Hello CC.net! I'm finally a member lol

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rinkrat456
Regular
Regular

Hello CC.net! I'm finally a member lol

Post by Rinkrat456 »

Howdy folks, some of you may know me from other s-truck forums as I've definitely been in this scene for quite a few years now, but I'm finally able to come over here with my most recent purchase. I found it fitting to join now that my 8 years of waiting for the right crew cab finally fell in my lap. Three weeks ago I became the proud owner of a pewter '02 Sonoma crew cab, SLS, non ZR5 edition.

It goes without saying the engine size, transmission and drivetrain type but I picked this truck because it already had a bed topper, 3.73's and an Eaton Gov-lok in the rear end. I'll have to live with the factory setup for awhile until the V8 swap "parts list" is nearly gathered. I already have a 5.3L with AFM on the engine stand patiently waiting for a heart transplant into this crew cab, and for the next few years I'll be searching for a 6-speed auto to compliment the aluminum block V4/V8 engine. My other Sonoma, a '96 extended cab SAS'd with Dana 44/Dana 60 and 37's already has an iron block LS1 and 4L65 so this '02 Sonoma will be my daily commuter. My last daily driver was a '96 S-10 2.2L 5-speed that was supposed to get this aluminum 5.3L and a T56 from a GTO but the body started rusting pretty bad and the 2wd sucked in the winter. My immediate plans for this crew cab include 245/75R16's and a slight lift just so the truck doesn't look so much like a car with a bed. I haven't decided whether to go with a body lift, suspension lift or combination of both...but I do want to lift as little as possible while still having full turning radius and absolutely no rubbing of the 30.5" tires. Wheels will have to be replaced and chosen carefully. Any suggestions?

So...I just wanted to introduce myself and kick the dust up a little. By trade I'm an IT network engineer/project manager and on the side I tune Corvette PCM's for fun money, but my real hobby is S-trucking. My wife and I currently reside in Minnesota but are soon moving to the east coast. No kids, as we just married 6 months ago, but we do have a 1yr old 87lb black lab and he's my hunting buddy. I hope to visit this site often (like I have been anyways) and hopefully I get to know a few of you folks along the way.
2002 Sonoma Crew Cab SLS, 4.3L...stock for now.
1996 Sonoma Ext Cab SLS, Iron block LS1 5.7L, 4L65, NP241, D44/D60, E-locker, 37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, flat bed, roll bar, 24gal fuel tank...zombie survival vehicle.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Hello CC.net! I'm finally a member lol

Post by HenryJ »

Awesome introduction! :wave: Welcome

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rinkrat456
Regular
Regular

Post by Rinkrat456 »

I guess I left out a few things...I have a sickness. I can't leave any vehicle I own stock. When I bought the Crew Cab it had a few paint chips on the rocker panels and the alternator was groaning. I have since coated the rocker panels, wheel wells and fenders with bed liner and I replaced the puny 100-105A stock alternator with a 145A version from an '04 full size pickup. I am also currently working on retrofitting a set of headlights for this '02 Sonoma with bi-xenon projectors, HID D2s 6000k bulbs, 55w ballasts for the main driving lamps along with projector fog lights and 3000k HID 880 bulbs with 35w ballasts. The retrofitting is easy, finding someone to make clear lenses for the headlight cover has become the real task.

Anyone here successfully vacuum form new clear headlight lenses without the flutes?
1996 Sonoma Ext Cab SLS, Iron block LS1 5.7L, 4L65, NP241, D44/D60, E-locker, 37x12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, flat bed, roll bar, 24gal fuel tank...zombie survival vehicle.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Your other truck is..... B. E. A. Utiful. :shock:

This should be interesting.

As far as wheels go, I just put 15x8 with 5 inch backspacing on mine with 31s (measure about 29.5) and they do not rub the frame at full lock. It's got HJ's MML without the body lift, and the fenders are not cut as much as they could be. I've still got some rubbing to deal with at the back of the fender on the front.

Lets see the pictures, and bring on the TECH!!!
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

welcome
brule & chris couldn't have said it better.
so keep the updates coming & let's see some pics.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

I thought for sure that I have seen pictures of your truck on pirate. I was going to post up a picture, but can't find one. Maybe I haven't seen it?
Serge PETIT
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Serge PETIT »

Welcome and good luck for your interesting projects !
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Welcome to the group! Where are you from and what do you plan to do with the stock engine from your truck? I am looking for a good running donor for mine in the near future.

