Anyone interested in Firearms and/or Edged Weapons?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Anyone interested in Firearms and/or Edged Weapons?

Post by killian96ss »

Guns
Remington 700 (grandfathers old gun)
Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder with Blackhawk stock
Ruger .357 revolver (aunts old gun)

Knives
2 Samurai swords
2 katanas
Gerber, 1 machete, 2 Gator folding, 1 LMF infantry, & 3 multi tools
SOG, 1 Vietnam tomahawk, 1 Trident folding
S&W, 5 different folding, 1 bowie
Rambo movie collectors, #1 hunting, #2 hunting, #3 bowie, & #4 bowie
Hilbern collector, 1 fantasy type dragon
Various other knives like, throwing, decorative dragons, etc.

I'm looking to buy a polymer home defense auto pistol in .45 ACP. Reed, or anyone else with a lot of handgun experience, what would you recommend? I've been looking at Glocks, but I also really like the newer Springfield XD/M series. S&W, Beretta, HK, Kahr, Kimber, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Taurus, & Walther are other options.

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote: Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder with Blackhawk stock
How do you like this one?
I just picked up a Mossberg 590 nine shot pistol grip with breacher as my tent / bear gun. I was a little "iffy" about buying it as I have not been able to find any information on this shotgun. It was listed as a 500 cruiser 9 shot matte with embossed flag and 23" barrel. No heat shield. Called the American. It arrived and is a 590. Should be a good one.

I also realized that I have been without a Machete. I chose a Cold Steel Katana two handed machete this time. Looks like a good tool and at under $20 the price is very right. Reviews are good.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, I'd go for any of the flavors that you mentioned. Find a couple well stocked gun shops and what works for you. Check out their controls and how they fit your hand. I am partial to Glocks and Sigs.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote: Mossberg 500 Rolling Thunder with Blackhawk stock
How do you like this one?
I just picked up a Mossberg 590 nine shot pistol grip with breacher as my tent / bear gun.

I also realized that I have been without a Machete. I chose a Cold Steel Katana two handed machete this time.
I like my 500 and I'm sure you will be happy with your 590 since it is 1 step above mine in quality. Some people say the Mossbergs are too loose (tolerances too high), but that's also what makes them so reliable. The looser fit on some of the components is more forgiving to dirt and powder residue. In other words they don't foul or jam as easily as some of the more expensive shotguns. I just posted a pic of my 500 on FB if you want to check it out. Basically its a 500 series 12 ga Rolling Thunder with a heat shield, barrel stabilizer with underbarrel picatinny rail and UTG tactical flashlight, Blackhawk Spec Ops dual recoil reduction adjustable stock with Power Pak raised cheakpiece and 5 shell holder, UTG picatinny rail with Tru Glo red/green dot sight.

I have some brand new Mossberg/ATI parts for sale if you or anybody else with a 500 or 590 is interested.
Long tactical carry case, black (never used)
Heat shield, matte finish (new in box)
Pistol grip (new in box)
18.5" barrel (never used, take off)
ATI 6 posistion adjustable polymer stock with 5 round shell holder and drop spacer with instructions (never used, take off)

Cold Steel makes pretty good knives for the money and their blades are notorious for holding an edge longer than some of the more expensive knives.

Overall you have made 2 good choices! :thumb:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...Some people say the Mossbergs are too loose (tolerances too high), but that's also what makes them so reliable. The looser fit on some of the components is more forgiving to dirt and powder residue. In other words they don't foul or jam as easily as some of the more expensive shotguns. I just posted a pic of my 500 on FB if you want to check it out.
I have heard good things as well. Rumor is that they will eat anything.
I have been a Remington "believer" , but all reports say that the 870 and the 500/590 are on the same level. They say the 870 is just a little more refined. I am a little rough around the edges too so the 500 should fit me well.
Gotta link to your FB pics? I would like to see it.

