Low/No Budget Mods

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Low/No Budget Mods

Post by marks10cc »

Okay... times are tough for some. I'm sure there are more people on this board than just me who have been laid off/downsized or have not received a raise in pay for quite some time. So I was wondering if you guys would help me start a centralized area for links to low or even no budget mods. Say... $50 or less.

The only one I can think of that I've seen is the Quad Beam Mod.

I can think of some others I've done on other engines, but I need to check to see if it's applicable to the W35/LU3.

Thanks guys.... I'm bored and what to fiddle with the ole truck, but I got $40.11 in my pocket :(
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You can remove your MAF screen...free.

Cut out your airbox...free.

Disable DRL's...free.

Disable AHL's...free.

Smoked taillight covers...$45.

Exhaust cutout...~$35.

Custom painted fender flares...cheap.

Custom painting interior pieces (like brushed aluminum look dash pieces)...cheap.

Shaved emblems...free (or cost of adhesive remover).

Get a sawz-all and make a convertible...cheap. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

you can cut the grill between the chrome and replace it with streched metal sold at lowes for a buck.....I did it for my 95 mustang but havent tried it on the good ol' truck yet. but it can be done..Image
You can make your
own cold air intake..... about 25 bucks ..

paint your tails the color of your truck with some kind of design on them.. so when you hit the brakes only the red part whatever your design may be will light up

you can install a HOOD LIGHT 15 bucks..

Install Lights in the bed so when it's night time and your out in the woods you can find you beer in the bed.. I realized I need this about a week ago when I went to the dump on base at 1 in the A.M. I couldnt see what I was unloading.. :!:

You can clear out your headlights in the oven if you have a sonoma...

you can remove the needles on your gauges and paint them another color. if you want. I read it on a ACURA forum... It looked real nice.
Install White face Gauges.

Install white face Temp caontrols...

Install chrome KNobs for you temp controls.

MAYBE THE FAMOUS RAIN DEFLECTORS>>> i dont know how much they are. But There is a post with replys
Im sure will be very help full.

And if you get real bored you can maybe make a nice center console for the back seat with some CUP HOLDERS IN IT ><>>> fiberglass and paint about 25 bucks.
I have been looking for brushed aluminum pieces for my interior so if anyone knows where to get some let me know please.
Last edited by 2bunik on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Most of them are up there-
Quadbeam mod , Engine block heater , Cut air box & modified headlight support , Heater control valve , Taylor Spiropro plug wires , Billet bowtie , Shaved badges , Laptop tabletop , Salvageyard- roof rack, shields, hitch (if available) , SS exhaust tip , 55w foglight bulb upgrade, aux. driving/fog lights ...

I'm sure there are a few more under $40 ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Drop in K&N filter too while you're re-working that airbox.

Clear turnsignals off ebay -- $35

Billet Bow-tie for the grille -- $30

buy a set of cheapo small foglamps to mount up under the rear bumper and tie into the reverse lights to you can see when backing up at night in the dark. (Maybe it's just a Blazer thing) $25 with a relay.

Universal extended shackles - $25

T-Bar crank - free - (Alignment $43)

YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE AN UNDER-HOOD LIGHT??? -- go find one in a Junkyard ASAP!!!
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How about Jim's rear cup holders , mount a Maglight, mount a fire extinguisher, add a power port/ cigarette lighter....

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I been looking for a good spot to mount a maglight and an automotive fire extingusiher.

I've also been kicking around the idea of trying to polish my Alloy wheels -- you can get the kit to do it from Eastwood -- they have a how to on thier site. Problem is that i bet it would take me a few days to do it all, and I need my wheels on my truck.

I do have a set of old 2wd S10 wheels and mostly bald tires out in my shop -- guess I could run those for a weekend and look like a gocart.

Link to the alloy polishing article: Alloy Polishing
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I would like a two cell mag light just behind the center console/ arm rest thing ... so even if you have two people in the back seat .. it will be right in the middle of them two.. actually I think that is what Im gonna hit up doing this weekend. today is PAY DAY...lol Im also gonna install the bed lights and will let you guys know how these cheap mods go..
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah, I have a 3 cell Mag - It doesnt fit anywhere--I used to carry that in the pocket on the back of the drivers seat until I realized that it was stretching out the elastic.

I carry a rubbermaid box in the cargo area that has jumpers, basic tools, tow straps, some towels, a poncho, etc -- I've been keeping the Mag in there.

