overhead console w/ trip computer

Modified and aftermarket systems, lights, wiring, etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: overhead console w/ trip computer

Post by HenryJ »

desertpatriot wrote:what's your opinion of Autoloc in Portland, OR in regards to having a custom made wire harness?
Anybody that sells Flame Thrower Kits can't too bad. :)

I have no experience with them :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

So as far as the overhead console goes, this is as much as I have of the wire harness. Curious should I just go ahead and try to get a harness out of a bravada or maybe take this and splice it in to my truck as is? I didnt get the auto dimming mirror as the guy that I got the console from had no clue about it. Its no big deal if I dont get that function. Time to go pull things apart!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

OK I ended up being extremely bored tonight, its 6 am, going to bed and I have a working Homelink (finally I dont need the 1988 garage door button anymore!) and I have a sort of functioning DIC. The joys of being an overnight worker. I am sure my neighbors love me.

I did not connect the yellow or orange wires to anything just yet. Since the old console I had was left outdoors and basically trash I just removed the homelink door and the advanced DIC. I used my fancy tools and swapped all of the pins in the 6 pin wire harness from the trucks old 4 pin one so that would just plug right in. I did the same with the old 6 pin plug to the 9 pin plug on the new DIC. I plugged it in and it worked for about 30 seconds then went to -- for everything but the compass. I guess I am going to need to connect that serial data portion. When it powers on its getting old data it had stored it seems from its last good power up. The temp seems right though at 43 degrees but that also goes to -- after 30 seconds or so. Pooped now so I will toy with the idea of running the other wire down to the OBDII connector later this week. Thru all of this though, having the service manuals has paid off greatly.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

overhead console w/ trip computer

Post by raven2510 »

The console requires the data wire and vss wire to run all the functions. It will always default to -- until you connect it.
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Even the temp? Everything I saw in the service manual says that it shouldnt do that unless the temp sensor is bad, however with the old unit in the sensor works fine. So its must be the data line. Ill get to running that after I finally fix the fuel leak.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
MlePatron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by MlePatron »

Just chiming in on where things are at with your console computer ApproachMedium?? I have picked up a computer (actually 2 so one will be for sale if anyone wants it for $30 plus shipping) but I only have one complete harness and about 6" of the other harness which is basically just the plug into the computer. Any luck getting yours running? Did you swap the entire harness down to the plug behind the fuse block or did you just swap the plugs at the computer itself?
'02 S-10 CCMods include:
ZR2 rear axle, 31" shoes, 2" rear lift shackles w/ front torsion tweak, 2.5" RCL, 1.25" front spacers, Rocker guard, Tow Package, Roof Rack, light bar, heated leather seats, front tow shackles, trip data computer upgrade, 5-speed transmission swap, fuel tank skid plate, carbon fibre skid plate package, K&N CAI
Upcoming are fender flares, iron front diff swap, possible 2" body lift
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Mine is fully installed minus the one wire needed for the Class 2 Serial Data. I used a pin removal tool to swap the pins from the harness that was in my truck to the plug that came with the new console for the DIC. I unfortunately did not get the entire harness from the console to the bottom, so I had to just splice in to my current trucks plugs etc. I got the homelink installed the same way bashing parts from the new console which I couldn't use, and the old console. I moved the wiring that I needed to make the homelink work from the donor console to mine and that works as it should.

So as it stands its still been to cold out for me to be taking all that stuff apart and running that one new wire, so it still does not work correctly. I get the temp for about 30 seconds when I start the truck up, after that it goes away and becomes useless.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
MlePatron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Console w/ trip computer PLUG & PLAY

Post by MlePatron »

Just completed this install today. At Pick Pull I pulled the entire ceiling harness right down to the plug behind the fuse block on the drivers side. I also pulled the HomeLink and auto darkening rear view mirror.

Out of curiosity and before doing a bunch of unnecessary work, I unscrewed the fuse block and pushed it back out of the way so I could squeeze my hand in there. Unplugged the existing harness and plugged in my salvaged harness, hooked up the computer and reconnected the battery, started the truck and...EUREKA!!! She fired right up!!! Let it run for a bit to see if it would blank out like one of the previous posts but it sure didn't. All the data was there. So I reset the existing data by going to the fuel Econ and held both buttons down for three seconds. Pushed the pedal a few times and watched the current fuel Econ fluctuate, fuel consumed clicked to 0.1L. Content with that I took to swapping the harnesses.

If anyone does do this mod, when removing either the salvaged or your truck harness, take care when removing the clips into the truck. A few of mine broke off in spite of being careful so it was nice to have a few from the salvaged harness to swap cuz some of them broke too.

Also, I couldn't find a way to pull the large harness plug up out of the corner of the dash, so after carefully photographing the wire placements, I taped the two halves of the wires together to keep them separate then popped all of the wires out of the plug and pulled the harness up out of the dash. I also had to do the reverse with the new harness to get t back into that tight corner. I also taped the small metal connectors on the end of each wire into a bundle to protect them from getting bent when I stuffed them back into the dash. Reinstalled the wires into the plug once in place.