I was a little nervous buying it having never held or seen one. In a weak moment, I went ahead and ordered it. Things got worse when I got home and tried to do some research on the one I ordered. NOTHING. :shock: It doesn't exist. I found only one obscure photo of a modded Mossberg that may have started out as the same one. Other than that , nutt'n. I was starting to wonder if I did the right thing.
Originally I had been looking for the 6+1 500 Cruiser with the 18.5" breacher barrel. The shorter package was an attraction. Cabela's was scheduled to have the JIC Cruisers on sale this week. None were available at the time I was looking. I really didn't need the piece of sewer pipe with plugs and a strap anyway. A local shop was able to match the price that I wanted , so I went ahead and ordered this one instead.
I think it turned out good. I was really impressed with the barrel on this thing. OMG, it is over 3.6mm thick and sharper than the hole saws in my shop! The heavy duty barrel was what I wanted. I don't want to have to worry about banging this thing around. I am not sure that I was prepared for the razor saw on the end :lol: That might be a little rough on the scabbard. It would definitely be an asset if you needed to poke someone in the nose though :)
I have a 300 lumen tactical light that I am putting on it. Right now I'm waiting on the mount. The one I had was too small to fit the magazine. I'll take a picture when it arrives and I get it all put together.
My original plan was to wait for the KELTEC Bullpup 12ga pump. 14 rounds in a compact. I was a little disappointed in the Cruisers being six shot, but figured that I could make due. Now that this one ended up being nine, I think the lustre of the Bullpup is gone.
The plan was for a compact shotgun that we could get in and out of the tent. This ended up being a bit longer than originally planned, at 32", but it will fit under the back seat, across my back on the motorcycle and should be easy enough to get into the tent.
I have some brand new Mossberg/ATI parts for sale if you or anybody else with a 500 or 590 is interested.
Long tactical carry case, black (never used)
Heat shield, matte finish (new in box)
Pistol grip (new in box)
18.5" barrel (never used, take off)
ATI 6 posistion adjustable polymer stock with 5 round shell holder and drop spacer with instructions (never used, take off)
A heat shield might be something that I would consider. Post some pictures. If I'm not interested, someone else might be.
Cold Steel makes pretty good knives for the money and their blades are notorious for holding an edge longer than some of the more expensive knives.
That is good to hear. I'm told that they come with a pretty sad edge. From what I read, they don't need to be "knife" sharp. A machete tends to chip if the edge is too sharp? One report showed a 30 degree edge and it was razor sharp. I guess I'll see what I want to do when it arrives. Whats your philosophy on a machete edge?
Overall you have made 2 good choices!
I hope so, thanks!

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The pics:

Embossed Flag, There is also one embroidered on the pump sling.

Breaching barrel , sling swivel, tactical light

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Nice looking shotgun! How does the recoil handle with the pistol grip?

Steve, I like have the Glock in .45 and have a Kahr PM9. Both great guns!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Wow, if you jabbed someone with that cookie cutter, I'll bet it would remove a cylindrical piece of meat! Great for close quarters! I wish my 500 had the American flags like your 590.
Walmart sells Winchester brand home defense rifled slugs that work pretty good in this gun. IIRC they are only $13 for a box of 25. They are 2-3/4" shell, 1 oz rifled slugs with 3 large steel bb followers. They are a kick to shoot, and should stop anything they hit!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:Walmart sells Winchester brand home defense rifled slugs that work pretty good in this gun. IIRC they are only $13 for a box of 25. They are 2-3/4" shell, 1 oz rifled slugs with 3 large steel bb followers.
Great tip, I'll look for them.
EDIT: Checked them out. They are $12.47 for a box of 10. $1.25 per round is on the higher side when compared to 12 pellet 00 buckshot at $0.60 per round. Still not too bad a price for a quality HD round.
There must be a high demand for this stuff. They had only two boxes here.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I don't know why I thought the box had 25 rounds. :?: Maybe because I bought 2 boxes. I know they sell Winchester 12 ga universal target/game load boxes of 100 for only $25-$30 which is pretty good! Delta Force has some pretty cool 12 ga ammo! Check it out.

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

What is intriguing to me will be the new Kel-Tec KSG-14 shotgun supposedly shipping in the fall, 14 round pump bullpup shotgun.