I look forward to seeing your V8 swap. I had wanted to do it to mine but I just dont see it practical for my semi daily driving and now and then road trip use.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Rinkrat456
Regular
Regular

Post by Rinkrat456 »

Thank you all for the quick and warm welcome. Pictures will come soon enough, this weekend perhaps. Admittedly I've always been slow to get the pictures off the camera's SD card and uploaded to photobucket.

ApproachMedium, if your idea of near future is within a year, I'm sorry to report the 4.3L will be staying between the frame rails for the next few. I promised the wife this truck's major drivetrain components would not be altered while it remains our daily driver. ApproachMedium, I honestly see an LS-engine S-10/Sonoma to be a more practical daily driver than a V6 version. When you combine a lightweight, small, aerodynamic little truck with a powerful well-tuned V8 you can see mid to high 20's for fuel mileage. 25mpg is not uncommon for a 5.3L S-truck, and some are shooting for 28mpg in 2wd versions. Sometimes I wonder what an aluminum 4.8L V8 manual 2wd S-truck could eek out for gas mileage with stock tires and the right gearing...dare I say 30mpg easy?

_STUCKY, you probably have seen my truck on Pirate. I used to frequent that forum every day for inspiration and tech, until I realized that my green Sonoma will never be able to keep up with the big boys driving tube buggies. Pirate4x4 served a great purpose though, it let me see the end of modifications to my '96 SAS'd Sonoma with 3/4 ton axles and a very healthy V8...because now I can justify not going to bigger tires, bigger stronger axles, crazier suspension and more hacked up Sonoma body panels. A tube buggy is in my future, but not in this decade. As far as your wheel and tire recommendation, thank you. I was thinking along those lines...16x8 with 4 or 5" of backspacing will probably suit the bill nicely. I want the tires even with the fender lip, rather than tucked inside....especially on the rear.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Like I said, 15x8 with 5 inch backspacing with 31x10.5x15. I didn't want to run wheel spacers. Now if I could just find a zr2 rear axle....

As far as the front axle holding up to the v8, my guess is that people are doing it everyday. People say that Dana 35s will instantly explode with anything more than a 27 inch tall tire and a gravel road, yet I have been wheeling one, hard, for a few years now. You swap in the v8, then do what you gotta do for the fixed yoke on the front of the transfer case, and the way I see it, you would be ready for the axle swap.

Something I found out recently was that a full float dually 14 bolt is 63 inches wide. A wagoneer 44 is 62.5 inches wide, and can get 8 lug stuff swapped on. I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at.... And guess who has both? This guy does! :thumb:
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Practical to me would mean not only good highway MPG but also around town, and something thats simple to maintain. Now that i take short trips with it from the station to the house for work I find my MPGs dropping to the 15mpg range from my normal highway average of 18-19. Somehow I think that 8 cylenders is not going to provide any advantage at 25-35mph driving to and from the train station. As much as I would love to have the V8 mileage for the highway with the lightweight truck, it probably isnt going to pay for itself for the amount of times I will actually use it. I do also have a VW GTI which gets decent MPGs but I dont use it to drive to the station because I dont want it getting left outside over night.

Also a few other things that detered me from doing the V8 swap are all of the non standard things the engine would need. I read something about special spark plug wires because of how the truck is laid out, issues with space in the engine bay of the second gen, and having to tinker with it. I live in a townhouse for now so I cant really be taking my truck apart outside and messing around with it. I would need something that can be swapped out in a weeks time and work, pass NJ state emissions testing (no OBDII fault codes), and be plug and play with my electronics.

With all that said, I look forward to watching yours transform over the next few years with the engine swap. I know people have done crew cabs but I think this will be the first person to do one on the forum? and share with us.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

100% agree with that ^^^

You can rationalize all you want and dream of better mileage, but don't count on it. Installing a V-8 takes it into the realm of "toys". If your main reason is gas mileage in a daily driver, look for a 4 cyl. 2wd. If you need the bigger cab, buy a fullsize Silverado. The money spent on the swap would buy lots of fuel.
All that said, I too planned on a V-8 someday. Power to tow and I was a small truck guy. In the end I woke up to the reality that I already have "toys" in the garage. Dependability and reliability in the daily driver take precedence. Personally I think money is better spent perfecting the OEM stuff. A little polishing here and there, so to speak.
If you want to build the most dependable "toy" and can be comfortable with the fact that it is not being done in the name of "dependable","daily driver", or "fuel mileage"...go for it! I am all-in on building a V-8 crew cab 4x4.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rinkrat456
Regular
Regular