Up top, IF you have a harness with the Homelink and you do want to install the Homelink, there is a larger 6-pin plug that is grey (in mine) not black like the 4-pin plug in our CCs. The colors are the same but placement is different. Also the 6-pin has a dark green wire for the Homelink and one open pin. For these, I popped the wires out of the Console end of the 4-pin, and put them into the places where they should be in the 6-pin. I should mention that I had to cut this 6-pin plug out of the salvage truck or else I would have had to take the whole console. Took some figuring out but I made it all work and look as tho it was factory and I couldn't be happier. Took a stroll down to DQ for a Blozzard and all the data read perfectly.

Moral of the story, our trucks have all the correct wires coming to the plug behind the fuse block, but not up the harness to the computer. Swap out the harness and you have a plug and play mod. No splicing into the serial data or anything. I'm actually surprised that no one has ever tried swapping the whole harness, but I'm glad I gave it a shot and even more stoked that it worked.
'02 S-10 CCMods include:
ZR2 rear axle, 31" shoes, 2" rear lift shackles w/ front torsion tweak, 2.5" RCL, 1.25" front spacers, Rocker guard, Tow Package, Roof Rack, light bar, heated leather seats, front tow shackles, trip data computer upgrade, 5-speed transmission swap, fuel tank skid plate, carbon fibre skid plate package, K&N CAI
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

MlePatron wrote:... I'm actually surprised that no one has ever tried swapping the whole harness, but I'm glad I gave it a shot and even more stoked that it worked.
Actually someone did...From page one of this thread ;)
Works great! :wave:

Now wait til you try the tow/haul BCM swap. Another good one :)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Nice work! I unfortunatly bought a console with the computer and homelink from a kid that had it in his back yard from a blazer. The truck was long gone, so he did not know to save the harness. I did what I did to work with what I had. Used my resources wisely. :) Once I get that one wire run down from my OHC then I should be good to go. What I need to do is look up what pin it is in the harness and see if I can salvage a pin from another GM plug and make it so it plugs right in along with the harness instead of tapping in to the computer OBD plug.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
MlePatron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by MlePatron »

Tow/Haul is next on the agenda. I have the button and BCM in the shop, tho in my rush at the salvage yard 2 hours away i failed to get a picture of the RPO codes to compare options against my truck...so im a bit hesitant right now unless i can get back up to Calgary to get that picture. Doesn't look like it should take too long to do other than the theft deterrent relearn at the stealership. Gonna have to go to the city for that. When I make the appointment, I just tell them it's for the relearn...what do I tell them if they ask why it needs to be relearned?
'02 S-10 CCMods include:
kredfearn
Regular
Regular

Post by kredfearn »

I've read through this thread and I'm still a little confused :? on what to do. Could someone please sum all this up and tell me what all do I need to buy, modify and/or make in order to do this mod??? The overhead console in my 04 crew cab has just the temp/compass. Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You need the compass/temp/trip computer display. Look for mode button. Then you need the upper wiring harness from the C209 connector behind the dash to the upper console. This includes the interior temp sensor, auto dimming rearview mirror, and both lighted vanity mirrors.

Install and enjoy :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
MlePatron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by MlePatron »

If you don't want to go through the trouble of shopping wrecking yards, I picked up a second Consold Trip computer. Would be happy to sell it to you for the $40 I paid at PnP. Computer, display screen cover with Mode button. The downside is I only have about 6" of the harness going into the back of the computer. So this doesn't get you the auto darkening g mirror unfortunately and you have to run a couple wires down to the harness plug behind the harness block. I have a few spare female wire plug ends that go with that harness plug I could throw in too so all you would have to do is Dunn the wires, slap on those ends and put them into the proper empty ports in the harness plug.

If you're interested you could PM me your email or number and I can email or text all pictures of the wires in the plug so you know where they go. Or I can send my number and you just give me a ring. No problem at all.
'02 S-10 CCMods include:
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I finally got my DIC working fully yesterday. I ran the yellow wire down to the C209 connector in to position C on the plug and now the compass works as its supposed to and the temp works more than 30 seconds after the truck starts along with all the other goodies. My trucks harness had a green wire in positon D of the C209 connector and I removed it and reused it for position C for the Class 2 Serial data. Position D on the crew and blazer is used for the Auto temp sensor input. My truck has the plug for the temp sensor in the headliner but the sensor of course is not there so I chose to re-purpose that pin by moving it over.

Just as a note this is all because i got the OHC with the mode computer and no wire harness with it so I had to modify the trucks stock harness. I also added the auto dimming mirror to the truck by tapping that in to the RAP green wire which is on with igition and used the black/white stripe wire for ground.
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Pulled a wire harness and sent it out to a member today. There is one more in the local junkyard if anyone is interested.