Kel-Tec KSG-14
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Oh great, you just had to show me this! :shock: Now I want one of these too! 8)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There certainly are some exotic rounds out there. I have a couple friends who reload and can put together some exotics for me if I need them.
In Alaska we would open the shells and split the shot so it could be tied together with heavy fish line. Much the same as the Bolo , or Gaucho rounds. We alternated shot, slug, shot slug. Two shotguns and two .45 for a run to the dump. Fun times. Much like packing a winch, as long as we carried them, we never saw a grizzly up close and personal.

I lusted for that KELTEC KSG Bullpup. That started my quest for my latest acquisition. Watching the video again, it is still pretty darn cool.
At first I thought a Cruiser would be the filler until that became available, but not I think I have a winner. Believe it or no it just fits everything right so far.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Finally had a chance to try out the Cruiser. SWEET. Those Winchester HD rounds are indeed fun. They leave an impressive hole you can put a thumb through :lol: The law enforcement buckshot is nearly as good. The weight of the breacher barrel and tac light are just right. No buck at all.
I have the feel for it pretty well now. For me I shoot high left. A shot to the left hip will be dead center on the chest. A chest shot will take out the right shoulder. I think I have the targeting down perfectly.
I found the PPK doesn't like the cheap ammo. I had a couple jam.
The Beretta with the Lasermax is the stuff! I can just plain hit with it. My wife can hit with it.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Our last shooting session proved interesting. I found that L can not hit anything with the Ruger single six. That had been her "go to" pistol. Shooting the 9mm she was picking wings off flies. That and the growing boy prompted the new acquisition:
Ruger 22/45 Mark III Hunter .22LR stainless steel with weaver scope rail.

I had an old laser lying around and tossed it on there for fun. This should make a great plinker and light small game hunter. Whistle pigs are booming this year so there should be plenty of fun!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

Iv been looking for a new ccw gun since December. I want a small, dependable 9mm. I first went with a keltec pf9, read some bad things, and good. I found a local gun dealer who sells everything 4% above dealer cost. The price for that pf9 was $231 IIRC. But he plainly told me his colorful opinion on keltec and swayed me from it. He told me about the new Sig P290 that was coming out (out now). Looked it up online and was a sweet looking gun.

Well I was at his shop and got to fondle that P290, first impression was wow, it's heavy (20.5oz with empty mag). But felt good holding it. Went back online and started looking at similar guns, the kahr pm9 popped up (seen it before) but it's pricey! Then I saw a ruger lc9. But I had a bad experience with ruger...

Then I stumbled upon a weapon I hadn't read about and just came out. The kahr cm9, very similar to the pm9, just $200 cheaper. I think that's the one I'm wanting now. It's 17.5 ounces with a empty mag, plus 1 more round then the sig p290.

I really liked that sig p290, but it's the heaviest in class, 1 less round, and thick (when compared).

Only hand gun I own is a XD .45 service model. It's like carrying a brick, which is why I'm wanting a small 9mm. So pretty much anything will be way for comfortable, lol. And a little easier to conceal.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have the Kahr PM9 and love it. Very compact, reliable and TIGHT. Took over 200 rounds to break in and its still tight. Pricey, but lots of features. External safety is a nice feature.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

That's good to know. I read the difference in the pm9 and cm9 was the rifling, metal injected parts vs machined, less curves, engraving, and 1/8" longer. Internal dimensions are the same as the pm9. Just a less flashy piece. Oh and 1 mag, not 2. I'll have to ask my dealer what the cost is, I think I'm sold on it. Wanted the pm9 but that's a lot for a handgun.

Oh I lied it has the same capacity ad that sig I mentioned.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The PM9 is a lot. I got it for the features. The smallest 9mm you're going to get especially when looking for an external safety. That feature is nice with a pocket carry gun. The new ones are better than the old ones apparently were. There is a big forum on them too with tons of info, check that before you buy
http://kahrtalk.com/forum.php
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I didn't know till you said it, that the pm9 had a optional external safety. That's not a feature I care for. I do love the grip safety and trigger safety of my xd. But for a carry weapon you plan to carry condition 1, there's too much going on with a external safety IMHO.

I'm not sure the best way (for me) to carry something that small, but I have a cross creed IWB holster for my xd and I love that set up. I don't like the idea of just sticking a gun in my pocket for normal carry... seems like a bad grab on that da trigger and opps. As in a holster there's one way to grab and draw it. Well, rather it's in a fixed position...
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

There are pocket holsters that hold it in the same position every time. Practice is key. Perfect in a situation where you are to "give up your wallet" :lol:
I also have an in the wasteband which is what I love about the PM9. Less than an inch thick. Saves room in your pants so you don't need a larger wardrobe.
I've checked out the specs on the CM9 and it is a nice cost saver of a couple hundred from the PM9. I don't like the aesthetics as much but it is a great firearm. The two are nearly identical. Just a few cost saver options, the etching on the slide isn't as finished, the front sight is designed to be permanent, comes with only one magazine instead of 2 and the slide release isn't as finished. Other than that, same firearm apparently.
The only complaint I have of Kahr is the magazines are expensive and there is a gap between the magazines and magazine well of the grip. I remedied that by getting baseplates for the magazine from a CW9 which is a flat style, much better. As well as extended grips for the extended magazine that are offered aftermarket. Only purchase factory mags as aftermarket have issues, they are more expensive but I have 4 and they function great. Skip on the pierce grip extensions, they pinch your finger. I have them and after several blood blisters, tossed them. Few bucks well saved.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Been way too long for this thread to be dormant.
It took all day to clean cosmoline off of , and out of my latest.

Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. Nice SHTF rifle.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Nice I still need to get me one of these for my collection of SHTF gear. Some nice accessories available for them now too.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Ruger 10/22 with two 10 rounders and two 25 rounders. The 25s are ruger bx-25.

Bushmaster Optics Ready Carbine with a BSA red dot sight and four 30 rounders.

Glock G26 gen4 9mm with three 10 rounders, two 15 rounders, and one 33 rounder. 1 of the 15 rounders is not pictured.

The ruger was a gift from my dad a few years ago, the bushmaster and the glock were both bought new last year. The glock was bought for crackhead home defense purposes. It's not big enough, I should of gotten the compact instead of the sub compact, I don't want the full size. The bushmaster was bought out of jealousy. By dad bought a very nice DPMS with a ton of add ons, and wouldn't let me shoot it...

I think I need a shotgun to finish out my collection for the time being. The siaga 410 ak looks mighty temping...

Update: I added an ATI 8 sided handgaurd, Tapco Intrafuse grip, and Magpul extended trigger guard.

This handgaurd was a real pain in the arse to put on. If I had had another set of hands and/or the tool to clamp the little spring loaded ring down, it would have been so much easier. I do like it though. It's light, simple, and gives me options.

Update version 2.0: I picked up this little guy as an impulse buy. It caught my eye, and I couldn't resist. It's an H&R Premier 22 rim fire. 7 shot. At first I didn't think it was accurate at all, but I bought some cci shorts and will honestly say that I can hit stuff better with this than with the glock. It's worn out though, riflings are all but gone, and there is something wrong with the springs. I had my fun with it. Today I cleaned it up really good and oiled it and am going to put it up before I blow off a finger. It's old, but I don't know how old. And that's a quarter by it for reference to its size.

Update version 3.0: GSG 522 SD

Update version 4.0: Ruger 22/45 with Hogue rubber grips and an AR flash hider screwed onto the end. I also got the all metal collapsible stock on the gsg, along with HK push pins, limbsaver rubber grip (upside down), a riser that I can see the iron (plastic) sights through, and a folding grip. The scope is a cheapy I got at a pawn shop for $20. Total collapsed length is 27.25 inches.

Last edited by _STUCKY on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like a pretty good collection. The Bushmaster is .223?

12ga. is a good choice for a shotgun. You can use reduced recoil shells if you're worried about that.

I've been learning lots about the SKS. Think I just about have it where I want it. Stockpiling ammo is pretty reasonable too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Yeah the bushmaster is .223. I just want to get a hand guard, a grip, and maybe a real scope. I want to keep it light and simple. The DPMS that my dad has is heavy and bulky.