**there's another fairly low buck mod -- build a roadside emergency kit.**

Where are you guys finding mounts for the maglights?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

If I left a mag light in container in the cargo box of my truck...
the container would be stolen and then the mag light would be
used to bust the window
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ahh--that's where having a Blazer makes that harder to do though.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:lol: I can get my clips from work...
Matt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cheap mods

Post by Matt »

white out my headlights in the oven? how? :?: :idea:
KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: cheap mods

Post by KYLE »

Matt wrote:white out my headlights in the oven? how? :?: :idea:
:?: YEAH, I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING? :?:
[size=75]2003 PEWTER GMC SONOMA CREWCAB, 1.5" SPACERS![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The same topic on S10forum : $100 or less add-ons

- ThunderII KE7CSK
TruStinger

Post by TruStinger »

i cant stress the importance of a good synthetic oil! something liek royal purple will work great also octane booster like 10$ a bottle will give you a few extra hp.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

Jim's rear cup holders :shock: pictures anyone of these cup holders.

also review of some mods would be great to help with the decision making process

Here's the link - Cup Holders For The Backseat -HJ
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

mounting mag-lit

Post by mjmcdowell »

I have an 02 sonoma CC and I just slid the mag-lite on the rt. side of the drivers seat front floor mount and the ctr. consol, out of the publics eye, stays put and can be removed easly, cost, "O", worth, priceless! be safe mjmcdowell
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: mounting mag-lit

Post by Retep »

mjmcdowell wrote:...I just slid the mag-lite on the rt. side of the drivers seat front floor mount and the ctr. consol, out of the publics eye, stays put and can be removed easly...
Funny, I keep a Mag-lite on the left side of the passenger seat and the center consol. Snug as a bug.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Mounting fire ext. in cab

Post by mjmcdowell »

Lets see if I can explain this.. on the left side of the drivers seat covering the track that the seat slides on ther is a small plastic cover I mounted a small black chrome ext. on this cover, I poped the front off carefully checked, re-checked fit and fit when door is closed,( it fits perfect just aft of th moulded can holder part of the door pocket) then mounted the bracket with small screws . It has been there all summer and It 's not in the way getting in or out of the vehicle. The ext. came from' " Auto Zone " parts store. be safe, mjmcdowell
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Yeah, I have a 3 cell Mag - It doesnt fit anywhere--I used to carry that in the pocket on the back of the drivers seat until I realized that it was stretching out the elastic.

I carry a rubbermaid box in the cargo area that has jumpers, basic tools, tow straps, some towels, a poncho, etc -- I've been keeping the Mag in there.

**there's another fairly low buck mod -- build a roadside emergency kit.**

Where are you guys finding mounts for the maglights?
The light I came up with works great in the S10.. Its a Smith & Wesson FL7 (police flashlight).. I bought one for myself and one as a gift for my dad a year ago.. Got both of them at the local Big-5.. They have a tag price of $99 each, but about twice a year they run at $25/ea (talk about a markup...) I cant find any listing on S&W page for the light now, maybe it was discontinued recently.. But its worth checking..
The light is compact (about the size of a 2-C light), has a 'no dark spot' ground reflector (non adjustable beam), heavy duty switch, and the interesting thing is the light body itself is the battery (rechargable).
comes with a changing bracket/stand that will securly hold the light in any position, and a house and car charger cables.
I have mine in my '03 mounted to the side of my floor console (tray under the dash) horizontally on the passenger side and hard wired to the truck electrical so its charging all the time. I'll try and take pictures of it tonight or tomorrow and upload them.. I have 12v power run under the front passenger seat and behind the rear seat.. so I just ran the wire from the charging base along the center console, over under the seat, and tapped in.. Its non-key switched (full time) power, so if I plug the light back in, it immediately takes it to a full charge and goes into a maintenance mode and keeps it topped off.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Ok, took pictures of the flashlight install..
Check out
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/t ... p?album=84

Also finally uploaded a picture of my truck.. one so far.. and an avatar... finally had a couple minutes to work on things :)
[/img]
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

chrome rear end cover from summit 26.95
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

cheap grille just installed

heres where to get 1GRILLE

[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thought I'd add the Dual Ignition Coils to this list as well as the End of Road mounts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The quick connect jumper / booster cables should be added in here.
They are really handy. Cut one end off of a good heavy gauge set of jumper cables add a quick connector (NAPA/Belden #740235) to one end.

Then run a cable to a convenient place on your bumper and install another quick connector-

I used 2 ga. cables supply power to front and rear connectors via a 100 amp resetable breaker connected to the top post of the Optima Red Top battery.

Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

More salvage yard parts:

Trip computer display, Homelink and harness $35 , auto dim rearview mirror $5, dual visors $20

Steering link with stabilizer

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

To the top

Post by _STUCKY »

This needed to be higher on the list...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Low/No Budget Mods

Post by _STUCKY »

How about the " hot feet fix" and tow hooks off of an 88-98 Chevy pickup.
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

Bravada hvac knobs & window switch plates.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
northsnoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by northsnoma »

^ Pics?
2002 Sonoma Crew
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

standard style

bravada style
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

standard style

bravada style
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:thumb: Nice
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]