolled onto the drivers side and about half of the truck was getting caught on the bank. If not for the bank, I have no doubt in my mind they would have pulled it out on its side. So this didn't work. The jeep on tractor tires comes to the rescue by pulling him out the way he dropped in.

We all ended up leaving at about 1 a.m. It was the most fun I've had in a long time, possibly since going to flat nasty.

Moral of this story... It's time to get crackin' and buy parts, roll up my sleeves, and start building something that can keep up! I've bought most everything for the front axle, now I need to buy gears and a spool for the 8.8 and a slip yoke eliminator, and get it together.

I wish I could have gotten some pictures, but iPhone pictures in the dark don't turn out too well...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

From top to bottom Dana 30 3.73+ carrier, 27 spline Spartan locker, Dana 30 master install kit, and Dana 30 4.88 gears. That was a $600 box of parts.

I broke a u joint in the current Dana 30 the day these showed up. Is that a sign from a higher power that I'll be wasting my time and money? I don't know, but I'm gonna get a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt this weekend for a steal :thumb:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Here's the smoking hot deal I got last week! A Dana 60 from a 78 K30 dually, with the matching rear 14 bolt, both with 4.10 gears. Also, 2 inch dually wheels spacers, a Detroit locker for the full float 14 bolt, a lock right for the Dana 60, and a 26 spline u bolt style yoke for the Dana 30. All for $1000 and a set of mid 80s Chevy full size doors!

Plans for them are not set in stone. However, anyone wanting to do a sfa on an s10, listen up. A dually full float 14 bolt is 63 inches wide, with huge brakes. A jeep wagoneer front Dana 44 is 62.5 inches wide, and can be had in drivers or passenger side drop. 6 lug Dana 44 stuff can be swapped out to 8 lug. The same brakes can be put on the full float 14 bolt. 15 inch wheels fit over those brakes, front and rear. What's this all mean to me? Well, my buddy has one of the ever allusive ford high pinion f250 (8 lug) Dana 44s with 4.10s. It's way too wide. We have been both wanting to shorten an axle just to see if we can, all the information is on the Internet (pirate4x4.com). The thinking is we could shorten the ford hp44 to wagoneer length and use wagoneer inner axle shafts with the ford outer stub shafts and have a skinny straight axle combo ready. If the axle shafts won't work, custom shafts can be ordered to whatever length we need, and we would only need one, the long inner shaft. Anyone have any feedback on this?

So, my buddy asked me Friday night if I would haul his jeep to Attica, Indiana for a Toys for Tots run at the Badlands. Of course I will! However, he bailed on me Saturday morning. I still wanted to go, so I loaded mine and started calling around to find a co pilot. I found one and headed out way too late in the afternoon. It would have been impractical to pay to ride for the rest of the day, so we got a camping spot. We did not bring anything as far as camping stuff. Just 2 straight guys sleeping in a truck.

Sunday morning rolls around and the gates open at 9. We were in the gate at 9:10. No breakage, at least that I know of. But I did have some tire issues. I got stuck in some water with the front tires completely under water, when I got pulled out, the passenger side rear tire was almost flat. I used something I really didn't want to, fix a flat. Seems to have worked though. We had a jeep xj and a straight axle Toyota following us around. The xj was having a few issues, but nothing major. The Toyota inverted a leaf spring shackle on the rocks. Interesting fix for that was wrapping a strap around it going to my tow hooks, me standing on the brakes and that guy pulling forward. Worked flawlessly. My yj was useless on the rocks, but was great on the trails. It's so nimble. We did green trail, which is supposed to be "easy". It's not really difficult, but it takes you along the crest of some hills that really make you pucker up when you look down. We then went to red trail. There's a giant sign that says you need lockers and a winch and a whole lot of other stuff to go that way.... We had none of that, and made it just fine.

I took full advantage of the pressure washer they have at the campground, since ours is put up for the winter. We were the last ones to leave. It was a great time. Since the yj is clean as a whistle and not currently broken, I'm going to park it in the shed and wait until I have everything for the 8.8, then it's time to take it to the next level. The goal here is to have it locked and geared and ready for "winterfest" in I believe march (don't ask why it's called that and in march, cause I don't have that answer)
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I'll just leave this here...

I've got a guy coming to trade me a tire for the Opel GT. Yes that's right, I'm trading this car for a tire. My s10 looks huge! :shock:

The tire is a 35x15.5x15 super swamper TSL that I'm gonna use as a spare for the YJ. :rock:
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I should have a long over due update for you guys later today. But I'll give you a teaser. Anyone wanna guess where I am going with this?

HINT: it has nothing to do with the Comanche :D

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well... Reed was right...

My wheels didn't run "true" on a balancer... So I'm waiting for a call back from summit to see what the next step is.

And here I was thinking I'd have a good update for you guys. Nope. Sorry.
Last edited by _STUCKY on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Well, I can't hold my tongue any longer....

Post by _STUCKY »

This is overdue, but I wanted to wait until I had everything on to show you guys...

I bought these:

(This picture isn't mine, but I got the ones on the left, the full size bumpstops)

And I did this:

I took the shock boots off of all 4 shocks, because 1 I think they are cheezy and 2 I believe they trap crud in there.

This was a pain to get off. I had 2 cutoff disks, and they both exploded. Of course, that's after twisting the bolt in 2 with very little effort.

The torsion bars got turned up. I did 1 turn at a time on each side, drove it, measured, and repeat until I bottomed out the passenger side, then backed it off about 1/2 turn and leveled the other side. I gained 1 3/8 inches. The local alignment guru said they were fine, and worked his magic. Shortly after that, I noticed 1 of the CV boots slinging grease, so it got a hose clamp and refilled. All 4 ball joints have been replaced. I have MOOG pitman and idler arms to go on, then another alignment.

Then I got a deal on 6 very used 33x12.5s. If you all recall my point about tow hooks being important, you will remember the pictures I posted in the "What did you do to your Crew today?" thread of the bed getting all mangled. The solution here was simple. Loading dock + tractor + sawzall = :evil:

And I waited.... And waited....

Until...

Finally! My wheels showed!

The local UPS is right by the local tire shop. We use this shop for most of our tire dilemmas. 1st thing today, I went and got the wheels and went to the tire shop. As F9K9 suggested, I had them put the wheels on the balancer right out of the box. We could clearly tell there was an issue. They looked wavy, almost warped. I was not thrilled.

So, I waited on hold for a very long time. The music was not the best music I heard today. This lead to a conversation with both Summit and Pro Comp. Both guys were very helpful and polite.

What I learned today:

1 company makes the "barrel". 1 company makes the center. I did not ask if it was the same company, but should have. Pro Comp then brings in the pieces to put them together. They are not built completely in house, only assembled. The barrel is sent down a conveyor belt and heated, so it expands. The center is then put into the barrel at the desired place and welded. Tolerances are 0.20 cm.

The cliff notes are that the guy from Pro Comp wanted me to go ahead and have the tires mounted and balanced. If I have any vibrations after running them, then I can send them back and go from there. He was confident, however the guys at the tire shop are skeptical. They had to use a lot of weights.

This brings you all up to speed. I did not take any pictures of the wheels. I did not get them put on. I was running around in a mad panic all day.

The plan for tomorrow is going to be making them fit. :wave:
Last edited by _STUCKY on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.