It doesn't seem like there is a lot available for the g26, at least the gen4. I can't find a rubber grip to fit. No plug for the bottom. I like how simple the little thing is though. My biggest complaint with it is that the barrel is too short. It's hard to hit anything.... Possibly operator error.

The 10/22 is a perfect gun. It's dead on every time. The 10 round mags suck, but only cause I don't have the extended mag release. The 25s are made by ruger. You can actually grab it when taking it out. It would be nice to have a pistol style grip on it, but it's fine.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

_STUCKY wrote:It doesn't seem like there is a lot available for the g26, at least the gen4... My biggest complaint with it is that the barrel is too short. It's hard to hit anything.... Possibly operator error.
Give something else a try. I qualified for my CCW with a guy shooting one of those. When it came time to split the card on end, he was still there trying after a full box of ammo. I was done in under half a mag.

Remember 20ft is as far as you need to be good. Farther or more accurate is icing on the cake. If you can put them where they count, under stress at three paces, that'll do.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Picked up some used Tapco parts:

Kinda updates the old SKS with some tactical parts. We will see if it is comfortable.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Eyesight not what it used to be = Williams Firesights for the SKS.

Image Image

Now just need some good weather to try it out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

They are nice i have a set on my MAC90 and they work well.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:They are nice i have a set on my MAC90 and they work well.
Good to hear! I wasn't quite sure what I should use. I like the simplicity of fiber optic.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Grawolf

Post by Grawolf »

Ruger M77R 30.06
Iver Johnson .30 carbine
S&W 469 semi-auto w/20 rnd mag 9mm
H&R .32 S&W long model 733 six shot revolver
Mossberg 600 (yes 600) 12 ga. pump shotgun
Gerber Mark I boot knife
Gerber Multi tool my son carried in Afghanistan, Marine issue. Semper Fi.
Silentmerx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Silentmerx »

Springfield XD .45acp
Taurus .380 (wifes pink version)
Thompson Center .308 rifle
Benelli Supernova 3.5" Shotgun
Deltron Ar15 .223
Ruger P89 9mm

Two new glocks and spirngfield xd's well be added soon.

Smith and Wesson Tact knife (everyday carry)
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Above post has been edited with my newest addition.
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Post by MinnesotaMudder »

Current gun collection:
Browning 30-06 Safari
Remington 270
DPMS 223 Orical
DPMS 308 Orical
Remington 8mm (can't find ammo)
Glock 22 40S&W
Mech Tech 357 sig rifle attachment for my gock 22
Attachments
Mech Tech 357 sig with glock lower frame.
Mech Tech 357 sig with glock lower frame.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That sig is pretty cool. How does it perform?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

It feels like a 22 when you are shooting it. It is accurate at 50 yards so far. I am planning to sight it in at 75yds with the new scope. I am also getting a 31 round mag for it tomorrow.The only bad thing about the gun is that the chamber dosen't lock back after your last bullet. over all the gun is worth the $400.00
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like it ejects left? Maybe that is just the bolt handle?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MinnesotaMudder
Crew
Crew

Yeah thats just the bolt handle. It ecjects on the right side.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Birthday present from L&T

A couple nice KA-BAR sharpies :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sweet blades :grin:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I just got word from Kel-Tec. My KSG has shipped! I know, I know, no pictures means it didn't happen. Give me a few days for it to come in!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:I just got word from Kel-Tec. My KSG has shipped!
Very cool. I lusted for one too. I settled on the 590 nine shot.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Want the Kel-Tec! just no funds right now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Cycle it all the way back. I hear reports that a short stroke will draw two shells. That will stop the cycle. Lets see a picture of it at the shoulder. I see lots of pics on a table, but they don't give a good idea of scale.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

KSG with sling, breacher, Eotech, BUIS and flashlight/forward grip.
Attachments
Untitlewwd.jpg
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

It's no KSG, but I edited the above post with the newest addition.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Top one is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .45lc

Bottom one is a Smith & Wesson Model 686 in .357 Magnum

Ruger Blackhawk.jpg

Smith 686.jpg
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
WileyHunter
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WileyHunter »

Some really nice weapons being shown here.