Post by Rinkrat456 »

_STUCKY wrote:Like I said, 15x8 with 5 inch backspacing with 31x10.5x15. I didn't want to run wheel spacers.
Very nice! I like the way the wider wheel pushed the tires out further without looking like "That Guy" who has seemingly 0" of backspacing on his deep-dished wheels.
_STUCKY wrote:Now if I could just find a zr2 rear axle....
Where are you located? I just picked up a ZR2 axle this morning for $109 bucks and the yard I got it from had 2 others to pick from. I'm traveling across the country in exactly 2 weeks and could bring it to you if you're on my way.
_STUCKY wrote:A wagoneer 44 is 62.5 inches wide, and can get 8 lug stuff swapped on. I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at.... And guess who has both? This guy does! :thumb:
Measure twice, just in case...the 1987 Wagoneer D44 I have in my garage measures 60.5"... I had 1.5" spacers on each side when that axle was under my Sonoma's front. I also have the matching rear Honda Passport Dana 44 6 lug rear with discs, which measures in at 59.75".
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

How lucky.. I have been looking for a zr2 rear for years..
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jongo88 wrote:How lucky.. I have been looking for a zr2 rear for years..
$184 All Pro Used Auto Parts USA-FL(Auburndale) Request_Quote 800-551-8557/863-606-0923
car-part.com :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Rinkrat456 wrote:
_STUCKY wrote:Now if I could just find a zr2 rear axle....
Where are you located? I just picked up a ZR2 axle this morning for $109 bucks and the yard I got it from had 2 others to pick from. I'm traveling across the country in exactly 2 weeks and could bring it to you if you're on my way.

Im just south of Jacksonville IL. If you are gonna be close, I could totally come meet up with you.
_STUCKY wrote:A wagoneer 44 is 62.5 inches wide, and can get 8 lug stuff swapped on. I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at.... And guess who has both? This guy does! :thumb:
Measure twice, just in case...the 1987 Wagoneer D44 I have in my garage measures 60.5"... I had 1.5" spacers on each side when that axle was under my Sonoma's front. I also have the matching rear Honda Passport Dana 44 6 lug rear with discs, which measures in at 59.75".

Ha. They are not close to each other. I haven't measured either. I'm guessing that what came up on google for the waggy axle was for widetrack axles. I will measure both when I have a chance.
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mars2878 »

$109 is a steal.
Out my way, they start @ $300 for decent.
If its cheaper, then either the axle is bent or in the neighborhood of 200k miles.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.
Rinkrat456
Regular
Regular

Post by Rinkrat456 »

mars2878 wrote:$109 is a steal.
Out my way, they start @ $300 for decent.
If its cheaper, then either the axle is bent or in the neighborhood of 200k miles.
Ya I'm not sure what it is about Minnesota but I love the junkyards around here. Complete V8's for under $300 bucks, transmissions and transfer cases for under $200 and axles are often times under $100...heck, the Ford 8.8 I got a few months ago was $70 + tax. I have a buddy in Maryland who knows I'm coming out to the East Coast and we've been talking seriously about me bringing him parts lol. I hope I have enough room in my Uhaul truck. :mrgreen:
Rinkrat456
Regular
Regular

Post by Rinkrat456 »

Jacksonville is a hair out of our way. :( We will be taking interstate 80 all the way to Delaware from MN. Stopping in Des Moines first from MN.
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Rinkrat456 wrote:Jacksonville is a hair out of our way. :( We will be taking interstate 80 all the way to Delaware from MN. Stopping in Des Moines first from MN.
That might actually work pretty good. I have a buddy that lives in Streator, IL. It's pretty close to interstate 80. If you can find a 3.73 geared zr2 axle, I can meet you there. I wouldn't mind a 4.10 geared explorer 8.8 also... :D :thumb:

Edit: Ooooh wait.... I must be dyslexic....
Rinkrat456 wrote:MN.
I read that as NM.

Edit 2: After looking at the map, I think that would still work out. 4 hours from Des Moines to Streator. 3 hours from here to Streator. Yea just let me know. :thumb: