steering parts need advice!!!!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kpietrowski
Regular
Regular

steering parts need advice!!!!

Post by kpietrowski »

i want to put full size idler and pitman arms on my cc but i havent got a definitive answer about doing has anyone here done this mod? im real tired of my passenger side tire towing in when i wheel any thoughts or advise would be a great help
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: need advice!!!!

Post by blaz »

I will post a little later tonight with info.
kpietrowski
Regular
Regular

Post by kpietrowski »

Thanks braz I dnt wanna keep wasting money on idlers ya kno haha I'm hoping this mod will help
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

So, here is a link to my buddy's Zed build;

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php? ... 0&start=60

Here is my opinion on the 1 ton idler upgrade;

It is a worth while upgrade if you are having repeat problems.
I have only replaced mine stock idler once and I now have 140 000 kms on my blazer.
The next idler arm on my blazer will be a 1 ton just because I can make the bracket and 33" tires and rocks will effect this idlers life.
Do I think the 1 ton idler arm kit is good? I would say it is great because there are many people having problems.

Do you do a lot of off road or do you run larger tires? What is causing your idler to fail?
kpietrowski
Regular
Regular

Post by kpietrowski »

Both I off road quite often and I have 31" tires the stock idlers for the truck dont cut it
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Here is what I am currently running;

Yeah, a stronger idler is worth while then. We just did the upgrade on my buddy's Zed so time will tell.
kpietrowski
Regular
Regular

Post by kpietrowski »

heres my rig have u heard of or know someone who has done both the idler and pitman? i here u dnt need a bracket with a full size pitman and idler cuz theres no difference in length like if u just do an idler
Attachments
20120924_131256.jpg
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: steering parts need advice!!!!

Post by HenryJ »

There have been quite a few try this. Miles has spent lots of effort making his function. Still a work in progress. One ton and half ton parts have been tried.

Problems are:
The longer pitman and idler arms come very close and can rub the differential.
The idler angle is incorrect requiring a tapered shim or pad welded to the frame.
Increased leverage on the frame breaks out the mounting area.
The link rod is no longer properly aligned and creates a inverse radius of travel leading to alignment issues while turning.

Several have tried it. No long term success stories that I have ever seen. IMO, buy the best OEM replacement style parts you can find and replace them as needed.

There is a custom built idler shaft that has been prototyped and is being tested, but this has been a very long drawn out process. I see no real conclusion in the near future at this point.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kpietrowski
Regular
Regular

Post by kpietrowski »

what r u runnin if may ask
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Napa professional suspension parts. I wheel with caution and ease up on the skinny when the situation requires. That said I have jumped it with the 33's too.
My truck is long gone , so I can not say how long they lasted.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kpietrowski
Regular
Regular

Post by kpietrowski »

never heard of that napa brand... r they better than napa chassis parts? cuz those are the expensive ones at my towns napa... i was gonna get their ball joints i used cheepy master pros b4 i cranked the tbars and did the tires theyre just bout gone im doin them next weekend thats y im needin advise bout the steering problem
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've had good luck with MOOG problem solver (all part #'s end with a T) and also more recently Raybestos professional grade parts (the ones with the blue boots) supposedly made by Spicer. Some people seem to like PPM as well, but since I have no experience with their parts I can't compare them. From what I've seen so far the Raybestos PG ball joints and tie rods have a far better design than MOOG PS or anything else available. I'm giving them a good workout on my 88 S10, so far so good!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kpietrowski wrote:never heard of that napa brand... r they better than napa chassis parts?
Chassis parts is the pro version. Master ride is their standard line, so yes Napa chassis parts.
I too have heard others swear by MOOG. Look them all over before you buy.
The key to making them live is greasing them every oil change and after deep water crossings to push out the water. Also a steering stabilizer may help to prolong life? It can't hurt and mine was an improvement.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kpietrowski
Regular
Regular

Post by kpietrowski »

Kool hj ill give the napa ones a look over, and killian96 I've heard of moog ps parts being good too they're expensive also so they should b better, henryj I have a rancho stabilizer and man when I put it on it was a night and day difference. I jus have a cheapy idler so it went out