No photos ATM, but some of my collection includes a Springfield XD 45ACP, and a Savage .270 as my favorites. Plans to get a few new ones this year, include a 20 gauge shotgun for the kids (and I) to use for deer hunting, and a Windham Weaponry (founder of Bushmaster) AR but haven't decided on models yet.

The one I'm really itching to get out and shoot, is our Mosin Nagant, although I REALLY NEED to get the dies and recipes to reload for that one!!! 3 boxes cost me about $75 and had to look around for quite a while before I found them. Also have a civil war era rifle that we traced its origin, and found it to have been a prototype that had a short production run in an attempt to become the US Army's go to rifle. We believe it is in 'firing condition'.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Above post has been updated.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

WileyHunter wrote:Some really nice weapons being shown here.
The one I'm really itching to get out and shoot, is our Mosin Nagant, although I REALLY NEED to get the dies and recipes to reload for that one!!! 3 boxes cost me about $75 and had to look around for quite a while before I found them. .

What are you shooting through the Nagant that's that expensive? Just an instant search, I can come up with http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... tal-jacket for $18.95 + $15.74 shipping. .35c a round good for plinking. Reloading is a bitch for is since most cases are Berdan primed so requires a lot more work to punch primers and ream pocket for Boxer primers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Twins all outfitted.
30rd mag and Lasermax onboard. Now to practice dual wielding.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I just picked up a 92 series myself, great shooters and the styling is all there. I recommend the 92D hammer spring and Wolff reduced power trigger spring conversion. Makes the trigger very smooth and much lighter.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Got a link to the parts you are recommending?
I have been very happy with the 92. Lots of confidence in the accuracy and comfort for me. The Lasermax is expensive, but I really like the pulsing laser. Very easy to acquire. Mounted internally they work with holsters needing no alteration.
One of them I have had for many many years. The second was a birthday gift.
I have not had a chance to try out the 30rd mags yet. I was surprised on the balance they offered. They feel good.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20P ... mID2/dID36

I ordered the reduced power trigger conversion and a 16 pound hammer spring. The 16 pound spring is the same weight as the 92D spring from Beretta so you don't risk light primer strikes. The 92 is a wonderful platform. I found that detail stripping it was a piece of cake in comparison to a Sig for example. Very well made.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, so you ordered: 32372 - WOLFF RP TRIGGER CONV UNIT FOR BERETTA 92 & 96 and 28616 - BERETTA 92 & 96 RP HAMMER SPRING 16LB

I am all for some improvement to what is , already good :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yup, those are the two part numbers! I found the reset to be slightly slower but with a much lower, smoother pull. Great reviews on the beretta forum as well. I didn't change much after that. Went with an oversize magazine release to accommodate my small hands, a skeletonized hammer and metal guide rod all for looks though.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will give them a try. Do you think the hammer spring would improve "light strikes"?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

If a hammer spring is worn or too light you'll get light strikes. This one is a factory rated poundage for the double action only variant so it is factory weight and will ignite primers without issue. The trigger spring is just trigger return and has no ill effect on hammer weight. If you were in need of a new spring it's perfect time to make a change!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't think I need new parts as they both operate flawlessly. That said, I do recall a reload that did not fire. It might have been a primer strike that was light?
The way I see it having a few extra parts might be a good thing. I cleaned up the sear on my SKS and really improved the trigger feel. I had no idea it was that bad until I fixed it. If this improves the trigger on the 92, I look forward to making nice ,nicer. :) Thanks for the tip.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Beretta twins have been taking the pressure off modding the Avalanche. I did install the "D" springs and wolf trigger springs. I had to get a steel trigger for the Italy Beretta as newer models went composite on several parts.
I was able to find a pair of extended magazine releases and added the Houge grips to them too. Next on my wish list is WAL conical bushings. That should tighten groups a little. I never realized that the USA Beretta seated so loose. I thought about compensators, but that limits my holster choices. The conical bushing and threaded barrel opens the door to a silencer some day, maybe.
Picked up an Alien Gear IWB holster. Very nice and priced very reasonable. Lifetime warranty and shell exchange. Good people and product. Current wait is just under 4 weeks for delivery. Worth doing.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

The beretta forum has lots of good info on all that and I'm thankful for its existence.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Indeed. I have been spending some time there lately.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maybe too much time there...slides and barrels on their way to Pennsylvania. :panic:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Nice! That should be a fun shooter!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are baaack...
Each received the conical bushing modification by "WAL" of the Beretta forum. I asked that the modifications be "blacked" to resemble the factory finish. The pictures don't really do that justice. He did an excellent job and I am very pleased.
Neither were bad shooters. Actually quite the opposite. I have been very pleased with their accuracy. I really did not think about doing any modifications until after doing some research on accurizing the Beretta 92. Seeing all the talk of the floppy fronted barrels, I checked mine. Wow, the USA made Beretta had quite a bit of movement. Even the new Italian wiggled. I can see that a front lock up could be an improvement. There are other options out there, however I did not want to need a special or modified holster for my pistols. I like those subtle almost unnoticeable mods :)
I must say that there was some trepidation on my part. Sending off both barrels and slides to someone I had never met and only had a few brief personal message conversations. Add to that a sizable postal money order and the level gets slightly higher.
Favorable reviews over the last several years and the recommendations all linking back to the same person helped. A little mad money came through after waiting quite a long time and I finally took the plunge.
Upon shipment, and my PM reply that included the requested tracking information, I received a phone call. He seems to prefer a little more personal contact by phone, rather than electronic media. I must say that the phone call did make it more personal and was reassuring. He did clarify my "special request" and made sure he fully understood what I wanted "blacked". Contact through out was good. I knew when and where they were during each step. I was given a completion date and knew what to expect.
Image Image
They were both finished well ahead of schedule and promptly returned. The machine work is top notch. They both look beautiful.
I have not had a chance to shoot them yet, but I have no doubt there will be noticeable improvement now that the front of the barrels will seat in the same position each time as supported by the new bushings.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Found a good deal on a Rock Rivers folding stock so I upgraded the 590

Image Image

- ThunderII KE7CSK
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Keep us updated on the increased accuracy once you get some range testing in.
I decided this week to update an old favorite. Ruger 10/22 turned FN P90 is on order.
http://www.hightowerarmory.com
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

green02crew wrote:Ruger 10/22 turned FN P90 is on order.
http://www.hightowerarmory.com
That looks like fun. I have been reluctant to have ways to dispose of large quantities of .22 LR since it has been so scarce. Hopefully it will come around soon.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Dayem, this thread has gone around the world and back! :roflmao: I admit that I've not kept up to date on the Beretta platform ( I never got over my dismay with my government picking Beretta over Sig) but, I am liking more and more of what I see, lately. :thumb:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I'm looking for a .357 wheel gun myself. Since the purchase of our former duty weapons for a dirt cheap price fell through $225 for our fixed sight Ruger GP100's, I find myself with lots of .38 practice ammo and nothing to shoot it through except my wife's Charter Arms UC lightweight .38 we picked up for her last fall. I want a GP 100 but even used people are asking almost new prices for them!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is there a regional firearms forum up there? I check Northwestfirearms forum around here. nice place to find a ftf. As with anywhere there are some less than choice people. Pretty easy to find good people too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

There are a number of FB gun pages as well as armslist but for some reason everyone thinks used guns are worth new prices right now and few GP100 's show up. I can get new but $700—750 depending on model and finish is a bit steep!
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Ok guys, I need a little advice. I'm going to get my concealed carry permit, and have tried a few pistols out. So far the one that feels the best to me is a 9mm S & W shield. After checking the shops around here, I've decided to go with a new pistol. All of the used guns cost more than the S & W. Any thoughts?
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds good to me. 9mm is a good caliber. Thoughts on a holster yet?
The http://aliengearholsters.com/ are a very good value. The wait is about four weeks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK